Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/22/2019 10:10:16 PM EDT
The good idea fairy has been working overtime as of late.

It is about time that Army leadership has started taking a serious look at mobile self propelled artillery systems for equipping the lighter Stryker and Infantry Brigade Combat Teams. I suppose the near peer threats out there today has served as motivation. Towed systems might work against the Vietcong, the Taliban or ISIS. But against Russia or China, you need something that has the ability to quickly shoot and scoot. I just can't believe we weren't using truck mounted howitzer systems 30 or 40 years ago. Better late than never I guess. Now if we can get them to motorize the rest of the light infantry formations with JLTVs, HMMWVs and FMTVs (or some combination of the three), maybe we can finally be able to adequately move and maneuver all of our medium and light infantry in a responsive manner.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 10:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
French CAESARs in Iraq

Link Posted: 6/22/2019 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, there was this

Link Posted: 6/22/2019 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer these:

Link Posted: 6/22/2019 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]
With the advances in field artillery, they really should dust off Atomic Annie and see how far they can make that bitch fly today.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard the army was recently looking at 16" naval guns for some reason.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Trucks must stay on roads. IED's are placed along roads. Tracks can go where there are no roads. Light tracks can cross bridges and are usually amphibious.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:49:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trucks must stay on roads. IED's are placed along roads. Tracks can go where there are no roads. Light tracks can cross bridges and are usually amphibious.
View Quote
We did this already.

Attachment Attached File

M2A1 105mm on a half track, T19 Howitzer Motor Carriage.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:58:37 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
A lot more people can be trained to drive a truck vs a tank with a big gun...
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 1:21:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Out of curiosity, what makes a tank way more difficult to drive.  Granted there will be handling differences and the greater ability to seriously fuck up equiptment and infrastucture w/ the tank.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 3:30:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
BunBun?

Not exactly "light", but I'm ok with that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 3:43:48 AM EDT
[#11]
What we really need are hover tanks!!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 3:50:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Outstanding!

Link Posted: 6/23/2019 4:34:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tracks have significantly more maintenance and fuel requirements. Logistics matters.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 4:46:55 AM EDT
[#14]
They’re for shooting at the beautiful people on Madison Avenue

Also suburbanites with back-yard chickens
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Tracks have significantly more maintenance and fuel requirements. Logistics matters.
View Quote
Track maintenace sucks for the guys who have to do it.

Shit be big and heavy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
They were measuring it for a beret.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#17]
IEDs would not be a particularly large concern in a near peer fight against an enemy that has a fuck-ton of tubes. Speed and mobility would be a much larger matter.
Even still,as I showed French wheeled artillery has been used quite well in Iraq,Syria and Africa. It’s hardly as if an M109 or Panzerhaubitze is immune to a buried pile of 122mm shells.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, what makes a tank way more difficult to drive.  Granted there will be handling differences and the greater ability to seriously fuck up equiptment and infrastucture w/ the tank.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The concept of what is going on when you input controls.
Think about people who can’t back up or reverse a trailer. The common denominator normally is they don’t understand where their wheels are, or what they need the vehicle to do.

Anyone who has a decent amount of time on a zero turn mower has a huge leg up.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
IEDs would not be a particularly large concern in a near peer fight against an enemy that has a fuck-ton of tubes. Speed and mobility would be a much larger matter.
Even still,as I showed French wheeled artillery has been used quite well in Iraq,Syria and Africa. It’s hardly as if an M109 or Panzerhaubitze is immune to a buried pile of 122mm shells.
View Quote
I hope the EDF will just have piles of IEDs with "Free Lunch" written on them in Russian.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#20]
We had mobile mortar platforms where a Polaris Razor had a 120mm mortar in the back, they were pretty mobile
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We had mobile mortar platforms where a Polaris Razor had a 120mm mortar in the back, they were pretty mobile
View Quote
I want one of these for hog eradication.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I hope the EDF will just have piles of IEDs with "Free Lunch" written on them in Russian.
View Quote
Poisoned vodka bottles.

