Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/15/2022 1:19:33 AM EDT
Is the green tip worth the extra cost? I’ve never gotten gray accuracy out of any that I’ve shot and I’ve read that it shortens barrel life by quite a bit.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:21:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:21:53 AM EDT
[#2]
They seem to be priced the same when I buy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:22:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Not for me because I can't shoot it at most of the ranges around me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:24:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I try not to buy ammo online mostly to support local businesses. Here in town it’s up to a .05 a round difference. The range here doesn’t care because it my property haha
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:27:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I try not to buy ammo online mostly to support local businesses.
View Quote
Seriously?

The price difference between online and local is huge. I want downward price pressure, not supporting local Fudd mark up.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:29:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:30:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Oh hell, I’m guessing this is something I shouldn’t have asked? Too controversial?
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:32:02 AM EDT
[#8]
This is America.  Get both
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:34:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is the green tip worth the extra cost? I’ve never gotten gray accuracy out of any that I’ve shot and I’ve read that it shortens barrel life by quite a bit.
View Quote

Shortens barrel life?  How exactly does that work?

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:36:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Oh hell, I'm guessing this is something I shouldn't have asked? Too controversial?
View Quote

No, not really. It has just come up a lot over the years (or at least it used to).

'Round here, I'd say most folks seem to prefer 55 grain when buying cheap & stacking deep, but that's a lot harder to do these days.

I only buy 55 grain, mainly because my main AR is a retro build with a 1/12 barrel.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:38:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I remember right it requires a higher pressure to keep the Velocity where it should be and something about the steel penetrator causing Concentricity issues that can’t be squished out because the steel doesn’t deform like lead. No idea if that’s right I’m not a physicist or anyone smart really hell I could be remembering it wrong too
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:40:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I buy 55 in bulk due to having several rifles in 1/12, and the green tip would tear up my steel targets too much.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:41:45 AM EDT
[#13]
May depend on brand but I get much better accuracy with Winchester M193 than Winchester M855 from a Noveske 16”
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:43:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Hornady Tap or Gold dots ftw.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:43:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:43:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Deleted due to lack of sarcasm emoji
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:45:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If I remember right it requires a higher pressure to keep the Velocity where it should be and something about the steel penetrator causing Concentricity issues that can’t be squished out because the steel doesn’t deform like lead. No idea if that’s right I’m not a physicist or anyone smart really hell I could be remembering it wrong too
View Quote

Pressure for M855 is in the same range as M193, and it's like 4.8gr (?) penetrator that should never come in contact with the barrel.  M855A1 is harder on barrels and higher pressure, as well as having a more robust penetrator; but is not green-tip.

Other than shooting at someone with polyethylene plates or punching steel helmets at 550m, I'm not sure what it does better than M193.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:47:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Pressure for M855 is in the same range as M193, and it's like 4.8gr (?) penetrator that should never come in contact with the barrel.  M855A1 is harder on barrels and higher pressure, as well as having a more robust penetrator; but is not green-tip.

Other than shooting at someone with polyethylene plates or punching steel helmets at 550m, I'm not sure what it does better than M193.
View Quote

Maybe it was the A1 I was thinking of I’m sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:48:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Green tip is pointless IMO It has shitty pen, mediocre accuracy and bad terminal effects.

With 55 you can also use 77grain otms and have similar trajectories link
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:49:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wrong. The lacquer on the cases that melts in the chamber and caused the bullets to stick and the corrosive steel causes undue barrel wear. Copper doesn't corrode, it just gets a patina, that's why old barrels look green when you look at them with a boreshite.
View Quote

M855 doesn't used lacquered cases.  And cases don't cause barrel wear; because they don't go down the barrel.  You appear to be confusing M855 with Russian ammo, which typically uses lacquered steel cases (hard on extraction and extractors) and copper-washed steel jacketed bullets (harder on barrels because steel is harder than copper).  Steel cases also don't obturate (fancy word to describe expanding against the chamber under pressure) like brass which adds additional extraction issues.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:49:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Green tip is pointless IMO It has shitty pen, mediocre accuracy and bad terminal effects.

With 55 you can also use 77grain otms and have similar trajectories link
View Quote

That I had no idea of with the 77grain thank you
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:51:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I mostly buy, stack, and shoot M193. But variety is the spice of life. I have a couple dozen mags worth of green tip and 64gr Fed Fusion. And a couple thousand rounds of various match grade.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:51:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Seriously?

The price difference between online and local is huge. I want downward price pressure, not supporting local Fudd mark up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I try not to buy ammo online mostly to support local businesses.
Seriously?

The best price in not always the lowest price.

Purchasing 101.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:52:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That I had no idea of with the 77grain thank you
View Quote

IMI ftw.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:54:26 AM EDT
[#25]
ETA: In all seriousness, in my experience the 855 tends to be about half as accurate as 193. I wouldn't use it beyond 100-200 regardless terminal effectiveness.

Quoted:

M855 doesn't used lacquered cases.  And cases don't cause barrel wear; because they don't go down the barrel.  You appear to be confusing M855 with Russian ammo, which typically uses lacquered steel cases (hard on extraction and extractors) and copper-washed steel jacketed bullets (harder on barrels because steel is harder than copper).  Steel cases also don't obturate (fancy word to describe expanding against the chamber under pressure) like brass which adds additional extraction issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong. The lacquer on the cases that melts in the chamber and caused the bullets to stick and the corrosive steel causes undue barrel wear. Copper doesn't corrode, it just gets a patina, that's why old barrels look green when you look at them with a boreshite.

lol
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:54:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

IMI ftw.
View Quote

I have a single box of IMI razor core I think it is I bought by accident I’ll have to get some more
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 2:17:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what I would like to know.

