Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/11/2024 10:49:40 PM EDT
Those little Subarus with lift kits look like they would be fun.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like fun, until you cross the line.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a guy at my work with an early Subaru, a Forester I think, that has a small lift. That thing is sweet.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have to ask.....
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I had one. 2014 MT on BFG KO2s.  Surprisingly capable off road. Would idle up a 20° incline...in reverse. Stupid amount of room in the engine bay. Wasn't hard to work on...design made sense.  No transverse engine, 4 CV axles.  It didn't get stuck because it was too goddamn light to bog down.

If it had a hundred more horsepower i'd still have it. Damn thing made a Toyota 22Re look like an LS.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The Crosstrek is basically an Impreza with a lift-kit. Are you going to lift the lifted Impreza?

In any event, Subarus are one of at least two things I agree with lesbians on.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Absolutely
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Crosstrek is basically an Impreza with a lift-kit. Are you going to lift the lifted Impreza?

In any event, Subarus are one of at least two things I agree with lesbians on.
View Quote

I took over the wife's 2018 Impreza after mine got totalled. We bought her a Crosstrek, I was waiting until I hit 100k on mine to lift, it got totaled at 106k. Now I am starting over at 50k, gonna be a few years.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife drives one, it's a great vehicle. We will trade it in for the 2025 wilderness.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you like gladiator movies?

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:30:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 19 MT, and I do like it except the engine…it is a dog. No passing power at all. Still, 31ish MPG is pretty hard to argue with, and I agree that a lift would be sweet. If I had to do it over, I’d probably get the Forester, but I’m still happy with the Crosstrek.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Great cars.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:43:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Broverlanders drive those.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Enjoy doing spark plugs and top up oil. God help you if it's direct injected.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Make sure you don't drive it through mud.

Go to 10:20.

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Has Subaru gained a customer?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I had one. 2014 MT on BFG KO2s.  Surprisingly capable off road. Would idle up a 20° incline...in reverse. Stupid amount of room in the engine bay. Wasn't hard to work on...design made sense.  No transverse engine, 4 CV axles.  It didn't get stuck because it was too goddamn light to bog down.

If it had a hundred more horsepower i'd still have it. Damn thing made a Toyota 22Re look like an LS.
View Quote

Subaru is dangerously under powered. My aunt has a legacy which makes my 38 year old mini truck look fast. It's so slow I am nervous to get on to a highway with it. There is no way it makes it to highway speeds on an on ramp and no way it can accelerate out of trouble.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I want the Forester "wilderness" model.  It has a better clearance, lower gearing, and other offroad goodies.  My current Forester is a fine vehicle.  The wilderness would be even better.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Had a 2014, great size, but no insulation behind the thin sheet metal.  Hoping the new ones are better.  In the rain my roof pinged like a 1960’s F150 with no headliner.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Had a 2014, great size, but no insulation behind the thin sheet metal.  Hoping the new ones are better.  In the rain my roof pinged like a 1960’s F150 with no headliner.
View Quote

Get a Honda or Toyota for more creature comfort.  Unfortunately, you will also get a mediocre AWD system.  You pays yer munny and you takes yer chances.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I put an Ironman 2" lift on my Forester.  It's a great car.

ETA: The newer models have much improved insulation and sound deadening.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:19:50 AM EDT
[#23]
When we moved to live on a mountain we swapped my wife's Fit for a Crosstrek. I had a JKU so
I was good.

After a couple years the Crosstrek managed 95% of what the Jeep did, anything it couldn't do was related to
traction and tires, an upgrade there got it to 99%. It's a surprisingly capable vehicle -- enough that when
my Jeep's engine began to act up, I went to test drive a new Crosstrek as a potential replacement.

Then I test drove the Outback Wilderness with the turbo engine, as did my wife.

We came home with a couple Outback Wildernesses.

I do like the look of lifted Crosstreks, but pure OEM with an extra 100HP made the Outback Wilderness a winner,
though it takes some getting used to after owning a jeep for the past 35 years.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:20:37 AM EDT
[#24]
I hope you like the smell of pussy OP
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:33:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOqgSvx5rjw
View Quote

That looked more like and indian and not the arrow problem to me, and his advice about using the throttle is
spot on especially in a subaru, because the subie's x-mode depends on managing the power input -- no power,
no real help from the computer controls.

