Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2021 1:15:57 PM EDT
Small town, local tire shop that has treated us really well for over a decade.  Took my 2020 F250 in for new tires today and he just called to tell me they smacked the passenger side mirror and will be ordering a replacement.

Replacement cost is $1400.

I told him to send me pics.  As a local, small business owner and all around nice guy I just can't see making them replace a mirror that's horribly overpriced on a truck that I consider a work truck and will use up and throw away when I'm done, even if it does look pretty nice right now.  My price on the tires was pretty close to $1,400, so they'd be giving me a set of tires for the privilege of breaking a mirror.  For them, that would really suck.

I'll post pics in a minute from my phone.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Waiting for picsthose mirrors are getting pretty pricey now
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#2]
That price seems incredibly steep.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Today I learned that OP is a nice guy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
hmmm... depends.  If it's cosmetic damage only, and on a work truck, I'd tell them to let it slide.

If it's functional damage, break it you buy it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Waiting for picsthose mirrors are getting pretty pricey now
View Quote

$1,400 worth of good will towards the local tire shop/mechanic is nice to have too.  These guys know our cars and if we leave them overnight they'll call us and ask what needs to be done.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#6]
So you’re willing to fix a $1400 mirror out of your own pocket because someone else broke it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Lawyer up!  They owe you a new truck at the very least!

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

If the truck is well optioned, that sounds about right. The high end trucks have power fold/extend/adjust, defrosters, turn signals, and puddle lights.

The basic trim level mirrors are still $500+ for simple power adjust mirrors.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#9]
What tires??
Hopefully not Falken Wildpeaks....
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just remembered that my newly married and extremely poor daughter just had her car break down, it's a Honda minivan and the crank pully just pooped out, dropped the ring of the pully on the ground and left the belt flopping.  We dropped it off to the shop just the other day.

I think I'll ask them to work me out a swap of some sort, give them a big discount (free pass) on the mirror if they'll bill my daughter like $100 and not tell her the rest of the story.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So you’re willing to fix a $1400 mirror out of your own pocket because someone else broke it?
View Quote

If it's just scratched/paint marked from rubbing on the doorway of the garage but still 100% functional and in one piece, I'm not going to replace it and I don't think it's worth a new set of tires to them.

If it's badly cracked and going to cause issues with the function...  We might still work something out.

Good will is more valuable that getting what I deserve.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Let them do the right thing and tell them that's why you'll be back. Accidents happen.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe half it with them if you feel bad.

Honestly the price isn’t bad for the mirror for those saying it’s steep
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If the truck is well optioned, that sounds about right. The high end trucks have power fold/extend/adjust, defrosters, turn signals, and puddle lights.

The basic trim level mirrors are still $500+ for simple power adjust mirrors.
View Quote
Granted we have been getting mirrors for older stuff but even with all the options I think the highest price was $300 not including paint.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If it's just scratched/paint marked from rubbing on the doorway of the garage but still 100% functional and in one piece, I'm not going to replace it and I don't think it's worth a new set of tires to them.

If it's badly cracked and going to cause issues with the function...  We might still work something out.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they hit the mirror on the doorway hard enough to break it there is a good chance the door is damaged too. Don't be too soft, just keep sending them business. You know you would make right any issue you caused for a customer, let them and you'll both be happier and the guy won't feel indebted to you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I just remembered that my newly married and extremely poor daughter just had her car break down, it's a Honda minivan and the crank pully just pooped out, dropped the ring of the pully on the ground and left the belt flopping.  We dropped it off to the shop just the other day.

I think I'll ask them to work me out a swap of some sort, give them a big discount (free pass) on the mirror if they'll bill my daughter like $100 and not tell her the rest of the story.
View Quote
That's a nice thing to do.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What tires??
Hopefully not Falken Wildpeaks....
View Quote

Are they notorious for breaking mirrors?
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Good on you.
Their may be a non oem aftermarket mirror available.
My wife washed he new Rav4 and didn't place the spayer in the holding tube and clip the hose to wall, pulled out, 'SNAP'.
I repaired it the FIRST time, ordered one from Amazon for FAR less than what the OEM cost after another Whhops, I did it again.....
Color matched perfectly and it fit fine, power functions are 100%.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That sounds like a win-win to me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

If that is an interference motor they may be better off buying you a mirror
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't get too far ahead of yourself until you see it.

Other options include them buffing out surface issues or finding a takeoff from a junkyard.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

sometimes, yeah.  Do you even small town, bro?
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#23]
$1400 mirror... does it have lane departure cameras, or other driver assistance stuff in it?  Make sure their quote includes calibration and not just swapping parts, otherwise you could be in for funny performance issues and error lights down the line.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Let them fix it, they have insurance.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

$1,400 worth of good will towards the local tire shop/mechanic is nice to have too.  These guys know our cars and if we leave them overnight they'll call us and ask what needs to be done.
View Quote

If they comp'd the tire purchase I'd be perfectly happy with one from a junkyard. Especially if they just damaged the shell. Easy swap.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Tire changers are not know for being precise or delicate. Let them offer a place to mutually take it to, but I wouldn't let them personally repair it.

edit: read more of post, sounds like yall got history and trust each other. I wouldn't burn that down, but be more reasonable about it. Like who will do the repairs, cause if you let them, and it looks like crap or doesnt "function as it shoud" it may actually create more distrust for both parties. You will be seen as a kAren and they will be seen as some dishonest hillbillies.

im a country side dweller btw., so im not special or some shit.

