Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/2/2021 3:42:12 PM EDT
I just got diagnosed with acromioclavicular (AC joint) arthritis. The orthopedist gave me a cortisone shot today and said to follow up in a couple of weeks to discuss surgery if the pain is still there.  

Has anyone been down this road and could offer some advice?  Did cortisone help, or the surgery?  

Some background, I’ve been a firefighter for almost 20 years.  I got hurt at a fire back in January and have had severe shoulder pain since.

Has anyone with a physically demanding job had this and bounced back?  

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just got diagnosed with acromioclavicular (AC joint) arthritis. The orthopedist gave me a cortisone shot today and said to follow up in a couple of weeks to discuss surgery if the pain is still there.  

Has anyone been down this road and could offer some advice?  Did cortisone help, or the surgery?  

Some background, I've been a firefighter for almost 20 years.  I got hurt at a fire back in January and have had severe shoulder pain since.

View Quote
Keep moving and doing ROM(range of motion) movements.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Yoga! Yoga! Yoga!
That is all.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some background, I've been a firefighter for almost 20 years.  I got hurt at a fire back in January and have had severe shoulder pain since.

I will do that, not today though, my shoulder is killing me after the cortisone shot.  

I did do 6 weeks of physical therapy, that didn’t help a whole lot, but I’ll keep doing the exercises.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Try BPC-157

https://fitnessedge.net/bpc-157-overview/

TB500 may also help.  BPC-157 should be injected close to the tissue affected for it to work best.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yoga! Yoga! Yoga!
That is all.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty sure I'm having my first real taste of arthritis in my left shoulder at 62.

I still have good ROM, but oh man does it ache when I first wake up in the morning.

I normally sleep on my right side, so I'm pretty sure it's not related to that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Try Glucosamine and chondroitin.

I dont have arthur, but it does help me with various joint aches.

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm just here because I am also 37 and I may glean some useful information.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#9]
If I were you, I'd get a second opinion and even a third.

Sometimes surgeries to correct pain wind up causing you more pain and make you wish for your former pain level. Been there, done that.

But sometimes they work too, people tell me.

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Try BPC-157

https://fitnessedge.net/bpc-157-overview/

TB500 may also help.  BPC-157 should be injected close to the tissue affected for it to work best.  

View Quote

Second BPC-157.  AWESOME stuff for recovery.

Although it shouldn't have to be injected close to injury.  From what I heard, once it's picked up in the bloodstream it circulates throughout the body.  There's a podcast with some French doctor on Ben Greenfield's site, one of the podcasts.  That's why orals have worked with people too.  The doc also said that you're also just risking further injury trying to inject where you want it to work.

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sometimes surgeries to correct pain wind up causing you more pain and make you wish for your former pain level. Been there, done that.

View Quote
Indeed. I'd make one of those with a rheumatologist too. Just to substantiate the first diagnosis.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Some background, I’ve been a firefighter for almost 20 years.  I got hurt at a fire back in January and have had severe shoulder pain since.

View Quote

Lift weights to GROW MUSCLE
Get your other joints xrayed including your wrists you may have degenerating connective tissue to watch out for.
Cortisone and steroids is a short term solution, avoid both if you can.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#13]
An injury a couple months ago and they rule our a cuff tear without an MRI? And go straight to arthritis?

Yeah, get another opinion. Or two.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Get your other joints xrayed including your wrists you may have degenerating connective tissue to watch out for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lift, but carefully. Don’t wear out what you still have left.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I did the elimination diet a year ago to try and fix my chronic arthritis/inflammation. I found that I wasn’t allergic to much but cutting sugars and carbs from my diet almost completely fixed my arthritis, inflammation and even my chronic allergies. Doc says that if my body was responding to the excess carbs/ sugars with inflammation, that would have amplified my allergic reactions. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
An injury a couple months ago and they rule our a cuff tear without an MRI? And go straight to arthritis?

View Quote

Welcome to workers comp.

ETA: to clarify workers comp took care of the initial injury back in January.  I went to the ER for x rays (normal), went to the ortho who diagnosed it as an AC joint sprain.  He ordered 6 weeks of PT and when I returned with pain he ordered the MRI.  He read the report today and said it’s arthritis.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got bad news for you.  It doesn't get better.  I'm looking at a shoulder replacement and I'm 52.  Started going downhill when I was in my early 40's.  Did cortisone shots every 4 months for about 6 years then they quit working.  I still lift but I'm pretty much limited to decline bench and rows.  Flat bench hurts and inclines are out of the question.  Shoulder press?  Fuck off.  Lat pull downs with light weight.  Still hurts like hell.  Some mornings I can't even get my arm up to wash my hair.  Fun.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I just had shoulder surgery three weeks ago to clear out some arthritis, remove some bone spurs, and shave a bit off my clavicle.

