Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 6/12/2018 2:08:34 PM EDT
FORT WORTH, Texas, June 11, 2018 – The F-35 Joint Program Office and Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] delivered the 300th production F-35 aircraft, demonstrating the program’s continued progress and momentum. The 300th aircraft is a U.S. Air Force F-35A, to be delivered to Hill Air Force Base, Utah.

"The F-35 weapons system is a key enabler of our National Defense Strategy and is providing our warfighters the combat proven, advanced capabilities they need to meet mission requirements," said Vice Admiral Mat Winter, program executive officer for the F-35 Joint Program Office. "The 300th production aircraft delivery is a significant milestone that highlights the effective F-35 Enterprise collaboration across the JPO, U.S. services, partners and industry. Moving forward, our F-35 team remains committed to driving costs down, quality up and faster delivery timelines across our development, production and sustainment lines of effort."

The first 300 F-35s include 197 F-35A conventional takeoff and landing (CTOL) variants, 75 F-35B short takeoff/vertical landing (STOVL) variants, and 28F-35C carrier variants (CV) and have been delivered to U.S. and international customers. More than 620 pilots and 5,600 maintainers have been trained, and the F-35 fleet has surpassed more than 140,000 cumulative flight hours.
View Quote
Pentagon and Lockheed Martin Deliver 300th F-35 Aircraft

As production volume increases and additional efficiencies are implemented, Lockheed Martin is on track to reduce the cost of an F-35A to $80 million by 2020, which is equal to or less than legacy 4th generation aircraft. With the incorporation of lessons learned, process efficiencies, production automation, facility and tooling upgrades, supply chain initiatives and more, the F-35 enterprise has already significantly reduced costs and improved efficiency. For example:

* The price of an F-35A has come down more than 60 percent from the first contract.
* Touch labor has been reduced by about 75 percent over the last five years.
* Production span time has decreased by about 20 percent since 2015.

The F-35 enterprise met its 2017 delivery target of 66 aircraft, representing more than a 40 percent increase from 2016. In 2018, the team is targeting 91 aircraft deliveries and is preparing to increase production volume year-over-year to hit a rate of approximately 160 aircraft in 2023.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#1]
In before the haters?

CMOS  
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#2]
How many are we planning on buying?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]

As and Bs are active right now, but no Cs yet, right?

(I don't mean delivered or trainers, I mean can go blow up stuff)
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Around 2500 I believe
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Almost 1800.

Its going to replace everything but the A10 (and probably the A10)

Edit: the poster above me is correct in total, the Air Force alone is getting 1,763.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Around 2500 I believe
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Around 2500 I believe
Fucking awesome. Hopefully more.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#7]
We built 300,000 aircraft in WWII.

How will our 2,500 F-35's do against the 50,000 whatevers China will no doubt build?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How will our 2,500 F-35's do against the 50,000 whatevers China will no doubt build?
View Quote

lol what.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol, you're not comparing apples to apples
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Chinese and Russians can barely build working jet engines.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#11]
... wow, I had no idea that many have rolled of the production line - goodness
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Probably fire 20 shots each and go home
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Saw one fly this past weekend, awkward looking bird, but she can move!
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
... wow, I had no idea that many have rolled of the production line - goodness
View Quote
nor did I. Haven't been keeping up but damn.

off to educate myself ...
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Awesomely.

Apparently the F35 shows you the range of other enemies detection envelopes.

15-1 is easily doable.

This thing is gonna be maximum tits, and they aren't done with it yet.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm going to help deliver a few next week.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol

#Clueless
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
A single A-4F Skyhawk of the 1960s era could carry 14,000lbs of bombs.

A B-17G of the 1940s could only carry 8000lbs for a short duration mission, and normally carried 4,800lbs of bombs for a long range bombing run.

The Russians currently have 8 prototypes of their non-stealthy Su-57 still in development.  They are still trying to crack the engine code for a next generation (for them) engine.  China buys their engines from Russia, and has been frantically trying to produce a quality, relevant fighter engine for decades, with much failure.

