Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/5/2016 5:51:36 AM EDT
Id like to know what works best for different people.
1) If you do so, what gun do you keep in your car trunk?
2)What is the logic behind choosing that specific gun and how much ammo do you keep for it?
3)Do you carry another weapon as your CCW?
Thanks
FerFAL
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:56:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't leave a gun in my car anymore. I've had my car broken into three times in the last two years. If that wasn't enough I have a couple kids. I can't drive around armed to the teeth like Mad Max anymore. I carry a CCW on my person and avoid places I don't think I can carry without getting arrested. But I don't leave anything in my car anymore.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:00:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't leave a gun in my car anymore. I've had my car broken into three times in the last two years. If that wasn't enough I have a couple kids. I can't drive around armed to the teeth like Mad Max anymore. I carry a CCW on my person and avoid places I don't think I can carry without getting arrested. But I don't leave anything in my car anymore.
View Quote

Thanks. Given recent events, it goes without saying that any gun kept in a vehicle should be well secured. A locked container is mandatory if you have kids.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:28:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry a CCW if I've pants on.
I keep a 12 gauge pump in the truck along with a B.O.B. for two. and 50 rds of buck.
rational? every PD vehicle has buck shot in it if TSHTF and I needed more and shotgun in a vehicle seems to be legal in Most states out side of the I95
corridor north of the M/D line.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:40:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I have installed safes in both our cars. Mine and my wife's. One Ft. Knox and a Titan. Each has a handgun.  Both are accessible from the driver's seat.

My wife's is a Walther P99 compact because that's what fits in the safe! Mine is my CCW that I can't bring in to work- yet, a Walther PPS. Slim. I like that.

Thanks to our NY State fuhrer, we have 10 round magazines, until recently loaded with seven (7) rounds.

Three magazines and the one in the pistol. One holster each, just in case.

Get home bags in the trunk.

One interesting thing I did was to get small squares of Kevlar from Bullet Proof Me to line the safes, just in case of an accidental discharge when handling the pistols. Keep your passengers safe.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:06:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Mainly CCW with a Springfield XDM, spare mag on me and one under the dash. I used to carry a Sig PM400 AR pistol with 3 mags, green tips, and Fiocchi 42 grain blue tips but with break ins I tend to leave it at home, though with the climate of late I may start carrying it again. Wife just carries her SW 9mm on her.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#6]
G23
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:51:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Glock 19

First
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#8]
No car.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I carry a G42 in cargo shorts, but grab a slightly larger sling bag than the one  shown when I head out with the car... new bag has a little more room for the trauma supplies and an additional Israeli bandage.... G17 with light, and Surefire 6P with Malkoff module... couple of extra mags

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#10]
SKS because I won't miss it too much if it gets stolen.  

Small 13 shot 9mm in my pocket (but not too small to shoot accurately!).  (It's +/- 100 degrees here about 6 months of the year so pocket carry is preferred.)

CHL (Concealed Handgun License) in my wallet.

I live in a dangerous TX county that has more illegal aliens, drug cartel smugglers and Mexican hit-men living here, visiting or passing through than anywhere else in the USA!   My next door neighbor has had his vehicle broken into 2x recently, and he's a police officer!  Plus 3 other B&E's within 100 feet of my home in the past 2 months. (Maybe my extra bright spotlights keep the bad guys away from my home?)  And last but not least, in the past month there has been a murder and six people shot and wounded all within walking distance of my home and I live in a nice new subdivision.  Almost all crime here is committed by Mex illegals that are NOT being kept out of the USA at the border,  nor are most being deported when stopped or arrested after they get in.  The national media intentionally ignores the serious crimes illegals commit, so you folks in other areas have no idea how bad it is here now.

ADDENDUM:  An American was abducted near my house a week or two ago by two Mexican Cartel bad guys, taken across the border into Mexico and held for ransom.  He was one of the few that the Mex cops were able to rescue. Most are never heard from again.  The Tex-Mex border area is a really dangerous place, thanks to the gutless politicians from both parties in DC.

Vote for TRUMP!
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I EDC an XD45 and always carry a reload.

I keep a small .22 auto pistol in the GHB.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Unless I'm sleeping or in pajamas, I'm carrying an M&P9 FS w/1 reload.  My truck has a console vault with an identical M&P, plus an emergency bag with 2 more reloads.

