Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/8/2023 11:56:55 AM EDT
This is an extreme example of not wanting to provide your personal info in situations that require it.

New customer, guy had never imported before. Shipper took care of all shipping and such, but while shipment was DDP (delivered duties paid), the importer of record was the US consignee (this happens rather frequently). Personal shipment of some machinery type stuff worth about $8K, in addition to shipping costs.

Importer guy didn’t want to provide his SS# which is required. He signed the power of attorney (required document authorizing us to interact with CBP on his behalf), but left EIN/SS# blank. Also didn’t want to provide a copy of DL or passport, also required as we have to verify identity of who we’re clearing for.

Because he didn’t want to provide that info, we couldn’t clear the shipment. Guy didn’t want to provide it to anyone. He actually indicated he was going to abandon the shipment because he didn’t want to provide that info.

So he’s out $8K for the cargo value, plus shipping cost.

Moral of the story is: if you don’t want to provide your personal info for legit reasons, don’t import anything over $2500. Formal (type 01) entries require this info. Informal entries (type 11) under $2500 do not require this.

Just a PSA from the resident Arfcom customer broker and the resident mermaid.

ETA: Under $2500 thing is if it comes in via mail. If a broker clears it, still need the POA and info.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Assuming what you're importing can be broken up, any rules against multiple shipments below the threshold?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm curious, what happens to the abandoned cargo? Guy paid for the item(s) and shipping, and now it's just sitting stateside in limbo?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#3]
So what was it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Yet another reason that our govt fucking sucks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Gotta be some reason why the guy didn't want his identifying information tied to that shipment.  "Machine parts" used to be code for firearm stuff.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I understand you just follow the rules, but that rule sounds uber gay. I say good for him for burning the $8k on principle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm curious, what happens to the abandoned cargo? Guy paid for the item(s) and shipping, and now it's just sitting stateside in limbo?
View Quote

I'm wondering too.  Does it go to auction as unclaimed freight?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#8]
His CIA/AFT handler gonna be so mad when they find out the machine parts didn't make it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Can he legally assign someone else to pick it up for him so they provide their info? If not, can he sell it before it clears so the new owner deals with it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully he drilled holes in the can so the whores don't suffocate.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Assuming what you're importing can be broken up, any rules against multiple shipments below the threshold?
View Quote

That is called structuring and is a serious crime.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is an extreme example of not wanting to provide your personal info in situations that require it.

New customer, guy had never imported before. Shipper took care of all shipping and such, but while shipment was DDP (delivered duties paid), the importer of record was the US consignee (this happens rather frequently). Personal shipment of some machinery type stuff worth about $8K, in addition to shipping costs.

Importer guy didn’t want to provide his SS# which is required. He signed the power of attorney (required document authorizing us to interact with CBP on his behalf), but left EIN/SS# blank. Also didn’t want to provide a copy of DL or passport, also required as we have to verify identity of who we’re clearing for.

Because he didn’t want to provide that info, we couldn’t clear the shipment. Guy didn’t want to provide it to anyone. He actually indicated he was going to abandon the shipment because he didn’t want to provide that info.

So he’s out $8K for the cargo value, plus shipping cost.

Moral of the story is: if you don’t want to provide your personal info for legit reasons, don’t import anything over $2500. Formal (type 01) entries require this info. Informal entries (type 11) under $2500 do not require this.

Just a PSA from the resident Arfcom customer broker and the resident mermaid.

ETA: Under $2500 thing is if it comes in via mail. If a broker clears it, still need the POA and info.
View Quote

That is a man who needs an LLC.
I would just use my fed tax number.  But then I would not import something .gov would care about.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And how do we place a bid?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#14]
He probably doesn't have one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Cartel
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#16]
What's in the box?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Chinese Glock switches and fuel filters is my guess.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Gotta be some reason why the guy didn't want his identifying information tied to that shipment.  "Machine parts" used to be code for firearm stuff.
View Quote

no there doesn't.  None of us should want our identifying info tied to any activities, especially with the government.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What's in the box?
View Quote

Yah, turn this into a safe thread
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Does a fake SS number work?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I wonder what the US Constitution says about the federal governments involvement with imports.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

no there doesn't.  None of us should want our identifying info tied to any activities, especially with the government.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s the William Rhenquist “if you’re not doing anything illegal then you should’t care” line, used to justify any and every government intrusion and turn it around on those who are sick of it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wonder what the US Constitution says about the federal governments involvement with imports.
View Quote

It's one of the specifically granted powers actually.

The U.S. Constitution states in Article I, Section 8 that “The Congress shall have the Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Machine parts, the knockout gas used in Goldfinger was snuck across the border in a package labled as machine parts...
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#25]
May have had a tax issue.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Absolutely nothing about the level of bullshit described here.

I’m importing an $8K widget, here’s my duty payment.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Basically my question as well.   As long as it is not 123 45 6789, is there a check to see if valid?

I wanted to beat the shit out of a FedEx freight shipping hub years ago because I did a will call for a hood for my car.