In contrast, the F-35's engine was already developed before the F-35 went into production, and is a new generation of fighter engine ahead of the 1970s/1980s tech F-100 and F110 engines, since it has 14,000lbs more thrust than the 3rd iteration of those legacy engines (called the Improved Performance Engine), has better fuel consumption, and higher reliability, as well as rear-aspect Very Low Observability.

The Chinese have 8 prototypes of the J-20 Stealth Fighter/Interceptor, and 20 production models, so they are well ahead of the Russians in the ability to actually make an aircraft, thanks in large to the Clintons providing them with Lockheed advanced aerospace manufacturing infrastructure tooling in the 1990s.

The Chinese are also making the FC31 lighter weight Stealth Fighter, of which there are only 2 prototypes being tested at the moment.

Meanwhile, we have at least 100 operational, combat-coded F-22As, and hundreds of F-35As, dozens of F-35Bs, and F-35Cs, eventually to total 2,500 aircraft across the 3 services.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Chinese and Russians can barely build working jet engines.
View Quote

Or maintain them once built.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wonder if the F35s automated logistics system will develop and be awesome, or will be forgotten like Denver Airport's automated baggage system.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Chinese air force has 1,200 fighters.  500 are MiG-21 clones.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wonder if the F35s automated logistics system will develop and be awesome, or will be forgotten like Denver Airport's automated baggage system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ALIS helps manage ordering of spare parts.

Doesn't do actual hands-on maintenance, but is a next generation maintenance management tool to streamline parts flow and repairs.

If you look at F-35 fleet safety record so far, it is unprecedented....simply unbelievable how many flight hours have been accumulated with an on-ground engine fire as the worst incident so far.

By this time in the F-15 program, 56 F-15s had crashed, with at least 20 fatalities.  Then again, 1020 F-15A, F-15B, F-15C, and F-15Ds had been built by this time in the program too. Their first crashes and fatalities happened very early in the life of the F-15, and have continued at about a rate of 2 for every 100,000hrs flown.  They lost 17 of them just within the first few years of testing and operational use, between 1975 and 1979.

An F-15C just crashed south of Okinawa within the past 2 days, thankfully the pilot was able to eject and was recovered, initially listed in serious, but now fair condition.

The "newest" F-15Cs were made in 1985, so they are long in tooth for sure.  Were supposed to be replaced with the F-22A for that role, but Congress, Gates, and Hussein made sure to do Russia a solid and cut the F-22 production schedule short by hundreds of units in order to handicap our air defense posture across all the forward-deployed units in Korea, Germany, and elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

ALIS helps manage ordering of spare parts.

Doesn't do actual hands-on maintenance, but is a next generation maintenance management tool to streamline parts flow and repairs.

If you look at F-35 fleet safety record so far, it is unprecedented....simply unbelievable how many flight hours have been accumulated with an on-ground engine fire as the worst incident so far.

By this time in the F-15 program, 56 F-15s had crashed, with at least 20 fatalities.  Then again, 1020 F-15A, F-15B, F-15C, and F-15Ds had been built by this time in the program too. Their first crashes and fatalities happened very early in the life of the F-15, and have continued at about a rate of 2 for every 100,000hrs flown.  They lost 17 of them just within the first few years of testing and operational use, between 1975 and 1979.

An F-15C just crashed south of Okinawa within the past 2 days, thankfully the pilot was able to eject and was recovered, initially listed in serious, but now fair condition.

The "newest" F-15Cs were made in 1985, so they are long in tooth for sure.  Were supposed to be replaced with the F-22A for that role, but Congress, Gates, and Hussein made sure to do Russia a solid and cut the F-22 production schedule short by hundreds of units in order to handicap our air defense posture across all the forward-deployed units in Korea, Germany, and elsewhere.
View Quote
Yup.  I read an article a few months ago they don't have quite all the bugs worked out yet.

That's not a deal breaker for me. They'll keep tweaking it and it'll get better.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can say ALIS is a pain in the ass as it stands now.  But it could just be that I'm old and used to legacy maintenance so none of this shit is logical.

