Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/11/2018 7:58:34 PM EDT
http://medium.com/lapsed-historian/the-long-way-round-the-plane-that-accidentally-circumnavigated-the-world-c04ca734c6bb

After the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour, the crew of Pan Am flight 18602 were forced to do something almost impossible: return to America the long way round.
View Quote
I saw this and thought GD might appreciate it.

TL;DR: A Boeing 314 going from Pearl Harbor to New Zealand when Japan attacked was forced to fly what was suddenly a strategic asset back to the US... the long way around. With no maps, radio codes, or contacts, the crew had to fly 20,869 miles, much of it through hostile territory, to get back home. In doing so they became the first commercial plane to circumnavigate the globe.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool story, thanks.

You might be interested in the war time Perth to Sri Lanka/Karachi flights in Qantas operated Catalinas.  Flew a 4,000 mile, 33 hour long leg at a blistering 120 mph that crossed Japanese held territory, so radio navigation would have been suicide.  Planes were so overloaded with fuel that all they could carry each trip was a mail bag and 3 passengers.  They flew it weekly or better for a couple years.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I love stories like this.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome. Thanks!

"It wasn’t just that the Boeing wasn’t designed to fly on regular petrol , it was that no-one had ever even tried. There was simply no telling what would happen if they attempted it. If they put 90 into California she might fly okay, or all her engines might overheat and blow up. Nobody knew.

At the very least, Swede was certain that it would cause power problems?—?probably pre-detonation and backfires. Not only could these damage the engines but they might prove fatal during takeoff or landing. That was if there would be enough power to take off at all. What choice did they have though?
"Ford and Mack hauled back on the yoke desperately seeking the cloud cover above. They blazed directly over the submarine mid-climb, the deck gun below swinging round as it began to track them through the sky. After what seemed to the crew like an eternity, they finally broke through into the clouds. It was just in time. A bright flash from below illuminating the clouds around them. The men braced for impact. Luckily, it never came."
"Number one has lost the aft section of its exhaust stack” He explained. “The exhaust plume is streaming out right over the wing surface.

Ford cursed. “Swede, can we fly this way?”

Swede Rothe shrugged. “I guess. Engine gauges are good. We’re not losing any power.”

“It jacks up the fire odds”
Swede Roche lunged for the engine controls, bringing the aircraft back down to normal cruise climb. He looked at his watch?—?rated for no more than 90 seconds at full power, she’d been at it for more than three minutes. Swede couldn’t resist it, he leant down and stroked the deck.

“Good job baby.” He whispered. “Good job.”

In the cockpit, for the final time, Bob Ford and Johnny Mack turned the California Clipper to the west. If they survived this leg, then they knew they were as good as home. If.

“Let’s not do that again.” Said Mack, beads of sweat running down his face.

“Agreed.”
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome. Thanks!

"It wasn't just that the Boeing wasn't designed to fly on regular petrol , it was that no-one had ever even tried. There was simply no telling what would happen if they attempted it. If they put 90 into California she might fly okay, or all her engines might overheat and blow up. Nobody knew.

At the very least, Swede was certain that it would cause power problems??probably pre-detonation and backfires. Not only could these damage the engines but they might prove fatal during takeoff or landing. That was if there would be enough power to take off at all. What choice did they have though?
"Ford and Mack hauled back on the yoke desperately seeking the cloud cover above. They blazed directly over the submarine mid-climb, the deck gun below swinging round as it began to track them through the sky. After what seemed to the crew like an eternity, they finally broke through into the clouds. It was just in time. A bright flash from below illuminating the clouds around them. The men braced for impact. Luckily, it never came."
"Number one has lost the aft section of its exhaust stack" He explained. "The exhaust plume is streaming out right over the wing surface.

Ford cursed. "Swede, can we fly this way?"

Swede Rothe shrugged. "I guess. Engine gauges are good. We're not losing any power."

"It jacks up the fire odds"
Swede Roche lunged for the engine controls, bringing the aircraft back down to normal cruise climb. He looked at his watch??rated for no more than 90 seconds at full power, she'd been at it for more than three minutes. Swede couldn't resist it, he leant down and stroked the deck.

"Good job baby." He whispered. "Good job."

In the cockpit, for the final time, Bob Ford and Johnny Mack turned the California Clipper to the west. If they survived this leg, then they knew they were as good as home. If.

"Let's not do that again." Said Mack, beads of sweat running down his face.

"Agreed."
View Quote
I am shocked that the plane not only survived that kind of abuse, but went on to see service through the war and for a while afterwards.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#5]
thats an awesome story
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m sharing this article with my uncle who was a airplane mechanic for Pan Am’s China Clippers at Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay before the war.  I want to know if he recognizes any names.  Thank you OP.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I am not home but I told my Dad about this story and he found the book for me.  Very interesting read.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#8]
WOW.... That action and article series is definitely Movie Script Material if they could come up with a reasonable stand in for a Boeing 314, and not ef it up with too much hokey CGI.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:45:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cool story, thanks.

You might be interested in the war time Perth to Sri Lanka/Karachi flights in Qantas operated Catalinas.  Flew a 4,000 mile, 33 hour long leg at a blistering 120 mph that crossed Japanese held territory, so radio navigation would have been suicide.  Planes were so overloaded with fuel that all they could carry each trip was a mail bag and 3 passengers.  They flew it weekly or better for a couple years.
View Quote
Nope, nope, nopeee.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Incredible story!
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Great read, thanks for posting.

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome thanks
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you, OP.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Great story.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome story, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
WOW.... That action and article series is definitely Movie Script Material if they could come up with a reasonable stand in for a Boeing 314, and not ef it up with too much hokey CGI.
View Quote
Those things were big.

