BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/24/2023 12:47:25 PM EDT
I agree.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/f-16-greatest-fighter-jet-time-have-receipts

Let’s crown the U.S. Air Force’s F-16 Fighting Falcon the most successful fighter jet of all time.  

The F-16 has ripped up enemy ground forces in Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan and Serbia, and is set to change the balance of power for Ukraine and Taiwan. No other jet fighter out there is almost 50 years old and still in such demand.

Go ahead, criticize me. Sure, the F-15 Eagle has the 104-0 air combat kill ratio. The F-22 Raptor is the most technically superior fighter, with its stealth and speed, and F-22s were just sent back to the Middle East to counter unsafe Russian air activity over Syria.  

Looking back, who doesn’t love the Navy’s "Top Gun" F-14 Tomcat, now retired, or early jets like the F-86 Sabre of Korean War fame?

Still, nothing can match the combat power, versatility and long production run of the F-16. This is one busy jet. Right now, F-16s from Portugal and Romania are flying NATO’s air policing against Russian intruders up in the Baltics. F-16s from Taiwan face down mass packages of Chinese combat aircraft.  

Remember that sonic boom over Washington, D.C. on Sunday, June 4? That, folks, was just one F-16. The shockwave emitted as the F-16 accelerated past the speed of sound jolted and shook houses along a 40-mile arc ranging across suburban Virginia, Washington D.C., and Maryland.  

If you heard it, you were lucky; it’s very rare, because restrictions bar the F-16s guarding the capital from going supersonic except in an emergency.

And yes, American F-16s are also certified to carry tactical nuclear weapons for extended deterrence for allies, as Russia’s lugubrious Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov complained last week. F-16s sat nuclear alert in Germany for years during the Cold War.

Get ready for this: over 4,560 F-16s have been produced since the 1970s. That’s not the record for a jet fighter. You Vietnam veterans know that the total of 5,195 F-4 Phantoms produced from 1958 to 1979 is a bigger number.  

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I always liked the viper and it must be one of the best jets to fly in, but it will never have the aura of a tomcat or an eagle.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always liked the viper and it must be one of the best jets to fly in, but it will never have the aura of a tomcat or an eagle.
View Quote

Disagree, love the F-14 but it's a boat.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Dos Gringos - I Wish I Had A Gun Just Like The A-10
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
It seems to be a do everything well aircraft and isn't as expensive as others.

Would love to see it one day with GPS sdbs and have it be able to be it's own effective grid square destroyer.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Won't get into the whole "greatest" thing, but they sure are cool.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh bullshit.

F22 and it’s not close.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Too bad BULLF-16 can't be here for this party.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a "thing" about have two engines - especially for the US Navy, but the F16 is about as bullet proof as you can get and its a hell of a lot cheaper to build.

I bet you could build 4 F16's for what it costs to build one F22 or F35
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#9]
The F-16 is a fine jet, but it is in demand primarily due to the lower operating costs of a single engine 4th Gen fighter.  If money was no object there are better options.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Tomcat is arguably the most overrated American fighter of the last 50 years.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There is a "thing" about have two engines - especially for the US Navy, but the F16 is about as bullet proof as you can get and its a hell of a lot cheaper to build.

View Quote

Depending on how the math is done, I’m pretty sure the late block F-16’s are just about the same cost, or damn near, what an F-35A is.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

And one of those F-22s or F-35s could kill all four Vipers in short order.  That’s based on the reports of many pilots who have been on the receiving end, at least for the Raptor.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#13]
This is best

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#14]
As a lover of the F-16, I disagree. The role of the F-16 has changed a ton since it was first introduced. The F-22 is the greatest fighter, so far.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oh bullshit.

F22 and it’s not close.
View Quote

I don’t the author means “greatest” as simply most capable.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I agree.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/f-16-greatest-fighter-jet-time-have-receipts

Let’s crown the U.S. Air Force’s F-16 Fighting Falcon the most successful fighter jet of all time.  

The F-16 has ripped up enemy ground forces in Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan and Serbia, and is set to change the balance of power for Ukraine and Taiwan. No other jet fighter out there is almost 50 years old and still in such demand.

Go ahead, criticize me. Sure, the F-15 Eagle has the 104-0 air combat kill ratio. The F-22 Raptor is the most technically superior fighter, with its stealth and speed, and F-22s were just sent back to the Middle East to counter unsafe Russian air activity over Syria.  