In theory it's great.  Execution is lacking.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Do any of these 300 even have the software to fire the gun yet?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
The gun has been cleared hot for years now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I believe the F-35B can fire its external gun.  Not sure about the F-35A's internal one.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.eyecareuniverse.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/slider.jpg
Just doing my part brother.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Keep on living the dream
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Negative.  Don't work at all.  Doesn't even actually have a gun installed.  Damn thing can't even fly.

F-35 Gatling Gun Test Firing
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Most important part was LMT.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I can say ALIS is a pain in the ass as it stands now.  But it could just be that I'm old and used to legacy maintenance so none of this shit is logical.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to see you're working on it already, brother.

How do you like the F35 compared to the others in your job?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#35]
None these 3 hundred will be combat capable.

In addition, thanks to a process known as concurrency, the U.S. military already owns hundreds of F-35s that could also need costly modifications or end up relegated to secondary, non-combat roles.
View Quote
Without being retrofitted, these aircraft would become “concurrency orphans” — airplanes left behind in the acquisition cycle after the services purchased them in haste before finishing the development process.
View Quote
Left unsaid so far is what will become of the 81 F-35s purchased by the Marine Corps and Navy during that same period. If they are left in their current state, nearly 200 F-35s might permanently remain unready for combat because the Pentagon would rather buy new aircraft than upgrade the ones the American people have already paid for.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#36]
F-35A gun testing was done in 2015.

Here's how the gun story goes:

Anti- F-35 crowd scours the program test schedule, finds what hasn't been tested yet, then proclaims:  "The F-35 can't fire its gun."

F-35A gun testing undertaken as part of a comprehensive, International Test Force comprised of USAF, RoNAF, UK, etc. bringing all their experience together, including 25mm Harrier gun lessons-learned over decades, as well as F-16, F-15, and F/A-18 lessons.

Anti- F-35 crowd scours over the test data, looking for anything potentially negative to continue a narrative....

"The F-35 gun isn't accurate."

Program already tweaking the gun and fire control for the gun, problems get fixed like on any other program. (F-16 and especially the A-10 had major problems with the gun, including crashes and fatalities with the YA-10 program at Edwards in the 1970s. F-16 didn't finalize the structure of the aircraft gun port until the F-16C, with hundreds of F-16A/B produced prior to that.  F-16A Block 15 was the most numerous produced F-16 variant of them all, with the old gun port having to be MLU'd later on.)

Anti- F-35 crowd moves on to another issue, or repeats the pre-2015 claim.

The gun is a 25mm rotary cannon firing a dual-purpose projectile that shreds aircraft, as well as penetrates tank armor.

F-35 Gatling Gun Test Firing
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Are they cleared for combat?  What about the spare parts issues and the jets that can't get the software upgrades?  Did they fix all of the problems found by the GAO?

From what I've read, we at least have enough to cover plenty of airshows.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

In addition, thanks to a process known as concurrency, the U.S. military already owns hundreds of F-35s that could also need costly modifications or end up relegated to secondary, non-combat roles.
Without being retrofitted, these aircraft would become “concurrency orphans” — airplanes left behind in the acquisition cycle after the services purchased them in haste before finishing the development process.
Left unsaid so far is what will become of the 81 F-35s purchased by the Marine Corps and Navy during that same period. If they are left in their current state, nearly 200 F-35s might permanently remain unready for combat because the Pentagon would rather buy new aircraft than upgrade the ones the American people have already paid for.
Pitiful...
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

F-35s from these production runs have already been used in combat, and have penetrated Iranian Air Space for sport, flying to every site possible to radar ground-map and conduct electro-optical surveillance of them in detail.

Here's one flying well inside of the Syrian Air Defense umbrella over Beirut:

So much for your claims about combat-ready.

The first operational squadrons are at Hill AFB, where the USAF higher level maintenance and overhaul facilities are, so any developmental changes that are implemented to subsequent block numbers or lots can be handled at Hill by design, just like they did with the F-16A Blocks 1, 5, and 10 back in the 1980s.