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:28:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Well worth the read!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#18]
pretty cool
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm sharing this article with my uncle who was a airplane mechanic for Pan Am's China Clippers at Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay before the war.  I want to know if he recognizes any names.  Thank you OP.
View Quote
That has the potential to be pretty cool, let us know what he says. I bet he at least knows the story, even if he doesn't know the names. I can't imagine Pan Am didn't announce the feat within the company.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Great story
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Those things were big.

View Quote
My uncle told me that as a mechanic he had to climb inside the wing and adjust the engine while the plane was flying.

Post war my uncle joined the Pan Am flying club and got his private pilots license.   He eventually became a fighter jock in the Army Air Corps and later USAF.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#22]
There's a mechanic in the outboard nacelle cutaway, looks like they could do in flight engine service.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome story. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There's a mechanic in the outboard nacelle cutaway, looks like they could do in flight engine service.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My uncle told me that as a mechanic he had to climb inside the wing and adjust the engine while the plane was flying.

Post war my uncle joined the Pan Am flying club and got his private pilots license.   He eventually became a fighter jock in the Army Air Corps and later USAF.
That seems like it'd be a REALLY loud job
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those things were big.

https://airandspace.si.edu/sites/default/files/styles/slideshow_lg/public/images/7146h.jpg?itok=kV-V2mvz
That thing is huge. It would suck to be the 4 guys in charge of spinning the props though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nope, nope, nopeee.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool story, thanks.

Nope, nope, nopeee.

Kharn
They had two engines though, what could go wrong?

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#27]
That would have been a ride

Glad I'm here to read the story
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#28]
That is an amazing story, thank you for posting it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#29]
"If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!"

There's a reason for that old airline traveler rule of thumb.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#30]
That's awesome.

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#31]
awesome story thanks just finished reading @ the link
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Excellent read!
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Very nice post OP, it's pretty well written and a nice read on an otherwise annoying day.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#34]
That was a great story to read.

Once I got started I really couldn't quit.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:02:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Thanks very much for posting!!
Yes, that could make a good movie.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:12:51 AM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool story, thanks.

Nope, nope, nopeee.

Kharn
They had two engines though, what could go wrong?

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/consolidated-pby-catalina-larry-mcmanus.jpg
That beautiful bird was a flying gas can with a crew pontoon strapped on.

Normal Octane: – Avgas 100/130

Minimum Octane: – Avgas 91

Capacity:

Imperial: – 1,457.6 gal (6623.6 L)

US: – 1,750.0 gal (6624.4 L)

Per Side:

Imperial: – 728.8 gal (3313.1L)

US: – 875.0 gal (3312.2 L)

Self Sealing Fuel Tanks: – When self sealing cells are installed in a:

Single Tank – Total fuel capacity in both tanks drops to 1,242.5 i
imp gal or 513.7 imp gal in the self sealing celled tank
and 728.8 imp gal in the other not self sealing tank.
OR
When self sealing cells are installed in:
Both Tanks: – Total fuel capacity in both tanks drops to 1,032.5 imp gal
or 516.25 imp gal per side

Consumption Per Engine: – 28 – 35 gal/hr (105 – 135 l/hr)

Wheel Well Tanks (Optional): – 170 imp gal per side

Fuel Weight:  1457 imp gal at 7.29 lbs would be approx 10,622 lbs
Courtesy: http://pbycatalina.com/specifications/
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:22:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Good read, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:30:09 AM EDT
[#38]
That's an amazing story.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 2:11:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Awesome read. Thanks for sharing OP.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 2:26:34 AM EDT
[#40]
That was badass. I feel like I just watched the first 3 Indiana Jones movies at once in the time it took to read that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 2:27:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 2:32:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
https://www.flyingboatmuseum.com/boeing-314-clipper-flying-boat-replica/

Attachment Attached File

(G-ADHK Short S.21 Maia, also operated out of Foynes, Ireland by Imperial Airways)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 2:35:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Awesome story!  Thanks for sharing!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:17:01 AM EDT
[#44]
That was great.

A plane so overloaded with fuel that the fucking wings bent enough to jam the mechanisms controlling the flaps, and then subsequently having to surf the damn plane through a canyon with rapids below, all in an effort to finally take off.

Jesus.

I’d be interested to read about what these planes did during WW2.

So many stories are just lost, forgotten, or hidden from our own histories.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:47:16 AM EDT
[#45]
That would make an awesome movie. Why can't Hollywood do that one instead of fucking around with classics like Ghostbusters?
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:40:14 AM EDT
[#46]
THAT was an amazing story!
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:42:02 AM EDT
[#47]
It has always saddened me that none of those planes survived.  Now I read this story and am kind of pissed at peoples’ short sightedness.  The California/Pacific Clipper was such  a significant bird and now it’s beer cans or iPhone chassis or something.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:59:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I love stories like this.
View Quote
Yep.  Enjoyed it very much.  
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#49]
A great read.  Thanks for the post OP.

One of my Dad's brothers flew USAAF transport planes out of Australia and New Zealand during the war and after the war became a test pilot for Hughes Aircraft.

He and Dad would have loved this story.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It has always saddened me that none of those planes survived.  Now I read this story and am kind of pissed at peoples’ short sightedness.  The California/Pacific Clipper was such  a significant bird and now it’s beer cans or iPhone chassis or something.
View Quote
Not sure what model but there is still a couple of the flying boats of this era doing forest fire fighting work out on the west coast .

I knew my uncle was a radio operator in the navy but after he passed I was surprised to learn it was on flying boat. His training and service was based in Florida and was patrol (anti submarine). I have his flight logs and once those monsters got up they stayed up for a long time! .
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top