Pain wasn't too bad...Tylenol took care of it.

Stiff for a bit, but physical therapy (3x a week) has been great. I have full range of motion back and now am working on getting my strength back. I will be ditching the sling on Wednesday, so things should improve quickly after that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Came to post this, I'm dealing with a bad shoulder right now. Started hurting after moving and got worse rather than going away over 6 months.

X-ray showed calcific tendinosis.

MRI showed a very fucked up shoulder: a partial full thickness tear on one muscle/tendon, and second tendon detatched at the bone, degenerative arthritis and the same tendinosis the x-ray showed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#20]
You can't rely on someone else's insurance for assurances that all boxes have been checked. Not sure how you get it done. but if you need second opinion, you need to push the issue.

I have an impingement, diagnosed a few years ago during ortho visit for torn AC in other shoulder.  I've had cortisone shots over the years, but the last couple didn't last very long, so I quit that.  It's getting pretty bad.  In January went to the ortho that did my ankle surgery a decade ago.  Gave me a script for Celebrex...not helping. He said if that didn't work he'd give me a different shot that they have to use imaging to place it (might still be cortisone, I don't know). This impingement is on the bottom side, not on top like all the youtube vids show.

I needed to brace my hammock post a couple weeks ago, so out up another 4x4 and connected it at the top with a 1" dia pipe...thought I'd try to get to the point I could do a pullup or something for some chest/back exercise.  Just hanging from it for 30 seconds a couple times a day (hurts like hell at first) has relieved a huge amount of my pain. YMMV, but I coincidentally had a youtube vid pop up the other day that recommended this hanging for shoulder pain, I can attest to it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Had an ortho surgeon tell me the same thing.

A second opinion ortho PA told me it was shoulder impingement, a neck problem. Did PT, home exercises. That was a year ago. Back to lifting weights and no more shoulder pain.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've got bad news for you.  It doesn't get better.  I'm looking at a shoulder replacement and I'm 52.  Started going downhill when I was in my early 40's.  Did cortisone shots every 4 months for about 6 years then they quit working.  I still lift but I'm pretty much limited to decline bench and rows.  Flat bench hurts and inclines are out of the question.  Shoulder press?  Fuck off.  Lat pull downs with light weight.  Still hurts like hell.  Some mornings I can't even get my arm up to wash my hair.  Fun.
View Quote

QFT .

In construction.
Noticeable difference starting around 45 years old.
Almost 50... takes months to heal instead of days or weeks.
Can be demoralizing, but I appreciate good health more now.  

ETA:  I don't have good advice for the shoulder.  I'm still hoping my
shoulder improves with time.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I hurt my shoulder lifting waits and a cortisone shot into the joint from 3 different angles fixed it. That was 14 years ago.   They filled that joint up with that stuff.  So far so good.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#24]
As the local, mostly vegetarian here... I suggest looking at your diet. Specifically, what foods you eat that can cause suspect to cause inflammation, and, act accordingly.

I am a big believer it diet over meds for treating most all of our ailments (think functional medicine). This includes children, teens, young and older adults. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#25]
It all goes downhill from here OP, get used to it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Glucosamine/Chondroitin with MSM. Also, lower carb intake and ALL sugars which cause inflammation.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Cortisone shots really helped my shoulders for a few months.  Get the shot and do physical therapy.

I have had about 3 or 4 shots and they all helped immediately and lasted a few months.  They will last longer if you don't abuse your shoulders.

I have had 2 rotator cuff repair surgeries.

I am currently scheduled to have one of these installed in May:

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just had shoulder surgery three weeks ago to clear out some arthritis, remove some bone spurs, and shave a bit off my clavicle.
View Quote

Same as above but now seven weeks post-surgery. I had a few more things done than listed above but it had gotten to the point where I essentially had a worthless limb so surgery wasn't really what I'd consider "elective" by that point.  I've now had surgery on both shoulders, the first two rodeo's were due to traumatic injury, the most recent surgery was high-mileage/use.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I will do that, not today though, my shoulder is killing me after the cortisone shot.  

I did do 6 weeks of physical therapy, that didn’t help a whole lot, but I’ll keep doing the exercises.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. That’s pretty much it.  Try to keep mobility and flexibility through ROM
I did get a cortisone shot once along time ago.  It did help for awhile but then it returned.
I did not pursue it any further for other options. Doc basically said you got the “thritis” and not much you can do.  Getting old and just abused my body and joint for years.
I just live with the pain.