This is by design, and not unique to the F-35A.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Are they cleared for combat?  What about the spare parts issues and the jets that can't get the software upgrades?  Did they fix all of the problems found by the GAO?

View Quote
Based on some threads here, you should ask the IAF that question.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#41]
F-35I Combat Debut

The Israel Defense Forces announced on its Twitter account that the Israeli version of the aircraft, using its “Adir” moniker was used in operational missions.

“The Adir planes are already operational and flying in operational missions,” the tweet said, quoting Israel Air Force head Maj. Gen. Amikam Norkin. “We are the first in the world to use the F-35 in operational activity.”

The Israeli Air Force used the F-35 in two recent strikes in the Middle East, Norkin said, according to the news outlet Haaretz.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't give a shit about Israel's planes.  I'm talking about US planes.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
F-35A gun testing was done in 2015.

Here's how the gun story goes:

Anti- F-35 crowd scours the program test schedule, finds what hasn't been tested yet, then proclaims:  "The F-35 can't fire its gun."

F-35A gun testing undertaken as part of a comprehensive, International Test Force comprised of USAF, RoNAF, UK, etc. bringing all their experience together, including 25mm Harrier gun lessons-learned over decades, as well as F-16, F-15, and F/A-18 lessons.

Anti- F-35 crowd scours over the test data, looking for anything potentially negative to continue a narrative....

"The F-35 gun isn't accurate."

Program already tweaking the gun and fire control for the gun, problems get fixed like on any other program. (F-16 and especially the A-10 had major problems with the gun, including crashes and fatalities with the YA-10 program at Edwards in the 1970s. F-16 didn't finalize the structure of the aircraft gun port until the F-16C, with hundreds of F-16A/B produced prior to that.  F-16A Block 15 was the most numerous produced F-16 variant of them all, with the old gun port having to be MLU'd later on.)

Anti- F-35 crowd moves on to another issue, or repeats the pre-2015 claim.

The gun is a 25mm rotary cannon firing a dual-purpose projectile that shreds aircraft, as well as penetrates tank armor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Nv3FIHNK0
View Quote
You forgot about  "Why's a gun need software?  I could make it work with a toggle switch and a Bosch relay!  There, gun problem solved, pay me Lockheed!"
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you think is that different about the IAF A models that an AF A model couldn't do the same thing if we chose?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What do you think is that different about the IAF A models that an AF A model couldn't do the same thing if we chose?
View Quote
I think that's a question for the F-35 PMO and LockMart fanboys.

LMT should have the US taxpayer painted on USAF Plant 4, with the Brazzers logo underneath.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've either been cleared by the USAF for combat or not.  Am I asking for top secret information?

I don't care what Israel does with their planes.  The US F-35s have gotten horrible press and I'm trying to figure out if it's true or not.  People seem to be dancing around the question.  '

Also, I suspect that there's significant differences in US aircraft and export aircraft, from my limited understanding of international arms sales.  Is this not true?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Almost 1800.

Its going to replace everything but the A10 (and probably the A10)

Edit: the poster above me is correct in total, the Air Force alone is getting 1,763.
View Quote
If we can actually get 1700 of these, no one on Earth will have a prayer of challenging us in the air.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
China isn't going to have 50,000 of anything.

Against what they will actually have, I imagine the F-35 will do just fine.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They've either been cleared by the USAF for combat or not.  Am I asking for top secret information?

I don't care what Israel does with their planes.  The US F-35s have gotten horrible press and I'm trying to figure out if it's true or not.  People seem to be dancing around the question.  '

Also, I suspect that there's significant differences in US aircraft and export aircraft, from my limited understanding of international arms sales.  Is this not true?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The IAF versions are wired to allow them to add indigenous electronic warfare systems but otherwise it's pretty much the same as the US jets.  The jets are cleared to carry a bunch of weapons and we could almost certainly use them tomorrow if we chose to.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#50]
It's too big.

It's too heavy.

It's too expensive.

It's inferior to the F-16.

....wait, crap, that's what they said about the F-15
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top