Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/1/2016 11:18:19 AM EDT
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey

Now I'm going to have to reread a few of them picturing Idris as Roland. I always had a young Clint Eastwood in my mind. I would have never pictured Matthew McConaughey as the man in black. Two great actors, I'm betting it's going to be awesome.

What revolver do you picture in your mind with you think of Roland?

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#1]

How progressive of them.  It makes no sense.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

maybe he can be gay too
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Is King going to play himself? (that part was so retarded)
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#4]
The Dark Tower books were just awful.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#5]
a black guy as the gunslinger?  What no Asians were available or maybe they could have used a woman.  It could be more of a interpretation or some shit.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

If the author doesn't have an issue with it why would I?

“I visualized [Clint] Eastwood as Roland,” King says. “I loved the Spaghetti Westerns and all those widescreen close-ups of his face, especially the ones where he’d been left out in the desert and was all covered with blisters and sunburn. I thought, ‘That’s my Roland.’”

Ol’ Clint was more of an inspiration point, however. “As the years went by, [the character] became a more particular individual in my own mind,” King says. “He wasn’t Eastwood anymore. He was just … Roland.”

The author, who raves about Elba’s recent work in the child-soldier drama Beasts of No Nation, says he hopes fans of the books have no problem accepting a man of color as Roland. “For me the character is still the character. It’s almost a Sergio Leone character, like ‘the man with no name,’” King says. “He can be white or black, it makes no difference to me. I think it opens all kind of exciting possibilities for the backstory.”
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/29/dark-tower-rises-stephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey

Now I'm going to have to reread a few of them picturing Idris as Roland. I always had a young Clint Eastwood in my mind. I would have never pictured Matthew McConaughey as the man in black. Two great actors, I'm betting it's going to be awesome.

View Quote

A big one with sandal wood grips.

Seriously, a large frame, single action in something like 45LC.  I think caliber was touched on in "The Drawing of The Three" but its been a while.  Something 44, I think.  I picture very old guns with lots of holster wear and rounded, well polished surfaces.  Well cared for but lots of mileage.  Grips worn smooth as a baby's ass from handling except for the inevitable dings and scratches. and stained very dark from sweat, blood, and oil. A more elegant weapon from a more civilized age.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Diversity will be jammed down your throat whether you like it or not.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Lame.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Seriously, a large frame, single action in something like 45LC.  I think caliber was touched on in "The Drawing of The Three" but its been a while.  Something 44, I think.  I picture very old guns with lots of holster wear and rounded, well polished surfaces.  Well cared for but lots of mileage.  Grips worn smooth as a baby's ass from handling except for the inevitable dings and scratches. and stained very dark from sweat, blood, and oil. A more elegant weapon from a more civilized age.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i remember Roland flipping through a book picking out the ammo he wanted by sight, but I don't remember what it was - I'll have to look it up. For some reason a colt single action army doesn't seem big enough to me. I'm sure it had a loading gate though.

You paint a very close picture to what I have in my head.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

“I visualized [Clint] Eastwood as Roland,” King says. “I loved the Spaghetti Westerns and all those widescreen close-ups of his face, especially the ones where he’d been left out in the desert and was all covered with blisters and sunburn. I thought, ‘That’s my Roland.’”

Ol’ Clint was more of an inspiration point, however. “As the years went by, [the character] became a more particular individual in my own mind,” King says. “He wasn’t Eastwood anymore. He was just … Roland.”

The author, who raves about Elba’s recent work in the child-soldier drama Beasts of No Nation, says he hopes fans of the books have no problem accepting a man of color as Roland. “For me the character is still the character. It’s almost a Sergio Leone character, like ‘the man with no name,’” King says. “He can be white or black, it makes no difference to me. I think it opens all kind of exciting possibilities for the backstory.”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't care what KIng says now.  He'll say whatever he thinks liberals want to hear.  Roland is if anything a white hispanic from the kingdom of Gilead, which is sort of like an King Arthur's kingdom, but with gunslingers, in the future.   His first love is a Susan Delgado.  Maybe Susan will be played by fucking Niki Minaj?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not until they can force me to buy a ticket and sit through a showing.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#13]
What I pictured....maybe older.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will put it on PBS.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#15]
There are only two actors I know of that would play a good Roland.  Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What I pictured....maybe older.

http://the-wanderling.com/l_amour02.jpg
View Quote

I'm thinking they had a loading gate. The wiki says 45 long colt.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There are only two actors I know of that would play a good Roland.  Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro.
View Quote

I hadn't thought about Josh Brolin - at 5'10"  he seems too short to me though.

One thing that gets me is King always wrote about roland's blue eyes faded by the desert.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#18]
That's fucked in the head.
Fucking culture warriors ruin everything.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

They really didn't do it for me either.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

He can pull it off. He is one of my favorite actors...the only detail they need to change is white to black...
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't think the DT series would work well as a movie or series of movies.  It makes much more sense as a graphic novel or Telltale Games type game series.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

i remember Roland flipping through a book picking out the ammo he wanted by sight, but I don't remember what it was - I'll have to look it up. For some reason a colt single action army doesn't seem big enough to me. I'm sure it had a loading gate though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the very first gun fight where he slaughters the town that was a trap and in other places it tallks about cylinders and at the gun shop it was 45 long Colt. So a cylinder gun that is single action and in 45lc...
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm all for diversity, and Elba can fit the personality profile of Roland, but this is just bad casting.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Are you fucking kidding me?

