Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/29/2020 8:28:29 PM EDT
Can anyone offer any ideas why this door is leaking like so?

New construction.   Door has not yet been firmly/finally set.  Still roughed in awaiting finishing carpenter.

Edit: zip board sheathing used on outside.  Dynaflex caulk (heavy) covered with zip tape above door.  Dynaflex caulk on outside of door frame.  

Zip board currently exposed-brick not yet laid

OSB is temporary decking for framed deck.   Will be removed upon final completion of deck. OSB is several inches BELOW the door threshold. Just a bad pic angle.

No tyvek house wrap-using zip board

There is overhang-standard soffit

Thank you

Double ETA:

I noticed water beads on the inner weather strip as pictured below:

Triple Edit:

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess is improper installation

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Needs more caulk
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Either there is no weatherstripping (can't tell in the photo) or the frame might not be square causing the door to have gaps.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Wicking in from the OSB outside?
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#5]
No pix from outside, but I'm guessing that there is no silicone or vycor behind your 908 casing, and likely no dripcap on top, since you say its just temped in there. Also, it looks like its only a couple inches higher than outside.
If its temped, there is likely no membrane, nor any silicone underneath the threshold.
Guessing here.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a similar door that was leaking around the glass frame.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Exterior OSB is pitched toward the door?

Quoted:
No pix from outside, but I'm guessing that there is no silicone or vycor behind your 908 casing, and likely no dripcap on top, since you say its just temped in there. Also, it looks like its only a couple inches higher than outside.
If its temped, there is likely no membrane, nor any silicone underneath the threshold.
Guessing here.
View Quote

I like this answer.

House wrap was cutaway from underneath door.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My guess is improper installation

View Quote

This guy just might be on to something.......
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#9]
If it has been "temporarily" installed, it wasn't caulked under the threshold and water is leaking in.

ETA; I hope that OSB is epoxy coated, or you're screwed. It looks like the cheap stuff.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably because whatever that is outside looks to be on the same plane as the door.  Water needs to drain yo. Had the same shit at my house outside deck was at same height as door and rotted out the floor.  You certainly don't need to be smart to be a carpenter so question everything.  There are tons of hacks out there.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Needs to be caulked and painted
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Any exterior door not under roof cover like a porch or patio needs to swing out.
And then I’d still have an awning over it.

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Is the outside of the house sided or finished?

If not, that might be the problem.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Around here the answer is Mexicans.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#15]
No door pan
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you all for the prompt and thoughtful replies.  It is appreciated.

Currently exposed zip board.  Brick not yet installed.

I’ll take update external pics tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Shitty OSB outside.
Leaves piled up at door leads me to think the wind blows towards door.
Door improperly flashed, particularly under threshold. This can be taken care of when door is installed permanently.
Whats up with shitty OSB outside? Don't tell me its going to be tiled.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#18]
My question is WTF  is OSB  being used for outside?
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#19]
This thread is relevant to my interests. I've got two doors in my addition that also leak like that. I can assure you, there is silicone all around the casing, and under the sill, and the exterior is properly sided with house wrap and a drip cap. The doors were properly installed - one of them twice.

The best I can tell, it's just running in between the door and the weather strip at the bottom corner. I've done a lot of googling, and what I see is either "you need a longer overhang" (mine is only about 12") or "this is why people have storm doors."

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#20]
The top and rain diverter, poor install.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Either there is no weatherstripping (can't tell in the photo) or the frame might not be square causing the door to have gaps.
View Quote
Its coming under the threshold.

You need a lot of sealant under that. Even then is there no overhang for that door? You're going to have issues even with the door installed correctly.

Is that ply just laid down on a deck in front of the door?
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#22]
OSB is merely a temporary safety floor for deck.

Deck is framed but I’m going with azek composite.  

OSB is merely so folks don’t fall through the framed deck.   OSB will be removed at completion of project.

Thanks a lot!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

ETA; I hope that OSB is epoxy coated, or you're screwed. It looks like the cheap stuff.
View Quote

Does not exist... even plain 7/16” OSB is over $23 a sheet.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#24]
At this point they can remove the door unit and install the proper sealant under the door threshold. Personally I would use NP1.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Deck is framed but I'm going with azek composite.  

OSB is merely so folks don't fall through the framed deck.

Thanks a lot!!
View Quote
So the azek isn't installed and it's just 1/2" OSB down on the framing?

Your decking is going to be taller than that sheet of OSB...

Without over hangs, having a step down will alleviate most of that.