They wanted the fucking license plate number from my truck before they would release.   Told them they already have a copy of my drivers license, who the fuck cares what vehicle came to pick it up.   Told them it is a fiber glass hood and I want to Yurtle The Turtle it back to my house on foot, why the fuck should they care.

Damn near told them to fuck off and just make the delivery to the address since me trying to save them time is such a giant fucking concern.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Setting up a simple LLC (or S-Corp) is pretty cheap... I'd rather give out my EIN than my SSN.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you think our import laws suck try dealing with another county.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I understand you just follow the rules, but that rule sounds uber gay. I say good for him for burning the $8k on principle.
View Quote

If it’s a company, they provide their EIN. Everything is tied to that with imports.

This is required. All your imports are tied to EIN. Individuals, SS#.

The LCL consol warehouse will turn the shipment over to CBP when it goes General Order when it’s not cleared within 15 days after arrival. It will eventually be auctioned off.

I have no idea what’s in the shipment. It’s sitting at a consol warehouse on the west coast.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Basically my question as well.   As long as it is not 123 45 6789, is there a check to see if valid?

I wanted to beat the shit out of a FedEx freight shipping hub years ago because I did a will call for a hood for my car.

They wanted the fucking license plate number from my truck before they would release.   Told them they already have a copy of my drivers license, who the fuck cares what vehicle came to pick it up.   Told them it is a fiber glass hood and I want to Yurtle The Turtle it back to my house on foot, why the fuck should they care.

Damn near told them to fuck off and just make the delivery to the address since me trying to save them time is such a giant fucking concern.
View Quote

I have to query any SS# or EIN# with CBP’s system to see if it’s already on file before I submit the electronic 5106. If something isn’t formatted correctly, it will reject.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then you shouldn’t import. Period.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Any clue when this crate of FAL kits is going to auction?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Some machinery-type stuff.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Should have just used FBHO’s number.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CBP regs require a POA in hand before a broker can clear a shipment. Either EIN or SS#. If you’re a foreign company serving as IOR, then CBP will assign you a number to use in lieu of EIN.

The amount of crap I have to go through to get shit into the country astounds the average person.

I spent this morning arguing with CBP that two reefers of chocolate candy temp controlled at 64F that are flagged for an enforcement exam (and x-Ray exam first) have to be devanned at a temp control facility, otherwise the cargo will be destroyed. They finally got that I was serious when I sent them a copy of the BOL for the 3rd time showing what the genset was set at. Otherwise, they would have taken the two containers to a regular warehouse and the cargo would have been destroyed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#37]

The shipment docs do show machinery. Commercial invoice, packing list, and BOL all show machinery.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If it’s a company, they provide their EIN. Everything is tied to that with imports.

The LCL consol warehouse will turn the shipment over to CBP when it goes General Order when it’s not cleared within 15 days after arrival. It will eventually be auctioned off.

I have no idea what’s in the shipment. It’s sitting at a consol warehouse on the west coast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Road trip!
Attachment Attached File

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Setting up a simple LLC (or S-Corp) is pretty cheap... I'd rather give out my EIN than my SSN.
View Quote
It wouldn't surprise me if the reason he isn't incorporated is also the same reason that he didn't want to provide an SS. On the plus side, someone may get a great deal on an industrial tablet press at auction.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

CBP regs require a POA in hand before a broker can clear a shipment. Either EIN or SS#. If you’re a foreign company serving as IOR, then CBP will assign you a number to use in lieu of EIN.

The amount of crap I have to go through to get shit into the country astounds the average person.

I spent this morning arguing with CBP that two reefers of chocolate candy temp controlled at 64F that are flagged for an enforcement exam (and x-Ray exam first) have to be devanned at a temp control facility, otherwise the cargo will be destroyed. They finally got that I was serious when I sent them a copy of the BOL for the 3rd time showing what the genset was set at. Otherwise, they would have taken the two containers to a regular warehouse and the cargo would have been destroyed.
View Quote

Mmmm... Chocolate reefers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#41]
It's actually super informative to get a window into how all this works. Aside from the liquid assets which can be turned into crypto in one nation and then re-exchanged for local currency in Minecraft, there are certain durable goods that many people on this site find value in which might be hard to get across international borders. Especially  if one had to uproot and settle in a new country. Or Minecraft. Worth thinking about, thanks @Marie .
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That is called structuring and is a serious crime.
View Quote

It's called that in finance, and what I immediately thought of.  It is not necessarily a universal rule. So I asked.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. Sounds suspicious
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Naught naught naught, naught naught, naught naught naught two."
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am an above-average person, and it disgusts me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#46]
"Machine parts" can also be cover for something else.

When I mailed some silver back to APMEX, the standard cover story for why such a small box is so damn heavy is "Machine Parts". Also explains the need for the insurance.

Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#47]
If I give you my SS# can I have the shipment?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. That's the answer. He just shouldn't import. It's his fault there is an impenetrable thicket of bureaucratic nonsense.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
His CIA/AFT handler gonna be so mad when they find out the machine parts didn't make it.
View Quote
Shit they have shell companies for that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mexico, as an example.  Or Canuckistan.  All of them suck really.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top