Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2016 1:12:47 PM EDT
I'm looking at a new target rifle.  The Ruger Precision Rifle looks good. But i would like some first hand knowledge on it if anyone here has one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Positive from everything I've read and heard, but I don't own one.
I'm waiting for the market to settle a bit

You might consider posting your question in our Precision Rifles subforum too
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Got to shoot one the other day in .308. With 175gr Federal Gold Medal it's an honest half minute gun. Very impressive for the money.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]
My thought? I want one. Have since I first saw them and saw reviews percolating through Youtube.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm far from some of the experts on here. I shoot quite a few PRS matches a year and my match guns are the traditional Rem 700 style custom guns that have been around for awhile. In my opinion for someone looking to get into the precision world there's nothing out there better than a Ruger. Two of my shooting partners have them and I've shot them quite a bit and to me they are great rifles, especially for what they cost. Both of the ones I've seen were honest 1/2-3/4 minute rifles out of the box with factory ammo. Handholds tightened them up pretty well. One of the guys put a LRI drop in 6.5 barrel and its a fantastic shooter. Are they an AI or other high end custom build? No but for what they cost and they modularity of swapping things around like barrels and hand guards to each shooters style is awesome. Thats what I've seen. I'd own one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have seen many at the range and read many reviews of it.

Bottom line:  It's a great value for the $.

That is to say, you get a lot of gun for what you pay.....and would have to spend more to achieve the same level of accuracy in a custom build.   HOWEVER, it is not even close to the best you can do, and if you have the $$$$ to spend, you can easily build a custom rifle that surpasses the RPR.   That being said, if you are looking to get into the Precision game and get your feet wet without a huge investment, the RPR should definitely be at or near the top of your considerations.

Here's a good review of it:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2016/01/09/ruger-precision-rifle-review/
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got to shoot one the other day in .308. With 175gr Federal Gold Medal it's an honest half minute gun. Very impressive for the money.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/meestermurphy/media/72A3CAFC-0A43-4F88-B027-C42831DCD248_zpsxqwdfsy8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/meestermurphy/72A3CAFC-0A43-4F88-B027-C42831DCD248_zpsxqwdfsy8.jpg</a>
View Quote

I'm not contesting your claim, but if a legit half-minute rifle on factory ammunition... I need to buy one sooner rather than later.
That's really incredible.

My Savage 10 is solidly under a half-minute, but that took extensive handloading development to get there
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one in 6.5 and love love love it

There was a thread here how to make it smoother and it made it more better, now I'm looking at extra barrels

Ruger knocked it out of the park with this gun
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I love it

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#10]
It's an awesome rifle.

The only things I changed on mine were:

Egro Grip (better palm swell)
Longer bolt knob (I really liked the factory one, but I have a lever on my scope for the magnification and my knuckles were hitting it, so I wanted a longer bolt knob)
LRI bolt shroud (really just bought it to support LRI's efforts, they were supporting the RPR very quickly)

That's it. I added a scope and away I went. I've had it since October and shot it out to 1125.

I love 6.5 creedmoor too. Fantastic round with many different match ammo shipping for not very much money more than match 308.

Love it. If something happened to it, I'd buy another. Also, there are so many great drop in barrels now (Patriot Valley, LRI, Criterion, Proof, etc) that I can't wait to shoot out this barrel and get even more accuracy. I'd estimate I'm averaging .75-.9 MOA groups. I've had 5 shot groups down to .3". I'm just not that consistent yet. This is really my first "target" rfile. I mostly have shot pistols.

I cerakoted it (at home) in Desert Tan and FDE:

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love it

http://tinyurl.com/ha2oqme
View Quote

Ahh, there, I like that shoulder stock way better than the nechanical ugliless that comes with the RPR.

What model, manuf is that?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It's an awesome rifle.

The only things I changed on mine were:

Egro Grip (better palm swell)

Longer bolt knob (I really liked the factory one, but I have a lever on my scope for the magnification and my knuckles were hitting it, so I wanted a longer bolt knob)

LRI bolt shroud (really just bought it to support LRI's efforts, they were supporting the RPR very quickly)

That's it. I added a scope and away I went. I've had it since October and shot it out to 1125.

I love 6.5 creedmoor too. Fantastic round with many different match ammo shipping for not very much money more than match 308.