We navigate ours through ice and mud pretty much every day from early winter to late spring.

It was pretty silly to drive into that level of mud, though, especially alone.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:41:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Oh look! OP wants to be a FAGGOT!

I heard they are gutless
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:43:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Wife has a crosstrek wilderness. Her 2nd crosstrek, I had a impreza before so we have had 3 subarus now and no issues.

Mine was a 2.0 and was gutless. Both of the crosstreks are 2.5s and much much better.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:51:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOqgSvx5rjw
View Quote

Saw the episode when it aired...there isn't a passenger car, crossover or many stock trucks if any that would perform well in that shit. The mud in Hurricane is special shit sauce and if you aren't familiar, it did just fine.
We bought our daughter a 2023 last year for a college graduation gift and she loved it in the deep snow and on the ice this winter. I've driven it a few times and thought it is a solid AWD.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I've been on a couple trail rides with lifted Crosstreks. The lack of ground clearance, 4wd low, and suspension travel did not make me a fan of them.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This gent was smart and removed his front bumper. He burned out his clutch on a 4 hour trail ride.  
Attachment Attached File

If you are looking to go off road, get a Toyota 4Runner, Tacoma, or a Jeep.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:11:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:14:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I love my ‘24 Outback XT.  If you want one, get it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:15:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Ive seen subarus with lifts/tires try to climb and do small obstacles alongside stock jeeps.

Looks great on paper, but those cars just dont have the gearing for climbs or articulation for anything beyond mild trails.

Great for forest service roads though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:21:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've been on a couple trail rides with lifted Crosstreks. The lack of ground clearance, 4wd low, and suspension travel did not make me a fan of them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Subi_JPG-3185550.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Subaru1_jpg-3185551.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Subaru2_jpg-3185552.JPG

This gent was smart and removed his front bumper. He burned out his clutch on a 4 hour trail ride.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Subaru_JPG-3185554.JPG

If you are looking to go off road, get a Toyota 4Runner, Tacoma, or a Jeep.

View Quote

Neat pic's...!!!

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:29:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

One of the changes for 2015+ was to add more insulation/sound deadening to the car, and slightly thicker glass to help with sound abatement...

I had a 2015 and a 2020 I think it was - both were great; the 2015 I put some Sparco wheels and KO2s on; it looked awesome. It accelerated like a truck in a granny gear going uphill pulling a freight train. I got it as a manual transmission car since the manual outperformed the CVT, appreciably...and that still wasn't enough. It was criminally underpowered. 50 more horsepower would have made it tolerable I figure...

On the upshot though, you get really good at learning how to drive a manual and planning your overtakes and gear changes

I don't know that I'd use one as a true off road vehicle but as a small runabout or some general trail riding (not super technical, just basic logging trails) they'd be fine I think...
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:30:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Not turning.  
You were lesbo the whole time.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:07:57 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a 21 with a 2" lift and Wildpeak AT3's. It will go 90% of the places my Jeep will go, is a lot more comfortable to drive, and gets twice the mileage.

I really like my Subaru.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:12:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Maybe not lesbian, but certainly trans.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:14:36 AM EDT
[#38]
I drive a Crosstrek as my daily driver, and honestly I see more dudes driving it then women.

Crosstreks are honestly a kinda jack of all trade car that can do a lot of things while not excelling in any particular area, which honestly is why I drive one.

Decent gas mileage
small turning radius
AWD that can get you home if inclimate weather shows up. Its also good enough to use on forest service roads to get you out in the wilderness for a decent day hike or short camping trip.
Big enough that you can carry a decent sized load of groceries, even long guns in pelicans if you put one of the rear seats down.
Small enough that your wife/gf/SO probably won't ask you to do a costco trip while your out and about (It doesn't carry that much)
The 2.5L engine ameliorated its weakest link which was lack of horsepower. Yeah, it could probably do with a little more, but its not a slug anymore.

