Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/17/2023 4:47:51 PM EDT
Feel like you share the roadways with some dangerous drivers? A new study shows where that’s most likely to be the case.

The study by ConsumerAffairs reviewed crash data from the U.S. Department of Transportation and information included in the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System.

The site then ranked cities based on four factors: crash fatalities per 100,000 people, the number of fatalities (per 100,000 people) due to bad driving, positive blood alcohol content, and speeding. “Bad driving” included driving the wrong way in one-way traffic; failing to yield; aggressive and careless driving; making an improper turn; following improperly; inexperience operating; passing where prohibited; and improper or erratic lane changing.

Only cities with populations of 100,000 or more were reviewed by ConsumerAffairs.

Cities with the worst drivers, according to ConsumerAffairs’ analysis, were scattered through states in the lower Midwest and into the Southeast, as well as in the Southwest.

Tennessee had the most cities appear among the top 20 at four, including the worst-ranked city. In fact, Tennessee had 34 deadly crashes per 100,000 people in 2021, which is a significant increase compared to the national average of 12 deadly crashes per 100,000 people.

Topping out the list was Memphis. According to ConsumerAffairs, the majority of deadly crashes in Memphis are caused by bad driving, causing 203 deadly crashes in 2021 — more than any other city.

Tennessee’s three other cities on the list were Knoxville (12), Clarksville (17), and Chattanooga (19).

The 10 U.S. cities with the worst drivers, based on ConsumerAffairs’ analysis, were:

1. Memphis, Tennessee
2. Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3. Albuquerque, New Mexico
4. Macon, Georgia
5. St. Louis, Missouri
6. Cleveland, Ohio
7. Detroit, Michigan and Victorville, California (tied)
9. Hesperia, California
10. Rockford, Illinois

It wasn’t all bad. ConsumerAffairs also ranked the cities with the safest drivers, which were largely in Texas and California.

Topping out the list, though, was Green Bay, Wisconsin, a state that has often ranked as having some of the worst roads in the country.

The 10 cities with the safest drivers, according to ConsumerAffairs, were:

1. Green Bay, Wisconsin
2. Cary, North Carolina
3. Oxnard, California
4. Bellevue, Washington
5. McKinney, Texas
6. Lynn, Massachusetts
7. Glendale, California
8. Pearland, Texas
9. College Station, Texas
10. Henderson, Nevada

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/4100486-heres-where-americas-worst-drivers-are-found-study/

full list
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#1]
NY/NJ drivers stink, and I don't like them.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m shocked. Boston drivers have always been the worst
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Wisconsin is on there as safe because we have to drive 40MPH or less most of the time because of road construction or potholes.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t think anyone can drive anywhere anymore.

The stupid shit I witness on a daily basis is unbelievable. People get pissed at me because I call them out for being retarded.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I grew up in and learned to drive in Rockford, IL.

Them fuckers were nuts.

Charleston, SC. was pretty bad back in the 80's when I was stationed there, I thought they had put a contract out on me and were trying to make it look accidental.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#6]
There's worse driver than the ones in Massachusettes?
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Feel like you share the roadways with some dangerous drivers? A new study shows where that’s most likely to be the case.

The study by ConsumerAffairs reviewed crash data from the U.S. Department of Transportation and information included in the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System.

The site then ranked cities based on four factors: crash fatalities per 100,000 people, the number of fatalities (per 100,000 people) due to bad driving, positive blood alcohol content, and speeding. “Bad driving” included driving the wrong way in one-way traffic; failing to yield; aggressive and careless driving; making an improper turn; following improperly; inexperience operating; passing where prohibited; and improper or erratic lane changing.

Only cities with populations of 100,000 or more were reviewed by ConsumerAffairs.

Cities with the worst drivers, according to ConsumerAffairs’ analysis, were scattered through states in the lower Midwest and into the Southeast, as well as in the Southwest.

Tennessee had the most cities appear among the top 20 at four, including the worst-ranked city. In fact, Tennessee had 34 deadly crashes per 100,000 people in 2021, which is a significant increase compared to the national average of 12 deadly crashes per 100,000 people.

Topping out the list was Memphis. According to ConsumerAffairs, the majority of deadly crashes in Memphis are caused by bad driving, causing 203 deadly crashes in 2021 — more than any other city.

Tennessee’s three other cities on the list were Knoxville (12), Clarksville (17), and Chattanooga (19).