In true arfcom fashion, that's 87 rounds of speer gold dot goodness.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Whatever I've got on my person. A car is a thief magnet. If they want to get something in your car, they'll get it, only a matter of time.
If I do go into very questionable areas, which would be almost never these days, either a Sub2k (hope to replace that with a CZ scorpion or PSA 9mm soon) or a Mossberg 500 in 12ga under the back seat of the truck. The wife claimed my G42 and she's got that on her most of the time. So between the 2 of us, we should be ok. The AR's seldom leave the property these days. The less people know about them, the better, in my opinion. If I had to take an AR, it would be my 300blk pistol with 10" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#14]
In my Z-71, G19 loaded in the center console with 3 spare mags.  Mossberg 590A1 all weather under the rear seat with a 25 rd. shell belt of mixed 00/#4 buckshot.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got a shelf in the back of my trunk that's about 6" tall / 26" wide. Would be a good spot for a discrete case of some sort.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Just what's on me all the time, a Glock 19 concealed.  A beater 12 or 20 gauge in the trunk wouldn't be a bad idea and I've considered that.  But honestly if I'm at the car, keys in hand, I've either got time to leave or I've got no time at all and have to fight with the pistol.  So a long gun might be pointless.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an LCP in my pocket with a 7 round reload at all times and my trusty G23 with 2 reloads in a lock box under the console of my truck. As a painting contractor, it's hard to carry any more than an LCP. I am hours from home a few days a week, so 15 rounds of 380 may be somewhat comforting, but having a .40 SW supplement is nice.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:09:43 AM EDT
[#18]
stag m4 in trunk.  9mm xdm in glove box.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:18:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Sig P228 or Glock 19 stashed in the car for firepower, usually have a Kahr CW380 in my front pocket. I'm a firm believer in situational awareness and staying out of areas which are bad.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#20]
My car gun is a Glock 26 w/a G19 mag and grip adapter in an Incog holster.

The 26 fits perfectly in a slot in my center console and the G19 mag with the adapter obviously extends its capacity and improves the grip length.

The Incog makes it easy to grab-n-go.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I carry an AK in my truck. In each of the "door pockets" I have a two cell Comblock magazine pouch with two 30 rounders in it for a total of 8 loaded mags plus the one in the gun. I carry at least one pistol everywhere I go.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#22]
1) cheapy PSA ptac AR in overhead big sky double gun roof rack. in a Tacoma removing the oh shit handles allowed to mount right into the holes; no drilling.

2) 30 rd mag in the gun, 4 additional pmag30 in tactical tailor pouches in a level IV plate carrier behind front seats. also 4 g17 mags for the g19 pistol.
the logic is to have a long gun in case there is no time to stop home first. secondary to that is riots/savages blocking a bridge/LA truck driver scenario.
theft risk is minimal but that's why its a beater AR. ~$500

3) G19 and LCP 380.

Same setup inside the home. no need to transfer.

It would be an interesting call to the police if it all was stolen. "What was stolen?" "Well, officer, whoever stole that stuff now has a rifle, level IV body armor, helmet, trauma kit, bug out bag, and 200 rds of ammo. So be careful "
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#23]
A bout 4 years ago whenever I would take any kind of road trip my Kel-Tec Sub 9 was carried in an old attache style briefcase.  It is a good compliment to my G19, as it takes Glock mags.

Lately though, and I guess I started sometime after the Mumbai hotel attack, I have been bringing my MSAR STG-556 with me on road trips.

It is pretty inconspicuous in the County Comm Sat bag. One hotel we stayed at had a bunch of people in it for a soccer tournament.  I walked into the elevator with the sat bag over my shoulder.  Guy who was in there started to ask me about the tournament, if we were playing in the morning or afternoon.  I said afternoon and then luckily the door opened on my floor and I got off before he asked me something I could not answer.  I guess he thought I had soccer stuff in the bag.

I am considering taking my PS-90 instead though because I like the idea of having 100 rounds in only two magazines.  Plus, if anything happened to where I had to shoot someone I'm sure the weapon would rot in some evidence locker for months.  I can easily replace a PS-90, not so much the MSAR, well at least mine that has had zero problems.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
1) cheapy PSA ptac AR in overhead big sky double gun roof rack. in a Tacoma removing the oh shit handles allowed to mount right into the holes; no drilling.

