Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/8/2018 8:45:39 PM EDT
I recently bought a Chiappa Rhino 50DS in 357 magnum. It came with the medium walnut grip, but I felt a large one would better fit my hand, so I decided to buy the one that comes on the new Charging Rhino. I've been looking at these revolvers since their introduction, but never pulled the trigger on one. I haven't had any interest in any new firearms for quite awhile, so I decided to buy something unique.

I have not fired this particular Rhino yet, but I have fired one before and really liked the way it shot. I know there are old complaints about the trigger being heavy, but that's not the case with this one. It has fiber optic sights front and back that pick up light very well. Everything seems solidly built and I'm looking forward to taking this to the range which I should be doing soon.

Anyone else have a Rhino and how do you like it? Also, if there are any complaints or praises about these guns, please acknowledge if it's from personal experience or second hand and when in time that experience happened.

To bad my other sci-fi gun is only a replica. It's a Tomenosuke replica of Deckard's blaster from Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049. I know some gunsmith put together a live fire version and posted a YouTube vid of him shooting it, but I'd pay a decent amount to have a working version of this.

Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool.  Range report please...
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I also have a Rhino 50DS.  I like it.

I also had to change the grip to a larger one, because the bottom of the regular grip was digging into my palm.

Matter of fact, I shot mine earlier today.

I like your grips better with the finger grooves.  The one I ordered a long time ago is super smooth, just a larger version of the stock grip.

We can be Rhino buddies! Lol

PS Love the Blade Runner blaster
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I just knew it'd be a Rhino.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I like...
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I also have a Rhino 50DS.  I like it.

I also had to change the grip to a larger one, because the bottom of the regular grip was digging into my palm.

Matter of fact, I shot mine earlier today.

I like your grips better with the finger grooves.  The one I ordered a long time ago is super smooth, just a larger version of the stock grip.

We can be Rhino buddies! Lol
View Quote
That's the reason I got the larger grip. The front strap on the medium is fine, but the rear strap is a tad short. I'd like to see some company come out with custom grips. If I could get the Blade Runner grips with end cap for my Rhino, I would.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
We put one on our rental range and it exploded a few weeks later.  Nothing but .38spec had been used in it.  Chiappa replaced it after we sent it back to them.

Nice looking/handling revolver, but priced double what it's worth in my book.  It should cost $450-550 at the most.

Good luck with your purchase.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I would like one but I feel like they are just plain overpriced for what you get, and the seam where the barrel shroud joins up really hurts the otherwise cool looks. They just don't feel like $800-1000 guns.

That said LPA sights are fantastic and apparently the trigger on the more recent guns is very good.

Inb4 somebody says the gun is super complicated when except for the fake hammer / cocking piece it's very similar to a conventional double action
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#8]
If you like it who cares what other people think!

Slick gun!
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Whatever, they look pretty cool
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If I could get the Blade Runner grips with end cap for my Rhino, I would.
View Quote
I've got some 2x4 and a Dremel in the garage, and I'm not afraid to use it!  I actually made some grips for a S&W 22 revolver a while back. Quite a PITA, but kind of fun.
I think the Rhino grips are one piece, may be a bit harder... Hmm, maybe one piece might be easier than getting two pieces to match up.  Hmmmm....
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We put one on our rental range and it exploded a few weeks later.  Nothing but .38spec had been used in it.  Chiappa replaced it after we sent it back to them.

Nice looking/handling revolver, but priced double what it's worth in my book.  It should cost $450-550 at the most.

View Quote
How far back was this? Rental guns get abused and who knows what dumb cylinder flipping and other nonsense was done to it by amateurs. Do you know if it was all factory ammo? Unless someone watched what people put in it, Id be suspect. My local range has over 100 guns to rent and the one's I've tried out feel like they were shot out, thrown around, dragged behind a bus and never cleaned.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I considered buying one. I asked Grant Cunningham about them. I consider him an unimpeachable resource on revolvers even if his tolerance of liberal vermin rankles me.

He said they are Rube Goldberg machines internally and should not be depended on for anything other than fun.

I ended up buying a Glock.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've got some 2x4 and a Dremel in the garage, and I'm not afraid to use it!  I actually made some grips for a S&W 22 revolver a while back. Quite a PITA, but kind of fun.
I think the Rhino grips are one piece, may be a bit harder... Hmm, maybe one piece might be easier than getting two pieces to match up.  Hmmmm....
View Quote
Yea, but the blade Runner grips aren't made of wood. They're the grips on the replica blaster in the second picture. However, if you try to make something similar I'd love to see the final product.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would like one but I feel like they are just plain overpriced for what you get, and the seam where the barrel shroud joins up really hurts the otherwise cool looks. They just don't feel like $800-1000 guns.

That said LPA sights are fantastic and apparently the trigger on the more recent guns is very good.

Inb4 somebody says the gun is super complicated when except for the fake hammer / cocking piece it's very similar to a conventional double action
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Big meh here.  I tried several some years back, each one's trigger & action felt different from the next, no consistency at all.  Oh, and the grip sucked bigtime.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I always thought they looked neat
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I clicked thinking this would be a Judge.

