Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2006 4:38:22 PM EDT
Hello,

I have never owned and AR-15 but am purchasing one in 3 weeks. I have been trying to do some homework but this is getting confusing. I have my eye on a bushmaser M4-A2 price I was given was $839. First off is this a good price? it seemed good to me when i called around. And ordering one online seemed more after paying taxes, and shipping. Of course I still have to pay tax with the local purchase.

Ok now what is the big difference between the a2 and a3. All i can see is the handle is removable. Now the place i plan to get the gun from local has the a3 for 939. Is it worth the extra 100?

Are there other models that are just as good that may cost less? Like I said I am very new and just dont want to buy the wrong thing first then have to pay more money down the rd. I would like to do it right the first time but I dont want to spend 1200 to do it.

Thank you all for your time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 on what new-arguy said.
If you plan on running an optic,
go the flat top route.

If not, the A1 upper is an option as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#3]
does the price of the A3 include a detachable carry handle? sometimes they are a little more because the do include it. but some dont, and i had to pay and extra 120 to get a DCH for my flatop, which you may want if you dont have an optic good to go as soon as you get your rifle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the A3 with detachable handle, spend the extra money now. Eventually you are gonna want to add optics and other gadgets this will leave you with more options.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
sorry I was talking about the bushmaster m4-A2 and M4-A3. When I asked the owner of the gun store he said the M4-A3, thats all I know.

so would I be going wrong with the bushmaster M4-A3? Does 940 seem like a good price?

is there a different brand I should look at?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#7]
thank you so much for the advise. anyone else please feel free to chime in. Sorry I may have a few very dumb questions but I rather ask here then buy the wrong thing....does carbine just mean its a shorter barrel? I do plan on adding a scope so i guess the A3 would be the best bet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome to the club, I bought my first AR about two months ago, and have not looked back.  This site provided me with all the info I needed to make the best decision for me.  I knew next to nothing about them and I ending up using this site to pick out exactly what I wanted.  I bought the Bushy M4 with the flattop and removable carry handle.  For maximum flexibility I feel that is probably the best choice.  Make sure and read up on everything you can, and ask questions.  This site rocks and will help you out greatly.  Welcome to BRD!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
sorry I was talking about the bushmaster m4-A2 and M4-A3. When I asked the owner of the gun store he said the M4-A3, thats all I know.

so would I be going wrong with the bushmaster M4-A3? Does 940 seem like a good price?

$940 is NOT a good price. I got mine for $835, which is about the best price you can get them for.  Try Paul's firearm, they only charge $25 above dealer cost.  Also, AJC sports (that's where I got my M4A3) in Texas. Type the names in goggle and you will find them.  I love my bushy M4A3. I actually use my removable handle as my back up sight because it's much more sturdy than many B.U.I.S IMO.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I would suggest piecing one together from the vendors here on the board.  You can get the major sub assemblies already built if you're uncomfortable with your ability to do so yourself.  Buy doing so, you can almost surely have a better AR for equal to, or less money than you'd spend on a factory gun from BM, or many other companines for that matter.  

You could also build from scratch yourself, which will give you a much more intimate knowledge of your firearm, which most see as a positive, as well as giving you more confidence in your use of the weapon.

At least that's my take on the situation.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$940 is NOT a good price. I got mine for $835, which is about the best price you can get them for.  Try Paul's firearm, they only charge $25 above dealer cost.  Also, AJC sports (that's where I got my M4A3) in Texas. Type the names in goggle and you will find them.  I love my bushy M4A3. I actually use my removable handle as my back up sight because it's much more sturdy than many B.U.I.S IMO.

I have now found one for 899. Thats will work out to be the same as yours wouldnt it...I mean after I pay shipping apx 25-30 and then the LLf fee thats about the same......
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#13]
899 local sounds good to me, like you say by the time you add in all the extra costs of shipping, tranfers, ect it works out the same. The 899 includes the detachable carry handle right ?

Mike
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Gun show in ohio {athens} they were $ 830 new than add tax
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#15]
just placed the order from a local dealer BM M4-A3 $879.95....best deal I could find....Im very excited.
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I am in the same boat, trying to figure out what I would like to get. I am mostly unsure what I will be using it for, so that makes narrowing down the decision a little harder. I do feel more educated because of this board... so I have learned more; just not enough to make a purchase yet. I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the price difference of getting a Stag vs. an RRA. Time will tell!!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2006 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Bushmaster or LMT
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 4:16:47 AM EDT
[#18]
the local gun shop I got it from is about an hour and half away so Im just going to wait 2 weeks till our local gun show and pick it up from him then. I will post pics when I get it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 6:26:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. I wish I would have known about this resource when I bought my m4! Luckily for me I "impulsively" bought a bushmaster m4a2 for $823 - a great price for a great rifle. I am in love with this gun and have had the pleasure of putting almost 1000 rounds through her in the three weeks I have had her! Now I just have to STOP putting money into her as I have already turned her green, added an ergo grip, a vertical handle, a red-dot, tactical rails, buffer wedge, butt-pad, bought 6-30 round mags, magpuls, etc. Just remember, if you want a safe-queen, save your cash and buy an airsoft rifle: if you want a real rifle SHOOT IT!!!!

