Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/29/2022 9:20:57 AM EDT
Does it or would it look suspicious where suddenly your phone was off grid in a 24-48 hour time span? My point is, those people could’ve left their phones behind but they would show up as not in use. Am I right?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does it or would it look suspicious where suddenly your phone was off grid and a 24-48 hour time span? My point is, those people could’ve left their phones behind but they would show up as not in use. Am I right?
View Quote

Without their phone how would they have been able to take pictures and videos of themselves to post on social media?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#2]
i treat my cell phone like its a landline
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Without their phone how would they have been able to take pictures and videos of themselves to post on social media?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does it or would it look suspicious where suddenly your phone was off grid and a 24-48 hour time span? My point is, those people could’ve left their phones behind but they would show up as not in use. Am I right?

Lol

They were looking for attention and got it?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does it or would it look suspicious where suddenly your phone was off grid in a 24-48 hour time span? My point is, those people could've left their phones behind but they would show up as not in use. Am I right?
View Quote
Not that I would ever attend such a threat on our democracy event but I keep a faraday phone pouch with me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i treat my cell phone like its a landline
View Quote

I think you’re on to something.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Person of Interest was more accurate in a lot of ways than it probably appeared at first glance.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#7]
people don't think SIGINT be like it is, but it do.

Phones are a tracking device. Even with your aluminum foil pouches.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which begs the question, do faraday cage is actually work. Can your phone internally track where you’re going and movement? Then again, my conspiracy mind may be hitting peak. I’m getting ready to hit the gym and maybe that’s what I need.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I have no doubt it'd be used against you in court. We need one of those mouse jigglers for phones.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Who was the guy on Rogan that went into detail about how much tracking your cell phone does?
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
If they go through that level of Tony Stark tech they will get what they are after regardless lol. I have tried reaching my phone via text, calling and wifi and none work while in the bag so I am not sure what they can do but I am sure it exists.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Apple better than android for secure comms

Airplane mode + power off

Don’t become involved with the 3 s.

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Just leave your phone on and at home.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Phones are tracking devices, and when you turn off location, it only turns it off for you.  If a phone is close enough to a cell tower to be detected, it can be tracked even if it is turned off.

With Starlink, it will soon be impossible to evade tracking anywhere in the world.  They could have starlinks satellites send out a ping specific to your phone and find it anywhere.

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Which begs the question, do faraday cage is actually work. Can your phone internally track where you're going and movement? Then again, my conspiracy mind may be hitting peak. I'm getting ready to hit the gym and maybe that's what I need.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which begs the question, do faraday cage is actually work. Can your phone internally track where you're going and movement? Then again, my conspiracy mind may be hitting peak. I'm getting ready to hit the gym and maybe that's what I need.
If the dogs of .gov are on your scent, leaving your phone off grid or blacked out might make their job harder, but hardly impossible. They know when it stopped moving, and when it started moving again so they have two data points of where you were and at what times. With that they can scour other surveillance and start to establish a timeline for the inbetween.

Got your photo snapped without your covid mask on J6 and liberal Karen neighbor recognizes you, doesn't matter if you still don't have your tracker phone with you. What about transportation? Did you use a bus and pull down your covid mask to take a drink and camera got you. Did you take your car and get picked up by traffic cameras on the interstate?  
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Answered my own question. Worth a watch:
Algorithms, Privacy, and Outrage
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#17]
the Feds used geo-fence warrants to find all the phones in the area. on top of that some banks gave them (willingly, and without warrants) transaction activity info for all their customers in the area also
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Who was the guy on Rogan that went into detail about how much tracking your cell phone does?
View Quote

