Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/7/2019 11:26:41 PM EDT
I never knew how pulleys worked until I saw this video.  Pretty cool.

Why Snatch Blocks are AWESOME (How Pulleys Work) - Smarter Every Day 228
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:29:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:29:19 PM EDT
[#2]
F=MA, and you can't push with a string.

All you need to know.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#3]
As someone that grew up on sailboats I am confused why people get confused.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The simple machines unit was easily the best unit of all of elementary school.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:32:06 PM EDT
[#5]
To oversimplify things, they're basically the rope version of hydraulics/pneumatics.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:34:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Modern!?

I know for a fact that they date back hundreds of years.

I'll never forget seeing Burt Lancaster beat the stuffing out of a dozen pirates with one.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:34:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup - inclined plane, lever, wedge, wheel and axle, pulley, screw, and C4

Oh, and a neat lego channel

Testing Lego gear and pulley systems - part 2
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried to explain to a customer's kid one time how a screw was just a ramp twisted around an axle.....his mother said "they haven't done simple machines yet".

I told him it would be the highlight of the year for a kid like him.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Spent a lot of time working with them when I designed cranes. On cranes we called them sheaves.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Pulleys aren't all that modern.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Good find. Subscribed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Smarter every day is a good channel. He has a cool video about silencers.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Neat
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Greek crane with pulleys, bc.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Math works.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I enjoyed that one OP.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 12:27:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Guy was confusing. Could have just said that the same amount of work is being done, but you are trading (less) force for (greater) distance. The tension BS is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 12:31:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice post.  I had 5 acres of bull pine, and lodge pole logged on my property so I've got an awful lot of stumps to pull.

I bought this to refresh my memory on pully's, there's not much to it that isn't in this manual.

Link Posted: 12/8/2019 12:34:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I have some old block and tackle out in the shop, I need to get it set up.  Would be useful at times.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:06:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Good find. Subscribed.
View Quote
He has the best channel on YouTube if you're an engineering nerd. He has quite a few gun related ones and even discusses that he is a gun owner.

I absolutely love his channel. The one about where they store moon rocks was fascinating!
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:14:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I never knew how pulleys worked until I saw this video.  Pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2w3NZzPwOM
View Quote

Seriously? How else are they supposed to work?

I use a kit to lift my Jon boat out of the way to the ceiling of my carport.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:20:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Spent a lot of time working with them when I designed cranes. On cranes we called them sheaves.
View Quote
A sheave is a component of a pulley, AKA pulley wheel. Pulley is an assembly.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:32:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Pulleys and their great great grand children, modern cranes are absolutely amazing.

I only own a small 28tn crane. But even it is impressive.

Being able to lift 3000lbs 57 feet away is awesome.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:37:22 AM EDT
[#25]
A good rope and pulley is worth its weight in gold to move cut trees around.

Also helped today to get my new pole saw unstuck
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:40:52 AM EDT
[#26]
So to be clear, his experiment with the stuck jeep provided no mechanical advantage, correct? Simply using the snatchblock alone and moving the pull point from the tree to the bumper did not magnify force in any fashion.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:43:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So to be clear, his experiment with the stuck jeep provided no mechanical advantage, correct? Simply using the snatchblock alone and moving the pull point from the tree to the bumper did not magnify force in any fashion.
View Quote
It doubled the force. That's what they do.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:46:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It doubled the force.  That's what they do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It doubled the force.  That's what they do.
Doubled the force at no sacrifice to distance pulled?

I would understand a second pulley, or block and tackle setup where the force is redirected twice. But only being run through one pulley should only change the direction of force, not the magnitude... ?
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:47:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I would understand a second pulley, or block and tackle setup where the force is redirected twice. But only being run through one pulley should only change the direction of force, not the magnitude... ?
View Quote
No, the expense is half the distance traveled.

You trade one for the other.

It isn't just a redirection, because it was anchored back to the jeep.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:50:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope.  If winch is pulling on the line and the other end of the line is pulling on the bumper, the bumper is being pulled by twice what the winch can haul.  The Jeep moves at half the reel speed.

If you're doing an off axis pull, where the winch line terminates at an anchor (tree or whatnot), then, yeah, you're simply changing the direction of travel between the Jeep and the anchor.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 1:53:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nope.  If winch is pulling on the line and the other end of the line is pulling on the bumper, the bumper is being pulled by twice what the winch can haul.  The Jeep moves at half the reel speed
View Quote
Yep, the object moving ends up moving at half the speed of the line, but with double the force.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 2:02:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Nope.  If winch is pulling on the line and the other end of the line is pulling on the bumper, the bumper is being pulled by twice what the winch can haul.  The Jeep moves at half the reel speed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a guy who (I thought) had used pulleys effectively as a wrecker operator, I'm feeling pretty stupid about this, but I'm going to keep talking through it until it makes sense.