But would they notice?
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Think about people who can’t back up or reverse a trailer. The common denominator normally is they don’t understand where their wheels are, or what they need the vehicle to do.

View Quote
Never mind that tracked vehicles are on the road 99% of the time anyway, despite their theoretical capability to travel off-road.  Travel off-road breaks vehicles much, MUCH faster than roads, and is slower and consumes more fuel.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good point about the zero turn mower. Years ago, my E4 gave me lessons on our M113 and I used to operate it here and there in the field. We realized that since he was the only guy in our group that knew how to drive the track, that we would have a bad day if things got hot and he was wounded. It took me a bit, but I got it soon enough. Our's had stick controls, and it was tough driving only looking through the ports.

Ha ha, I was one of the few LT's back then that learned to drive most of the vehicles we had. 113's, Hemmits, and 5 tons. I drove the 5 ton pretty regularly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The good idea fairy has been working overtime as of late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-2oI3XsJrQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwXwwdBogBo

It is about time that Army leadership has started taking a serious look at mobile self propelled artillery systems for equipping the lighter Stryker and Infantry Brigade Combat Teams. I suppose the near peer threats out there today has served as motivation. Towed systems might work against the Vietcong, the Taliban or ISIS. But against Russia or China, you need something that has the ability to quickly shoot and scoot. I just can't believe we weren't using truck mounted howitzer systems 30 or 40 years ago. Better late than never I guess. Now if we can get them to motorize the rest of the light infantry formations with JLTVs, HMMWVs and FMTVs (or some combination of the three), maybe we can finally be able to adequately move and maneuver all of our medium and light infantry in a responsive manner.
View Quote
Is it just me or do the guys in the first video seem to be moving with a lack of general enthusiasm? Kinda dampens the “shoot and scoot” feature IMO.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Never been done before.

Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Good point about the zero turn mower. Years ago, my E4 gave me lessons on our M113 and I used to operate it here and there in the field. We realized that since he was the only guy in our group that knew how to drive the track, that we would have a bad day if things got hot and he was wounded. It took me a bit, but I got it soon enough. Our's had stick controls, and it was tough driving only looking through the ports.

Ha ha, I was one of the few LT's back then that learned to drive most of the vehicles we had. 113's, Hemmits, and 5 tons. I drove the 5 ton pretty regularly.
View Quote
Driving a track isn't all that hard. You do kinda have to develop a "feel" for what the vehicle is doing, but that goes for your daily driver as well as anything else you'd drive.

I loved driving the Abrams. LOVED it. The 577 was a loud, rattly ass piece of shit, but the stick controls were pretty easy to figure out.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Track maintenace sucks for the guys who have to do it.

Shit be big and heavy.
View Quote
I’m thinking they also never break in a climate controlled shop equipped with over head hoists. They would always break 6 foot deep in a mud puddle.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Driving tracks isnt that hard.  I was just a dumbass 17 year old 13B when I learned.  But as stated, maintenance is a bitch.  Breaking track sucks.  And M109's only have half the track as a tank so I feel sorry for M1 guys.

M109's are made of metal but they dont have shit for armor.  We would have been swiss cheese in combat and IED's would have been very effective.  If I remember correctly, the turret "armor" was just half inch thick plate.

M109's aren't super maneuverable and I wouldn't try to climb mountains in one.  Ft Carson had some trails that would make you pucker.

I'd love to play with the wheeled guns in the OP and give them a go.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Whatever gun bunnies, just put the rounds where I tell you.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
If we ever go near peer, the Stryker, MRAP, and other wheel mounted vehicle/weapons will be quickly erased by land mines, IEDs, and artillery. How much air burst do you think the Hawkeye/Brutus can absorb and continue the mission.  With tracks you can GTF off the roads, vastly reducing the choke points.  With armor, near strikes can be shrugged off.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
BS.  I learned to drive a tank in less than an hour.  It took longer to learn to learn to drive an M113 with laterals.  As a driver, remember to do exactly what the TC/Ground Guide says and only say "right" as a direction, never as a replacement for "correct".  You can't call yourself a tank driver, till you have parallel parked on a German rail flat car.

