Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/29/2024 3:22:39 PM EDT
GLOBAL FORCE 2024   US Army Futures Command head Gen. James Rainey today teased some details of the Army's highly anticipated tactical fires study   and made it clear that towed artillery's future isn't bright.

"I personally believe that we have witnessed the end of the effectiveness of towed artillery: The future is not bright for towed artillery," Rainey told an audience today at the Association of the US Army's Global Force symposium. Looking at large scale operations against threats like China, the US Army instead needs mobile, indirect fires, especially in its lighter Stryker formations, he added.
View Quote

https://breakingdefense.com/2024/03/towed-artillery-has-reached-end-of-the-effectiveness-army-four-star-declares/?amp=1
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#1]
"People cause trouble. Drone better."
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Wars of the future will move too fast for the old tactic of fire bases. Just look at the past 20 years.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wars of the future will move too fast for the old tactic of fire bases. Just look at the past 20 years.
View Quote

Just like trenches were a WW1 thing........
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot and scoot or die.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#5]
All you have to do is watch footage of the ware in Ukraine to realize hes not wrong.  Just like technology surpassed the usefulness of fixed naval fortification artillery technology will do the same for towed versions as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I think thats gonna depend on the conflict. if you can set up a FOB and not worry about counter battery then a towed piece that can be fairly stagnant probably makes a lot of sense. But in a world where counter battery fire is fairly rapid i would imagine a self propelled system that can shoot and scoot is the preferred package. but those new systems are pricey AF.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't see towed artillery emplacements faring well against drone attacks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But aren't they using trenches in Ukraine?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Can I buy a surplus artillery gun then?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#10]
We are certainly watching warfare change and the only thing I know for sure about it is that it is going to cost us a lot of money to keep up with the changes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can I buy a surplus artillery gun then?
View Quote

Circus cannons on our southern border would be good...
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#12]
One drone to rule them all
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We are certainly watching warfare change and the only thing I know for sure about it is that it is going to cost us a lot of money to keep up with the changes.
View Quote

Money, men and materiel.
Lots and lots of it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The end of the civil war included trench warfare, also.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Set up good EW. Towed is for defending your trenches. Shoot and scoot is for taking out their towed and other assets. Have good EW.
Have good EW.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

That and we will likely be able to experience it, first hand in real time.
Fun for all ages.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Towed artillery has only one thing going for it, it's cheap, and even that is only if you consider equipment and not personnel costs. Otherwise it's slower to emplace and displace, requires a large crew, and has a fairly short range. A HIMARS battery has around 75 people for 8 launchers. An EAB M777 cannon battery has about the same number of people for 4 tubes. The long term cost of all those extra personnel to man half as many platforms is substantial.

Wheeled or tracked cannon will be the only ones to survive. The crew requirement is lower and they're more maneuverable, while maintaining the capability to shoot large numbers of cheaper unguided rounds for suppression at shorter ranges.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They could be using swords and riding horses but that doesn't mean it's still the most effective way to try to win a war.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Towed artillery has only one thing going for it, it's cheap, and even that is only if you consider equipment and not personnel costs. Otherwise it's slower to emplace and displace, requires a large crew, and has a fairly short range. A HIMARS battery has around 75 people for 8 launchers. An EAB M777 cannon battery has about the same number of people for 4 tubes. The long term cost of all those extra personnel to man half as many platforms is substantial.

Wheeled or tracked cannon will be the only ones to survive. The crew requirement is lower and they're more maneuverable, while maintaining the capability to shoot large numbers of cheaper unguided rounds for suppression at shorter ranges.
View Quote

Ah you are doing math wrong. Now do it in 2024 terms. M777 is a whole lot better looking asset because it is easy to make and produce and the ammo is CHEAP.
You cant lob himars at the same rate as 155mm ammo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I can't see towed artillery emplacements faring well against drone attacks.
View Quote

Towed Aegis or Iron Fist?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#21]
"You fight a war with the tools you have."

Donald Rumsfeld

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One drone to rule them all
View Quote

Throw in AI will add a big question mark to the future of warfare...
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ah you are doing math wrong. Now do it in 2024 terms. M777 is a whole lot better looking asset because it is easy to make and produce and the ammo is CHEAP.
View Quote

There’s no reassign you can’t use an unguided projectile from a an MRL. Well HIMARS has some potential issues because it’s unstable but there’s always MLRS.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There’s no reassign you can’t use an unguided projectile from a an MRL. Well HIMARS has some potential issues because it’s unstable but there’s always MLRS.
View Quote

Again this comes down to the economics of production cost, volume and logistics of usage.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Soldiers will always seek and/or build cover. Trenches are a natural result of 2 near peer militaries colliding. Towed artillery isn't mobile enough in the drone age. The comparison is silly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think thats gonna depend on the conflict. if you can set up a FOB and not worry about counter battery then a towed piece that can be fairly stagnant probably makes a lot of sense. But in a world where counter battery fire is fairly rapid i would imagine a self propelled system that can shoot and scoot is the preferred package. but those new systems are pricey AF.
View Quote

Is there a way to throw off counterbattery effectiveness finding points of origin through RAP rounds or something?