I grossly underestimated how low the internet could go
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I kind of like it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Neato!
The only revolver, with any appeal to me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I clicked thinking this would be a Judge.

I grossly underestimated how low the internet could go
View Quote
Any .410 revolver is trash and you can't get any lower
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd like to have one since it seems like one of those quirky type things that people in the future will want to have as a collectable novelty - kinda like the gyro jet pistol.

Nice pistol op
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#22]
See if it shoots nice little groups, get back to us, good or bad.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd be interested if it was chambered in a useful field cartridge.

I don't see the appeal of a small bore revolver other than a kit gun.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I have wanted one for a while.  Nice looking.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
See if it shoots nice little groups, get back to us, good or bad.
View Quote
I plan on it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
You think .357 magnum is only useful in a kit gun? Okay then...
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#27]
The only person I know to have dealt with them personally was a competitor on Top Shot and if I remember correctly three of the four guns sent to them failed and were unable to be used for the challenge.

I’ve shot a lot of stuff but never a Rhino. Would like to try one someday. Hope yours works out OP.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#28]
They are cool looking guns.

I hope you enjoy it OP.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I sort of like the concept of lowering the barrel to help control muzzle rise.......

I also sort of like the aesthetics of the shorter barrel ones, but the longer barreled ones are....odd for me.  Not ugly so much as they just violate some visual tenants.

I'll wait till they are on the market for a while before I jump though.  I do tend to agree that Chippa (or however they are spelled) should have came out with a more attractive $ until they got enough of them in the wild that (if they were actually really great), they could justify the increase in price.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I liked the idea of it, but it was never enough for me to buy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Cool.  Range report please...
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm jelly, did your local fun store stock this or did it come by other means? Not to be too crass but were there any discounts or did you pay full price? It's probably not very practical but I agree with the other's that this will be an iconic piece in the future and will only go up in value even if most are lumps of shit.  It will be the perfect storm of looks, availability and limited production for future buyers.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Think I'll just stick with my old smiths.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How far back was this? Rental guns get abused and who knows what dumb cylinder flipping and other nonsense was done to it by amateurs. Do you know if it was all factory ammo? Unless someone watched what people put in it, Id be suspect. My local range has over 100 guns to rent and the one's I've tried out feel like they were shot out, thrown around, dragged behind a bus and never cleaned.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About six years ago.  It was all factory ammo.  The gun had not been abused, and since I was in charge of the range guns, everything we had was well cared for.  Chiappa admitted the incident was on them after inspecting it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Do you like it? That's all that matters.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I briefly considering buying one, but then I realized I only wanted it because it reminded me of a Mateba which I'll probably never have so I didn't buy it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I like them but I wouldn't be interested learning to shot revolvers different with that forcing cone down at the bottom of the frame.

cool guns though
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I've wanted one of those since they came out nice!

REALLY want a Mateba Unica 6"

Ah well hehe.

I'll get a Rhino at some point....cause reasons
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#39]
So cool looking that I've considered them a conversation piece rather than practical.

I'd love to hear a rational neutral report.

Hell, it's not difficult to convince me to go out and buy a pistol.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I briefly considering buying one, but then I realized I only wanted it because it reminded me of a Mateba which I'll probably never have so I didn't buy it.
View Quote
I wanted one after playing Alien Isolation, since the revolver was based on it and the Mateba. I think I'd be happier with a S&W 686 or Ruger GP-100, though.

Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:33:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Reminds me of a saying about fat girls and mopeds and friends
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  I think that the only small bore revolver that is useful for practical purposes is a .22.

If I'm using small bore pistols for self defense, it's a semi auto (carrying a 9mm now).  Revolvers, IMO, are field guns.  I want a decent caliber for field guns.  I'm not saying that a 9mm/.357 won't kill game.  I just see no ethical reason to use one unless you're hunting small game, which could just as effectively be done with .44 spl or .45 cowboy action loads.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 3:10:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Want to post pictures of revolvers, semi-autos and rifles that have exploded from some unknown reason as well? I can if you're not up to the simple Google search.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 3:11:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm jelly, did your local fun store stock this or did it come by other means? Not to be too crass but were there any discounts or did you pay full price? It's probably not very practical but I agree with the other's that this will be an iconic piece in the future and will only go up in value even if most are lumps of shit.  It will be the perfect storm of looks, availability and limited production for future buyers.
View Quote
I bought it online for a little over $800.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 3:13:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

About six years ago.  It was all factory ammo.  The gun had not been abused, and since I was in charge of the range guns, everything we had was well cared for.  Chiappa admitted the incident was on them after inspecting it.
View Quote
I've read they changed a few things in these revolvers in the past years. Did they say why it failed?
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 3:23:18 AM EDT
[#47]
I've always kinda wanted one...

Shhhhh, don't tell.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 3:27:48 AM EDT
[#48]
I've wanted one for awhile.

Keep convincing myself not to
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 3:45:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Mateba or GTFO.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 4:09:32 AM EDT
[#50]
I like it.  I’ve been tempted to try a rhino for a long time but haven’t pulled the trigger yet
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top