And listening when desired
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have no doubt it'd be used against you in court. We need one of those mouse jigglers for phones.
View Quote
Keeps my work computer from locking.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Leave your phone at home
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
It will be used as parallel construction to launch an illegal and illegitimate investigation (not criminal, foreign intelligence so they don't have to close it due to no evidence) and then when the time comes they'll pretend to find some tax evasion or tearing tags off mattress to hold you as a political prisoner.  While letting actual terrorists go free because they are the communists favorite protected class.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Strapped to your dog with arfcom open
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If they go through that level of Tony Stark tech they will get what they are after regardless lol. I have tried reaching my phone via text, calling and wifi and none work while in the bag so I am not sure what they can do but I am sure it exists.
View Quote
Accelerometer in the phone is precise enough to track you with two end points to work with. Remember those games where you walk around the room and move the phone, or tilt it?  My iPhone has a fairly accurate compass app on it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If the dogs of .gov are on your scent, leaving your phone off grid or blacked out might make their job harder, but hardly impossible. They know when it stopped moving, and when it started moving again so they have two data points of where you were and at what times. With that they can scour other surveillance and start to establish a timeline for the inbetween.

Got your photo snapped without your covid mask on J6 and liberal Karen neighbor recognizes you, doesn't matter if you still don't have your tracker phone with you. What about transportation? Did you use a bus and pull down your covid mask to take a drink and camera got you. Did you take your car and get picked up by traffic cameras on the interstate?  
View Quote

There are a ton of variables to consider if you're attempting to move with no signature. Good luck. The surveillance state is here.

The mere act of leaving your phone at home isn't enough. You have long established patterns that have been collected as various forms of data. A disruption of those patterns... is also a data point that will be keyed in on and evaluated.

It would be a glaring anomaly in the baseline.

Use of cash... avoidance of cameras... your vehicle probably has location data.

There are so many variables to consider when attempting to move with reduced or zero signature in this current environment.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#25]
After two decades of smoking cavemen stupid enough to use cell and sat phones with UAV's it's hard to take Uhmerican's who can't disconnect from their social contract seriously.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#26]
The cell phone geolocation was just parallel construction.   They knew who was there from their illegal spying on your phone, TV, microwave, car, emails, secure texting apps, etc.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Seemed pretty obvious when pretty much all companies stopped using removable batteries all at once that something was up.

Also when commercial fishing we would turn our phones off (no service anyway) Our older flip phones turned back on full battery. When we got free upgraded to new "smart phones" they were damn near dead after several days.  At first you think wtf what a POS until the light bulb goes off..... Power off means the screen is off and nothing else.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did the information hit your phone after you removed it from the bag?

Here's an experiment... attempt to send an email and text from your phone in the faraday bag...

Then after a few hours, remove the phone and see what happens.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Strapped to your dog with arfcom open
View Quote
Youtube set to autoplay.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Does it or would it look suspicious where suddenly your phone was off grid in a 24-48 hour time span? My point is, those people could’ve left their phones behind but they would show up as not in use. Am I right?
View Quote

This is the issue with folks over-simplifying burners; if there is a pattern of phone 'a' being online 99% of the time, but when it's not, phone 'b' comes online (and only when 'a' is offline) that's an easy pattern for AI to catch.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
the Feds used geo-fence warrants to find all the phones in the area. on top of that some banks gave them (willingly, and without warrants) transaction activity info for all their customers in the area also
View Quote

This should be illegal. Especially with banks being quasi government agencies and no one really understanding that. It’s a cute way for them to violate the 4th amendment.

Along with all the “suspicious transaction” reporting the banks do. The IRS should need to get a warrant.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

It will all depend on your usage pattern....but one or two days off is not that unusual for many.

When I would take vacation back in the day and go back home I would unplug 100% from computers to cell phones.

A person could leave their phone back at home plugged in the charger turned on or even one of those battery bank connections.

I know a few people that are pretty much glued to their phone with data feeds....

Odd question: Faraday Cage, do they work?  Yep

Your best bet is to leave those tracking devices home / electronic devices home to include anything with a license plate attached to your name.

Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Assume they got our phones, assume they got our houses, assume they got us, right here, right now as we sit, everything. Assume it all.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Leave the phone at home frequently, to set precedent.
Leave it for the trip, use cash, use a mask with structure, put a small rock in your shoe, drive a vehicle with no tracking, loose fitting clothes and reflective sunglasses.
If photo or video is needed take a dedicated camera.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Just leave it home plugged in.  Why is everyone so worried about whether or not the phone is moving?

My phone stays on a shelf plugged in, it just sits there until I need to make a call and when I am done it goes back on the shelf.  It doesnt move much at all.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Did the information hit your phone after you removed it from the bag?

Here's an experiment... attempt to send an email and text from your phone in the faraday bag...

Then after a few hours, remove the phone and see what happens.
View Quote

I did not get that involved lol. That would mean I would be separated from my phone for a few hours. I have not done that in at least 10 years.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

If the signal is blocked, it's blocked.  The only real question is how effective a given pouch is.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There are a ton of variables to consider if you're attempting to move with no signature. Good luck. The surveillance state is here.

The mere act of leaving your phone at home isn't enough. You have long established patterns that have been collected as various forms of data. A disruption of those patterns... is also a data point that will be keyed in on and evaluated.

There are so many variables to consider when attempting to move with reduced or zero signature in this current environment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The lesson to take from this is that, at a minimum, you should practice leaving your phone plugged in on your desk and not carry it with you for hours or days on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holy shit, why didn't I think of that!
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#40]
It only works for incriminating white extremists. Inadequate for Leftist mules stealing elections
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not that I would ever attend such a threat on our democracy event but I keep a faraday phone pouch with me.
View Quote

Won’t matter a lot. Eventually you reconnect to the cell network ms accelerometer data will put you in the area anyway. It’s that good.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Accelerometer in the phone is precise enough to track you with two end points to work with. Remember those games where you walk around the room and move the phone, or tilt it?  My iPhone has a fairly accurate compass app on it.
View Quote

That accelerometer data will pair nicely with road mapping-even if it is off a few percent, enough inference is made to place you at a landmark and more depending on how much movement from known locations like intersections, building entrances etc. you phone will record the movement of walking up steps, down the hallways etc, they’d absolutely have your ass dead to rights even if you cut your GPS antenna.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It only works for incriminating white extremists. Inadequate for Leftist mules stealing elections
View Quote

Wow, that sounds like a good plot for a movie.  Or, a documentary.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Assume they got our phones, assume they got our houses, assume they got us, right here, right now as we sit, everything. Assume it all.
View Quote

Insert Captain America understood that reference meme here.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#45]
I have told this story before, but it bares repeating. There was an episode of the first 48 where a murder suspect had someone take his phone 120 miles away from Tulsa to OKC on the day of the murder, to throw detectives off his tracks. His alibi was he was getting his daughter from OKC.They figured out he wasn't with his phone somehow. I don't recall how.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Given the exponentially increasing number of cameras everywhere, including small town America, I'm not sure how much it's going to help anymore, short of not having a voice recorder in your pocket.  I leave mine at home a lot and I have a Faraday bag, but unless I buy a secondhand bicycle and start wearing a mask and hoodie everywhere I don't see many ways of avoiding tracking if TPTB want to expend some resources- and it doesn't seem to take much anymore with all of the available software out there these days.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does it or would it look suspicious where suddenly your phone was off grid in a 24-48 hour time span? My point is, those people could've left their phones behind but they would show up as not in use. Am I right?

Kind of tough to take a pic or video from a faraday bag.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Which begs the question, do faraday cage is actually work. Can your phone internally track where you’re going and movement? Then again, my conspiracy mind may be hitting peak. I’m getting ready to hit the gym and maybe that’s what I need.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it’s a proper Faraday bag then your phone can’t talk to the tower and it can’t get a gps signal. So no, it doesn’t know where it is.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Person of Interest was more accurate in a lot of ways than it probably appeared at first glance.
View Quote

Person of Interest was a WARNING.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  In the basement, with Netflix on loop.  

The FBI computers doing pattern assessment will see that combined with your ARFcom activity and conclude that everything is on the level.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top