Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/21/2016 2:08:12 PM EDT
Hi all,

Just needed to share my disappointment with the events of today. I recently purchased a Scorpion EVO and KAK Shockwave Blade. I spent an incredible number of hours researching the ATF ruling about arm braces and their use with pistols. Based on that research I was fairly confident that as long as I didn't shoulder the weapon I wasn't in violation of the law. i.e. - it is absolutely acceptable to use a cheek weld with the KAK Blade.

Well today, I took my Scorpion with the Blade on it to a range that recently opened in my area. As soon as I pulled the Scorpion out of my bag a range safety officer approached me and asked if I had the appropriate paperwork for an SBR. I told him I did not and my understanding of the ATF's position was that I didn't need it as long as I didn't shoulder the weapon. He said fine, but he wanted to check with the range master. The range master came over and told me I was in violation of federal law. I repeated my understanding of the ATF ruling but did not argue at all. I immediately put my gun back and my bag and left. I should point out no one was nasty or mean or anything approaching it. They were very professional and respectful the entire time.

I'm just disappointed and confused. I have never committed a crime and the last thing I want to do is have my freedom taken from me. I'm going to go ahead and get the paperwork done so I don't have anything to worry about, but this whole mess created by the Feds is so bad.

G
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#1]
That's it...
NC is off the retirement list
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#3]
At least they didn't ask to put chalk on the brace, then check your shoulder on leaving
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny, these little napoleons.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Name of the range ? Why complain if you don't call them out?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#6]
That sucks for you and the range, both victims of bureaucracy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hi all,

Just needed to share my disappointment with the events of today. I recently purchased a Scorpion EVO and KAK Shockwave Blade. I spent an incredible number of hours researching the ATF ruling about arm braces and their use with pistols. Based on that research I was fairly confident that as long as I didn't shoulder the weapon I wasn't in violation of the law. i.e. - it is absolutely acceptable to use a cheek weld with the KAK Blade.

Well today, I took my Scorpion with the Blade on it to a range that recently opened in my area. As soon as I pulled the Scorpion out of my bag a range safety officer approached me and asked if I had the appropriate paperwork for an SBR. I told him I did not and my understanding of the ATF's position was that I didn't need it as long as I didn't shoulder the weapon. He said fine, but he wanted to check with the range master. The range master came over and told me I was in violation of federal law. I repeated my understanding of the ATF ruling but did not argue at all. I immediately put my gun back and my bag and left. I should point out no one was nasty or mean or anything approaching it. They were very professional and respectful the entire time.

I'm just disappointed and confused. I have never committed a crime and the last thing I want to do is have my freedom taken from me. I'm going to go ahead and get the paperwork done so I don't have anything to worry about, but this whole mess created by the Feds is so bad.

G
View Quote

Stupid of them for not knowing the law. Stupid of you for just leaving.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At least they didn't ask to put chalk on the brace, then check your shoulder on leaving
View Quote

?

For real or is this part of the provocation protocol?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#9]
GD thought I was trolling about sig brace nazis. Nope.

In before elitist with 87 acres to shoot on. MustBeNiceBro
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#10]
It's funny how the GD is 100% in support of private property owner's rights until it doesn't go along with their agenda.  You are no better than the left.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I didn't name the range because I don't blame them. I believe, they believe they were helping me not get in trouble. I blame Washington!
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:19:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where do they do this? That's fucked up as a football bat.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Ever thought of printing out the ATF rules and having them on hand when you head to the range??
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#14]
KAK Blade isn't nearly as comfortable to shoulder a Scorpion with as the Sig Brace it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I didn't name the range because I don't blame them. I believe, they believe they were helping me not get in trouble. I blame Washington!
View Quote

Nooo, they were being good little ATF bootlickers.

Which range?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hi all,

G
View Quote

Time to tell everyone else what the name of the range is so that we can
A. Avoid it.
B. Educate them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's funny how the GD is 100% in support of private property owner's rights until it doesn't go along with their agenda.  You are no better than the left.
View Quote

WTF are you talking about? No one asked OP to leave. They tried to tell him he was violating a federal law, which he wasn't.

Do you support people being able to make up their own federal laws?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Da fuq?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where is anyone stating the op should sue or that any of his rights were violated?  If you don't like it here nobody's forcing you to log on.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#20]
..and you did not pop off the blade and use it as a pistol?
CC police and deputys  should know about the blade and sig brace. Don't they RO that New Facility?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#21]
it's not up to a range to determine the legality of your gun
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Find another range or shoot on private property
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#25]

I don't get the utility of that 'blade' unit. Seems like a pistol tube with a foam sleeve has the same utility without risking being found in violation of a SBR law by being 'shoulderable'.

