Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2023 12:43:31 PM EDT
First off, I'm not a super fan of EV.  They are not the end all be all and thinking all vehicles should be electric is retarded.  The technology is amazing, they're fast as shit, and preform way better than other cars, but they suck ass for any highway distance travel, and charging sucks, and they're pretty bland on the interior.

Got my daughter a 2022 4Runner TRD Pro.   Great vehicle, but had the sticker upcharge.  I was looking at vehicles to replace my truck and everything still has fuck you+ pricing because inventory is still low and whatever other bullshit US Dealerships can make up.   Some models are in, but getting the creature comforts you and and more importantly what you don't want you have to "build to suit" and its months out for delivery.

So I fucked off over to the Tesla site.  Dicked around and bought the Model 3.  No price increase.  No hidden dealer upcharge.  It's just simple, point and click.  I pick it up today with a $7,500 tax credit.   Told my daughter to call her bf and sell her truck.  It was gone in two days, she made $700.   She's not gonna be off roading and is no longer up north where ice and snow is where the 4runner shined.   She'll drive local and the regenerative breaking is amazing and so her monthly costs will be minimal.

Traveling on the highway, EV's suck ass.  Around town with her type of low mileage driving, it'll be perfect.  Plus, no oil changes, no maintenance.  I've had my Model Y for almost 3 years.  Not one service issue.  Every other car I have, I pay to keep them running, recalls, or shit just breaks all the time.  The Tesla, just fucking works and has all the "options" included.  

Anyways I was reading the thread on US auto manufacturing was down.  Yeah, well, fuck em.  I'm all for capitalism but let your dealer system fuck everyone during and post covid with $10k-+$50K over MSRP, well I hope they all burn to the ground.  Capitalism is working and why I went with another Tesla because I'm fine with them making a profit, its nice to know I'm not getting fucked over hard by a third party dealer pushing it all the way in just because they can.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not into electric cars but I am into the Tesla purchasing model.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck EVs
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't really want a car that watches everything that goes on in my garage and has employees of the company sending clips to each other of private moments inside my house.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck EVs
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#5]
In after the EV butthurt from guys who like supporting OPEC
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Says not a super fan of EV, buys another EV.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In after the EV butthurt from guys who like supporting OPEC
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#8]
It’s your funeral

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#9]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Just checking out the Tesla 3 site the base rwd goes for $41,990. I'd need the AWD for the winter for $52,990. Damn that's expensive. Plus then a supercharger install at my house. Id love a EV if they were more affordable.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Apparently, you exercising your free market rights threatens some people’s manhood.
View Quote

Purchases because of $7500 tax credit.

"free market"

"all for capitalism"
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
 Some models are in, but getting the creature comforts you and and more importantly what you don't want you have to "build to suit" and its months out for delivery.
View Quote

There is your answer.   Plan ahead and use a dealer who does add the upcharge.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Wife and I picked up a 3 with the tax credit too.  Awesome deal while it lasts.   Great car
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Gubmint subsidized.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Apparently, you exercising your free market rights threatens some people’s manhood.
View Quote

Buying EVs helps support the push to force ICE out of the market. It's best that that push is punished ASAP to minimize the damage.

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Buying EVs helps support the push to force ICE out of the market. It's best that that push is punished ASAP to minimize the damage.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Pics of old Tesla?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Isn't that $7500 tax credit going away and/or have phase outs based upon income, so Tesla has had to lower their prices overall to offset that tax credit loss?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Tesla's purchasing method is awesome.....I've spent more time ordering a pizza online than buying my car.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Isn't that $7500 tax credit going away and/or have phase outs based upon income, so Tesla has had to lower their prices overall to offset that tax credit loss?
View Quote

Tesla couldn't keep up with demand for years when their cars weren't eligible for the federal tax credit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Congrats!  I would seriously consider getting one if I needed an "around town" car.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just checking out the Tesla 3 site the base rwd goes for $41,990. I'd need the AWD for the winter for $52,990. Damn that's expensive. Plus then a supercharger install at my house. Id love a EV if they were more affordable.
View Quote

