Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/30/2023 3:09:25 PM EDT
I normally do not travel without a Winchester defender 8 shot shotgun and at the very least a 5 shot 38.

Most times I have A Glock 17 or BHP. Sometimes an AR or AK

In the past I have Run silent Run deep with the Thought I will have to play stupid or lie like a motherfucker.  But I am no good at lying. This act stupid and hide the guns when I'm in these states has served me well in Illinois, Maryland and DC in the past, many years ago, but I want to do things right and not be afraid.

How am I going to get through New York or Maryland or New Hampshire, Connecticut, New Jersy, and Massachusetts.

the Idea is to drive into Maine.  But we may want to spend a night or two in the Boston area and I assume Pennsylvania is good to go but maybe not?

Down here we have truck guns and they never leave the truck.  Just like having a jack and tools.  

I know I can look up the laws but what is law and what they will do to a guy with Texas plates may be two different things.

What say you ARF?
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You are taking a hell of a chance.

Any little thing could trip you up and ruin your life.

Car accident, you are in the hospital, Boston Police look through your vehicle for accident clews, OPE!  found a gun!

Get a stout stick, the chances of you having to use it are very very slight.

Sad situation to be in...

Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
If you take a gun up there and get caught with it, expect jail time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Those states? I wouldn’t even chance it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#4]
There are no provisions for just passing through.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the rice fields, motherfucker!
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I normally do not travel without a Winchester defender 8 shot shotgun and at the very least a 5 shot 38.

In the past I have Run silent Run deep with the Thought I will have to play stupid or lie like a motherfucker.  But I am no good at lying. This act stupid and hide the guns when I'm in these states has served me well in Illinois, Maryland and DC in the past, many years ago, but I want to do things right and not be afraid.

How am I going to get through New York or Maryland or New Hampshire, Connecticut, New Jersy, and Massachusetts.

the Idea is to drive into Maine.  But we may want to spend a night or two in the Boston area and I assume Pennsylvania is good to go but maybe not?

Down here we have truck guns and they never leave the truck.  Just like having a jack and tools.  

I know I can look up the laws but what is law and what they will do to a guy with Texas plates may be two different things.

What say you ARF?
View Quote
New Hampshire is far free-er than TX.
Constitutional carry state.
No restrictions on where (think bar or restaurant).
No laws restricting the age at which a person may possess and carry firearms.
Castle Doctrine/ Stand Your ground

Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

If that's a question, the answer is: sort of.

If you don't stop, then yes you're protected. If you do stop for whatever reason, even fueling, you're in violation.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#8]
You're safe in NH, but not MA, or NY for sure.  VT is maybe okay?
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#9]
You will be fine in PA but i would never go into NY or NJ. In NJ hollowpoints are illegal (even 22lr). And I have personally seen people in NY at rest areas having cars searched for firearms.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

You said stopping in Boston for a night or two

Nope

Traveling through, is legal. NH and Maine are safe zones, VT safer than the rest

Just don’t say anything if you get pulled over while traveling
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Unloaded, cased and in the trunk. Try to plan the last leg of your trip to drive through from Pennsylvania to Maine. No overnighting in Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, or Massachusetts. Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are Constitutional Carry states.

ETA: No hollow point ammunition in New Jersey. You may beat the case, but you won't beat the ride.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn’t worry about it…I may or may not know a guy who just traveled all through CA with a concealed G19. Are you a shitty driver? Do you get pulled over a lot? If not what’s the worry.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Fuck the commie states

Your Texas plates will make you a target for every cock-stroking thug in uniform who sees them
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#14]
NH has far better gun laws than TX and you are worried about us?

As for the rest of them, just don’t. Stay in TX.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

FOPA should protect him as long he doesn't do any prolonged stops in states where he can't have a gun in the vehicle. But it may be a roll of the dice.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

FOPA should protect him as long he doesn't do any prolonged stops in states where he can't have a gun in the vehicle. But it may be a roll of the dice.
View Quote

LOL, tell the MA state police about FOPA and see how that goes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've driven through Massachusetts and down to the Eastern Shore of Virginia with a pistol out of sight in the car. Don't give the cops a reason to stop you or search your car and you'll be alright. And don't keep it with your insurance card or registration!
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can travel through states with firearms.  States with restrictive laws can't bar you from traveling through the state with the weapons as long as they are secured and not loaded. Just tell them you are headed for Maine from Texas.  The guns are legal in both places so you can transport them through restrictive states.
Stolen from USConcealCarry
Per federal law 18 USC § 926A, every U.S. citizen may legally transport firearms across state lines as long as he or she is legally allowed to possess the weapons in both the state of origin as well as the destination.

You can legally transport firearms across state lines as long as:

You can lawfully possess firearms in your state of origin.
You can lawfully possess firearms at your destination.
The firearm and ammunition must be stored out of reach (not in the glove compartment or center console).*
Although it may not be required, it is a good idea to lock your ammunition and guns in separate lock boxes in the trunk or anywhere out of immediate reach.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I don’t go to places that don’t allow self defense. Just not worth it. Buddy in CT wants me to visit. Told him they would imprison me for life there for owning things.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#20]
PA your fine. I would also plan your route through PA into upstate NY. People think NY and think NYC. Upstate NY is different. Cops up there understand a little bit more.