The 10 U.S. cities with the worst drivers, based on ConsumerAffairs’ analysis, were:

1. Memphis, Tennessee
4. Macon, Georgia
5. St. Louis, Missouri
6. Cleveland, Ohio
9. Hesperia, California
10. Rockford, Illinois

It wasn’t all bad. ConsumerAffairs also ranked the cities with the safest drivers, which were largely in Texas and California.

Topping out the list, though, was Green Bay, Wisconsin, a state that has often ranked as having some of the worst roads in the country.

1. Green Bay, Wisconsin
2. Cary, North Carolina
3. Oxnard, California
4. Bellevue, Washington
5. McKinney, Texas
6. Lynn, Massachusetts
7. Glendale, California
8. Pearland, Texas
10. Henderson, Nevada

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/4100486-heres-where-americas-worst-drivers-are-found-study/

full list
View Quote

Obviously, they've never spent time in Tucson, AZ.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Florida never gets credit….
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#11]
The fact that Vegas isn’t in the top 10 of worst and Henderson is in the top 10 of best just shows this list is BS. This place is filled with nothing but tards behind a wheel.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Florida man asks for a redo!
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#13]
How they don’t have Little Puerto Rico aka Kissimmee on that list is astonishing.

Simultaneously speeding, weaving and making their own on ramps to I-4 while the PR flags swings from the rear view mirror and bumping the worst music in all of Latin America.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Florida man asks for a redo!
View Quote

This, and they go full retard Oct through May.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quite shocking Texas had 3 cities in the Top 10. We're shitty drivers.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Fucking Cary

Bought and paid for stats.

ETA , Ok let me explain . The majority of the TOWN of Cary is 35 to 45mph . The majority of the TOWN in yankees . Thanks alot IBM. The citizens of that TOWN will lay on the fucking horn no matter what color the stoplight is. I 40 is TOWN limits to the north and east .I saw 3 wreaks 30 minutes ago,and Highway 64 and US 1 slice the middle.
Nope no wreaks there.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

1. Memphis, Tennessee
4. Macon, Georgia
5. St. Louis, Missouri
6. Cleveland, Ohio
9. Hesperia, California
10. Rockford, Illinois

1. Green Bay, Wisconsin
2. Cary, North Carolina
3. Oxnard, California
4. Bellevue, Washington
5. McKinney, Texas
6. Lynn, Massachusetts
7. Glendale, California
8. Pearland, Texas
10. Henderson, Nevada

full list
View Quote

Lol, Rockford. There is no real reason to go out there, save for a music venue and the speedway.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
NY/NJ drivers stink, and I don't like them.  
View Quote

The only reason they don't top the list is because all of the traffic forces them to drive a lower, less fatal speeds!
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

1. Green Bay, Wisconsin
2. Cary, North Carolina
3. Oxnard, California
4. Bellevue, Washington
5. McKinney, Texas
6. Lynn, Massachusetts
7. Glendale, California
8. Pearland, Texas
10. Henderson, Nevada

View Quote
You can't get over 30 mph in Lynn, MA even if you wanted to. No wonder it's low on fatalities.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#20]
The list is wrong as the top 10 are not all in Ohio.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#21]
LOL at fucking Oxnard...

Gauranteed there is more hood rat intersection take over bullshit in that shitty little town than anywhere within 50 miles of it.    Complete shithole of a coastal town.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Northern Virginia/MD have the worst.  Followed closely behind by eastern NC.

MD is the only place I’ve ever been passed ON THE SIDEWALK in a residential neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Only deadly crashes?
Not including fender benders and reckless drivers?

Attachment Attached File

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There's worse driver than the ones in Massachusettes?
View Quote

Lynn Massachusetts was 6th safest. You know how I know that survey is bullshit?
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You can't get over 30 mph in Lynn, MA even if you wanted to. No wonder it's low on fatalities.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Green Bay, Wisconsin
2. Cary, North Carolina
3. Oxnard, California
4. Bellevue, Washington
5. McKinney, Texas
6. Lynn, Massachusetts
7. Glendale, California
8. Pearland, Texas
10. Henderson, Nevada

Never been on the Lynnway ? C'mon man.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Bulls..t - Mass drivers have regularly earned the top spot.  I see no change in the future.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Albuquerque only at number 3 for the worst?  Shocking.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Disagree.

