BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2023 5:11:35 AM EDT
As the title says

The other week I was grocery shopping and saw an old
lady in a c4 Corvette from the late 80s. She was peeking over the steering wheel and had big, curly, old lady hair.
Big sunglasses. She reminded me of my grandma, ashing into a mustard jar. A certain je ne sais quoi of oldsters from yesteryear. A combo of grace, stubbornness, and acceptance of their age. Perhaps their place in society.

These days I don't notice nearly as many oldsters like that. So where are all the old people that I remember?
Are they just still out pretending they're youngsters?
Much better financially and hip with it, so they have camo?

Vote in the poll
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#1]
One is young with the beauty of youth one is old and ugly

What do you think? Yes old people still look old. Don’t be fools by make up and filters

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:32:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What do you think? Yes old people still look old. Don’t be fools by make up and filters

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/398238/5FB2E9C4-9647-4B5B-B848-81239C397FAD_jpe-2727154.JPG
View Quote

I don't mean the sagging of the skin, the very natural effects of aging (that many try to thwart, in vain)

I mean how they carry themselves, act, and dress.
It seems a lot are basically doing all of those the same as if they were 50 or even in their 40s.

And I enjoy your posts Pesty, particularly the ones in my bri'ish family thread, but please spare us the memes about Hillary Clinton's blown out felony murder pussy ??
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I think it depends where you live.

I notice a lot of "old" 60-somethings in rural areas.  

By and large, I think there's validity to the "miles, not the years" argument.

But yeah, there are.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think it depends where you live.

I notice a lot of "old" 60-somethings in rural areas.  

But yeah, there are.
View Quote

/this

Working for the Navy and later the military as a civilian I've lived in major cities. Upon retirement I bailed to the country and concur with your observation.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As the title says

lady in a c4 Corvette from the late 80s. She was peeking over the steering wheel and had big, curly, old lady hair.
Big sunglasses. She reminded me of my grandma, ashing into a mustard jar. A certain je ne sais quoi of oldsters from yesteryear. A combo of grace, stubbornness, and acceptance of their age. Perhaps their place in society.

These days I don't notice nearly as many oldsters like that. So where are all the old people that I remember?

Vote in the poll
View Quote

Because as you get older the old people you see die off? Just a guess.

When I was growing up my church was filled with old people. Now there are only a couple left. Where'd they all go?
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been retired for approaching two years and came to a realization about a year ago.

I have been fulfilling and living the dreams I had as a 16-21 year old kid.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 8:02:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#8]
My mother-in-law is 82 and in assisted living.  She looks old to me (61 yr old).

However, some 60yr olds look good to me.  20 yr olds look like children and have no brain.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#9]
It seems people didn't fight being old 30 years ago. Now with all the face creams, hair dye, gyms and shit people are keeping themselves younger looking.  In the 80s people in the 60s looked, dressed and acted like grand parents... Now people in the 60s are out jogging, riding bikes and wearing the same clothes as people in their 30s it seems.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I few of my peers look like they are pushing 60 already, some of it is genetics, some of it is lifestyle.

Two things that age you rapidly are the sun and smoking....and people used to get a lot more of both.

I was looking at pictures from college the other day....we were just babies....and I didn't have a WTF wrinkle.

At the same time though, I ran into a girl I hadn't seen in almost 20 years last year and she freaked out. She ran up, hugged me, and said "OH MY GOD....you look exactly the same!"

So even though I know that's not true, the sunscreen might actually be helping a bit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 8:38:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

People that have taken care of themselves usually fair better. Went to my 40th HS reunion recently. Knowing that group of people as I do I could have told you years ago who would be in electric scooters and who could pass for their own kids older sibling.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#12]
The older you get, the fewer old people you see. Funny that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Oldsters' need to drink more water...so they can hydrate from holding back the harmful effects of aging --- Including the the use of products like water based skin creams like Aquaphor healing ointment.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Years of being told "Killer virus everywhere! 65+ going to die!" drove a lot of seniors into isolation. They haven't come back in to society at large.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#16]
My Dad is 81 in this picture, he's 82 now.  

Living right and exercise.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Hospitals call their property's campuses nowadays and the campus is loaded with them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#18]
More hair die in the 50+ segment of the population than when I was a kid in the 90's, I do believe.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Boomers are staying young by consuming the essence of millennials who cant afford anything.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#20]
People my age look old to me
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
More hair die in the 50+ segment of the population than when I was a kid in the 90's, I do believe.

View Quote

Half the 50+ guys I know shave their head.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#22]
People in the 50s and 60s that were 30 looked like they were in their 40s or older

I pass as 40s and I am 54

People look younger because no one smokes camel non filter and drinks a 5th of Scotch a day
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Oldsters' need to drink more water...so they can hydrate from holding back the harmful effects of aging --- Including the the use of products like water based skin creams like Aquaphor healing ointment.
View Quote

Hydration is important at all ages but seniors are probably more prone to being slightly dehydrated, I know I'm bad about not drinking enough water.