Looking back, who doesn’t love the Navy’s "Top Gun" F-14 Tomcat, now retired, or early jets like the F-86 Sabre of Korean War fame?

Still, nothing can match the combat power, versatility and long production run of the F-16. This is one busy jet. Right now, F-16s from Portugal and Romania are flying NATO’s air policing against Russian intruders up in the Baltics. F-16s from Taiwan face down mass packages of Chinese combat aircraft.  

Remember that sonic boom over Washington, D.C. on Sunday, June 4? That, folks, was just one F-16. The shockwave emitted as the F-16 accelerated past the speed of sound jolted and shook houses along a 40-mile arc ranging across suburban Virginia, Washington D.C., and Maryland.  

If you heard it, you were lucky; it’s very rare, because restrictions bar the F-16s guarding the capital from going supersonic except in an emergency.

And yes, American F-16s are also certified to carry tactical nuclear weapons for extended deterrence for allies, as Russia’s lugubrious Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov complained last week. F-16s sat nuclear alert in Germany for years during the Cold War.

Get ready for this: over 4,560 F-16s have been produced since the 1970s. That’s not the record for a jet fighter. You Vietnam veterans know that the total of 5,195 F-4 Phantoms produced from 1958 to 1979 is a bigger number.  

View Quote

The F 16 was created as a cheap fighter and one that the poor's countries could afford with western technology.
Read the sales brochures from the XF16
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Living on the flight line at Kunsan AB left an impression. 13-14 hours of exercise in mopp to fall asleep just in time to have a squadron go full combat takeoff for 20min.

Powerful F-16 Afterburner Takeoff

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#18]
@Mach and I know the F-15 is actually the best but the F-16 is sexy and capable as hell. Shorter legs though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It seems to be a do everything well aircraft and isn't as expensive as others.

Would love to see it one day with GPS sdbs and have it be able to be it's own effective grid square destroyer.
View Quote

You just can't compare it to a Raptor, so let's take the F-22 off the table for now. I've heard on this very board that a good pilot in a slick F-16 is a difficult opponent to take out. Add in the latest block with all the updates and the aircraft has an incredible amount of versatility. Is it better than the F-15EX? Dunno, but it's pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I got to watch this one in person a few weeks go. Really incredible to see up close.

2023 USAF F-16 Viper Demo in Storm! - Barksdale AFB (Louisiana) - Day 2 Defenders of Liberty
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#21]
A few years ago (1983-1986) when I was stationed at Ramstein, I remember the F-16's arriving and replacing the F-4's, and was surprised how small they were compared to the F-4.    But man, on takeoff, they were a fricking rocket.     Loved my time over in Germany.

image upload software
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#22]
It's a cool plane but not the best when speaking comparatively. To me its like the F4, large scale production multi role, exportable, jack of all trades. Doesent make it any less bad ass looking though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A few years ago (1983-1986) when I was stationed at Ramstein, I remember the F-16's arriving and replacing the F-4's, and was surprised how small they were compared to the F-4.    But man, on takeoff, they were a fricking rocket.     Loved my time over in Germany.

https://i.postimg.cc/9Fb3Nfrg/20230624-134136.jpgimage upload software
View Quote

It’s quite a comparison. The F-16 is almost small enough to fit in a big garage while the F4 was the size of a house!
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Oh bullshit.

F22 and it's not close.
View Quote
WTF would you know about aircraft?
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@Mach and I know the F-15 is actually the best but the F-16 is sexy and capable as hell. Shorter legs though.
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#27]
IRON EAGLE 'GIMME SOME LOVIN'' Battle Sequence
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Lawn darts.

My step brother was a weapons loader on the F16 at Hill in the late 80s
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#29]
That’s a badass video!
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except F-15 drivers are gay.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd say the biggest counter argument would be that a number of countries (Canada, Australia, Finland, maybe more) looked at the F-16 and the F/A-18 and chose the Hornet.

F-16 is an awesome aircraft, but it was designed to be a cheaper, shorter range, light fighter.

Even amongst it's generational peers, I'd put the F-15 Eagle and F/A-18 Hornet ahead of it as overall better aircraft.  Slightly newer (~1996) Rafale, Grippen, and F-22 also make the cut.

If you are just looking at scope of service, the F-4, F-15, F/A-18, and F-35 probably beat it out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#32]
And if it is not superseded by something completely different and novel, I think the F-35 could take the crown from the F-16. There's still 30-40 years of producing and operating the type to go!
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#33]
You have to factor the F-16s limitations as part of why it is used by many countries.