Murphy
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#20]
A lot of good info here in the above posts.  I agree with building your own lower and buying a complete upper of your choice.  It'll save you a little money initially (and tax dollars) and it's not difficult to do at all (and a great learning experience to learn how your rifle works).  A lot of good buys here on the EE; great dealers!  
I.e.  An acquaintance is a State Trooper and he decided he wanted an AR after Katrina.  Not making a lot of money he wanted to save where he could.   Regulations required him to have either a Bushmaster or a Colt.  He bought a stripped Bushmaster lower, then bought a CMT/Stag lpk, D&H mags, then a M&A complete upper and was ready to go.  Couldn't tell the difference, goes bang every time (we ran it in very well before he went down to N.O.).  

eta: There are a lot of good lowers out there also; I usually lean from the economical and functional  Essential Arms lowers to RRA and Global Tactical lowers.  There are many other fine lowers out there; for the most part they're all good.  Pick your favorite roll mark and build your own lower.  
My personal preference is to build my own uppers; but I do have RRA and other complete uppers.  
Course if you like ready built Bushmaster, Colt, or RRA that's a fine way to go also.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hello,

I have never owned and AR-15 but am purchasing one in 3 weeks. I have been trying to do some homework but this is getting confusing. I have my eye on a bushmaser M4-A2 price I was given was $839. First off is this a good price? it seemed good to me when i called around. And ordering one online seemed more after paying taxes, and shipping. Of course I still have to pay tax with the local purchase.

Ok now what is the big difference between the a2 and a3. All i can see is the handle is removable. Now the place i plan to get the gun from local has the a3 for 939. Is it worth the extra 100?

Flat top uppers offer you more flexibility in terms of optics and sights than the A2 style receivers do. Paying an extra 100 now beats paying an extra 400-500 for a new upper later.

Are there other models that are just as good that may cost less?

As far as a general purpose AR useful for serious defensive purposes, you won't find anything better than a Bushmaster. Personally, either a Bushmaster or Colt are the only major AR's I will ever own, with a strong preference being for the Bushmaster. Other smaller makers like LMT seem to be excellent as well, but you will find that out later on when you are asking about buying your 15th AR rifle.

Like I said I am very new and just dont want to buy the wrong thing first then have to pay more money down the rd. I would like to do it right the first time but I dont want to spend 1200 to do it.

Thank you all for your time.

I would reccomend the A3 if you can afford it. Yes it is more expensive, but also more flexible and versatile than the A2 when it comes to sighting options, which you will probably get involved in as you get more into your AR-15 habit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

940 seems a bit high, but I don't know what the market is like where you live. I know I can probably find an M4 profile A3 from Bushmaster for probably 850-875 around my place, but that is because I would buy one through an FFL order program.

Your favorite gunshop might not do that for you.

Bushmaster makes superb weapons. I think you will be happy with a Bushy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
just placed the order from a local dealer BM M4-A3 $879.95....best deal I could find....Im very excited.

The Bushy should more than meet your needs.

There are other good makers (LMT, etc.) but Bushmaster is still my preference because mine have always given me excellent service.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I would suggest piecing one together from the vendors here on the board.  You can get the major sub assemblies already built if you're uncomfortable with your ability to do so yourself.  Buy doing so, you can almost surely have a better AR for equal to, or less money than you'd spend on a factory gun from BM, or many other companines for that matter.  

You could also build from scratch yourself, which will give you a much more intimate knowledge of your firearm, which most see as a positive, as well as giving you more confidence in your use of the weapon.

At least that's my take on the situation.  YMMV.

but then he has to spend about 200 bucks for tools to put it together.......

it's much easier for a newbie to just buy a complete gun and learn THAT first....then if he likes it enough he can get more advanced.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#25]
yes..I am very new to this and relatively new to guns period. I think I will be real happy with the choice I have made in purchasing this bushmaster. Perhaps down the road i can experiment in putting one together myself.

Now if I can just get through these next two weeks...gosh I have felt like this since I was a kid and it was Christmas time......
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I like A1 uppers and Flat tops

Colt or Bushmaster

Also like my LMT
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
yes..I am very new to this and relatively new to guns period. I think I will be real happy with the choice I have made in purchasing this bushmaster. Perhaps down the road i can experiment in putting one together myself.

Now if I can just get through these next two weeks...gosh I have felt like this since I was a kid and it was Christmas time......

Did you get the Bushmaster M4 with the 14.5inch barrel and a permanently attached muzzle device? Or did you get the M4 with a 16inch barrel? Technically, the M4 is only the 14.5 inch barrel but alot of people here use the term loosly to mean any barrel that is cut to take the M203 grenade launcher.

I paid $1050 (With Tax) for mine in June 2004, M4 14.5 Inch Barrel with permanently attached Mini-Y-Comp.
Another $150 for the labor to remove the Y-Comp (Add a Phantom) and attach a bayonet lug. Later I also had to replace the stock as well.

I would say you got one hell of a good deal at high $800 price range.
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I am pretty sure its the 16" barrel. Some local shops wanted about a grand for it. The dealer I ended up getting the BM from I also ordered a SA XD 45ACP so maybe he gave me a little better deal. Over all I am happy and now I just cant wait to get my hands on this bad boy. Now I just have to wait till May 6th to pick up both guns. Or I can dive a hour and half both ways but in a SUV and what gas cost I will just wait...heck I can put that gas money towards some ammo.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top