A body of mine has a model 3 in IL.  I asked him how it works in the snow.  He says it's the best car he's ever had for snow.  His model (a little older) has the option to run rwd, or switch it to awd.   He says he never uses awd as it uses more juice and with rwd in the snow and ice he can't tell the difference and is in rwd 99% of the time no matter the weather.  FYI.  That's why I went with the rwd.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

"free market"

"all for capitalism"
View Quote

Get back $7,500 or pay a dealer surcharge of $10,000.00+ over MSRP?  Not a tough choice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you have a 240v plug in your garage the charger is only $200.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

But think of all the money you will save on gas and maintenance!!! IT PAYS FOR ITSELF.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#28]
EV's are really cool so people who like really cool stuff will buy them. When enough people have them and depend on them and ICE vehicles begin to be rare the screws will begin to turn in terms of various limitations on your driving a charging of them... based on your ESG score of course.

If you want one fine but should always have an older ICE vehicle for backup in case your ESG score drops below par.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Are we still pretending that ICE vehicles are more "freedom" than electric, which you can literally charge from your own solar panels on the roof of your house if you choose?

Are you refining petroleum in your garage?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Id love a EV if they were more affordable.
View Quote
Last month at Tesla's Investor Day, Musk hinted that they were going to introduce a more affordable model soon.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Close. True to Elons word, he's lowering prices as things scale.

We paid $550 for our home charger, 2.5 years ago.

Now:
Tesla home charger. Works like a champ
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Now:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now:

I already had a 50amp plug in the garage so I just used the mobile connector.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Are we still pretending that ICE vehicles are more "freedom" than electric, which you can literally charge from your own solar panels on the roof of your house if you choose?

View Quote

ICE is more freedom.

As an example, the Canadian trucker protest would have been shut down easy by turning off the public chargers in the area if they were EVs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:44:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Get back $7,500 or pay a dealer surcharge of $10,000.00+ over MSRP?  Not a tough choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"free market"

"all for capitalism"

Free healthcare
Free education
Free housing

not a tough choice, right?

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

ICE is more freedom.

As an example, the Canadian trucker protest would have been shut down easy by turning off the public chargers in the area if they were EVs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ICE is more freedom.

Again, you can get "fuel" poured from the sky every day during daylight hours. Who needs a public charger, unless you're making cross-country trips?

Are you saying that they could never simply stop delivering petroleum to gas stations if they wanted people to stay home?

You have petroleum in your tank at the government's whim.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Again, you can get "fuel" poured from the sky every day during daylight hours. Who needs a public charger, unless you're making cross-country trips?

Are you saying that they could never simply stop delivering petroleum to gas stations if they wanted people to stay home?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ICE is more freedom.

You aren't getting fuel "poured from the sky" in any sort of quantity unless you are hauling around a tennis court full of solar panels with you.

I bet that less than 15% of people with solar panels have a grid disconnected mode with useful storage.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

ICE is more freedom.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ICE is more freedom.

Didn't the government freeze all their accounts?  How many of those truckers had enough cash to fill up a semi?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

You are thinking about it wrong. Hint: I provided a real world example for why ICE is more freedom.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#39]
congrats OP! Did you get the RWD or the Performance?

I have a older Tesla Model 3 SR+ which is fairly similar to the current Model 3 RWD.

I've been wanting to get a longer range one for road trips, but it is so rare that I take trips out of town that I'm not in any rush to replace the SR+.

Every time I drive it I am reminded how much I love Teslas. They are fast, responsive and just so smooth compared to ICE cars.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#40]
My local Toyota dealership never did market adjustment or whatever.  I'll buy my next vehicle from them when I need it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I lost all interest in Teslas when I found out they don’t support Apple CarPlay.  That was surpring.  Hopefully that will change eventually.  Unless Musk has some personal grudge against it.

Unless Tesla has a comparable product.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been kicking around the idea of a second vehicle myself... the Ridgeline is a great truck for me, and right now while I'm still single, it's fine. Even if gas prices go up, it won't hurt me that much. A base Model 3 with the tax credit would be p nice. I've got about 2 years left paying on the RL, but might have a wifey by then (if all goes well, and it is going well!), and having a second vehicle will be very nice... not quite an absolute necessity, but a very good thing. A base Model 3 might be the front-runner.