Love it. If something happened to it, I'd buy another.

https://c3.staticflickr.com/2/1692/24539882066_a011a5f8ea_b.jpg

I cerakoted it (at home) in Desert Tan and FDE:

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8573/28495465855_d3b655c3a6_b.jpg

View Quote

What kind of scope is that?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 G2 reticle Model number ET6245FG

It's been a good scope. I picked it up just over $800. It was between this and the Vortex PST 6-24x. I kinda wish I picked up the Vortex for the zero stop. I really do like the G2 reticle though.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ahh, there, I like that shoulder stock way better than the nechanical ugliless that comes with the RPR.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love it

http://tinyurl.com/ha2oqme

Magpul UBR
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I want one. I have molested a few at gun shops. It is a big, HEAVY (as it should be) gun. The only reason I don't have one yet is because of the cost of any glass I'd want to put on it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Want
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It's been a good scope. I picked it up just over $800. It was between this and the Vortex PST 6-24x. I kinda wish I picked up the Vortex for the zero stop. I really do like the G2 reticle though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you like the G2 reticle in the Bushy 6-24, you'll LOVE the EBR-2C MRAD reticle in the Vortex gen 2 Razor 4.5-27.    

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Shooting partner has one in .243 Win.

Very good shooting rifle. 105 VLDs @ 3100fps fed from PMAGs

1500yds worth of reach from a factory rifle is pretty nice.

The new generations have a better forend than the Samson.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Available in 6.5 Creedmoor, the most awesome caliber in short action.
Takes 308 pmags.
20moa rail.
Threaded free floated barrel.
Good to go with AR-15 stocks.
Adjustable trigger.
Aftermarket triggers being dropped now.
Feeds very well.
Replaceable bolt handle.
Takes AR-15 grips.
Barrels can be relaxed easily to many other calibers.
Comes in scary evil black color.
50 state legal.
Cheap to get into (vs custom Rem 700).

Most accurate gun I own. I've shot groups down to 5/8". All factory ammo so far has shot MOA. With more practice, I'll shoot the MOA challenge. But so far, it's been too much fun shooting 300-600 yards. So having to go back to 100 seems crappy.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love mine too. Which model switchview fits it? Is it the same one that fits the DMR/XRS?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Good value you, but not a custom. My original barrel shot well, but left much to be desired in chamber dimensions etc. I don't shoot mine as much as my customs but I do pull it out and shoot it. Changing things is easy to do at home.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm seriously considering this rifle as well. The feed BA k has been very good.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#23]
A d despite a ton of .30 components I have laying around I want the 6.5 .
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor. Love it. It's my first bolt action and it has made jumping into the world of precision rifle a pleasure. I shot a class with twelve other guys with some fancy boom sticks and didn't give up anything.

It's very adjustable, easy to accessorize to your needs, soft shooting, and accurate out of the box. The huge number of these being sold promises a lot of after market support, too. Like the poster above, I'm getting around .7 moa (although the new Hornady ELD offering isn't grouping so well for me) with factory ammo. At some point, I may get an after market barrel and try to tighten those groups up a bit.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#25]
... bought the gen II (model 18004) last weekend. Waiting on delievery of my Nightforce NXS to run it
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I have one in 308, shoots better than I can.  I am not a long range competition shooter, but like to shoot at distance just for fun.  It's a great value, especially for folks who don't want, or need, a custom comp gun that is $5k without glass & a mount.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder how often during hard use stuff falls off that stock?  I only see pictures of it doing mowed KD range sniping.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Good value you, but not a custom.
View Quote

I certainly agree, but at 1/4 the cost (vs custom) it makes the precision discipline available to a much larger market.
I think Ruger knocked it out of the park with this one

If the range reports are accurate (half-minute capable), not many customs (or shooters) will do four times better than that
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I certainly don't need one, but I think I want one in 6.5.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I have yet to see one

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#32]
How much are they going for?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I wonder how often during hard use stuff falls off that stock? I only see pictures of it doing mowed KD range sniping.
View Quote

Pretty sure that is what it is designed for.  I dont think Ruger ever claimed this was a rifle to be used by SEAL Team 6 snipers.  Its a precision rifle for shooting long range targets at the range
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Pretty sure that is what it is designed for.  I dont think Ruger ever claimed this was a rifle to be used by SEAL Team 6 snipers.  Its a precision rifle for shooting long range targets at the range
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder how often during hard use stuff falls off that stock? I only see pictures of it doing mowed KD range sniping.

I'm taking mine on a Wyoming antelope hunt. WY too heavy to use as a mountain gun. I figured the weight might be tolerable on a quick goat hunt. I'm also trying to get set to go blast some coyotes with it as well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I picked mine up last week. 6.5 CM. My scope just showed up yesterday. We'll probably mount it later today.

I have several boxes of match ammo to try, and then I'll have some once fired brass to reload.

