Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/13/2023 3:03:53 PM EDT
Figured I'd share my experience with semaglutide.

Today marks about 30 days since I started.

TL;DR: Lost about 20lbs and 3" of waist circumference. I got it from a telemedicine service and pay $250-450/month for the generic compounded drug. Side effects were pretty mild so far (diarrhea/indigestion).

Used a service called Ivim Health. Telemedicine-only company that specializes in weight loss. They do seem a little bit "pill-mill" like, but they are at least board-certified doctors/NPs. I'm not necessarily recommending them, that just happens to be who I use.

Process: Filled out a questionaire, booked an online telemedicine appointment for about 3 days later. Talked to the NP for 15-20 minutes or so. They told me I was a candidate and asked if I wanted to try it. They give you generic lab-compounded if you're paying cash (which I am), and the name-brand stuff if your insurance will cover it. For the generic, the first 3 Months = $750. Every other month = $425 (because you take more of the drug). You don't pay them anything for the appointments, all the costs are rolled into the price of the drug.

You get titrated up from .25Mg to 2.5Mg to help prevent side effects. Week 1 - 4 is .25Mg, 4-8 is .5Mg, 8-12 is 1Mg, and 12+ is 2.5Mg (the full "maintenance" dose).

If you use the generic, you just draw it out of a vial and inject it into some belly fat. You can get the tiny 31g insulin needles, which you can barely feel. The name-brand stuff has the fancy auto injector pen.

I'm 35 and 5'10 - Each weigh in was taken with 2 digital scales (I don't trust the crappy Wal-Mart scales I have)
Day 0: 268lbs
Day 7: 262lbs
Day 14: 257
Day 21: 254
Day 28: 249
Day 35: 245
Day 42: 241

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#1]
So, almost 20lbs of weight and 3" inches of waist circumference, granted a good chunk is probably "water weight." That seems impressive for only the first month, though everybody responds differently.

Eating
I didn't make any real conscious effort to change my (obviously crappy) diet. The only exception is I tried to make sure I ate at least 100G of protein per day, I failed a lot of the time. For me, anyway, this stuff really works at curbing my apetite, even at the very low dose. For example, I remember a week after my first dose I heated up a bowl of canned chili (maybe 3/4 of a can). About halfway through it, I felt overwhelmingly full. Normally I could eat the whole bowl of chili and then have a bowl of cereal 15 minutes later. No way in hell I could do that with this stuff.

Side Effects
Diarrhea on 2 different days. Not too bad.

All in all, I'm happy with it so far. From what the NP told me, at 5'10 and 260ish, I might have qualified to have my insurance cover it, but I have a high deductible plan, and I'd rather just pay cash and not worry about that BS.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Greetings fellow firearms enthusiast.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting first post.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#4]
You could just not eat as much. Rather than pay $2500 per year, you’d save money and probably live longer to enjoy the money you saved.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife is on it to lower her A1C..she is 5'4" and went from 140 to 120 in 3 months..I call her face The O face now as she looks so gaunt...considering she still has DDD's..that weight loss in impressive
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#7]
the shit people do to avoid eating healthy and exercising.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting first post.
View Quote

*17th post

too bad this stuff is for morbidly obese people, they need to make one tailored for the gym bro that needs to drop another ~5%-10% body fat to get visible abs.  I'm a buyer for that lol
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
They're going to make billions off of this. Users either have to learn to control their eating naturally, or else use wegovy for their entire life.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

*17th post

too bad this stuff is for morbidly obese people, they need to make one tailored for the gym bro that needs to drop another ~5%-10% body fat to get visible abs.  I'm a buyer for that lol
View Quote

it works well for that too

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I should start a service where people pay me to wear a body camera and I yell at them when they eat crap food and sit on their ass.

I should probably outsource the yelling to a drill instructor for maximum impact..
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They're going to make billions off of this. Users either have to learn to control their eating naturally, or else use wegovy for their entire life.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting down to a healthy weight and learning a healthy lifestyle, then weaning off, is the intent. You also have to break the addiction to food and resolve any underlying psychological issues, or it will come right back.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like losing muscle and bone. Getting lighter but getting fatter.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is further reading.