Being cheaper is a big factor for countries without a defense budget like the US.

Not needing deep strike range (Israel and Japan both need longer range aircraft and so operate the F-15).

And the US usually likes it's 2nd tier allies (Pakistan, Iraq, Turkey, Egypt, Venezuela, Chile, etc.) to have equipment a level behind what the US is using without the range to deep strike it's neighbors.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#34]
F-16 is the Honda civic of modern fighters.

Of all the stupid defense spending we've done, and got virtually no use and nothing back from... Fighters are definitely in the top 5. But dipshits love to jack off to propaganda movies and airshows.

I hope we never live to regret not building more subs, missiles and UAVs, but we probably will.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#35]
I always love these debates.......like 99% of the people commenting have ZERO knowledge about the real capabilities of any of these aircraft. Also wiklipedia doesn't cover the rated of how broke and waiting for parts all of these probably are.

But any chance I have to shit on the falling falcon.......just remember out of all the drones.....the failcon is the only one. Such a good aircraft they are getting shot down
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Too bad BULLF-16 can't be here for this party.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/9Fb3Nfrg/20230624-134136.jpgimage upload software
View Quote

Shit dude, I was at Ramstein at that time. I was in 3rd and 4th grade, though. I forgot what my dad was doing at the time, but we were there. Dad had previously been a WSO in the Phantom II.

I remember there were still some Phantoms around, but the F-16s were there, too. I remember going to Flugtag one time... that was amazing!
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Arguing the best is fruitless without context.  Of course the F-16 is a technologically advanced compared to the P-51.  But the P-51 is technologically advanced compared to a Sopwith Camel.

Give them a few years and the F-22 and F-35 will be obsolete as another generation of aircraft comes online.

But weapons also change.  A Sopwith Camel fitted with a directed EMP weapon might take down even today's most advanced aircraft.  Why? Because today's aircraft rely on things like radar and laser targeting.  A Sopwith Camel has a very small radar signature, and is a lousy laser reflector.  Might get it with an infared weapon, but even their heat signature may be below the weapons threshold.

By the way, my favorite jet powered fighter is this one.  Even though this particular one tried very hard to kill me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Bullshit, the MiG-21 is, almost 80 years old and still going strong. Most produced supersonic fighter in history.

Nah, I'm mostly messing with you. But I'm a huge Fishbed fan and I think the MiG-21 was a huge game-changer when it first hit the field. Not sure how big of a "jump" the F-16 was compared to the F-15.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Living on the flight line at Kunsan AB left an impression. 13-14 hours of exercise in mopp to fall asleep just in time to have a squadron go full combat takeoff for 20min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m06uWM_tABM
View Quote

The Kun was my first base.  I had a great year at the 8th CS.  I was a terrible SF auggie.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Bullshit, the MiG-21 is, almost 80 years old and still going strong. Most produced supersonic fighter in history.

Nah, I'm mostly messing with you. But I'm a huge Fishbed fan and I think the MiG-21 was a huge game-changer when it first hit the field. Not sure how big of a "jump" the F-16 was compared to the F-15.
View Quote

Not only still going but thriving. Look at the upgrades the Indians have done to it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#42]
My dad was Airforce.  He took me up the ladder and set down in the cockpit of one when I was about 4 or 5, so this was in the mid 80's, and took a photo. One of my earliest memories.

I have a special bias for them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#44]
This one's for you Chappie
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#45]
F-15 Eagle - The Most Gangster Fighter Jet Of All Time

OP is wrong.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Having lived in St Louis 20 years - and flying weekly out of Lambert St Louis Airport - I was able to watch a lot of F-15s take off (Boeing manufactures them there). When they get off the ground and pull the nose straight up with full afterburners, it is beyond amazing. It literally feels like they can rearrange your internal organs when you’re taxiing for take off. I’m ready to see some F-15EXs practicing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm no pilot, but goddamn the Block 50 is awesome to fly in DCS
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep
Good PR program
Shot down two Libyan turds.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#49]
You'd be wrong.  It's a sexy plane, and very capable, but nothing in my opinion comes close to the F-15 in overall effectiveness and usefulness.  Between longevity, air superiority and the ability to deliver a metric fuckton of bombs.  It has range, speed and a huge array of things it can carry.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top