2) 30 rd mag in the gun, 4 additional pmag30 in tactical tailor pouches in a level IV plate carrier behind front seats. also 4 g17 mags for the g19 pistol.
the logic is to have a long gun in case there is no time to stop home first. secondary to that is riots/savages blocking a bridge/LA truck driver scenario.
theft risk is minimal but that's why its a beater AR. ~$500
View Quote

Really surprised this is not the most common answer given (either a carbine or pistol) given the venue and a world of sub-$700 ARs.  I can understand not leaving a $2500 AR in your vehicle but unless you live in an urban ghetto where no car is safe for more than 5 minutes (sounds as if AR would then need to be in your hands anyway) I would have expected the hive to have a least two ARs in every vehicle (2 is one etc.) and the thought of a cheap shotgun would be heresy.  Admittedly I live in a rural area where guns are commonly seen in back window gun racks etc. but theft still not that big of a deal unless you give people a reason to bust the window.  Get a basic AR stuff it in a non-operator case and put it in the trunk or under the seat, make sure you have it insured if concerned (NRA basic coverage works as long as there is forced entry) and go with it???
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#26]
That's pretty sporty
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't have one!  

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#28]
If I have a car(truck) gun it's usually my HK USP9
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#29]
CZ P09 + 2 extra mags = 58 rounds of 9MM

I also usually have a 1911 IWB CC w/ an extra mag.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#30]
USP9c and a cheap PSA 16" build.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Sig SP 2022 plus 2 extra mags in the seatcarry pouch

Ruger LC9 on the side pocket of the door with one extra magazine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Id like to know what works best for different people.
1) If you do so, what gun do you keep in your car trunk?
2)What is the logic behind choosing that specific gun and how much ammo do you keep for it?
3)Do you carry another weapon as your CCW?
Thanks
FerFAL
View Quote

I keep an cc LCP with spare mag on when clothed.
I add a cc 17L whenever needed.
If I leave the house I normally have my briefcase that has a 19 and 4 spare 17 mags.
If I am leaving town I add an AR to the mix with 8 30rd mags.

I currently don't leave anything in the car.

When I lived in the big city I kept a cheap AR in the car.
Bugging out has greatly simplified things.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No car.

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/user/sea2summit1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskmjdxb95.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/sea2summit1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskmjdxb95.jpeg</a>
<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/user/sea2summit1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdjzemhv9.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/sea2summit1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdjzemhv9.jpeg</a>
<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/user/sea2summit1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsp2dad56n.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/sea2summit1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsp2dad56n.jpeg</a>
View Quote

Very impressive!
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:25:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Ferfal, I keep an 14.5 inch AR15 and 6 mags in the back of my FJ. Double cable locked. I EDC a G19.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:14:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Whatever CCW I happen to have, lately a G43.  I also have a G27 with X-Grip mag adapter in a holster that is bolted to the underside of the dash.  Pistol configured AR with Shockwave brace in a bag along with 4 30 round mags and extra mags for the G27.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#36]
I went for the cheap PSA upper on Anderson lower but had a hard time finding a place for it to fit in my Tacoma.  

I ended up with an 11.5" BCM upper on a pistol lower, with two mags behind the back seat.  More expensive combo and not the format I was looking for but it fits.  Not much theft or crime around here, feeling good for me and sorry for the ones in other areas.

I rarely carry, but when I do it is a Sig P239 .40S&W.  Love the 1200GS, not secure looking but I'd never get off it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a Marlin .357 mag lever action that I had cut down to 16" that stays in my truck.  It fits between the two seats, you can not see it from the outside.  Have had it in the truck for going on 20 years now.  $100.00 pawn shop buy.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Just my CCW.  I don't think there is any plausible situation where I would need it, so the risk of theft outweighs the value added at this point.  If there came a point where I felt circumstances justified it, I would go with an inexpensive AR first.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#39]
My wife and I both keep ARs in our daily drivers plus our concealed carry.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I work from home so I don't really drive anywhere.  When I'm out usually just my LCP in my pocket. My work does not allow us to have any firearms in our company car and going in and out of refineries and power plants it's a big no no anyways.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I have an AR-15 with a basic load of ammo (210rd) in a Noveske Concealed carry backpack. It looks like a big nondescript back pack that any college student would use, and it can be carried pretty much anywhere. The best thing about it, is my Texas CHL covers it since it is technically a pistol. If I have to park somewhere sketchy, I can take the pack with me and no one is the wiser. I live in a very safe upper middle class area and have never had any issues with my vehicle being broken into.