Article

However, from the information we can scrape together based on sub-cohort data, these “miracle drugs” start to look a bit less miraculous. In 2021’s STEP 1 trial – the first trial demonstrating the efficacy of semaglutide as a treatment for adult obesity – a subset of 140 patients underwent DEXA scans for body composition analysis. Among these patients, lean mass accounted for approximately 39% of total weight loss – substantially higher than ideal. In a substudy of 178 patients from the SUSTAIN 8 trial on semaglutide as a diabetes treatment, the average proportion of lean mass loss was nearly identical at 40%, despite lower doses and less total weight loss than in the STEP 1 trial.
View Quote

As we’ve seen time and again, there are no such things as “miracle drugs,” and GLP-1 agonists are no exception to this rule. While they may have value for certain individuals, these medications come with downsides beyond their hefty price tag, and both physicians and patients ought to exercise extreme caution and discretion in determining whether they are truly the right choice for weight management.
View Quote

When we take body composition into factor, these people are getting lighter, but they're getting fatter.
View Quote

Dr Peter Attia, a physician based in Austin, Texas, warned the drugs were not a 'panacea' for weight loss — despite taking Hollywood by storm.

He said that they prompted equal muscle-to-fat loss in patients, which he argued made them metabolically 'fatter' because they then had a higher fat-to-muscle percentage.
View Quote

Dr Attia giving a talk on it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Right? My fear is that if this catches on, we won’t know who the fat people are anymore and it’ll be harder to avoid them.

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yepp, I'm sure you're perfect and nothing is wrong in your life. Everything about you is 100% as good as it could be..... but only when you're posting anonymously on the internet of course, lol.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I started walking 4.5 mi per day and eating more sensibly.  About 1500 cal.  Exercise is worth about 500 cal and gives me a cushion for being inexact on eating.  10 lbs. in 30 days.  188 to 178.  Going to see about 168.  5’11
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Like losing muscle and bone. Getting lighter but getting fatter.
View Quote

I'm assuming those people didn't add strength training/diet and just relied on the drug to curb appetite
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Getting down to a healthy weight and learning a healthy lifestyle, then weaning off, is the intent. You also have to break the addiction to food and resolve any underlying psychological issues, or it will come right back.

Kharn
View Quote
I agree, but the data already shows that most people that discontinue use fail at that, and big pharma's counting on it. IIRC they're already telling users that they need to continue to take it, which isn't technically true, but it is statistically true. I'm glad it exists as an option of last resort, but it really should be an option of last resort.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You could just not eat as much. Rather than pay $2500 per year, you’d save money and probably live longer to enjoy the money you saved.
View Quote

that's really the way I would try to go.
from what I have been seeing people need to stay on the drug.
Behavioral modification seems more effective and far less expensive.

Easiest for me is just waiting as long as I can in the day till I actually feel hungry for more than a moment. Often make it all the way till dinner, sometimes a light afternoon snack to get me there and then I eat whatever the fuck I want and often follow up with a nice scoop of icecream.

I'm 6'2 187 lbs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My wife is on it to lower her A1C..she is 5'4" and went from 140 to 120 in 3 months..I call her face The O face now as she looks so gaunt...considering she still has DDD's..that weight loss in impressive
View Quote
My wife did some fasting over three months years ago to go from 150-120lbs.

It was her high school reunion and she wore a pair of jeans from her high school days.

She does keto to keep her 118-120lb weight.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here is further reading.

Article
Dr Attia giving a talk on it.
View Quote

That certainly hasn't been a noticeable problem for me, though I life heavy a few times per week. I can squat the same 425x5 that I could before I lost 20lbs. I've also lost a commensurate amount of waist circumference, which is indicative of fat loss, not muscle loss. Would the effects be the same on a completely sedentary person that doesn't move from their couch? I'm not sure.

I simply refuse to believe that my body will store 80+ lbs of fat that it thinks it might need for a period of starvation, and then when the period of starvation comes, it uses my muscle tissue to fuel itself, the same muscle tissue I might need to "kill the mammoth for dinner."

