Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/30/2023 11:52:20 AM EDT
Pretty simple, gun shops are full of fake navy seals and snipers with 5000 yard confirmed kills, but how skilled are you honestly ?

Bumbling tard ?  Likely to shoot yourself as a bad guy ?

Average guy who might piss his pants / might hit the target in a gun fight ?

Above average skills, solid nerve, probably come out ok.

Highly skilled operator, mop the floor with most opposition ?

Well.

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Jerry Miculek takes lessons from me
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#2]
IBTP...
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't engage in the sort of barbaric behavior.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I can shoot my way out of a wet paper sack.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I'm still here so that counts for something.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I am far from the best...

but i'm better than the average person on earth

Army
Law Enforcement
Swat
Lots of courses, classes and force on force training (more so than the average cop or infantryman) (a lot more than the average person.
Crap ton of instructor certifications.

Degree in gunsmithing and classically trained gunsmithing.
(Primary job now is gunsmith and firearms/tactics instructor for the .gov)

Now that I am done bragging, I know a lot of men that are as good or better than me.

I am also getting up there in years.
I don't have "real world combat/war experience."
I do have real world entry and law enforcement engagement experience.

SO "better than average"

ETA: an untrained individual can kill me or any other man under certain circumstances. I am not superman.

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#7]
People routinely notice my firearms competence at the range and ask what I'm carrying.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Definitely above average but no John Wick
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#9]
One of my life goals is to go to the grave without being involved with two way range exercises....

That said, I'd guess that at least most posters here would have the advantage of not going into a hoplophobic vapor lock at the sound of gun fire...
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Jason Bourne was loosely based on my life.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I once ate at Taco Bell without getting diarrhea.....beat that!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm pretty good with a Bo staff.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Better than rhe average Joe. Good with a rifle, getting better with pistol.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Chuck Norris fears ME
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ve taken more pistol, rifle, medical classes than most shooters ever will (15 classes, I lost count). I practice every month with my CCW and fire at least 150 rounds. I also practice medical (TQs and wound packing) monthly if not weekly. I am usually the best shot at the range. That being said I’m always learning. Also take force on force, it’s needed.

Someone out there is training harder than you, shooting more than you, has better gear than you, and wants to kill you. Plan accordingly and suck less.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chuck Norris fears ME
View Quote

Ha.... I fear no man or beast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_moFnqRqDg
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#17]
7th at the IPSC Rifle World Shoot in Russia 2017, thats my highest placement at the world championships.

Same place at the European Rifle Championships in 2012 in Bulgaria.

Made it to the national team in Production pistol for the 2013 European Pistol Championships also ( won 3 national level matches in Finland that year or the year before )

1-1 with Jerry
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Pretty competent.

Top 2%
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Pretty simple, gun shops are full of fake navy seals and snipers with 5000 yard confirmed kills, but how skilled are you honestly ?

Bumbling tard ?  Likely to shoot yourself as a bad guy ?

Average guy who might piss his pants / might hit the target in a gun fight ?

Above average skills, solid nerve, probably come out ok.

Highly skilled operator, mop the floor with most opposition ?

Well.

View Quote

I used to be a training junkie. I thought it was cool once I hit 1,000 hours. Once I hit 10,000 hours I never wanted to do another firearms class. Never make something you enjoy your job
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Once upon a time I was a combat arms type, though never “high speed.”

That said I was once going through a certain 3 week military course with several days of combat type shooting, being taught by a bunch of high speed types. I could tell a few of the instructors noticed that I was chewing the centers out of my targets consistently, out performing a few of the high speed types that were in the course.

Finally one of them asked, “So what did you do before this!?”

I think that was about the coolest I’ve ever felt.

I’d been shooting a lot during that time period on my own, so I doubt I’m still at that level. But I’d still say I’m better than average.

That’s the end of my humble brag. On the rare occasions I get to shoot matches I’m usually in the top 25%, but never win over the guys who take it super seriously.

So I’d say top 25 percentile.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Billy Pees His Pants - Billy Madison (4/9) Movie CLIP (1995) HD

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I open carry a drop leg holster with a Mark 23 when I go to Walmart ....nuff said
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I see bad situations as more than just speed, but stealth. Are you patient? If someone has the drop on you, it is not likely you are fast enough to get the first shot.

Be patient, wait till they turn their head or body. I believe 90% of self-defense lies in your brain.

