Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2016 4:10:56 AM EDT
Arguably the father of 20th Century technology.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:17:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Le facebook mee mee >:3 :P :^)
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:35:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, a remarkable man.

Wardenclyffe is less than 2 miles from my house.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:56:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I want a Tesla Death Ray
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:03:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Doesnt even get credited for his cars.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:11:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Fuck pigeons.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:20:05 AM EDT
[#6]

He's on our most commonly used banknote (worth ~$ .95)
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:27:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://media2.allnumis.com/1445_6854272056875cdL.jpg

He's on our most commonly used banknote (worth ~$ .95)
View Quote

I love how you still have a People's Bank.

...and how Arfcom still lets you select "Yugoslavia" as a country, apparently.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 5:36:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Couldn't pick Serbia :(. Asked the admins in the suggestion board to add it
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:17:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Edison was a child compared to Tesla's genius.  Oh and he still owes him 50k.  Look it up.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:21:33 AM EDT
[#10]
A brilliant man for sure.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:32:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:41:37 AM EDT
[#12]
And his music was pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:46:08 AM EDT
[#13]
After reading Tesla's autobiography I came to a conclusion (or a pet theory at least)..... I suspect Bill Gates, at one time,  read Tesla's autobio too and based Windows on Tesla's description of how he learned to control his "visions" .  Tesla was plagued by the brutal strength of his own mind. Good and bad imaginings so strong it literally blinded him at times in his youth.  Later on he learned to manage it.  A mental filing system where he could summon an imagining (projects), whole,  as needed, then file them back for later work.  This allowed him to almost never keep written notation on anything he'd worked on in his career.  A downside of this also help bury his greatness in history.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A brilliant man for sure.
View Quote

Absolutely, Edison was a fucking hack.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:02:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
After reading Tesla's autobiography I came to a conclusion (or a pet theory at least)..... I suspect Bill Gates, at one time,  read Tesla's autobio too and based Windows on Tesla's description of how he learned to control his "visions" .  Tesla was plagued by the brutal strength of his own mind. Good and bad imaginings so strong it literally blinded him at times in his youth.  Later on he learned to manage it.  A mental filing system where he could summon an imagining (projects), whole,  as needed, then file them back for later work.  This allowed him to almost never keep written notation on anything he'd worked on in his career.  A downside of this also help bury his greatness in history.
View Quote

Bill Gates based Windows on derivatives of the work of the folks at Xerox PARC.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#16]
From what I recall..didn't the government lay claim to all of his work when he died and then marked quite a bit of it as national security top secret?  I think they still have some of the stuff in an unreleasable status.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes, a remarkable man.

Wardenclyffe is less than 2 miles from my house.
View Quote

Birthday celebration there July 10, designating the lab an historic site.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fuck pigeons.
View Quote
+ 1,000,000

A lot of stuff Tesla is credited for never happened.

But he certainly invented AC power (and does not get enough credit for that) and remote wireless control.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Why isn't he going on the $20 bill?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Brewed in Colorado Springs of course

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
+ 1,000,000

But he certainly invented AC power (and does not get enough credit for that) and remote wireless control.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck pigeons.
+ 1,000,000

Tesla doesn't get credit for inventing AC power because he didn't invent AC power. He was one of several promoters and researchers, and the AC versus DC debate predated his birth. He was a key figure in it's early development and promotion, though, and very determined to take credit for things.

If anyone in the history of AC power deserves more recognition, it's Galileo Ferraris, a man Tesla made great effort to smear, and over a patent, no less. But, The Oatmeal never had a cartoon about that, so we never see threads about that.

http://www.edisontechcenter.org/GalileoFerraris.html#whoInvented

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I saw a "Tesla coil lighter" on Amazon.  I need it in my life.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Tesla doesn't get credit for inventing AC power because he didn't invent AC power. He was one of several promoters and researchers, and the AC versus DC debate predated his birth. He was a key figure in it's early development and promotion, though, and very determined to take credit for things.

If anyone in the history of AC power deserves more recognition, it's Galileo Ferraris, a man Tesla made great effort to smear, and over a patent, no less. But, The Oatmeal never had a cartoon about that, so we never see threads about that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck pigeons.
+ 1,000,000

Glad you posted this. Good read.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Fuck pigeons.
View Quote

rats with wings.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Do we have any PROOF he actually invented all this?

Oh and you can't really introduce a man everyone already knows about
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

or his contributions to guitar rock
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#28]
The Good Guy Greg of inventors.

Meets you for a patent lawsuit case.

Bakes pot brownies.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Earthquake machine: Alien Guy fantasy, or true?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Once fell asleep sitting in front of an x-ray emitter.