You're proposing that if the winch were to reel in 12" of cable, the jeep would only move toward the pulley 6"? I still can't fathom that- there's nowhere for that distance to get lost.

So is the part of this that I'm missing in the fact that the pull point and the anchor point are the same?
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 2:06:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

As a guy who (I thought) had used pulleys effectively as a wrecker operator, I'm feeling pretty stupid about this, but I'm going to keep talking through it until it makes sense.

You're proposing that if the winch were to reel in 12" of cable, the jeep would only move toward the pulley 6"? I still can't fathom that- there's nowhere for that distance to get lost.

So is the part of this that I'm missing in the fact that the pull point and the anchor point are the same?
View Quote
Yes. The cable is doubled on itself so the distance that the object travels is halved. The drum is still moving at the same speed as always but the cable has to cover twice the distance to move the object as it normally would in a straight pull.

The key to it is that the end of the cable is connected back to the jeep. That doubles the force. If you connect it to anything else, you redirect the force but do not double it.

Physics wont give you something for nothing, but it will trade with you.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 2:23:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I keep a couple of snatch blocks in my recovery kit for my truck winch.
View Quote
Same.

Always interesting to see new to me rigging scenarios with them being used to redirect pulling force in different directions.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 2:24:15 AM EDT
[#35]
I look at pulleys similar to a gear reduction system.  You're trading displacement (movement) for power.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 2:24:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yes. The cable is doubled on itself so the distance that the object travels is halved. The drum is still moving at the same speed as always but the cable has to cover twice the distance to move the object as it normally would in a straight pull.

The key to it is that the end of the cable is connected back to the jeep. That doubles the force. If you connect it to anything else, you redirect the force but do not double it.

Physics wont give you something for nothing, but it will trade with you.
View Quote
Think of it this way.  You are basically doing a gear reduction.  You know how on a 10 speed bicycle when you come to a hill, if you down shift, and you continue to peddle at the same speed,  you go up the hill slower but it's a lot easier to peddle?

That's exactly what the pull does.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 2:24:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I look at pulleys similar to a gear reduction system.  You're trading displacement (movement) for power.
View Quote
Dammit
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 5:59:15 AM EDT
[#38]
I remember rigging a block and tackle out of scrap and loose pulleys to haul some heavy boxes up into the attic. my nearly grown kids thought it was magic.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Had he consulted modern sailboat racers he would've had his mind blown.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Great video.

Loved the old guy who turned up and just knew how to do things.

Dying breed around here
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Always loved Destin's channel and I know he is an actual rocket scientist, but the way he stood and filmed near the anchor point of the winch of the Jeep made me cringe.  Ever see an anchor or winch cable fail under load? Someone posted a liveleak video of that happening here a while back. Snatch block came back through the windshield and made the poor driver's face look like the Predator.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 7:40:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Nice post.  I had 5 acres of bull pine, and lodge pole logged on my property so I've got an awful lot of stumps to pull.

I bought this to refresh my memory on pully's, there's not much to it that isn't in this manual.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/103648/IMG_0197_JPG-1187477.jpg
View Quote
I've never seen that book. Looks handy.  Off to Amazon.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm no engineer, but I believe you are right. The winch gearing/motor may be only experiencing it's current load, but the cable, snatch block, anchor spot and bumper are experiencing double that load.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#44]
They're a good purchase.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#45]
I watch a lot of sailing videos on Youtube. Not that i actually have any real interest to sell everything, buy a tall boat and hit the high seas.  The mechanics of it all just simply fascinates me. We moderns discount what an amazing accomplishment transoceanic technology really was. The Europeans with their scientific approach and the "feelz" methods of the Polynesians before them simply amaze me. Both groups had brains and balls like coconuts.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Always loved Destin's channel and I know he is an actual rocket scientist, but the way he stood and filmed near the anchor point of the winch of the Jeep made me cringe.  Ever see an anchor or winch cable fail under load? Someone posted a liveleak video of that happening here a while back. Snatch block came back through the windshield and made the poor driver's face look like the Predator.
View Quote
I won't disagree with you, but I'm thinking the Jeep wasn't stuck so minimal force was required.  It was simply a demonstration.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Love pulleys?
Here you go!!

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/103648/IMG_0197_JPG-1187477.jpg
No need,here it is

https://manuals.directutor.com/HPE/Rigging-Handbook.fm5-125/index.html?page=1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top