I stopped reading King's books after he turned into a Progressive kook! This just cements that....
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Whats wrong with Idris Elba, dude is a badass actor? Are you limpdicks really that butthurt that a black guy is cast in a movie based on a book where the character was white? It has no bearing on the plot whatsoever, it literally doesn't matter what color the dudes skin is. The guy that wrote the fucking story had a hand in the casting for fucks sake.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Billy Bob Thornton would be a good Roland.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

Brolin would be good. Del Toro sometimes is amazing, but sometimes I want to punch him in the throat, dunno why.

How about Sullivan Stapleton or Timothy Oliphant?

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Gunslinger was truly a good book. I get the feeling that King was actually distancing himself from it in the sequels, perhaps because he didn't want to have the rest of his schlock held up to that standard. For instance, the kid should've stayed dead and he shouldn't have put his self-insert junkie character into it. It should've been a series about fucking Roland, and his all-consuming obsession with the quest he was on, just like the poem that is his namesake.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Whats wrong with Idris Elba, dude is a badass actor? Are you limpdicks really that butthurt that a black guy is cast in a movie based on a book where the character was white? It has no bearing on the plot whatsoever, it literally doesn't matter what color the dudes skin is. The guy that wrote the fucking story had a hand in the casting for fucks sake.
View Quote

If they do a movie that includes the Kingdom of Gilead, will Roland be the only black kid there for some reason or will Gilead somehow be an African nation?  It makes no sense dude.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't like movies that stray from the books they were based on. The dark tower series were bad books. It sounds like this movie isn't going to interest me no matter what.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

then write the story as a black character.  Don't write it as a white character then when its convenient to be PC, change your mind.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because it changed the story, there are sub plots in the book about one character who hates white people, and she instantly hates Roland because he is WHITE! I fear this is going to be like the majority of film adaptations of King's books and SUCK.

Too often now characters races are changed from classic stories just for the sake of diversity.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm sick of Stephen Kings bullshit.  Will not watch.  His early works were classic horror stories, now he just phones it in and talks about politics.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Awesome British actor, I'm okay with this.

For some reason, there is a seething hatred for him around here.

Anson Mount would've been a better choice though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If they do a movie that includes the Kingdom of Gilead, will Roland be the only black kid there for some reason or will Gilead somehow be an African nation?  It makes no sense dude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do know they can change things for movies. They dont just read the book as a script. I imagine they will change many things, just like every other "based on a novel by xxxx" movie ever made.

Wheres the outrage over a bunch of British guys being cast as Spartans in 300? Or the constant casting of white guys playing Egyptians and arabs in movies? Jake fucking Gylenhaal playing an Arab. No outrage around here when all that shit happened.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Has the Oscar talk started yet? I'm sure he'll be best actor nominee.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Awesome British actor, I'm okay with this.

For some reason, there is a seething hatred for him around here.

Anson Mount would've been a better choice though.
View Quote

yes to the red.

Its not a hatred of him as an actor. I like him a lot. Its rewriting stories to be PC.  Tell the story as it originated.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You do know they can change things for movies. They dont just read the book as a script. I imagine they will change many things, just like every other "based on a novel by xxxx" movie ever made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I know they can change things for the movie.  Hopefully Susanna is played by Weird Al.  He'd play a really good Susanna.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's one of the classic GD cliche butthurt topics, second maybe only to ranting about chain restaurants.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Because it changed the story, there are sub plots in the book about one character who hates white people, and she instantly hates Roland because he is WHITE! I fear this is going to be like the majority of film adaptations of King's books and SUCK.

Too often now characters races are changed from classic stories just for the sake of diversity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can just change it so that she hates men....man so many on here are single dimensional.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Idris Elba is a badass.  I actually think he would make a kickass James Bond, but I imagine the butthurt over that would be faaaar too epic.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why bother? Oh, that's right, because there is a ready made market to spend their money. I happen to think the Elba is fine actor, but, would you want him to play Bond?

Why not make Roland a woman?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#43]
The one good thing about the Dark Tower series was the first sentence in the first book. Which also happens to be the last sentence of the last book.

The series goes absolutely nowhere - it's just an attempt to convince us that New York really is the center of the universe, with a little Black Lives Matter thrown in for good measure..
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree completely.

I've been writing a novel about Frederick Douglas that was just purchased by a Universal Pictures affiliate and has been green lighted for production on the big screen in 2017.

My favorite actor is Brendon Gleeson. He will make a perfect Frederick Douglas, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

There was so much promise.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Then why bother? Oh, that's right, because there is a ready made market to spend their money. I happen to think the Elba is fine actor, but, would you want him to play Bond?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually theres quite a bit of talk about that one.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Kind of like a black James Bond, it does not fit nor make any sense, but in the name of all important diversity, do it.  . Given that diversity has been such a boon for the developed world.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I never read those books but Elba is a great actor. I guess I started the first but lost interest.
View Quote

The first book sucks.  the 3rd and 4th are good, the 5th is OK.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top