ETA:  You do not know what the urge to kill is, until you parallel park a tank on a rail car.  Then have the load meister run out with his (loading gauge) stick and say: "NO! NO!  NO!  Zat is no good!  Move your Panzer 22 zentimeters zo the links!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well said that was what I was going to reply with. I think this is a good thing for the army to be getting into. Not everything requires a paladin plus I could see this being more air liftable
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
Marine M777A2 towed batteries can routinely conduct hip shoots faster than the Paladin.

Towed guns have a lot of benefits. Like lighter weight, lower maintenance, ability to use the truck for other than towing the gun...
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I can teach you to drive a tank in about 30 minutes. Driving is not the hard part.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Marine M777A2 towed batteries can routinely conduct hip shoots faster than the Paladin.
View Quote
you're gonna have to explain this one to me.  An M777A2 being towed down the road can pull over, emplace, and get rounds downrange --and on target-- faster than an M109A6 Paladin?
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not hard to drive at all.  Much easier than a wheeled vehicle that's twice the length.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
you're gonna have to explain this one to me.  An M777A2 being towed down the road can pull over, emplace, and get rounds downrange --and on target-- faster than an M109A6 Paladin?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Absolutely.

One is much more reliant on computers and GPS than the other.  If you have a competent crew and FDC(not even amazing, just up to standard) you can be faster than a Paladin with a 777.

Doing everything manually sucks- but it has its place.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spoken like a guy that's never had to keep a 5-ton running. Logistics are not the problem.  Staying alive is the problem.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:09:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Spoken like a guy that's never had to keep a 5-ton running. Logistics are not the problem.  Staying alive is the problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This should be fun.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thats hard to believe.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Thats hard to believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats hard to believe.
People don't think "GPS is updating" and reliance on a computer system be like it is...
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yes. Absolutely.

One is much more reliant on computers and GPS than the other.  If you have a competent crew and FDC(not even amazing, just up to standard) you can be faster than a Paladin with a 777.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Absolutely.

Former FA officer before I went JAG.  I know how quickly a good FDC can compute a firing solution, and I was trained on manual gunnery; it's shocking to me how accurate manual gunnery can be compared to the old BCS and BUCS.

But I'm not talking just about computing the firing solution, I'm also talking about laying and safe-ing the battery.

Are you talking about a one-gun situation, or an entire battery?

ETA: I'm not doubting it can be done, but those cannon crewmembers gotta be moving FAST
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Whats the plan for the Brutus when its below freezing and the deck is iced over? I like the thing but it looks like it would suck ass to service when frozen.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Former FA officer before I went JAG.  I know how quickly a good FDC can compute a firing solution, and I was trained on manual gunnery; it's shocking to me how accurate manual gunnery can be compared to the old BCS and BUCS.

But I'm not talking just about computing the firing solution, I'm also talking about laying and safe-ing the battery.

ETA: I'm not doubting it can be done, but those cannon crewmembers gotta be moving FAST
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Absolutely.

I've only seen it tested with 2 gun sections. But judging by the times I've had Paladins tell me they can't shoot at all because their computers are down leads me to think...
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've only seen it tested with 2 gun sections. But judging by the times I've had Paladins tell me they can't shoot at all because their computers are down leads me to think...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Absolutely.

c'mon man, taking operational readiness into account is cheating!
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Absolutely.

To be fair, only sort of in this case. Because we don't have built in firing computers and GPS to rely on with M77A2s...plus there would still be the delay while the Paladinians wait before they realize the GPS ain't coming up.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
With the advances in field artillery, they really should dust off Atomic Annie and see how far they can make that bitch fly today.
View Quote
Let's see how far we can send a W54 with RAP... previous record was 4km with 155mm. I'm betting we could send one 15+km without much issue, well outside the hazard range.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top