If you appear to be a responsible, contributing member of society they probably won't even ask that question. I can honestly say I have NEVER been asked if there are weapons in my vehicle, and there always are.

Your biggest issue in NY is going to be magazine capacity. I can't say I'm aware of any provisions for the transportation of magazines through states.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fuck the commie states

Your Texas plates will make you a target for every cock-stroking thug in uniform who sees them
View Quote

Just put a rainbow sticker on your car when you get to the border.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#22]
NH has looser gun laws then TX
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Drive to HEB, get a couple live lobsters, call it good.

This is a bad time to get hemmed up in some commie state.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I drove from Maine to Texas when we moved down here 3 yrs ago. Rifles, shotguns and pistols in cases and wrapped in blankets on the floorboard of a vehicle towed behind a uhaul. 10,000 rds of 12 ga and various ammo underneath everything in the uhaul.
First overnight stop was Pa..
Speed limit,  turn signals, seat belts etc. through Ma., NY and Ct.
After that it was pedal to the metal.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Stopping to see the sights in NJ, NY, CT and MA while carrying or transporting firearms could land one in jail if discovered with contraband firearms. While FOPA is supposed to protect one transporting firearms it doesn't account for stopping to see the sights or staying a few days with family. In the states mentioned they are notorious for not honoring FOPA at the road side, arresting people and letting the courts figure things out when contraband firearms are found by law enforcement. Handguns are verboten in NY unless one has a NY pistol permit and NY rarely issues non resident permits. If all you bring is a pump shotgun (no pistol grip) you'll be fine in the gun hating states provided you transport the shotgun unloaded and per FOPA and any additional transport restrictions (like NY) may have.

18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#28]
No way too many local laws up there will get you arrested
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are, but you cant make mass a destination. A single round of ammo is a felony in mass.

And both mass and ny will gladly charge you even if you are covered under federal law, which will cost you lots of legal fees.

Ny has a history of charging people with checked guns on flights diverted into the state that never had any plans to set foot in my.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You can travel through states with firearms.  States with restrictive laws can't bar you from traveling through the state with the weapons as long as they are secured and not loaded. Just tell them you are headed for Maine from Texas.  The guns are legal in both places so you can transport them through restrictive states.
Stolen from USConcealCarry
Per federal law 18 USC § 926A, every U.S. citizen may legally transport firearms across state lines as long as he or she is legally allowed to possess the weapons in both the state of origin as well as the destination.

You can legally transport firearms across state lines as long as:

You can lawfully possess firearms in your state of origin.
You can lawfully possess firearms at your destination.
The firearm and ammunition must be stored out of reach (not in the glove compartment or center console).*
Although it may not be required, it is a good idea to lock your ammunition and guns in separate lock boxes in the trunk or anywhere out of immediate reach.
View Quote

NY doesn’t give a shit.

MA doesn’t either, but less likely to run into issues.

Best bet, plan shortest route from PA through NY into VT or at least “high Mass”.

Obey most traffic laws, don’t stop, don’t be too slow either.

Gun stickers on your vehicles invite the fun times.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Many years ago I owned several high end machine guns (like my avatar) and I delivered them to a buyer on the PA/OH line
I drove from CT, through NYC, NJ etc with them in the back of a SUV under a few blankets, in hard cases
In Mincraft of course
In other words, concealed is concealed (still in Minecraft)
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#32]
NH you're fine-don't carry in a courthouse is really the only state restriction.

ME you're fine-has specific rules about where you can't carry and has duty to inform unless you have a permit.

VT you're fine, but has mag bans on the books.

Don't stop in MA or NY.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess if he was going to airdrop into NH then he would be fine. He has to go through NJ, NY, and not so friendly New England states.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Short answer: DON'T!!
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I guess if he was going to airdrop into NH then he would be fine. He has to go through NJ, NY, and not so friendly New England states.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can drive.  Just don't stop and don't consent to a search.  There is also an airport, so no parachute needed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You will be fine in PA but i would never go into NY or NJ. In NJ hollowpoints are illegal (even 22lr). And I have personally seen people in NY at rest areas having cars searched for firearms.
View Quote

NO THEY AREN'T.

They are legal to posses, use on your property, at your home and at the range. There are some restrictions for hollowpoints but they are not illegal.

https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/transport-hollowpoint.shtml#:~:text=There%20are%20no%20restrictions%20preventing,of%20it%20to%20specified%20locations

Now, having said that... I'd avoid nj like the fucking plague. Just consider everything verboten in nj.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What say you ARF?
View Quote

Possibly one of the worst ideas ever.

You could send a gun to a someone in VT, NH, or ME, and have it with you while you are in those states, but probably not worth it.

Being caught with a gun in NY, CT, RI(?), or MA without the proper permit will mean arrest and imprisonment, and you may well spend so much on your defense that it bankrupts you or you lose your house.