It is expensive for what it is, but at the time I bought it, there weren't too many options that appealed to me.

http://www.first-spear.com/product.php?productid=17613

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I always carry a S&W model 642 in my pocket when I get dressed.
All 3 of my cars have a Bersa Thunder 380 pistol hidden away behind the glove compartment or under the center console plus 2 spare mags, a IWB holster and a box of ammo (50 rounds) hidden in the trunk area or inside the back seat at all times.  They only get taken out to test fire and cleaning every few months.  
For over night or multi-day road trips I add a 12G Remington 870 police shotgun with light and 12 rounds of 00 buckshot, 12 rounds of 1 oz. slug and 12 rounds of #4 field shot shells. There is nothing a shotgun with appropriate shell can't handle inside 75 yards.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Shield and KISS AR with a few spare mags.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No car.

<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/user/sea2summit1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskmjdxb95.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/sea2summit1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskmjdxb95.jpeg</a>
<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/user/sea2summit1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdjzemhv9.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/sea2summit1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsdjzemhv9.jpeg</a>
<a href="http://s29.photobucket.com/user/sea2summit1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsp2dad56n.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/sea2summit1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsp2dad56n.jpeg</a>
View Quote

I love your bike!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Seeing all of the firepower that is commonly carried in ya'll vehicles, you'd think there would be rampant murder-death-kills every day! It's a good thing the fools from DU don't come and see this, they'd be too frightened to ever leave their meek and humble abodes.

Then again, if the rest of the masses knew the firepower kept hidden in so many vehicles, there would certainly be far less road rage incidences!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#46]
This under the back seat with two mags of TAP 75 grain for road trips away from home more than a couple hours.  

Glock 43 with TLR-6  and an extra mag on me 90% of the time now.  But usually I will also have my G23 or P228 in the truck in a paddle holster to grab and go if necessary with an extra mag.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Trunk Monkey AR pistol Edition

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I have steel safes in my truck, one under the back seat and another in the console. In the back seat safe I keep a VZ-2008 rifle with a folding stock, 7.62x39 caliber. I have it in a Blackhawk discreet case which looks like a tennis racket bag. I have a black Strike Hard Gear AK mag shoulder bag that holds 6 mags, but I keep 5 loaded 30 rd mags (downloaded to 28) in there and a ITS Tactical blowout kit for wounds, plus a SOFT-W. The outside of the bag I have another SOFT-W tourniquet and a double pistol mag pouch, both black as well. It is fairly low profile, and just looks like a small flapped messenger bag. I also keep a 200 round battlepack in the safe as extra just in case.

I chose the VZ-2008 because I could get it and 5 mags for $500, so it is relatively inexpensive should something happen to it. Also, It fires a pretty decent round that I have a lot of on hand. It uses proprietary mags, but since it came with 5 I was already pretty good to go from the start. I picked up a few spares to have on hand as well.

It may be unlikely I would ever need the use of a rifle when out and about for defense, but I figure it is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

In the console safe I keep an old Springfield XD9. I have a Maxpedition Versipack shoulder bag with a holster inside which is what I would put it in if I needed to go somewhere on foot. I keep a Master Pro Survival Kit in there, a 32oz Nalgene, spare loaded pistol mag, poncho, Sawyer mini filter,  some cordage and other odds and ends. The XD lives in the console safe, I use either a Glock 19, 26 or 43 for CCW.

I have Molle one the back of both of the front seats with various pouches with all kinds of gear and tools. I also have a single rifle mag pouch where I keep a spare VZ mag, and a triple pistol mag pouch with 2 XD mags and 1 Glock 19 mag. I keep a 50 rd box of Federal HST 147 grain 9mm in the door pocket, along with 100 rds of .22lr just because.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#49]
I keep a KelTec P-11 and one reload in one vehicle and a Ruger LCR357 with 15 extra rounds in the other.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Lately though, and I guess I started sometime after the Mumbai hotel attack, I have been bringing my MSAR STG-556 with me on road trips.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3731296/CC_Bag_003_L.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3731296/CC_Bag_004_L.JPG

It is pretty inconspicuous in the County Comm Sat bag.
View Quote

Excellent suggestion! Thanks!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top