Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/7/2019 3:55:02 PM EDT
MEMEfare is under PSYOPS right?

Psychological operations soldiers working under Army Special Operations Command may soon be adorned with a new piece of headgear, but nothing is finalized.

The idea is essentially still being floated at this point, but it could be a recruiting boon for the PSYOP career field, which is tasked with influencing the emotions and behaviors of people through products like leaflets, loudspeakers and, increasingly, social media.

“In a move to more closely link Army Special Operations Forces, the PSYOP Proponent at the U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School is exploring the idea of a distinctive uniform item, like a grey beret, to those Soldiers who graduate the Psychological Operations Qualification Course,” Lt. Col. Loren Bymer, a USASOC spokesman, said in an emailed statement to Army Times.
View Quote
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2019/11/07/grey-berets-are-being-considered-for-psyop-soldiers-in-special-units/
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The jokes will practically write their selves.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you imagine being so weak minded that you would let a meme influence you in any way?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you imagine being so weak minded that you would let a meme influence you in any way?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Can you imagine being so weak minded that you would let a meme beret color influence you in any way?
View Quote
Not surprising for a service that has a Papa Smurf hat in their emblem I guess.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don’t think you know what a meme is.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Memes are more than a picture of a cat with impact font captions
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems self evident.  But go ahead and explain what a meme is, I’m intrigued by your comment...
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:13:40 PM EDT
[#8]
What they need to do is get rid of all the stupid flair on the daily uniform and leave all the bling on the dress uniforms where it belongs.

Tactical rainbow of berets
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:14:17 PM EDT
[#9]
That's not a meme, that's tl:dr
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#10]
So we are supposed to be mad at people who try influence others through the internet yet we create a military unit to do just that and give them special hats. Brilliant! how much will it cost us taxpayers?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Tres chic Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve heard people on both sides of the political spectrum talk about the meme war and I’ve seen what they post.

You’d have to be a window licker to let it influence your thinking in any way.

It appears to be just something they made up to justify wasting time posting stupid stuff on the Internet.  It’s pants on head retarded to allow yourself to be influenced by anything posted online or on social media, or even as “reported” by old school media for that matter.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#13]
The selection process will include a grueling one week session of memeing while subsisting on a diet of Cheetos, pizza rolls, Mountain Dew, and mom's cookies.  Candidates will be expected to be able to go for months on end without even the faintest suggestion of having sex with an actual living human being.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:22:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Berets are useless.  They have zero function for the uniform.

With that said, I wouldn't take them away from SF, and I'd give the black ones back to the Rangers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Setting up job positions for women?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't the AF Combat Weather guys have a grey beret?
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Thought this was going to be another "boomer" thread.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#18]
A strangely appropriate color.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty much
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Berets are useless.  They have zero function for the uniform.

With that said, I wouldn't take them away from SF, and I'd give the black ones back to the Rangers.
View Quote
Black has been tainted by regular army. The tan ones look good with multicam. I wore a maroon beret, but yes there are too many. That new adviser unit got their own color beret a couple years ago and now psyops. It's becoming dumb real fast.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Why should the Air Force have all the fun?

Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Memetics (aka memes) are not what GD thinks they are
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh Hell yes they will!!   I can't wait.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#25]
A special hat AND a paycheck to be an asshole online, instead of doing it for free?

Time to re-enlist!
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Raspberry Berets for the army skank brigade.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/199158/b06371d91561c88c0a085d5703f667f5_jpg-1152384.JPG
Knot Evein a meme brah.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/199158/b06371d91561c88c0a085d5703f667f5_jpg-1152384.JPG
That is a boomer-tier meme.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Memes influence me to laugh all the time.

Guess I'm weak minded
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've heard people on both sides of the political spectrum talk about the meme war and I've seen what they post.

You'd have to be a window licker to let it influence your thinking in any way.

It appears to be just something they made up to justify wasting time posting stupid stuff on the Internet.  It's pants on head retarded to allow yourself to be influenced by anything posted online or on social media, or even as "reported" by old school media for that matter.
View Quote
The term meme predates the internet. A meme is just an idea that takes root and spreads, virus-like, through communication. That's it.

A meme can be simple or complex. It can be something whimsical, like a captioned picture, or it can be something serious like a religion or a philosophy.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The selection process will include a grueling one week session of memeing while subsisting on a diet of Cheetos, pizza rolls, Mountain Dew, and mom's cookies.  Candidates will be expected to be able to go for months on end without even the faintest suggestion of having sex with an actual living human being.
View Quote
I suspect “grey beret” would begin to describe the unhealthy pallor of their skin.

Remind me why the Army thinks this needs to be done by soldiers rather than having the government hire civilian contractors?  Isn’t this more a CIA-type thing, as computer PSYOPS aren’t going to attack someone or defend against much of anything?  Do meme troops need to meet physical training requirements?  And I can’t imagine the training process.  The outcome....would probably be padded budgets, and memes no one pays attention to.  Plus a new round of ribbons and promotions for the top brass.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's not a meme, that's tl:dr
View All Quotes
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
I guess you haven't noticed the endless stream of butthurt boomers here pissing and moaning about the "ok, boomer" memes
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That is a boomer-tier meme.
View Quote
The left can't meme.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#36]
USACAPOC is going to REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE hard.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#37]
So ranger school will go back to four phases, but instead of mountain, it will be memes, PowerPoint,  SHARP, and pencil whipping unit readiness reports?

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Does the shots the military give you autism or is that a run what you brung situation.

Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bet you think the same about advertising
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Oh man, 4chan vs Grey Berets.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Memes are the low hanging fruit of propaganda
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I’ve heard people on both sides of the political spectrum talk about the meme war and I’ve seen what they post.

You’d have to be a window licker to let it influence your thinking in any way.

It appears to be just something they made up to justify wasting time posting stupid stuff on the Internet.  It’s pants on head retarded to allow yourself to be influenced by anything posted online or on social media, or even as “reported” by old school media for that matter.
View Quote

TC
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I need a gray beret for 2020.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#46]
If your job is fucking with people's heads, I'm thinking that staying below the radar would be PERSEC job #1.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Grey beret.... more like gay beret. Amirite?
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#48]
This is sillier than Marines using umbrellas.

If they want something distinctive, give them their own tab.

There are lots of PERSHING tabs lying around gathering dust since the missiles went away.

In the interest of conserving resources (keeping the Army green) I propose giving the meme warriors surplus PERSHING tabs to set them apart from ordinary, everyday grunts.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:11:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Fighting soldiers from the basement
Fearless men who cut and pasted
Men who meme just what they say
The brave men of the Grey Beret

Silver mice upon their chest
These are men, America's best
One hundred men will post today
But only three win the Grey Beret

Trained to live off hot pockets
Trained in memes, not with rockets
Men who fight by night and day
Courage peak from the Grey Berets
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
So they will heavily recruit candidates on Arfcom.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top