Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/9/2018 8:45:41 PM EDT

I never thought about it at the time, but were these things just bullshit products sold to a credulous public that couldn't yet look things up on the internet, and realize they were pointless?
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

Saved wear and tear on your VCR, and was highly convenient if you rented a lot of tapes.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.

Saved wear and tear on your VCR, and was highly convenient if you rented a lot of tapes.
View Quote
This.
And they were faster
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#3]
You had to return the tapes rewound and it was a known fact that rewinding in the VCR was bad ju ju.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Our rewinder was faster than the VCR. Also it saved wear and tear on the CAR. Lastly there was a surcharge if you didn't rewind the tape rental.

"Be kind, please rewind."
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:48:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes.

View Quote
So that wasn't just marketing BS?
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This.
And they were faster
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

This.
And they were faster
Yeah, I do remember them being faster.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes.

View Quote
Yep. As a kid we'd rent 2-3 videos from Blockbuster, and rewinder was convenient.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Not BS.

Risk jaming the tape in your VCR or putting undue wear and tear on your VCR? Nope.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Somewhere, somehow, someone was able to sell a DVD rewinder.

VHS tapes are a technology I'm damn pleased to see the end of.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:51:54 PM EDT
[#10]
In the early days VCRs were a mint to get repaired. My parents had a video store and we had a guy downtown that we took customers machines to. The dedicated rewinder was worth it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow- almost forgot about those-- now I am feeling old.
Remember when a sales manager for a company I represented bought one of the first VCR's--thought he was rich.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#12]
This is the oldest school go be poor somewhere else thread I’ve ever seen.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I had one that rewound too quickly, tearing a hole in the space/time continuum.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember a few VCRs that had a very slow rewind.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#16]
If only there was a way to figure out what the point of a VHS tape reminder was...
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Video stores usually had them behind the counter, to deal with the unkind.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This.
And they were faster
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

This.
And they were faster
Yep. A lot faster.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes they were useful, especially in the days of time lapse VCRS for security cameras  before we had DVRs.  Some stores had lots of VCRS in use so it was easier to pop a new tape in to start recording and rewind the old tape separately.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Now this on the other hand ...

Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#23]
What about the "head cleaner" tapes?

What about "dual heads"?

WTF was a VCR head anyway?

God I hated VCRs.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#24]
OP must be thinking of the DVD rewinder.

Link Posted: 6/9/2018 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This.
And they were faster
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

This.
And they were faster
Yup.  Remember having one and using it after we made a trip to Blockbuster or whatever the name was for the other local brand.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I worked at a video store and loved handing out fines to you lazy motherfuckers that weren't kind!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh sure, they were way faster, and it when you would binge movies or tv shows back in the day, you could rewind one while you started the next.

It sounds almost like a turn-of-the-19th-century old timer talking about his gramophone...
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#29]
So you could put in a new movie while you rewind the one you just watched.

Fucking binge that shit.

Watch Willow. Eject Willow. Put Willow in rewinder. Insert Army of Darkness. Watch Army of Darkness. Eject Army of Darkness. Put Army of Darkness in rewinder. Insert Predator. Watch Predator. Eject Predator. Put Predator in rewinder. Insert Princess Bride. Watch Princess Bride. Eject Princess Bride. Put Princess Bride in rewinder. Insert Spaceballs. Watch Spaceballs.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#30]
VCR rewind = less fapping time.

Duh
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/VHS_tape_rewinder.jpg/1200px-VHS_tape_rewinder.jpg

I never thought about it at the time, but were these things just bullshit products sold to a credulous public that couldn't yet look things up on the internet, and realize they were pointless?
View Quote
"Hey look, those dummies in old movies using pay phones. Why didn't they just order an Iphone X off Amazon? Boy old people were stupid."  <--- OP probably

LOL!!  How old are you again?

Wait!! Am I in a fucking troll thread? Damn-it! I am aren't I???

In the case this isn't a troll thread and OP is a "special needs adult". Less wear and tear on you VHS (drive motor, belts, heads), faster and the video store charged you a FEE if you brought back tapes unrewound.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This.
And they were faster
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

This.
And they were faster
they saved the motor on your VHS machine
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#33]
The strongest benefit to DVD is the fact that when you watch the topless/boobie scenes in Caddyshack, youre dad won't know you've been wearing that spot thin in the movie because you forgot to rewind it
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Hank Williams Jr - Video Blues
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yes.

View Quote
Yep and VHS players were very expensive back in the day.

We had two rewinders
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#36]
We had a few of them
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#37]
I think the wear and tear scenario was bullshit, but the rewindsr was about 5 times faster.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#38]
At the start of the home movie craze in the early 80’s, vcr’s were pretty expensive.  These saved the vcr’s.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Oh sure, they were way faster, and it when you would binge movies or tv shows back in the day, you could rewind one while you started the next.

It sounds almost like a turn-of-the-19th-century old timer talking about his gramophone...
View Quote
I rost.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think the wear and tear scenario was bullshit, but the rewindsr was about 5 times faster.
View Quote
Did your VCR never go in for repair? Keep in mind, the stupid things used BELTS for Lord's sake. Well, a few did.

But seriously, they were more mechanical than electronic. At the time, the common wisdom was, the less mileage on the clock, the better.

Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#41]
My grandparents had one and it was considerably faster than a VCR

VCRs took a little while to rewind a movie length VHS tape
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Video on the internet was a rare thing in those days. VCR rewinder was mandatory!
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What about the "head cleaner" tapes?

What about "dual heads"?

WTF was a VCR head anyway?

God I hated VCRs.
View Quote
Head cleaners were good about getting dust and dirt off of the reader heads for your VCR.  Most people didn't run their VCR's enough to require head cleanings.

VCR heads were the reading/writing/erase sensors for the magnetic tape media.  Dual head allowed for a syncing of the video and audio playback.  4 Head allowed for higher quality video and audio to be recorded at the expense of less recording time for the same amount of media.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Video on the internet was a rare thing in those days. VCR rewinder was mandatory!
View Quote
I remember trying to download videos even when DVDs were around as being a pain. You’d start the download and pray that the file name was legit. Even at only 1mbps it felt like it was lightning fast compared to dial up.  I was amazed when I moved to a big city (for WV) years later and had access to 20mbps.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Man, rewinding a tape in the VCR took FOREVER!
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I still have an operational VCR and a lot of movies. We use it occasionally to watch the original Star Wars trilogy.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
"Hey look, those dummies in old movies using pay phones. Why didn't they just order an Iphone X off Amazon? Boy old people were stupid."  <--- OP probably

In the case this isn't a troll thread and OP is a "special needs adult". Less wear and tear on you VHS (drive motor, belts, heads), faster and the video store charged you a FEE if you brought back tapes unrewound.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/VHS_tape_rewinder.jpg/1200px-VHS_tape_rewinder.jpg

I think the thing that annoys me the most about people under a certain age is the assumption that the public used to be credulous and informationally handicapped because they didn't have an internet to look things up on.

The bigger problem today is people that can't figure out anything without the internet.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
VHS tapes are a technology I'm damn pleased to see the end of.
View Quote
Damn straight Skippy.

They were cool in the '80s because they were the only way to watch movies at home...but by the '90s they were getting very tiresome.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top