Not an arty guy, but seems like declaring "x is obsolete" usually ends up nuanced.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#27]
FOBs and Firebases have not ever been front line tools in nerar-peer conflicts.

They're really good for ongoing occupations.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#28]
They are  only necessary when you need your fire support where there are no roads, like on the top of a mountain, in the middle of a jungle or deep into enemy territory following a vertical envelopment

The General is also forgetting parallel developments into IAMD and CUAS.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#29]
soon artillery will be paired with microwave and or laser drone area denial weapons. For the most part we are giving Ukrainians 70's 80's and 90's technology.
Microwave and laser area denial vehicles are already here.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Is there a way to throw off counterbattery effectiveness finding points of origin through RAP rounds or something?

Not an arty guy, but seems like declaring "x is obsolete" usually ends up nuanced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Soldiers will always seek and/or build cover. Trenches are a natural result of 2 near peer militaries colliding. Towed artillery isn't mobile enough in the drone age. The comparison is silly.

See bold.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#32]

This now can be done my UAV
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#33]
UAVs have the momentum right now. I don't think they will maintain dominance as counter drone technogly develops and matures.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#34]
So no Airborne cannons? That's fucking stupid and so is relying on 120's

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This now can be done my UAV
View All Quotes

Really?I have no heard that. That's be a good idea.

Manned Helicopters use up tons of manpower and maintenance hours.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fire bases are a concept for COIN.  The maneuver warfare of WWII moved too fast for fire bases.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

if you have a mobile gun that is as effective, you can park it in an FOB and shoot and scoot when required.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

We dont have one that can lift an m777 YET but we can make one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The more direct comparison would be M777 vs M109.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not an artillertman, but I was an electronics tech while I was Navy, and I'm a physicist now... It depends on how complete your radar coverage is. If you can detect the shell within seconds of it leaving the tube, no amount of fuckery is going to help. Otherwise, rocket assist, etc will be helpful in complicating trajectory analysis.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah OK.

Thought I was out of the loop on something.

That'd be like some Command and Conquer or Starcraft RTS shit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Ah OK.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah OK.

Fuck it, lets get some SC carriers already, though I'm not sure if we have enough pylons.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s interesting - in less than a century, the people in the crew have gone from the least expensive, to the most expensive part of a weapons system.
(Or second most expensive, considering the electronics suite in some systems).
Do large vehicle mounted mortars make any sense at all, any more?  The actual cost of the tube is trivial, compared to the vehicle and crew (for first world armies).
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:37:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ah OK.

View Quote

Yeah im going by swag here. Blackhawk can just about lift it. Strip all the human shit out of the equation.
Any engineers here? Lifting 4000 kilograms lets say 50 kilometers? Better to use electric drone or helicopter turbine?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It’s interesting - in less than a century, the people in the crew have gone from the least expensive, to the most expensive part of a weapons system.
(Or second most expensive, considering the electronics suite in some systems).
Do large vehicle mounted mortars make any sense at all, any more?  The actual cost of the tube is trivial, compared to the vehicle and crew (for first world armies).
View Quote

If they can be easily dismounted? Absolutely.
Even mounted its cheap to operate, keep shooting and scooting. Small enough makes it easier to conceal.

In Ukraine type warfare you can even simllify things by making "bins" of ammo that can be pulled into the vehicle fast in one go to keep moving and prevent return artillery fire or drone attacks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah im going by swag here. Blackhawk can just about lift it. Strip all the human shit out of the equation.
Any engineers here? Lifting 4000 kilograms lets say 50 kilometers? Better to use electric drone or helicopter turbine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah OK.

'Cuz drones don't or cant use other forms of propulsion.....

"The Reaper has a 950-shaft-horsepower (712 kW) turboprop engine (compared to the Predator's 115 hp (86 kW) piston engine)."
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Until you're at war.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

'Cuz drones don't or cant use other forms of propulsion.....

"The Reaper has a 950-shaft-horsepower (712 kW) turboprop engine (compared to the Predator's 115 hp (86 kW) piston engine)."
View Quote

Well I am ASSuming you need a turbine engine because you will need a lot of compact ass to move 4000 kilograms
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top