Bonus: dont ever hire a friend to work for you, it will possibly ruin a good thing. Sometimes buddies dont make good employees or such.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

The OP is a stand up guy. We certainly need more people like him in the country.

@OP well done
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree

I never saw the pics, but I'm assuming this is minor cosmetic damage rather than serious damage.  It's a work truck, so I'm with OP on this.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Op is a good guy, we like op.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#30]
That's pretty upstanding, on both ends....

I had an alignment shop mess up a power mirror once.... near as I can tell, the guy must have taken the car out for a test drive, couldn't figure out the adjustment controls (weird European setup) and just used brute force to move the mirror. Broke the internal housing.   Nobody said jack shit to me, and after I figured it out later and called the shop about it, they basically said "sorry, it must have been like that when you brought it in - we didn't touch the mirrors at all".  Cost me like 400 bucks to get a new part imported.

Needless to say, I never went back to that shop, and will still de-recommend them to friends and family.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Tell them to grab one from the pick n pull junkyard.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Here’s the pics, it’s a bit worse than I was hoping.

I’ll look around for an aftermarket shell, maybe it’s easy to put the existing motors and sensors into a new shell?
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Id want that replaced and would not care how much it cost them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

You answered your own question.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#36]
@SCW

what gears do you have?

what MPGs are you getting in that beast?
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#37]
That ain't too bad. I wouldn't replace it, just drive it. Like you said, it's a work truck.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
SCW is a very cool guy.

And he has a skull on the back of his phone...
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd replace the clear cover and use a dark epoxy to fill ALL of the cracks to prevent corrosion from water.
If it was done properly it woul barely be noticable.
And the OP doesn't seem like the type of man to do a walk around inspection everytime that he gets in it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
That ain't too bad. I wouldn't replace it, just drive it. Like you said, it's a work truck.
View Quote

Somewhere between these two I think.  I was really hoping it wasn't cracked enough to let water in, but..  It's not like I'm going to be happy with a bunch of glue or calk sealing it up either.

Quoted:
@SCW

what gears do you have?

View Quote

3.55 rear end, Godzilla with 10 speed trans.  Love it.  The longer I own it the happier I am with the decision to go back to big-block gas.  Loaded it gets deep into the single digits, but I live pretty high up so all my driving is in the mountains.  Unloaded I can get over 15 if I'm driving nice and going slow, normally I'm close to 14mpg.

Even has 2/3 working mirrors!
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
SCW is a very cool guy.

And he has a skull on the back of his phone...
View Quote

Tire guy's phone.  Mine is much more boring...  Not even a bolt face logo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
sometimes, yeah.  Do you even small town, bro?
View Quote

Born and raised, and still living in one.

Doesn’t mean I just eat $1400 when someone breaks something of mine, and if I broke someone’s $1400 part, I wouldn’t even hesitate to replace it for them.

$1400 is not a trivial amount of money.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#43]
How did the tire company wreck your mirror by changing tires?

I know because the only time I ever went to an oil change place

the oil change guy could not read the book to find my oil filter.

No fucking clue.

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#44]
replace the lens for $140

eta....man those are expensive mirrors....looks like lots of LH out there....guess the RH gets damaged more often.

Do they fold forward and backward?
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Somewhere between these two I think.  I was really hoping it wasn't cracked enough to let water in, but..  It's not like I'm going to be happy with a bunch of glue or calk sealing it up either.

3.55 rear end, Godzilla with 10 speed trans.  Love it.  The longer I own it the happier I am with the decision to go back to big-block gas.  Loaded it gets deep into the single digits, but I live pretty high up so all my driving is in the mountains.  Unloaded I can get over 15 if I'm driving nice and going slow, normally I'm close to 14mpg.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
@SCW

what gears do you have?

To be fair.. i would not care if it was an aftermarket part as long as it matched and id even replace that my self to save them on labor.. But id want the part. 1400 for a side mirrors seems a bit high IMHO.  I would not be a jerk about it but if i went into their shop and fucked up 1400 bucks in rubber they would make me pay for them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Check car-part.com to see if you can find a decent one from a yard.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Check the door real good too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Wait, nobody has said "Lawyer Up! "? Is this GD? Did I open the wrong app?
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure Hondas tend to be interference motors, but it sounds like the crank pulley worked its way off the harmonic balancer and only affected the accessory drive belt. The timing belt shouldn't have anything to do with that particular pulley.

Quoted:

Mirrors don't tend to be water-tight anyway. There's a gasket where the mirror meets the door, but water gets inside mirror housings all the time. Hell, I make a point of spraying water between the mirror glass and mirror housing when I wash my cars. Gotta evict the spiders somehow

Edit: did they say what they hit it on? My money is on the lift post. Super Duties with tow mirrors are a tight fit in most 2-post lifts
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top