At least the Sig Brace is shaped to fit over one's arm. That thing looks just like stock to me...without being shaped to fit over the arm...and it's adjustable for length of pull. Knowing the ATF's proclivity for making shit up as they go along, (think shoelace), I don't believe I'd want to tempt fate.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't get the utility of that 'blade' unit. Seems like a pistol tube with a foam sleeve has the same utility without risking being found in violation of a SBR law by being 'shoulderable'.

At least the Sig Brace is shaped to fit over one's arm. That thing looks just like stock to me...without being shaped to fit over the arm...and it's adjustable for length of pull. Knowing the ATF's proclivity for making shit up as they go along, (think shoelace), I don't believe I'd want to tempt fate.

YMMV.
View Quote

Pieces of birch bark are flat, and white like paper, and you can even write on them. I don't know that I would tempt fate by keeping them. Better to visit the royal tax office and get a stamp and own real paper.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote
No, but most businesses don't want to be party to violating the law, real or imagined.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#28]
No soup for you!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#29]
There's a range local to me that will not allow AR pistols with braces etc...  It's private property and their rules, so I don't mind. They did give me a hassle twice on my SBR's. Just b/c I didn't bring my stamps with me.  They are just trying to protect their behinds I guess, in case an agent comes in and see's something illegal going on, they will wondering why the business owner did not report it etc...
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. The range master is an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Did you spend any money, if so I would have at least demanded a refund before I left.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Fuck em. Who was it?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Hence why I have my own 40 acres and can do what I want.

I never have to use a public range the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

GD thought I was trolling about sig brace nazis. Nope.

In before elitist with 87 acres to shoot on. MustBeNiceBro
View Quote
You live in WA. We are like 99% forests.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi all, <snip>G

And for quoting the entire fucking post when this thread is about what?  
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Doesn't the kack blade come with a letter from the AFT like the Sig Brace?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi all, <snip>G

Now we have OP quote Nazis? Damn
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No, but most businesses don't want to be party to violating the law, real or imagined.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are in no way party to breaking the law even if OP shouldered the brace, which he didn't, so the point is moot.

We truly are our own worst enemies.
It's not some subconscious need to inflict the law. It's some sort of idiotic dick measuring contest where everyone loses.
Name some other kind of enthusiasts that short dicks another enthusiast over a law neither agree with just because they can?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That's it...
NC is off the retirement list
View Quote

Because 1 range Fudd doesn't know the ins and outs of the byzantine mess the ATF has created?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi all,

G

What's he supposed to do? Get in a gun fight?

Their range, their rules.

OP is in the same situation a lot of people are; his most convenient range is manned by a Fudd that makes legal stuff a PITA.  BTDT.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like you didn't tell them it's not an sbr.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, they were being assholes who don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

Find a new range.

Chances are that once you have the SBR, they'll demand to see the stamp and treat you like a fucking criminal.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#43]
They have a right to be morons on their own property....
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Sucks, but their range their rules.

They probably thought it was an SBR.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

OP is in the same situation a lot of people are; his most convenient range is manned by a Fudd that makes legal stuff a PITA.  BTDT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi all,

G

It doesn't sound like their rules. Where did they say "no pistol braces allowed"? They told OP he was in violation of a federal law, which he wasn't. Then he left.

What he should have done is show them this.

Education is key to prevent this sort of BS
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
There's a range local to me that will not allow AR pistols with braces etc...  It's private property and their rules, so I don't mind. They did give me a hassle twice on my SBR's. Just b/c I didn't bring my stamps with me.  They are just trying to protect their behinds I guess, in case an agent comes in and see's something illegal going on, they will wondering why the business owner did not report it etc...
View Quote

The minute they asked for my stamps I would be out, the only people who have authority to ask for my stamps are the ATF.  Sure their property their rules, but they do not support our rights so I would never spend a dime there.

honestly the ATF is not going to ask the range why they didn't "report" it, to make stupid rules over that fact shows how stupid that range is
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should blame them, because they're wrong and stupid.  Not to say that the laws aren't stupid as well though.

Some of the stuff I hear makes me very thankful I don't have to go to a range to shoot.  Even when I did, there was nobody bothering me about anything or hovering around looking at my stuff though.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The minute they asked for my stamps I would be out, the only people who have authority to ask for my stamps are the ATF.  Sure their property their rules, but they do not support our rights so I would never spend a dime there.

honestly the ATF is not going to ask the range why they didn't "report" it, to make stupid rules over that fact shows how stupid that range is
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#49]
And braces r for the gheyyy
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Sucks, but their range their rules.

They probably thought it was an SBR.
View Quote

None of this makes any sense. What was the range's rules?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top