Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 5/19/2023 11:59:47 PM EDT
I make between 90-110k a year depending on overtime, my wife brings home 50k, our mortgage is $1,700 and we're largely debt free but we drive a lot for our jobs, so our gas bill is high.  Grocery prices are absurd, my dog food that used to be $30 is now $51 a bag, little things I never even used to bother looking at the price have gone up 3 fold, basically everything has gone up 3 fold.  Fast food?  Shit, not buying it, I can cook Costco Rib eyes on the grill for the price it would cost to feed my family at McDonald's. I got Taco Bell the other day and it was $18.00.

If I'm noticing the crunch that much how the hell are people who make $20/hr surviving? And when the hell are they going to start voting with their wallets instead of virtue signaling distractions?

I can't see this just going on and on, something has to give soon.  I guess I'm just venting, but I swear sometimes it feels like I had more money when I made jack shit 25 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:09:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I make between 90-110k a year depending on overtime, my wife brings home 50k, our mortgage is $1,700 and we're largely debt free but we drive a lot for our jobs, so our gas bill is high.  Grocery prices are absurd, my dog food that used to be $30 is now $51 a bag, little things I never even used to bother looking at the price have gone up 3 fold, basically everything has gone up 3 fold.  Fast food?  Shit, not buying it, I can cook Costco Rib eyes on the grill for the price it would cost to feed my family at McDonald's. I got Taco Bell the other day and it was $18.00.

If I'm noticing the crunch that much how the hell are people who make $20/hr surviving? And when the hell are they going to start voting with their wallets instead of virtue signaling distractions?

I can't see this just going on and on, something has to give soon.  I guess I'm just venting, but I swear sometimes it feels like I had more money when I made jack shit 25 years ago.
View Quote

Let's go Brandon.

Oh, wait.  It's Trump's fault.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Great question. You didn’t think that the middle class would wield itself into serfdom, did you?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:11:14 AM EDT
[#3]
onlyfans
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:12:57 AM EDT
[#4]
They spend less and/or accumulate debt.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:13:52 AM EDT
[#5]
With any luck, we'll make about $750k this yr overall, with major medical expenses and good food, in a very high cost of living area, we'll put away some savings, but take home is around 60%.  With responsible retirement savings, we're not living it up for sure.  Old cars, no vacations, $2,500 mortgage. The cost of a "nice" 3,500sq ft newish home, about $2.5m here.  So if I save $250k/yr, maybe I get there by retirement.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#6]
ebt
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Good old fashioned American debt
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:16:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Government assistance. All part of the big plan. They been trying to destroy the middle class for decades.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:17:07 AM EDT
[#9]
My mortgage is only 700 a month with acreage.  We own all our vehicles, make 90 percent of our food from scratch, not premade/prepackaged meals.  It's pretty easy actually, hell we even have enough money for a vacation when we want to.  And horse lessons for my daughter.  

I don't get how some here think you have to make over six figures to be comfortable in this country.  Certain markets for sure, but in my travels it seems most places people get by a lot less.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Agreed. Between wife and I we’re pushing 250K/yr.

Used to be, we’d be freaking rich. Now? Between taxes and inflation… we’re feeling very middle class.

I am not feeling good about the financial future, and our mortgage is 2.65%, which seems like cheating today. Everything fucking sucks now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:18:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Relatives picking up the slack....

Don't ask me how I know...

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:18:55 AM EDT
[#12]
We got very lucky to buy our 1st house in February 2020.

Used SUV purchased in 2018, paid off last year.  

Everything has been going up in price due to rampant inflation.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Less than a decade ago, the high end of rent in my neighborhood, which is one of the cheapest in the city, was about $800. Small and/or outdated houses could be found for $4 to $500 on occasion. A couple remodeled houses, 3 br 2 ba, 1100 sq ft and 1300 sq ft, just hit the rental market at $1400 and $1550, respectively. Another not as nice 2 br 1 ba is $1100.

This is the hood.

No wonder kids stay at home as long as they do.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Almost reached middle class, now just treading water. Future is not looking too bright FJB. Shoulder down and just keep pushing ahead.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:24:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm guessing a lot of the people I know must choose debt, because they drive nicer cars than me, have larger mortgages (even though my home and land is nicer, albeit remote, hence the gas bill), but I feel like if I'm not adding to the nest egg each paycheck I'm failing, and there are definitely months that what comes in, goes out.

