Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/4/2020 2:52:44 PM EDT
How do you get someone to watch older(older to her is like a few years old and beyond back to Jesus times) movies with you..  she is 7 years younger than me so its not like we are that far apart to be completely disinterested in.

I have to threaten divorce(just kidding) to get her to watch stuff that I KNOW she will like.

Few examples..

Took months to get her to watch Back to the Future(never seen it.. i dont know how that slipped passed me when I married her).  She freaking LOVED it.. and immediately wanted to watch the rest.
Same with Indiana Jones TRILOGY.

I took a lot of work but got her to Watch Romancing the Stone.. she freaking LOVED it.. but still does not want to watch Jewel of the Nile.

Been working on The Gods Must be Crazy for a few years now.. I still hit a concrete wall.  Heck her cousin even lives in South Africa!  Maybe I can get her to recommend it.

Been also working on Sgt York as well.. I know its a war movie, but its also not.  I dont even think my wife can see black and white images on the screen.. and refuses to try.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Sigh....

And rules...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The Jewel of the Nile sucked, so there is that..
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#2]
tell her she can either enjoy watching classics with you or she needs to leave the house for the duration of the movie including the credit's and your phone will be shut off - win win either way.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Jewel of the Nile was a steaming pile next to Romancing the Stone
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait until you try to get her to watch The Princess Bride, she finally watches it, and she'll say "I don't get it, why did everyone say it was great?"

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VrodRay:
Jewel of the Nile was a steaming pile next to Romancing the Stone
View Quote

It was.. but i still enojyed it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By HeckThomas:
tell her she can either enjoy watching classics with you or she needs to leave the house for the duration of the movie including the credit's and your phone will be shut off - win win either way.
View Quote

That or just go back in the kitchen to make you a sammich.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:
Wait until you try to get her to watch The Princess Bride, she finally watches it, and she'll say "I don't get it, why did everyone say it was great?"

View Quote

LOL.. i think that was the only non christian made approved movie for church trips growing up.. it is a fantastic movie.. but I think i saw it 2-4x a year from like 5th grade through 12th grade.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife has to put up with me watching crappy movies and old sci fi series on Comet TV. She will watch them but doesn't really care for them. She likes Marvel and DC movies .
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I was with you until Jewel of the Nile.  That one sucks.

The rest are solid flicks.

EDIT: The Jewel of the Nile sucking has already been well covered in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Boomer:

That or just go back in the kitchen to make you a sammich.
View Quote

She does make a dang good sammich!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Aie yie yie yie.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah the best movies were mostly 80's and 90's and maybe some 70's or 2000's. Movies suck now for the most part.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m just amazed that you consider those “Old” movies.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Scratch45:
I was with you until Jewel of the Nile.  That one sucks.

The rest are solid flicks.
View Quote

I just watch it for the Flying Karamozov Brothers juggling
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Some women just like to say no, to say no...
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't blame her. I wouldn't want to see any of those movies again. They were good for a one time viewing when I was a teen but not that great.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Charlie556:
I’m just amazed that you consider those “Old” movies.
View Quote

I dont.. she does.  But think about it.. Raiders is 39 years old!

they are OLDER.. but Sgt York.. that is and OLD movie.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a similar problem ... I think the key is to break the stigma or bias in her mind around “old” movies. She assumed she would dislike them all equally, but eventually I found one she liked (“The Sting”, surprisingly), and has been more open ever since.

Try to make it something at least in the same ballpark of whatever genres she does like. You just have to find that one or two that spark interest and change her perception a little.

Avoid westerns or anything in black & white for a while
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like your recommendations were hits, she shouldn’t be all that resistant to your taste by now.

My wife will give most movies a chance... but she was pretty sure that both Highlander and Point Break would be dumb. Now they’re two of her favorite movies.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By OBird:
I had a similar problem ... I think the key is to break the stigma or bias in her mind around “old” movies. She assumed she would dislike them all equally, but eventually I found one she liked (“The Sting”, surprisingly), and has been more open ever since.

Try to make it something at least in the same ballpark of whatever genres she does like. You just have to find that one or two that spark interest and change her perception a little.

Avoid westerns or anything in black & white for a while 
View Quote

I choose classic romantic comedy adventure(not necessarily in that order, but there is always a love sub plot at minimum for her) movies for the most part when I ask.

I NEVER ask her to watch westerns.. she despises those for some reason..  I love em... but I know its not her thing.

I am very picky about B/W i offer.. so far the only one was Sgt York... and i knew that was a stretch even though it is a fantastic movie.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#22]
If you want to get her into b/w movies, try Schindler's List.

Or Dr. Strangelove if you think the Nazi thing will be too much.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#23]
If your'e dealing with shit like that now well good fucking luck when she hits menopause.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By FunYun1983:
If you want to get her into b/w movies, try Schindler's List. 

Or Dr. Strangelove if you think the Nazi thing will be too much.
View Quote

She would not get Dr Strangelove... i quote that move all the time too.

I MIGHT be able to get her to watch Young Frankenstein.. only because her previous boss did small time stage acting and she chose to go to that to see him in it.. She made me dress up like we were going to see Lion King or Phantom.. im all like.. its Young Frankenstein.. its Mel Brooks... it is going to be wholly inappropriate... nope still had to look nice.

The horror on her face the first 20 minutes... she loved it and I told her boss that she had popped her Mel Brooks cherry that night and he looked at her and said "I dont even know you."  LMAO.