Wind driven rain is a mother fucker.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#26]
A door shouldn't have to be waterproof to keep water from running under it, there shouldn't be any water there.

The door's not installed properly either, but that's the least of the worries IMO.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Deck is framed but I'm going with azek composite.  

OSB is merely so folks don't fall through the framed deck.

Thanks a lot!!
View Quote

Deck framing should be slightly lower than finished floor, 1 1/2". Its easier to flash to prevent water migrating under door.

ETA: Make sure they don't use silicone caulking under the threshold. That stuff is crap. Sekaflex is good.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Any exterior door not under roof cover like a porch or patio needs to swing out.
And then I’d still have an awning over it.

View Quote

Not in the snow belt unless you want to wake up one morning and have to climb out your window to remove the snow that keeps you from opening your door.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Forget the door for a minute, why is there OSB outdoors like that?

A door shouldn't have to be waterproof to keep water from running under it, there shouldn't be any water there.

The door's not installed properly either, but that's the least of the worries IMO.
View Quote
It's temporary over the deck framing...

And yes, the door does need to be flashed and waterproofed. What?
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Needs more caulk
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Which Caulk Do You Like OP?
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Because it's a Therma-tru door. They all leak.

Their fix is to provide a plastic pan that installs first and then the door gets installed onto the pan. The door still leaks but this factory pan channels water to the outside.

Their design has a metal threshold with adjustable insert. It's never properly caulked and always leaks.

Welcome to Therma-Tru.

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's temporary over the deck framing...

And yes, the door does need to be flashed and waterproofed. What?
View Quote

Even if the door is flashed and waterproofed if water is running up against it it will fail, the frame will rot from the bottom up in five years or so.

If the OSB is the reason water is running under the wall there's your answer. It looks to me like the deck is built too high and/or not sloped away from the wall.

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Need more  caulk
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#34]
There should be 3 continuous beads of silicone or polyurethane sealant under the threshold.

New door frames either include, or can be ordered with rot restistant material.

Last, look for a door manufacturer label, then go online to find their install instructions. Examples: Thermatru Jeldwen, Simpson, etc.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#35]
You sure it's the door and not coming from somewhere else. I had a window that leaked, leak was coming from roof.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Door set in a Sill pan and flashing tape on outside of frame > bead of caulk.

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Also I don’t think I’ve ever seen a construction thread in GD where everyone said “yea that looks good, those guys did it right.”

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You sure it's the door and not coming from somewhere else. I had a window that leaked, leak was coming from roof.
View Quote

Have observed zero moisture damage/signs on drywall in ceiling or above door.   Don’t believe it’s the roof.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Will update OP with these pics.

I noticed water beads on the inner weather strip as pictured below:

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Maybe there is a boy doggy around?
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Looks like your jamb is broken on the hingeside bottom.
Either way, if its just temped in, it will leak.
Just make sure the installer builds a membrane pan under it, silicones the opening under the threshold, back of the 908, and a vycor tape around the opening. Tape to plywood, housewrap goes OVER the tape, and a proper dripcap.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I had a similar problem with a door that swung in and had no overhang. Tried many of the things suggested here. Wound up adding a storm door which solved the problem.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks all
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#44]
What is the door rated for, if at all? It’s not a failure until water passes the rear plane of the frame, so water on the weather strip is not an issue. The water on the floor is your issue.

The detailing on that door is going to suck and you would be better served to raise it up and have a threshold so all the flashing at that outside deck can be tied in, based on the photos I’m seeing.

The deck membrane needs to extend up the wall and be lapped by the wall weather barrier, or terminated as directed by ZipWall.

The door opening should have a sill flashing, either metal with a back dam, or membrane extended back and use a wood block to make a back dam that the membrane extends over. Sealant along the inside of the frame and skip seal the sill of the door along the outside too allow water to drain.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Can anyone offer any ideas why this door is leaking like so?
View Quote

Answer - Its not a submarine door.

Seriously we need additional photos of the exterior.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Doors on backwards
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Needs more caulk
View Quote
Black caulk!
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Neither
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No door pan
View Quote

This.  Needs a sill pan.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:38:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Pull the Sheetrock. Look at the installation. For that matter, just close the door and note the gap all the way around. Carpenters are getting lazy at installing doors. I had to pull the trim and shim the outside doors in our house. It was concerning, only half a dozen finishing nails holding it in. The interior doors were installed correctly. This was 18 years ago, so it probably is worse, and even more worserer, they probably don't know how to install an exterior door.
The foundation should have a lip for the door sill. The decking may be a contributing factor as well. Lean on your builder until answers are given and solutions made.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top