For me, and my admitted short-term experience with it, anyway, you could not argue that I'm less healthy than I was before I took it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Ozempic and other drugs like it are for Type 2 Diabetes.    It just so happens that they aid in weight loss.  So much so that there is a shortage of the medications.  The medications are prescribed like candy to those that want to use it for weight loss.  My wife has Type 2 Diabetes, and has had to miss dosses due to the local pharmacies being out.   She has to shop the pharmacies to see which one has inventory so her prescription can be filled.   While I hope the OP meets your weight loss goals.  I am sure the OP can understand I will not have any sympathy for you if and when you get all the side effects of the drug.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

*17th post

View Quote
This

I am 170 and need to cut 1-2 inches off my waist.

wear 32" waist jeans but want my abs back, just can't work enough for the last bit.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That would be an over dose of Ozempic.

View Quote

What? Ozempic is usually 1-2Mg per week. Wegovy (same drug, different trade name) is typically 2.4Mg / week once you've gone through the "introductory" period.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#27]
This will blow up in y'all's (fat people's) faces eventually.  Nothing in life is free.  We'll just have a bunch of no muscle tone, skinny fat time bombs walking around feeling good until their strokes/heart attacks kill or cripple them.

"We don't know what happened?  She was so thin!"

a 300lb woman or 400lb man in a 120lb or 185lb body is still a weak, out of shape, unhealthy person.  

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yepp, I'm sure you're perfect and nothing is wrong in your life. Everything about you is 100% as good as it could be..... but only when you're posting anonymously on the internet of course, lol.
View Quote

Nobody's perfect, but self control is a lot cheaper.
You'll lose total body mass, not just fat.
Your in the early stages now, water weight and fluff.
Once the fat is mostly gone your body will start eating the more important parts of itself.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ozempic and other drugs like it are for Type 2 Diabetes.    It just so happens that they aid in weight loss.  So much so that there is a shortage of the medications.  The medications are prescribed like candy to those that want to use it for weight loss.  My wife has Type 2 Diabetes, and has had to miss dosses due to the local pharmacies being out.   She has to shop the pharmacies to see which one has inventory so her prescription can be filled.   While I hope the OP meets your weight loss goals.  I am sure the OP can understand I will not have any sympathy for you if and when you get all the side effects of the drug.
View Quote

I wasn't asking for any sympathy, guy. I was simply sharing my experience.

I find it hilarious, though, that people with diabetes (most of them fat) are complaining about other fat people for buying "their" drug. But actually, I didn't buy "their" drug, because I got a generic from a compounding pharmacy, while most diabetics are getting name brand, since insurance typically won't cover the generic.

I paid for the stuff just like everybody else. Care to make me a list of other stuff I shouldn't buy because it might inconvenience you?

By the way, non-diabetics have to subsidize the health care costs of diabetics via their insurance premiums, just so you're aware.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You're losing total body mass, not just fat.
View Quote

And yet I'm much stronger (probably richer) than you are.

How come you're not a billionaire that can deadlift 800lbs with a 30" waist? Why don't you get some self control? It's free after all.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

How come you're not a billionaire that can deadlift 800lbs with a 30" waist? Why don't you get some self control? It's free after all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ooook, time to go back to Reddit/4chan, mr macho man
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rich guy? Your salt is showing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You get tit rated
View Quote

You can do that here for free.  Post pics and we'll respond with pictures of various wooden things.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not stronger in the willpower department, apparently.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Figured I'd share my experience with semaglutide.

Today marks about 30 days since I started.

TL;DR: Lost about 20lbs and 3" of waist circumference. I got it from a telemedicine service and pay $250-450/month for the generic compounded drug. Side effects were pretty mild so far (diarrhea/indigestion).

Used a service called Ivim Health. Telemedicine-only company that specializes in weight loss. They do seem a little bit "pill-mill" like, but they are at least board-certified doctors/NPs. I'm not necessarily recommending them, that just happens to be who I use.

Process: Filled out a questionaire, booked an online telemedicine appointment for about 3 days later. Talked to the NP for 15-20 minutes or so. They told me I was a candidate and asked if I wanted to try it. They give you generic lab-compounded if you're paying cash (which I am), and the name-brand stuff if your insurance will cover it. For the generic, the first 3 Months = $750. Every other month = $425 (because you take more of the drug). You don't pay them anything for the appointments, all the costs are rolled into the price of the drug.

You get titrated up from .25Mg to 2.5Mg to help prevent side effects. Week 1 - 4 is .25Mg, 4-8 is .5Mg, 8-12 is 1Mg, and 12+ is 2.5Mg (the full "maintenance" dose).