ETA: I am still on a waitlist for a Toyota Rav4 Prime, which might be available to me around July. While I like the idea of that vehicle, and that it could do everything I need... it might still eventually be advantageous to have a second vehicle. I may still seriously consider the Rav4P, but trade-in on the current truck, total price and financing rates are what I'd seriously have to consider. If I pull the trigger on that, I think I would want to stay with one vehicle until it's paid off.

ETAMORE: If Tesla does announce a less-expensive Model 2... I may wait for one of those, or get on a wait list if they start one. I'd love it if they produced them here in Austin. I'd go pick it up from the factory if I could.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Picked up the model 3 performance last month.  They’re $1000 less now.  Used to hate driving.  This thing makes driving fun. Scared the shit out of me the first time I punched it.  Drive into work the next day I was a nervous wreck trying to get used to the go peddle, then trying to figure out all the controls and what it can do. Thing is a rocket.

If he manages to produce the $20k version, Tesla’s will be about all you will see on the road, especially if state and federal tax credits/rebates stick around. Teslas warranty includes roadside assistance, towing to their service center if needed, they’ll even send someone to your location for any minor repairs/fixes needed.  

Sucks TX legislature just passed a $400 initial, $200 annual registration fee for EV to go into effect shortly.

Super simple to install the charger yourself and it sure is nice not having to make stops for gas.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Didn't the government freeze all their accounts?  How many of those truckers had enough cash to fill up a semi?
View Quote

They kept going for months. The police tried to prevent them from bringing in fuel, but they were always able to bring it in. Eventually they had to send in police to drive the truckers out with force. The government would not have had to resort to such methods if the trucks were EVs.

Also note they were idling the trucks to stay warm and to use as generators, "fill up" wasn't always necessary. The cold would have been even worse with EVs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You are thinking about it wrong. Hint: I provided a real world example for why ICE is more freedom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have we stopped doing "get both"?  For a lot of things, EV + Solar and generators is more freedom.  For a some things, an ICE is better.  The majority of households in the U.S. have more than one car.

The Canadian trucker protest isn't a great example, because running a truck for heat isn't efficient, and uses close to a gallon an hour of fuel.  Teslas mostly have heatpumps now that sip electricity, and max out at ~700W of consumption.  So, a decent inverter generator would keep the battery charged up with the heat running full blast at about 0.18 gallons of fuel per hour.

So, for fuel carried into the trucker protest, a Tesla would need about 1/4 as much as a truck.

Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Again, you can get "fuel" poured from the sky every day during daylight hours.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Again, you can get "fuel" poured from the sky every day during daylight hours.

Lol OK, let's see the numbers to support that position. I'm an engineer mind you so make it a strong response. I want to see charge rate, number and cost of panels to produce that, adjusted for sunlight intensity and duration in PA.

Quoted:

I have > 450kWh of energy stored in my garage, in hydrocarbon form. Do you have that amount of energy stored, in batteries ?

EV's have their place, I am interested in getting one in the near future. But it's a narrow role, they are a terrible choice from an environmental perspective, and from a independence perspective.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

"free market"

"all for capitalism"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"free market"

"all for capitalism"

Nobody wants complete capitalism. There will be some incentives and regulation.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm sure that sun pouring down in Alaska during the fall and winter will keep their EV's topped off without a problem.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#49]
My wife would call me a pussy and make fun of me if I bought an EV.  lol
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

They kept going for months. The police tried to prevent them from bringing in fuel, but they were always able to bring it in. Eventually they had to send in police to drive the truckers out with force. The government would not have had to resort to such methods if the trucks were EVs.

Also note they were idling the trucks to stay warm and to use as generators, "fill up" wasn't always necessary. The cold would have been even worse with EVs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So without tons of outside support they would have been shut down pretty quick.  How much outside support do you expect to have if the .gov comes after you?  I'm guessing for most people it's a fairly short list.

If the .gov decides to limit your movement, eventually they will likely win.  Your best bet to beat it would be to have multiple options available and one of those options could be EV....since technically you could charge at home on solar.  It would be slow as hell but better than nothing.  I'd guess that most people who own EV's also own ICE vehicles but your assuming it's a binary choice.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top