In theory, the 55gr should cause more wear due to the higher velocity, but the difference in wear is likely too small to measure.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Not all 62s are Green Tip.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a couple hundred greenies left from Obama years and they shotgun pattern. I have a case of them from $T years and it’s extremely accurate. I’ve shot 6 different lots of 55s over the years and they’ve all been good accuracy wise. I’d buy 55s from here on out.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:04:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fudd lore
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:11:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Wrong. The lacquer on the cases melts in the chamber and causes the cases to stick and the corrosive steel causes undue barrel wear. Copper doesn't corrode, it just gets a patina, that's why old barrels look green when you look at them with a boreshite.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:33:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy better guns. Chrome lined hammer forged barrels have a purpose.

But really my money is on you will never shoot it enough to make a difference or wear it out.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:36:52 AM EDT
[#33]
All kinds of fuckery going on in here......lacquered cases, barrel ware.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:40:58 AM EDT
[#34]
All of my serious ammo is green tip or ss109.

No worries on my end
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Most of the 5.56 NATO rounds I have are Prvi M855.  They shoot 2 MOA, which is plenty good for my purposes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#36]
In before m193 and m855 1 moa shooters.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:08:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Somehow barrel twist not mentioned, yet.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Get 55 gr, it will penetrate only the first part of the skull and bounce around inside, causing more damage than the 62 gr through and through.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Clearly stabilizing is beyond this thread. Enjoy it for what it is .
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Your barrel is twisted? No wonder you're having issues
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

@Smd226

From the Ammo Oracle:

M855 and M856 are newer rounds developed in the late 1970s by Fabrique Nationale (FN) of Belgium. FN was developing a new 5.56mm belt-fed machine gun they called the "Minimi" (Mini-Machinegun) for entry into the US military's Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW) program. The SAW was to augment, and in many cases replace, the 7.62×51mm M60 made by Saco Defense (now part of the General Dynamics Armament Division). Because there was a lot of resistance to giving up larger, longer-range round of the M60, FN focused on making the SAW perform better at longer ranges than existing 5.56 platforms (i.e., the M16). They did this primarily by developing new bullets: the SS-109 "ball" round and the L-110 tracer.

The SS-109 bullet uses a "compound" core, with a lead base topped by a steel penetrator, all covered in a gilding-metal (copper alloy) jacket. The L-110 tracer bullet has a copper-plated steel jacket and like all tracer bullets, is hollowed out at the base and filled with tracing compound. Both bullets are much longer in length than the earlier 55gr bullets, especially the L-110 tracer, which was designed to trace out to 800m, verses 450m for the older M196 tracer round. Due to their increased length, these bullets require a faster rifling twist to be properly stabilized. The military settled on a twist rate of 1:7, which is a compromise between the 1:9 twist ideal for SS-109 bullets and the 1:6 twist ideal for L-110 tracers.

Remember, the goal of these new bullets was improving long range performance. For example, the SS-109 bullet was proven to have better penetration of the then-current-issue steel helmet at 600m than the M80 "ball" ammo fired by the M60. The M80 ammo was not able to penetrate both sides of the helmet at that distance; the SS-109 bullet could. The L-110 tracers provided a visible trace out to 800m, which was seen as the maximum effective range of the SAW. These improvements in long-range performance satisfied the military and the US ultimately adopted the Minimi as the M249 SAW. They also adopted the new FN bullets and the US specs for the loaded rounds are called M855 and M856.

About the time the SAW was adopted, the M16 "A2 revision" program was underway and it was decided to adopt the new SAW ammo (and its rifling twist) for the M16A2. As older M16A1 1:12 twist barrels were not able to stabilize the longer bullets, the new bullets had to be marked (in countries with older 1:12 rifles) in order to make sure that the new ammo wasn't used in the older rifles. M855 received green painted tips and M856 received orange. M193 is plain and M196 is red.

If you MUST pick one, I would pick M193 since my shots will almost all likely be at < 100 yards, and the majority of my 5.56 is M193.  But I also have a lot of M855/SS109 ammo including Prvi Partisan M855, IMI M855 and Australian ADI SS109 ammo.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#44]
If I need an AR, 193 will work just fine.  855 isn't really a thing.  Any FMJ would and could have stopped the Raleigh shooter in my hood.  One and done, just like the cop who took down a perp psycho at 180+ yards less than a month ago.  855 tears up the steel when I go to the local range that has it so they don't allow it.  If I need 855 or A1 things are REALLY bad.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#45]
What are you shooting at?  In most cases the .55 grain round will do just fine.  Also, some ranges do not like 62gr penatrators.  They chew up steel targets and do more damage to earthen backstops.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
All of my serious ammo is green tip or ss109.

No worries on my end
View Quote

^^^this^^^
I have 77 TMK and my 21" platform for when i wanna reach out and touch someone

H
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Lots of dead guys in far away lands have proven that both are viable. Aside from concerns about barriers, soft points would be my choice, but you should always get both.

Lots of trolling here with a dash of tales from the gun counter.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#49]
I stock both M193 and M855.  A 3/4ths M193 and 1/4th M855.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The best price in not always the lowest price.

Purchasing 101.
View Quote

@xciapup can you teach that to the buyers at my job?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top