Edit. Read through the rest of the posts. Damn. Well I guess there are other option like replacement. I will consider it if the pain ever becomes unbearable. It is currently manageable
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Been there, done that (hip instead of shoulder), and all I got was this lousy chronic pain...
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Indeed. I'd make one of those with a rheumatologist too. Just to substantiate the first diagnosis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

my father was diagnosed as having "frozen shoulder" and they sent him to physical therapy to get it freed up.

he was in excruciating pain during the exercises but kept it up for 6 months.

after that and no improvement + additional pain, he went to see a orthopedic surgeon. who found he had bone spurs, they caused more damage to the joint with the PT.

they removed the spurs and replaced the damaged joint, and he got like 80% of the lost ROM back.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I just had surgery a couple months ago left shoulder best decision I have made
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Similar to what my son is going through. He’s already had rotator cuff  surgery on each shoulder and just had another on his left shoulder to reattach some ligaments/tendons. Both shoulders are arthritic, and he’ll be 37 later this year.

His orthopedic doc says he’ll probably need both shoulders replaced by his mid 40s.

LC
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Welcome to workers comp.

ETA: to clarify workers comp took care of the initial injury back in January.  I went to the ER for x rays (normal), went to the ortho who diagnosed it as an AC joint sprain.  He ordered 6 weeks of PT and when I returned with pain he ordered the MRI.  He read the report today and said it's arthritis.
View Quote
Arthritis diagnosis should rule out a WC case. You got hurt, but the root problem is not work related.
I am not a lawyer, but I have seen this happen more than once. So I would definitely get another opinion or two.
that all being said, I would rather dig my eye out with a fork than to deal with WC.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Anybody mention Keto yet?

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can with good focused PT, NSAIDS etc. At the end of 31 years and 7 months, both knees with one replaced, 1 shot out ankle, mild rotator in the right, partial SLAP in the left shoulder, compression in c-5/6 c6/7 that gives me numbness in my hands. l-3/4, 4/5 and L5/S1 bulges that cause sciatica that can be a real bitch. But, hey, that's what we signed on for right?
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I kind of wondered why the doc is talking surgery for arthritis unless he is calling bone spurs arthritis. All the firemen I know that had shoulder surgery was for torn rotators and were a 6 to 8 month recovery.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

After all the PT, pharmaceuticals, and miracle cures have failed, remember akcaribouhunter's words.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had the surgery (A/C clavinectomy) in 2002 at 32 years old.  The pain came on suddenly and was unbearable.  Steroid injection did nothing.  Recovery was several months but was totally worth it.  Was on light duty for many months until it healed but have had no problems since except it kinda screwed up my ability to throw things.  The majority of people posting comments in this thread have no idea what they are talking about.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#40]
I was diagnosed with arthritis in my spine in my late 30s. Prednisone helped but it's not a solution I do take an anti inflammatory pill twice a day. If the doctor tells you things you don't like get more opinions. My first one basically said suck it up and stop bitching about it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I have it in both shoulders. Severely separated my right shoulder in 1987 and now it is arthritic, and it is still deformed, but usable. I got a steroid shot in my left shoulder about two months ago, very little pain since the injection. I hurt every day, but it's tolerable so far. I'm 56.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#42]
I had mine cleaned out but had a torn rotator cuff, bicep tendon and 2 bone spurs too. The arthritis was minor compared to those but it still hurt before the tears made surgery necessary. Cortisone shots repeatedly did nothing, they don’t anywhere else and it has to get cleaned out, at least for me. Joint pain sucks ass and depending on body comp arthritis may be worse for you, may not. I know for me it makes it worse, it’s in my neck with degenerative disk disease.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Bro, I had it so bad in my hip sex was getting hard to do.  Had a shot and almost two years later no pain.

I also have a 3rd degree separation of the AC joint in my right shoulder so nothing to worry about there..

What are the surgical options?  cutting the ligaments and letting the joint separate.

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#44]
The real repair for a chronic arthritic joint is replacment.   I have an arthritic shoulder and that is my diagnosis.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Count your self lucky its just one shoulder.  I have 2 of them.  The trick is after the injection for the first 24 hours dont do much with that shoulder. Really let that medication diffuse throughout the area. It will last a lot longer.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Bro, I had it so bad in my hip sex was getting hard to do.  Had a shot and almost two years later no pain.

I also have a 3rd degree separation of the AC joint in my right shoulder so nothing to worry about there..

What are the surgical options?  cutting the ligaments and letting the joint separate.

View Quote

He said the cartilage is basically gone so he’d go in and scrap off the ends of the bones to open things up a bit, basically.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Bounced back ??  No .

And you should consider surgery very very carefully .

It's painful .   All the time .

gd
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Start taking ionic boron.  

It’s the reason places like the ME and parts of EU don’t have arthritis problems like we do in the west because their soil is saturated with ionic boron.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Search keto diet and inflammatory diseases
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cortisone helps for a while,  surgery helps more.

You must do the PT and stretching after surgery,  or it won't work out well.

If you do the PT and stretching,  surgery generally works out a whole lot better than not having it.

Also LOL at all the junk paeudo-science that's popped up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top