If you use the generic, you just draw it out of a vial and inject it into some belly fat. You can get the tiny 31g insulin needles, which you can barely feel. The name-brand stuff has the fancy auto injector pen.

I'm 35 and 5'10 - Each weigh in was taken with 2 digital scales (I don't trust the crappy Wal-Mart scales I have)
Day 0: 268lbs
Day 7: 262lbs
Day 14: 257
Day 21: 254
Day 28: 249

"Ozempic requires you to increase dosage by two milligrams up to a max of eight milligrams, while Wegovy can only go up to a maximum of 2.4 milligrams on a weekly basis."

Wegovy is for weight loss, Ozempic is for diabetes.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not stronger in the willpower department, apparently.
View Quote

Okay, so then why aren't you a billionaire? Why don't you have a supermodel girlfriend? What? Do you lack willpower or something?

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Okay, so then why aren't you a billionaire? Why don't you have a supermodel girlfriend? What? Do you lack willpower or something?
View Quote

How do you know he doesn't?
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

*17th post

View Quote

This stuff is available online as a research chemical (semaglutide) if you're in to that sort of thing, which some gym bros are.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I paid for the stuff just like everybody else. Care to make me a list of other stuff I shouldn't buy because it might inconvenience you?

View Quote

I don’t like it when the store is out of eggs.  Do you buy eggs?
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn, too late to make it in before all the “hUr dUr nO wILlpOwEr” crowd showed up.

OP. Good on you for taking charge of your health.

Hopefully this springboards you to making and maintaining healthier lifestyle choices.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:47:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*17th post

the data doesn't indicate that.  I'm not giving up 40% of my gains in exchange for visible abs.  I want a product where I give up NO lean mass.... I mean, a product that isn't Clen, Tren, & Test, cuz I also like being able to get erections.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Damn, too late to make it in before all the “hUr dUr nO wILlpOwEr” crowd showed up.

Hopefully this springboards you to making and maintaining healthier lifestyle choices.
View Quote

The first step towards better lifestyle choices rarely involves injecting unnecessary things into your body...
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Will power is a huge part of it though. Many just want the magic easy button and still want to eat like shit and not exercize.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

the data doesn't indicate that.  I'm not giving up 40% of my gains in exchange for visible abs.  I want a product where I give up NO lean mass.... I mean, a product that isn't Clen, Tren, & Test, cuz I also like being able to get erections.
View Quote

exercise.
You must not know anything about PED's and clearly never been on a hefty dose of Test/Tren.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The first step towards better lifestyle choices rarely involves injecting unnecessary things into your body...
View Quote

Oh yeah?  Tell that to Rich Piana.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

exercise.
You must not know anything about PED's and clearly never been on a hefty dose of Test/Tren.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

exercise.

I don't think you read my comment correctly.

I mean I want a product that will drop 10% body fat, without losing lean mass (aka: gear); that also ISN'T gear - because I like to fuck.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don't think you read my comment correctly.

I mean I want a product that will drop 10% body fat, without losing lean mass (aka: gear); that also ISN'T gear - because I like to fuck.
View Quote

I have watched some videos put out by a guy named Derek, he says you need to eat chicken breasts and broccoli.  That’s what all the Hollywood action stars do.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who gives a shit.

This is like the “learn to shoot with irons before using red dots” arguments.

No. You can, in fact, be a competent shooter with irons even if you learn on red dots first.

All this complaining about people using modern tools available to them to get on a path to being healthier reeks of virtue signaling.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

*17th post

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting first post.

*17th post

I know a couple of folks who have done it. You just aren’t asking the right people.

It will take a few months though and I understand that the acid reflux and stomach upset might not be worth it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Who gives a shit.
This is like the “learn to shoot with irons before using red dots” arguments.
No. You can, in fact, be a competent shooter with irons even if you learn on red dots first.
All this complaining about people using modern tools available to them to get on a path to being healthier reeks of virtue signaling.
View Quote

20lb of fluff didn't make OP unhealthy.
What are the chances OP hits his weight goal using this "tool", discontinues use (since he's not diabetic and doesn't "need" it consistently) and then maintains that weight by making good choices?
Possible? Sure
Probable? Statically, no way.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top