Looking forward to shooting it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm taking mine on a Wyoming antelope hunt. WY too heavy to use as a mountain gun. I figured the weight might be tolerable on a quick goat hunt. I'm also trying to get set to go blast some coyotes with it as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to see one set up in a lighter weight hunting configuration.  Even better would be if Ruger offered a model like that.  Something like an Ace stock, lightweight handguard, 20-24 inch sporter profile barrel.  That would peak my interest
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I've shot my Dad's more than he has.  It's a 308, and with my 175 SMK loads (43 grains of Varget), I was getting .9 MOA out of it, and I'm not that good of a shot.  I shot it alongside my .308 MRAD, which routinely shoots .5 MOA with my special recipe 175 gr (43.3 gr in Lapua cases).

It's lighter than MRAD, and it does feel a tiny bit "flimsier," but not $4k flimsier.  

I'd HIGHLY recommend it, but would get that nice MI MLOK forearm they're coming out for it.  I think the aftermarket support already is awesome, and will only get better.

The look and value of the rifle has really caused an explosion in interest in precision, which in my opinion, is awesome.  I bet we see a lot of longer ranges open up due to it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Love mine too. Which model switchview fits it? Is it the same one that fits the DMR/XRS?
View Quote

Switchview model 1655SV

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CN5CVVG/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I would like to see one set up in a lighter weight hunting configuration.  Even better would be if Ruger offered a model like that.  Something like an Ace stock, lightweight handguard, 20-24 inch sporter profile barrel.  That would peak my interest
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The RPR  is not, nor was it ever intended to be a hunting rifle.  Precision rifles are special purpose built, and weight is an advantage.  If you want a hunting rifle, get a hunting rifle.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Another satisfied 6.5 Creedmoor owner here. I have only fired about 100 rounds of factory ammo so far, but have consistently seen better group results with Winchester match 140 gr. factory ammo than the Hornady 140 gr match Ammo. I'm not the first person to obtain this result, from what I have read online. The Hornady ELD-X hunting 143 gr. Ammo was even worse, probably 1.5-2.5 MOA at 200 yards. I bought the relatively affordable, but heavy, Millet 6-25x mildot scope for mine, I think it was on sale around $425. I liked my previous Millet 4-16 scope I bought years ago. Haven't reloaded for it yet, just found some H4350 online at Natches or Midsouth, still need a Redding "s" bushing neck sizing die.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:27:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The RPR  is not, nor was it ever intended to be a hunting rifle.  Precision rifles are special purpose built, and weight is an advantage.  If you want a hunting rifle, get a hunting rifle.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, I know that what it was originally built for.  However the cool thing about the RPR is that it is modular just like an AR15/10.  I could go buy an RPR and slap on lighter weight stock/hanguard/barrel and have a decently weighted rifle for hunting.  But I dont want to spend that kinda cash for what in the end is a modified Ruger American rifle.  If Ruger offered a lightweight model that could be used for hunting however..... I think that would be kinda neat.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I certainly agree, but at 1/4 the cost (vs custom) it makes the precision discipline available to a much larger market.

If the range reports are accurate (half-minute capable), not many customs (or shooters) will do four times better than that

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good value you, but not a custom.

I'd say most of those range reports a little bit of BS.  They will tend to shoot MOA or a bit less.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've thought of that as well. Try to drop the weight down a hair. Turn the barrel down and shorten it a few inches. Shorten and lighten the handguard. Lighter stock. Mil out some of the extra chassis meat.

A field weight RPR would sell too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
  I'd say most of those range reports a little bit of BS.  They will tend to shoot MOA or a bit less.
View Quote

I can see that.
I have had a bunch of .3" groups, but consistently, I'm just "sub-moa". .75-.9 would probably end up my average. However, for the "internet" I could post up a "my gun is .3"". when in reality, I throw some groups over 1 inch.

For example... (yesterday from my RPR, Winchester 140gr)

On the Internet:

In reality... Damnit...

:) The rest of the Winchester groups were all in the .7-.8 range with one at 1" or so IIRC.

Hence, the ARFCOM 1 MOA All Day Challenge.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#45]
From the replies, it sounds like a solid rifle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My partner shot his at the WTRC this year.

4 field courses that had 2 miles of movement over roughish terrain and 6 shooting stations that were far from a mowed KD range.

He got sick of the weight as the temps hit 3 digits but the rifle held up fine.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#48]
It's super heavy and I don't like the Samson rail.

That's all I can say that's bad about mine.

I couldn't imagine doing anything but target shooting with it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice guns and a great value. I like my XLR chassis guns more but if the RPR had been available back when I bought them I probably would have used the RPR.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Mine is .75 moa to 1 moa. And that's me shooting it. It will probably shoot better than I do.

The reports back of people dropping an LRi barrel on them are pretty crazy. .25moa or so.

I love mine. I have a grand total of $1450 in my 6.5cm RPR and vortex HST 6-24x50.  For the money you can't beat it off the shelf.

For around 2k you could have an RPR and a custom barrel for it and have an under 1/2 MOA gun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top