I study every video I come across that deals with armed individuals. What can I learn. I guess I take a different approach here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm too old to play john wick
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Gun handling...fine
Shooting...fine
Fighting...haven't been in a fight since middle school so probably not great

What I worry about the most is what my mind is going to do if I ever *really* have to use a gun.  Most of us have watched and overanalyzed good shoot/bad shoot videos and I'm afraid I'm going to get killed waiting too long for it to be a good shoot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#26]
lol
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
7th at the IPSC Rifle World Shoot in Russia 2017, thats my highest placement at the world championships.

Same place at the European Rifle Championships in 2012 in Bulgaria.

Made it to the national team in Production pistol for the 2013 European Pistol Championships also ( won 3 national level matches in Finland that year or the year before )

1-1 with Jerry
View Quote

Europeans take their rifle shooting seriously over the pond so that’s a very good placement.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm too old to play john wick
View Quote

+1. I realized I was getting old when I gave up ankle holsters.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I figure as long as I don’t get taken by surprise, I can probably get out alive.

I need more defensive training and plan to do so soon.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I do OK in a variety of local competitive shooting disciplines, so I'd argue that I'm above average, but I get absolutely smoked by the guys that take that particular discipline seriously.  And I have virtually no FoF or fighting experience, so . . . it's a mixed bag?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Rob Leatham, said I was “Awesome” at one if his classes. Lol  
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Based on the ratio of people I see at the range clustered at the 50' berm shooting into the dirt vs the ratio of people shooting on the right up the hill 300 yards, I must be in that top 20% when it comes to gun owners overall. BUT that top 10%.. those guys can place rounds very accurately, far away. Then you have your top 1%.. the people who shoot thousands of rounds per month, and those guys hitting targets at 3,000 yards with .338 Lapua.......
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#33]
While some debate perfection, I have been good enough in many real world confrontations.

I have no idea how good, “good enough” is….but I’m still here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Lived through the Talega Zone,,64 area Camp Pendleton.
For 7 yrs
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I have pretty good skills on rifles and handguns, I do low level pistol comps and place in the top 10-15% normally. But they are only a few actually competitors and they do normally beat me.

I am a hunter, or at least used to so I know how to move in the woods. As much as this will get me laughed at, I play big paintball games and do well sneaking up on people. I know paintball is not real bullets but I do play against real people with eye balls, which is half the battle.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Europeans take their rifle shooting seriously over the pond so that’s a very good placement.
View Quote

Well, I was the 5th best Finn there
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I am still here, others are not.

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Depends on the type of battle. Someone coming through the shattered door at 0200? I'll hold my own. (People who don't know me well think my house is "messy" but I say it's "tactically arranged." For example, there's a short "hallway" from front door to the rest of the living room. It's not a "hallway," it's a "fatal funnel."
Away from home? Not bad. I have good situational awareness.
In a fight with, say, a well-organized paramilitary group? Not well at all.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Sometimes I hit the paper.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm a bit physically impaired, but I can shoot well enough to defend myself, maybe. Running away would be a slow process, physical combat would be comedic. I was ripped and powerful as a young man, but that is no more.

I carry every day and practice when the opportunity arises, it's the best I can do.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I’m pretty good with a pistol at a paper target. That’s about it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#42]
What is that thing where people with low skills rate themselves higher and people with high skills rate themselves lower?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
People routinely notice my firearms competence at the range and ask what I'm carrying.
View Quote

I’m usually too busy telling people they’re shooting too fast.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Remember that movie about the “Cook” on that Navy Destroyer?  Where that chick popped out of the birthday cake?

That was me (the cook-not the chick)
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
What is that thing where people with low skills rate themselves higher and people with high skills rate themselves lower?
View Quote

I don’t know what it’s called, but it’s true.

I used to tell my students that they would start to feel like they knew what they were doing after about a year and a half of doing it full time. Then around the three year point they would realize how little they really know
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#46]
I have not shot my own eye out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm good at video games so probably better than everyone. I'm for sure the best fat guy in my house.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I used to tell my students that they would start to feel like they knew what they were doing after about a year and a half of doing it full time. Then around the three year point they would realize how little they really know
View Quote

No matter how good you are, 99.9% of the time someone can wipe the floor with you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Where's "decent nerves, not as happy with skills as I want despite shooting 3-5k rounds a year"
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 1:11:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I found it:  
The Dunning-Kruger effect is a type of cognitive bias in which people believe they are smarter and more capable than they are. Essentially, low-ability people do not possess the skills needed to recognize their own incompetence
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top