Good lord it was awesome.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#25]
At least shes a cutie and she got dat bootie! And i mean that in the very best way....
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#26]
We just watched The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari this weekend OP so I cannot sympathize with you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Charlie556:
I’m just amazed that you consider those “Old” movies.
View Quote

This.

I was going to say not to bother if she's 30's or younger. The shit you're listing is from the era that is acceptable to folks in their 20's up.

Just get a bunch of John Hughes movies and indoctrinate her.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#28]
My wife refuses to watch newer movies. Not sure why.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HeckThomas:
tell her she can either enjoy watching classics with you or she needs to leave the house for the duration of the movie including the credit's and your phone will be shut off - win win either way.

you have to be careful with that one as they will purposely ask you if you want a specific thing on your sandwich just at a critical time in the movie - at this point making this sandwich should be a mechanical skill so the auditory interruption must be calculated interruption to assert dominance.

better they go sit at  a park bench alone with their thoughts
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Deep Throat is an older movie.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Old movies are pretty much all my wife and I can agree on. It's truly a stressful endeavor to find something we both enjoy. I like either deep thinker movies or stupid shit, and if there's any dark elements to a movie she won't watch.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DangerJ:
Old movies are pretty much all my wife and I can agree on. It's truly a stressful endeavor to find something we both enjoy. I like either deep thinker movies or stupid shit, and if there's any dark elements to a movie she won't watch. 

View Quote

Its a conundrum lol..

Its at minimum 20 minutes for us to find a movie to watch.. a lot of times we both want to see a movie, but not in the mood for the genre at that point so it gets favorited.

I will say, she does do action.. just has to be new.. She watched Extraction last week even.  She does like Dark Crime Drama's.. me not so much but I will watch.  She also eats up every chick flick.  I let her watch those on her own.. sometimes will watch one with her for points, but that is rare.

We really enjoyed Knives Out together.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I don’t necessarily blame her... a lot of movies either don’t hold up well, or just because the movie has some sort of meaning to you, it doesn’t mean it’s a good movie.

That said, you could set one night out of the week as “classic movie night”.

Or take turns deciding on what movie to watch, just make a deal not to complain about the other person’s choice.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#34]
My wife and I just finished watching Charade . She's been on a Charlie Chan kick also .
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Saw Closer again recently. Clive fuckin kills that alpha male character.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I rarely watch movies with my wife. I don't enjoy it... So I do things I enjoy while she watches movies. It's not hard.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#37]
She wouldn't want to watch the Holy Grail.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Can’t help you. We just watched The Quiet Man and Quigley Down Under.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Tell her this movie asks for her specifically

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Sci-fi horror?

Alien(s)

Keep in mind even a movie like Fight club is 20 years old.

Pulp Fiction came out in 1994, meaning Sam Jackson's been wearing out "motherfucker" for 26 years.

My daughter is 15, she gets absolutely none of my movie references. I need her to get just a little older.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

LOL.. i think that was the only non christian made approved movie for church trips growing up.. it is a fantastic movie.. but I think i saw it 2-4x a year from like 5th grade through 12th grade.
View Quote

Same here. My church (LDS) showed it to our youth group all the time in the '90s.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My wife refuses to watch newer movies. Not sure why.
View Quote

Because she has good taste?

New movies suck.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#43]
We watched "Swing Time" with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers just last night.
We watched "Singing In The Rain" with Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds, and Donald O'Connor Saturday.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Have you suggested Casablanca yet?
Or The Blue Max?
The Day The Earth Stood Still?
Magnificient Obsession?
High Society?
The Music Man?
Oklahoma?
The Glenn Miller Story?
The original Ocean's Eleven?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Ever occur to you she's a chick and she's fucking with you because you make too big of a deal over stuff like this and she knows it's annoying you?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Involve bondage in your movie watching.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By freeride21a:

She would not get Dr Strangelove... i quote that move all the time too.

I MIGHT be able to get her to watch Young Frankenstein.. only because her previous boss did small time stage acting and she chose to go to that to see him in it.. She made me dress up like we were going to see Lion King or Phantom.. im all like.. its Young Frankenstein.. its Mel Brooks... it is going to be wholly inappropriate... nope still had to look nice.

The horror on her face the first 20 minutes... she loved it and I told her boss that she had popped her Mel Brooks cherry that night and he looked at her and said "I dont even know you."  LMAO.

Good lord it was awesome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By freeride21a:
Originally Posted By FunYun1983:
If you want to get her into b/w movies, try Schindler's List. 

Or Dr. Strangelove if you think the Nazi thing will be too much.

She would not get Dr Strangelove... i quote that move all the time too.

I MIGHT be able to get her to watch Young Frankenstein.. only because her previous boss did small time stage acting and she chose to go to that to see him in it.. She made me dress up like we were going to see Lion King or Phantom.. im all like.. its Young Frankenstein.. its Mel Brooks... it is going to be wholly inappropriate... nope still had to look nice.

The horror on her face the first 20 minutes... she loved it and I told her boss that she had popped her Mel Brooks cherry that night and he looked at her and said "I dont even know you."  LMAO.

Good lord it was awesome.

At least thats a deep and enjoyable rabbit hole.

Does she know how awesome True Lies is?  What about Commando?

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Watch the movie by yourself. Either she joins in or she doesn't. What else can  you really do.

I sort of identify with it though. I have zero interest in watching most black and white movies, don't find any humor in most 70s comedies, and most "classic" WWII movies are so laughably bad in the sound effects and dialogue that I can't make it through.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Well use other than reverse cow girl and doggie style while you watch your movies.  

You are welcome.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Fiddler On The Roof
Gone With The Wind
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top