Boston drivers are pretty fucking skilled.

They know the road is for traveling.

Aggressively, they go about their day without regard to other driver's feelings.

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The list is wrong as the top 10 are not all in Ohio.
View Quote

I would say Indiana.

I liked the state, but absolute dogshit drivers.

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:. I’m shocked. Boston drivers have always been the worst
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Good old Albuquerque - best at what's worst and worst at what's best.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#32]
No left lane camper criteria?
Poll fail!
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Cary safer than Apex or Holly springs? And Rockford, IL used to have a nice Japanese garden.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Dumb criteria for "bad drivers".

But anyway, unless my understanding of the demographics of those cities at the top and bottom of the list are off......

Poor people drive like shit because of poor decision making. Who knew.

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Florida never gets credit .
View Quote
Illegals don't report. Neither do drunks that hit other drunks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Cary safer than Apex or Holly springs? And Rockford, IL used to have a nice Japanese garden.
View Quote

The Japanese gardens are still there, worth a stop if you're there already.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don’t think anyone can drive anywhere anymore.

The stupid shit I witness on a daily basis is unbelievable. People get pissed at me because I call them out for being retarded.
View Quote

At this point i support going to the German model, 2-3 years of driving school and $3k to get a license.

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How they don’t have Little Puerto Rico aka Kissimmee on that list is astonishing.

Simultaneously speeding, weaving and making their own on ramps to I-4 while the PR flags swings from the rear view mirror and bumping the worst music in all of Latin America.
View Quote

FACTS
this should be on the Driver’s Ed exam in Florida!

Along with:
How to avoid senile snowbirds camping in the left lane
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

They bypassed them on Highway 55.
They want to belong . Strangely stupid watching all this for 62 years.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Illegals don't report. Neither do drunks that hit other drunks.
View Quote

2 drunks clipping each other on SR60, no serious injuries = penalties offset.
Replay down

If 2 drunks on golf carts hit each other and 1 party suffers loss of Jimmy Buffett memorabilia, the offending party must buy an equal number of liquor shots to compensate
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#42]
In Louisiana the amount of shitty drivers state wide is mind blowing. The roads for the most part are third world.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:06:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

2 drunks clipping each other on SR60, no serious injuries = penalties offset.
Replay down

If 2 drunks on golf carts hit each other and 1 party suffers loss of Jimmy Buffett memorabilia, the offending party must buy an equal number of liquor shots to compensate
View Quote

Dont yall have villages down there ?
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

1. Memphis, Tennessee
4. Macon, Georgia
5. St. Louis, Missouri
6. Cleveland, Ohio
9. Hesperia, California
10. Rockford, Illinois

1. Green Bay, Wisconsin
2. Cary, North Carolina
3. Oxnard, California
4. Bellevue, Washington
5. McKinney, Texas
6. Lynn, Massachusetts
7. Glendale, California
8. Pearland, Texas
10. Henderson, Nevada

full list
View Quote

That is petty fucking bad if College Station, Texas made the top ten of safest drivers.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Dont yall have villages down there ?
View Quote
Yeah but it's not confined to the villages.  I'll be out at ten A.M. watching habitual booze hounds try to keep it on the road.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Macon, Ga?  Not surprised.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They bypassed them on Highway 55.
They want to belong . Strangely stupid watching all this for 62 years.
View Quote

Man, I feel for you.  I did a few years there and it's quickly turning into Virginia.  Still a nice area, but its going badly with all the transplants.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

The study is flawed. Anyone who has driven in Portland, OR can attest to the horrible driving precisely because they don't speed.

3-lane highway: Guy in right lane doing 10-15 under the limit; guy in middle lane doing 10 under the limit; guy in left lane doing 5-10 under the limit.

Add in the insane bicycle riders, and the roadways with a 25mph limit that anywhere else in the country would be 45 (yet the people of Portland still drive 20mph...).

I've lived and worked all over the country, and the place I hate driving the most in Portland, OR. Followed closely by Detroit (where I now live ).

ETA: When I lived in San Diego 20 years ago, I thought they were by far the best drivers in the country. As long as it wasn't raining.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Everyone is wrong.
The correct answer is Oregon. The worst drivers on the fucking planet.
The retardation of the average Oregon driver isn't quantifiable. These people drive so fucking bad they break the laws of physics.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Texas bitches!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top