#nofucksgiven
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#32]
He needs no introduction
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck pigeons.
+ 1,000,000

Says Edison Tech Center.

Where's the $50K fuck face?!

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck pigeons.
+ 1,000,000

Given the extreme level of disagreement between Edison and Tesla that lasted for years, I am quite skeptical of info that attempts to discredit Tesla when it's coming from the EDISON TECH CENTER of all places. Edison was a big proponent of DC until the market showed him that AC was here to stay.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

When they are stolen they become "Edisons"

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I want a Tesla Death Ray
View Quote

Come to Western Washington

Light you up in front of wifey like a Christmas Tree
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't have to steal them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#39]
ALWAYS BEEN A FAN OF TESLA.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't think he discovered xrays...
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, the car he designed sucks.  It happily drives around decapitating people.  Who would design something like this?  A madman.  A madman, I tell you.l

Are there a bunch of Edisons on the road driving underneath tractor trailer rigs?  No.  No, I don't think so.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1883730_.html&page=1&anc=60604718#i60604718

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Given the extreme level of disagreement between Edison and Tesla that lasted for years, I am quite skeptical of info that attempts to discredit Tesla when it's coming from the EDISON TECH CENTER of all places. Edison was a big proponent of DC until the market showed him that AC was here to stay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck pigeons.
+ 1,000,000

So because the Edison Tech Center founder named the place ever Edison, it is somehow influenced by him even in death?

And, his influence prevents you from understanding the basic timeline of AC power development, that it got its start in Europe, and that Tesla, working for Westinghouse, did indeed actively argue for inventor's privilege to secure patents for his company? This is public record, regardless of whether or not you believe Tesla's version of the AC story over that of Ferraris.

Tesla's own testimony puts his three phase generator still years after functioning single phase systems had been emplaced and demonstrated in Europe.

Westinghouse got in the business and hired people like Tesla preciesely because of the buzz coming from Europe.

Tesla was not some lone selfless genius up against big evil corporate Edison. He was under the employ of a much larger and more powerful corporation that Edison's, and actively defending its claims to intellectual property (and Edison never claimed Jack and shit about AC. As you say, he was a DC proponent, advancing tech he did have rights to).
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#43]
A few weeks back a Greek fucktard that I knew from my shipping day posted this on FB.

I laid into him pretty hard about it and basically all he could come up with was he likes that capitalism provides him with a his job but he doesn't think it's fair enough. . Then he blocked me from seeing future posts

Tesla was rich at one point and could have been richer. He just didn't seem to care about any of that.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Every basement dweller's favorite aspie.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Hunh, you'd think you could spell his name correctly.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#46]
As I always say, Nicola Tesla fought the inverse square law and lost...so we dont have to.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Did your 13 year old make that OP?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Determined the resonant frequency of a huge building, early skyscraper, about caused an earthquake.
Early inventors 'leap-frogged' over prior designs.
Imagine if he were born in, say, 1975, with computers available.....
NOT Romanticizing, he was the Mind of all Minds.....
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So because the Edison Tech Center founder named the place ever Edison, it is somehow influenced by him even in death?

And, his influence prevents you from understanding the basic timeline of AC power development, that it got its start in Europe, and that Tesla, working for Westinghouse, did indeed actively argue for inventor's privilege to secure patents for his company? This is public record, regardless of whether or not you believe Tesla's version of the AC story over that of Ferraris.

Tesla's own testimony puts his three phase generator still years after functioning single phase systems had been emplaced and demonstrated in Europe.

Westinghouse got in the business and hired people like Tesla preciesely because of the buzz coming from Europe.

Tesla was not some lone selfless genius up against big evil corporate Edison. He was under the employ of a much larger and more powerful corporation that Edison's, and actively defending its claims to intellectual property (and Edison never claimed Jack and shit about AC. As you say, he was a DC proponent, advancing tech he did have rights to).
View Quote

You don't name your organization after someone unless you intend to impact others about said persons legacy.

Edison was busy trying to electrocute elephants and distribute power over massively larger wire systems while tesla was working to get AC from its infant conceptual idea into what has pretty much been the standard operating mechanism for power distribution in the US for the last century.

I am happy to conceded that AC type devices were in development stages prior to Tesla but Tesla took it from a conceptual and research phase into the functional and real world applied application realm of life.  Very much like the Wright Brothers did with aviation in that same time period.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Well, the car he designed sucks.  It happily drives around decapitating people.  Who would design something like this?  A madman.  A madman, I tell you.l

Are there a bunch of Edisons on the road driving underneath tractor trailer rigs?  No.  No, I don't think so.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1883730_.html&page=1&anc=60604718#i60604718

View Quote

I see what you did there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top