Note that possessing something as seemingly innocuous as a spent .22 rimfire case or post-ban high (standard) capacity magazine in MA is a 10 year felony. You would lose your right to vote, and don't expect to find any pro-2A judges to hear your case.

I cannot convey how awful it would be.

Sorry.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#38]
No. Don't do it.

I make DAMN sure that NO guns or ammo are in the car when we go to Danbury CT,  majority of the trip is through NY on I-84.

Even if you obey the speed limit, don't stop etc, God forbid you get into a traffic accident in those draconian states.

You're playing with fire.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Spending the night in Boston is a no go.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#40]
We travel alot now that we're retired.
We spent 8 days in upstate NY on the way to Maine from Indiana last year.
We were in Maine for 2.5 months in a travel trailer.  I was not willing to be totally unarmed for that length of time.
"Concealed means concealed" worked for me.  Hellcat OSP with 10 round mags.  
I check lights every time we hook up the trailer, drive the speed limit, have no gun stickers / clothing, use my blinker for lane changes, etc. etc. etc.  
For me, I was willing to risk it.  YMMV and all that.
It is unfortunate that NYS has no provisions that allow you to be legal with a handgun.

We are on a Western states tour this year, spending a total of 6.5 months throughout the West.
I am abiding by the laws while here.   When traveling between campgrounds here in CA, G26.3 with 10 round mags is broken down in a locked case in the TT.  Once we're in camp, I assemble and load it and leave it in the trailer when we are sightseeing.  This will be the case in both Oregon and Nevada as well.  All other states I am GTG with either my Indiana CHL or under CC laws.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#41]
It's times like this that I wish I hadn't sold our plane. Hopping around in the sky watching the Staties from above while cleaning my pistol with the plane on auto-pilot would have been nice.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think it's called the interstate travelers protection act (federal). Summary as best I can remember is the weapon has to be in a locked case and unloaded.  You have to be travelling straight through the state with the exception of stopping for food, lodging, or gas.  Once you get to NH you're good.  NH and ME have constitutional carry.  VT does as well, but they have stupid magazine restrictions now.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I think it's called the interstate travelers protection act (federal). Summary as best I can remember is the weapon has to be in a locked case and unloaded.  You have to be travelling straight through the state with the exception of stopping for food, lodging, or gas.  Once you get to NH you're good.  NH and ME have constitutional carry.  VT does as well, but they have stupid magazine restrictions now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is exactly how I understand it to be. Don't stop in Massachusetts with your guns, it's a police  state and you're better off just passing through.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Nope

Traveling through, is legal. NH and Maine are safe zones, VT safer than the rest

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope

Dont ask Dont tell
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just asking, Fuck sorry to rattle your cage.  I don't know jack shit about your state that is why I was asking. why the fuck am I even thinking about going up to Yankee land I must be out of my fucking mind.  Oh that is right I'm married.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Just asking, Fuck sorry to rattle your cage.  I don't know jack shit about your state that is why I was asking. why the fuck am I even thinking about going up to Yankee land I must be out of my fucking mind.  Oh that is right I'm married.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All right,

After your tantrum, stay is your shitty restrictive state.  I normally don't mind inviting folks from Arf up here.  You're not worthy.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Alternative solution: bring a 3D printer with you.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
We travel alot now that we're retired.
We spent 8 days in upstate NY on the way to Maine from Indiana last year.
We were in Maine for 2.5 months in a travel trailer.  I was not willing to be totally unarmed for that length of time.
"Concealed means concealed" worked for me.  Hellcat OSP with 10 round mags.  
I check lights every time we hook up the trailer, drive the speed limit, have no gun stickers / clothing, use my blinker for lane changes, etc. etc. etc.  
For me, I was willing to risk it.  YMMV and all that.
It is unfortunate that NYS has no provisions that allow you to be legal with a handgun.

We are on a Western states tour this year, spending a total of 6.5 months throughout the West.
I am abiding by the laws while here.   When traveling between campgrounds here in CA, G26.3 with 10 round mags is broken down in a locked case in the TT.  Once we're in camp, I assemble and load it and leave it in the trailer when we are sightseeing.  This will be the case in both Oregon and Nevada as well.  All other states I am GTG with either my Indiana CHL or under CC laws.
View Quote

That big TEXAS sticker of a license plate is probably a red flag.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#49]
I just moved to Tennessee.

I had my entire crew cab in my F350 loaded to the ceiling with ammo and around 40 guns. Must have had 1500-2000 lbs of ammo in there.

And I drove right through Illinois, even slept in the truck at a rest stop there.

Didn't get stopped, but i was careful.

Link Posted: 6/30/2023 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

All right,

After your tantrum, stay is your shitty restrictive state.  I normally don't mind inviting folks from Arf up here.  You're not worthy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All right,

I was not asking permission; I go where I want.  Besides, my county is bigger than your state. Fuck, yall need a bunch of bud lights up there to chill out.  
yall are some testy fuckers up there.  Bunch of defensive sheps up there, can dish it but not take it. I guess if I was freezing my nuts of 8 months out of the year i would be pissy too.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top