One slight correction to your post, Aquaphor is petroleum jelly based, it's basically just hopped up Vaseline with practically no water in it at all.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have fabulous hair, no need to dye it either.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#25]
There are still many old people who look old. (I live in God's waiting room, trust me on this.)
However, there are a lot more people who look "good/great for their age."
I think it's a combination of many people taking better care of themselves (not smoking, eating right, exercising, etc)
and the fact that cosmetic surgery is a lot cheaper/more common than it used to be.

When watching older movies, I am constantly surprised by how "old looking" actors and actresses my age are.
In my mid-50's, I look like a 70's actor in their early 40's.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:It seems people didn't fight being old 30 years ago.
View Quote

Mom was an Avon lady in the 1970s and lots (LOTS) of the lotions and potions were anti-age back then.

Mom was 86 when she passed and still had a pretty youthful looking face having used Ponds cold cream her whole life.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Disagree. Perhaps women are dyeing their hair more, but men sure aren't.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/398238/5FB2E9C4-9647-4B5B-B848-81239C397FAD_jpe-2727154.JPG
View Quote
FIFY

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Iam 64 and imo I look that age. It is what it is. I smoke and drink lots of coffee because I like to. Will it kill me, sure. The old saying 'he died doing what he loves' applies. shrug.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Boomers are staying young by consuming the essence of millennials who cant afford anything.
View Quote

Hey $20 is $20 and with Biden inflation in year two of double digits things are tough.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#31]
It's pretty crazy to see and hear dudes like William Shatner in his 90s still living it up.  Someone's gotta study him.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#32]
My dad is 66 and doesn't look (or act) like I remember 66 year olds looking when I was younger. I'm knocking on the door of 40 and don't look (or act ) like I remember. I think that's not so much due to reality, as it is a sliding scale of a persons perspective.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Many old people look much less old than they did a couple decades ago.

Less cigarettes and sun exposure go a long ways.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I few of my peers look like they are pushing 60 already, some of it is genetics, some of it is lifestyle.

Two things that age you rapidly are the sun and smoking....and people used to get a lot more of both.

I was looking at pictures from college the other day....we were just babies....and I didn't have a WTF wrinkle.

At the same time though, I ran into a girl I hadn't seen in almost 20 years last year and she freaked out. She ran up, hugged me, and said "OH MY GOD....you look exactly the same!"

So even though I know that's not true, the sunscreen might actually be helping a bit.
View Quote
It is true that if you stay out of the sun you won't look old.

But only because you will not live as long.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#36]
The older I get the less old people look.

It's relative, I think.
When I was 18 a 24 year old female was "too old"
At 56 I wouldn't think that.

She is 41 to someone 20-30 she may look old.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Iam 64 and imo I look that age. It is what it is. I smoke and drink lots of coffee because I like to. Will it kill me, sure. The old saying 'he died doing what he loves' applies. shrug.
View Quote

Right there with you. As a widower, I'm getting approached by those old women of 50 plus now. Everyone ages. Embrace it.

Bothers women more though. My wife was in an accident in 2019. In a witness statement, she was described as * Elderly female driver in Lincoln *. That hurt her worse than the accident did.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Half the 50+ guys I know shave their head.
View Quote

Quoted:

I have fabulous hair, no need to dye it either.
View Quote

Quoted:

Disagree. Perhaps women are dyeing their hair more, but men sure aren't.
View Quote

I had women in mind when I posted, but I didn't clarify
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Uppity Boomers should know their place and stay in it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#40]
When I began going to my country club’s fitness center (Florida) I was blown away by the number of 60+ year old ladies who have kept their figures.  I go to the gym 7 days a week and keep seeing the same faces every time I am there.  Some even go from one class into another, so at least 2 hrs of exercise a day.

Maybe it’s a self selecting group of trophy wives, but coming from the land of uggos (Seattle), the scenery is appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

yep decrease in smoking and increase use of sunscreen over the last 50 years has made a marked difference in appearance. Obviously genetics are genetics and some people are always going to younger or older than they are but skin-wise we are healthier than in the past.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#42]
What you're talking about is class and no you don't see that as much in people today regardless off age. Our society is rapidly sliding into the abyss respect and manners have basically disappeared.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Depends on how much meth they been tweaking. There’s 20-30 year olds out there looking 60-70 already.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
As the title says

Vote in the poll
View Quote

Maybe now, after all this time, you're the oldster and are just fitting in, yet don't picture yourself as the oldster, thus aren't seeing the others?

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Is water wet?
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My Dad is 81 in this picture, he's 82 now.  

Living right and exercise.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57471/5A19EE09-12E2-443A-87FD-1F643AA1380E_jpe-2727226.JPG
View Quote

Your Dad looks great.  Looks happy as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Olden women are dressing sexy AF these days...I see a ton of hot gilfs at the lowe's.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Olden women are dressing sexy AF these days...I see a ton of hot gilfs at the lowe's.

View Quote

Employees?
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm working on it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Well I never had much fashion sense and I don’t see that improving any as my give a damn meter goes down more. But I’ll wear army boots and green socks with my white cargo shorts next to a yellow Corvette if I have my way. ;-)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top