We're so fucked, it's pretty depressing, at least to me.  Voting for tranny rights and climate change as the priorities as our economy is just going down the shitter. My job is pretty bullet proof, but not indestructible.  Our fucking media would make Goebel proud and teach him a few things. Own the media, own the message..  

Cliffs:  fuck (I'm drinking)
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:27:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Personal debt.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#17]
It's pretty easy when you've only got yourself to take care of. I guess I bought all the shit I really "need" long ago, so now it's just about making enough money to be comfortable without dipping into savings, which so far hasn't been a problem. If I get a hair up my ass about a new toy I can put it on credit and adjust my luxuries until it's paid off. It works for me and I'm relatively happy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:27:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Do without and hopefully survive.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Mortgage is ~$900, truck payment is ~$400, bought both before shit went crazy. I couldn't do it if I made $20/hr.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:28:33 AM EDT
[#20]
OnlyFans, feet pics and farts in a jar
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:28:52 AM EDT
[#21]
72 month auto loans, credit cards, and good old fashioned cutting back.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:32:36 AM EDT
[#22]
It’s bad for sure, but most of the pain is between your ears.

I find that life in America is still beyond what 99% of human history and the rest of the world could ever hope for.

Ever seen how some people in poor countries are joyful land happy despite poverty?

The mental prison that we locked ourselves into is thinking we need stuff to be happy. It’s a lie.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:32:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mortgage is ~$900, truck payment is ~$400, bought both before shit went crazy. I couldn't do it if I made $20/hr.
View Quote

Why not? That's ony $10,800 and $4800 out of $41,600. Without dependents that's doable and you could put 10% into a 401k.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:32:57 AM EDT
[#24]
OP: do you have a budget?

Do you know what your fixed costs are each month?

Is anything jumping out at you as too much?  Find cheaper alternatives.  You might shop around for homeowners insurance and car insurance and see if you can save anywhere.
Cell phone plans too.

what are your retirement contributions like?

If you and your wife are grossing $12,000 a month you should have margin based on what you're telling us.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:34:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whew! got the bills paid for another month.

Where can I get some pics and jars?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:35:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I just hope democrats are feeling the pain. We're. All in the same boat op
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:36:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I make less than that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean, you could always go with a combo deal. A pic of a foot in a jar sealed in with a fart.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lose the truck, that is a lot of money to look cool
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:38:38 AM EDT
[#30]
We do without. Right now we're sweating out a sick cat; cards are maxed out after my surgery. She's looking better tonight, we think she had a virus.
If not for the local food pantry we'd be in a lot of trouble.
And if the car or truck go TU, we'll be in trouble.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Cook at home. This cost $4

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:40:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I mean, you could always go with a combo deal. A pic of a foot in a jar sealed in with a fart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a foot fetish guy but my wife does have beautiful feet. I told her if she really wanted to be a stay at home mom there is a market for feet pics. I would like to think you could remain completely anonymous if you only posted pictures of your feet.

I even offered to put my dick on her feet in some pictures if it would boost sales. I'm a team player.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:43:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm not a foot fetish guy but my wife does have beautiful feet. I told her if she really wanted to be a stay at home mom there is a market for feet pics. I would like to think you could remain completely anonymous if you only posted pictures of your feet.

I even offered to put my dick on her feet in some pictures if it would boost sales. I'm a team player.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Modern problems require modern solutions

My better half and I have stopped eating out completely. We post videos of our meal prep and I also make a little scratch on the side as a DJ on twitch
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It’s bad for sure, but most of the pain is between your ears.

I find that life in America is still beyond what 99% of human history and the rest of the world could ever hope for.

Ever seen how some people in poor countries are joyful land happy despite poverty?

The mental prison that we locked ourselves into is thinking we need stuff to be happy. It’s a lie.
View Quote

This is so true.  When I was a lad, I dreamed of owning all kinds of toys - a Ferrari, a nice boat, a mansion.  Now that I am a mature man, and can afford many nice toys, I find that I don't want them anymore.  My perfect day is me and the missus taking a drive out into the country, finding a local place to have lunch and a margarita, then going home and watching an old movie on the telly.  Or taking the kids for a round of clays, then lunch.  You get the point.  Life is now about experiences, not things.

My wish for GD is that y'all can find the peace that I have.  The marriage that I have.  The friends that I have.