Also if you live in western oregon or washington you can hide from the cops pretty well if they don't have your plates.  Cause if the cops get a request to look for a  "X colored crosstrek" every cop around has like two of them in immediate line of sight and will get passed by a third if they try to pull one over.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:17:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Subaru makes a good car.  Most reliable, low maintenance, solid car I owned.  2011 Legacy w/ 6sp manual and premium package.  Last year for the manual transmission and Legacy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Dont do it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#42]
I plan on lifting my Outback at some point soon.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:20:37 AM EDT
[#43]
I got my wife a Wilderness edition Crosstrek and it was a little beast in the snow this winter. She is totally in love with it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Always wished they had a WRX/STi version of the Crosstrek.

Like a Ford Raptor version, basically.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#45]
I like.  Mainly for looks.  Would be a great mtn west road vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It looks like fun, until you cross the line.
View Quote

And what? Start eating pussy?

The horror!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Bought one when they were still named XV Crosstrek.  I liked the look, but chiefly because it was one of the few cars left that actually came standard with (what was once) the standard transmission; a manual one.

Not sure if that's even offered anymore .
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I plan on lifting my Outback at some point soon.
View Quote

This is my plan eventually.  3.6 has a lot of power but I've never seen 27 mpg it is rated for.  

In its current form it climbs hills better than my Silverado or my old Tahoe which had great hill climbing capabilities.  Just needs a 2 inch lift and more aggressive tires and it would be perfect.  

I do like eating pussy so I must have turned lesbian at some point......
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I drive a Crosstrek as my daily driver, and honestly I see more dudes driving it then women.

Crosstreks are honestly a kinda jack of all trade car that can do a lot of things while not excelling in any particular area, which honestly is why I drive one.

Decent gas mileage
small turning radius
AWD that can get you home if inclimate weather shows up. Its also good enough to use on forest service roads to get you out in the wilderness for a decent day hike or short camping trip.
Big enough that you can carry a decent sized load of groceries, even long guns in pelicans if you put one of the rear seats down.
Small enough that your wife/gf/SO probably won't ask you to do a costco trip while your out and about (It doesn't carry that much)
The 2.5L engine ameliorated its weakest link which was lack of horsepower. Yeah, it could probably do with a little more, but its not a slug anymore.

Also if you live in western oregon or washington you can hide from the cops pretty well if they don't have your plates.  Cause if the cops get a request to look for a  "X colored crosstrek" every cop around has like two of them in immediate line of sight and will get passed by a third if they try to pull one over.  
View Quote

The main reasons I sold my first one - the 5 speed was "meh" and it didn't have a whole lot of cargo room, I couldn't get it with a sun/moonroof, and jesus was it a gutless wonder...but other than that it was pretty comfortable, got good mileage, and went everywhere I wanted to go.

I sold it and got a Subaru Legacy, with the 3.6...that thing had some get up and go for sure, and I loved it dearly...but it had no ground clearance and I live in a rural area with farm roads/dirt roads/rutted roads all around...it kept bottom out and scraping. Cargo room was pretty good for a car but not great. So I sold that, and got another Crosstrek because I couldn't remember why I sold my first one

Main reasons I sold my second one - again lack of power, couldn't get it with a sun/moonroof, and lack of cargo room. I didn't want to keep my rear seats down all the time since just about every single weekend I was going to the range for a while there, and I needed the whole rear just to cart around all the range gear and rifles...I was basically using it as a 2 seat AWD station wagon, except half the cargo area was in clear view...honestly I would have been better served by an Outback but I really wanted a manual

I wound up selling it for a 2022 4runner and man am I glad I made that jump. I really still want a manual, but the cargo room is worlds better, it's got slighly better ground clearance, it's just as comfortable (for me) inside the cabin, and...I'VE GOT A MOONROOF. After not having one for so long in my life, I love it

Funnily enough btw, Canadian trim levels let you get a moonroof on a Crosstrek with a manual...but not in the US. In the US it was only an option on cars with the CVT. Sigh.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:44:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Great cars but I’d recommend an Outback XT.
DD a 15 WRX, just got the wife a new 24 Outback XT. Was waiting until the 3.6 was ditched. The XT pulls better than you would think. Ignore the haters. They had to pay $10-$15k more a similar car
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top