It's out there.  Unfortunately, most will never achieve it.  "He who dies with the most toys, dies surrounded by toys."
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:48:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Im a retired state employee with a smallish pension.How we do it.

Debt free ( including mortgage)

Empty nesters. Set our kids up for success with useable degrees , no student loans.

Live within our means.

Don't take expensive vacations or eat out much etc.

Not being lazy-

Side gigs, wife cleans a church, I work part time (28 hours a week) in a grocery store.

Do my own home repair, mowing, changing oil etc.

We do fine.

ETA: we cut all the BS out of our budget years ago, no trash service, landline phone, sat/cable and we can't even get internet here so we use our cell phones for everything. All that crap adds up to A LOT each month.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:49:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Is anything jumping out at you as too much?  Find cheaper alternatives.  You might shop around for homeowners insurance and car insurance and see if you can save anywhere.
Cell phone plans too.

If you and your wife are grossing $12,000 a month you should have margin based on what you're telling us.
View Quote

Our 150k is taxed, so there is no 12k a month, and we're doing well.  I guess I'm really bitching about,  in my own case, that I can't just go and be a financial dipshit on a whim, or feel like I can't.  I'm 48 with 6 stents in my heart, arthritis so bad that sometimes I wonder how I function, and kinda get the feeling I'm not going to have some golden retirement so I'd like to do the things I want to do while also making sure my family is secure after I'm gone.  

Maybe what I make isn't that good, and I'm fooling myself, but I still have 3 kids at home and I haven't hit penny pinching yet, but the economy had definitely put me in "wait a little while" mode.  I did splurge and buy this, 700 rounds of ammo,  and 8 magazines for it though, so I'm still somewhat of a dipshit. Seemed like a good price though and I've wanted a Dragunov knockoff for 20+ years...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:50:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Some people have side hustles the real reason irs needed  40+ Thousand
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:50:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Lifestyle and standard of living makes a difference, if you're making 160k family income in WV you are way above average. It would be incredibly easy to make it on less than that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:51:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Gwyneth Paltrow can sell “this is my vagina” candles then surely we can sell “this is my ass” scented jars.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:52:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:53:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#42]
I think people are just piling up debt paying for groceries and essentials with credit cards .
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:55:15 AM EDT
[#43]
How are people who don’t make good money surviving right now, you ask?

Simple answer.  In many cases, “they aren’t.”
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:55:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Relatives picking up the slack....

Don't ask me how I know...

View Quote

This. Multiple family members living together
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This.

Just imagine how bad things would be right now if Trump had won.
View Quote

True.  I don't know how I could handle $1.89 gas again.  I would faint straight away at the horror!
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:00:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Our 150k is taxed, so there is no 12k a month, and we're doing well.  I guess I'm really bitching about,  in my own case, that I can't just go and be a financial dipshit on a whim, or feel like I can't.  I'm 48 with 6 stents in my heart, arthritis so bad that sometimes I wonder how I function, and kinda get the feeling I'm not going to have some golden retirement so I'd like to do the things I want to do while also making sure my family is secure after I'm gone.  

Maybe what I make isn't that good, and I'm fooling myself, but I still have 3 kids at home and I haven't hit penny pinching yet, but the economy had definitely put me in "wait a little while" mode.  I did splurge and buy this, 700 rounds of ammo,  and 8 magazines for it though, so I'm still somewhat of a dipshit. Seemed like a good price though and I've wanted a Dragunov knockoff for 20+ years...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/133760/pix013078029_jpg-2822638.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cell phone plans too.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/133760/pix013078029_jpg-2822638.JPG

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:01:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Depends a lot on location, I want to leave when my daughter finishes school but seems like I will never be able to afford anywhere I look.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:08:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I make less than $20 an hour and I'm doing okay. I live like I'm poor though. My brother and I work in the same place so I ride with him, we share the price of gas. My rent is not bad, it's affordable to me. My only other bills are natural gas for heat and hot water, electric, cable internet (no cable TV), and my cell phone bills. I grocery shop only for myself and I generally only eat one meal a day. I still manage to put away $1000 a month into my investment accounts.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Lots of opportunities for jars, farts and feet pics in this thread. Please don't add the dick stuff but I'm going through the couch cushions now to scrape up enough dough to continue living a good life.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:15:07 AM EDT
[#50]
My feet aren't bad, I have evolution toe though,  does that command a premium or hurt my overall foot portfolio?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Top Top