BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/3/2018 1:12:05 AM EDT
So I'm planning my next rifle and I'm definitely going to get a KAC upper.  I just don't know if I want the entire thing to be KAC or if I'd rather have a KAC upper on somebody else's lower.

I tried ADM's ambi lowers and was extremely disappointed in them but I absolutely love my LWRC DI's ambi features.  From what I've read online the KAC bolt release isn't truly ambi, but the LWRC and LMT ambi versions are.  Or any other quality ambi lower...  Anybody here have experience with these and KAC and have any thoughts on how they compare?
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:31:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I have both a LMT MARS lower and a LWRC M6IC lower. I like both of them to be honest. Not sure one is better than the other as they are both great. I might prefer the LWRC just a smudge due to the location of the magazine release on the left side compared to the LMT mag release on the left side. You can't go wrong with either one to be honest.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:00:49 AM EDT
[#2]
There's also the CMT ambi lower if you haven't already ruled it out. I've got a wrong handed buddy who has one and likes it. @kangy
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:49:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I like CMT. I have several CMT products including a few lowers. I bought 5 CMT ambi lowers early last year. I think CMT has some of the best uppers and lowers.

The ambi lower is sexy. It comes with:

- threaded bolt catch pin for easy install
- a threaded take down pin spring hole with set screw (which I lost the damn screw)
- right side bolt release installed.
- left side mag release installed.

CMT actively supports veterans, LEO, 2ndA and the owner personally supports local 3 gun & PRS matches. I am not affiliated with CMT, but I've known the owner for about a decade and he is good people. CMT makes a lot of uppers and lowers for a lot of online stores. I cant say who, but this site knows them all very well.

All CMT's lowers are billet. They have extra material at the receiver extension neck behind the takedown pin. So, endplates like the Magpul ASAP will not fit.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I have three Ambi CMT lowers, quality and function are excellent.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#5]
LWRC
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I have CMT, Ascend Armory, ADM, and Radian

I like them all, but

Radian is really a work of art,
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#7]
It’s not as pretty but you can add the Redi Catch to an existing lower. It’s licensed from Radian’s ADAC feature where a right handed shooter can press the mag release with their eight pointer finger and simultaneously lock the bolt to the rear with their left hand. I run them in my KAC lowers to make them truly full ambi. If I was buying today I’d probably go with the LMT MARS.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Huge fan of my LWRC lower. Picked mine up from Brownells
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#9]
The CMT looks as if it is ambi bolt release only and not catch also. Is that correct?
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#10]
The CMT has both and ambi bolt release and mag release according to their site.

Just confirmed with my buddy who has one, it is a bolt release only, not a catch unfortunately
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys.  I think I'm leaning towards the LWRC, especially the ones for $600 at Brownells. Just waiting for a 10% off deal.  Shoulda jumped on it the last time they had it right before new years.  Saw them going for like $540.  And thats with the LWRC buttstock, and Geissele SSA-E!!!  So mad that I didn't buy like 5.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Out of everything I have tried the lwrci ic lowers are the best
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:26:55 AM EDT
[#13]
The upcoming new LWRC IC "competition" debuted at SHOT has ambi 45 degree selectors.

Might be worth a call to LWRC to see if they are available.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:18:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The upcoming new LWRC IC "competition" debuted at SHOT has ambi 45 degree selectors.

View Quote

Thanks for lookin out bro!
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  I think I'm leaning towards the LWRC, especially the ones for $600 at Brownells. Just waiting for a 10% off deal.  Shoulda jumped on it the last time they had it right before new years.  Saw them going for like $540.  And thats with the LWRC buttstock, and Geissele SSA-E!!!  So mad that I didn't buy like 5.
View Quote
That’s a good deal and very tempting.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have CMT, Ascend Armory, ADM, and Radian

I like them all, but

Radian is really a work of art,
View Quote
The Radian lower would be my pick for the best, mainly because it has the ADAC feature integrated into the design.  Granted, I say that without having used one and I'm not sure you can buy the complete Radian lower.  I just really like the ADAC feature.

A semi-stripped lower is $370...add trigger, grip, buffer system, and stock of your choice and it doesn't seem all that expensive when compared to LMT, KAC, LWRC and the like.  If I was going to spend $600+ on a true ambi lower right now, Radian is what I'd get I think.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#17]
What didn't you like about the ADM lower?  I've been contemplating getting one, or two.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, Brownells won’t ship complete lowers to CA so you didn’t actually miss out on anything unless you were planning on using a middle-man.

There is a member on Gunbroker that regularly lists the LWRC ambi lowers for around $510. They might ship to CA if your receiving FFL will accept a complete lower that is not featureless or has new style maglock.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 5:42:28 PM EDT
[#19]
curious of what those think of the radian vs thelmt mars
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to help. LWRCi posted this, should give you more info:

https://lwrci.com/p-5303-ic-di-competition-556.aspx

Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:39:52 AM EDT
[#21]
As a 80 percenter, and owner of several different 100 percent lowers, it really comes down to two things. Strength and fit. Forged Aluminum lowers/uppers are typically 7000 series aluminum which is stronger while billet lowers and uppers are typically 6000 series aluminum which is easier to machine. There's really only two places on a lower that are stressed by the action of the rifle and that is at the takedown pins. A billet lower may see early signs of wear in that area if it's 6000 series aluminum and that will give you that battle rattle effect which can also affect accuracy although I'm not sure how much. As for fit, the only way to attempt to guarantee and good fit between the upper and lower billet versions is to buy a matched set. So, now that you know that, if you like the looks of billet machined uppers/lowers then try to find one that is made from 7000 series aluminum otherwise, stick to forged. Odds are pretty good that with either, if they've gone to the extra expense of using 7000 AL then they are probably machining to the proper spec's

The next thing you need to be aware of is that the larger producers of uppers/lowers are doing a ton of OEM work. These uppers/lowers are sold under many different names so unless you buy direct from the manufacturer you might be comparing two or more uppers/lowers that are actually identical.

Now that you know this, pick a favorite and then call and ask questions.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:42:12 AM EDT
[#22]
POF GEN4
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:53:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well, Brownells won’t ship complete lowers to CA so you didn’t actually miss out on anything unless you were planning on using a middle-man.

There is a member on Gunbroker that regularly lists the LWRC ambi lowers for around $510. They might ship to CA if your receiving FFL will accept a complete lower that is not featureless or has new style maglock.
View Quote
I live in Utah now.  I just leave it as saying CA to try to change public perception of what CA gun owners are like.

For example:  I was able to do this while living behind the Iron Curtain.  Fully intending to use all those to arm friends and family for a revolution if Hillary won.  Thank God that didn't have to happen.

Found the guy selling LWRC lowers on gb here.  Not a bad price but his come with the LWRC enhanced fire control group which I'm guessing is just like an ALG ACT.  Plus his shipping is $25.  I think I'd be better off going with the Brownells version with the SSA-E and just selling the SSA-E, especially if they do a 10% off sale again.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 2:00:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What didn't you like about the ADM lower?  I've been contemplating getting one, or two.
View Quote
The channel for the front takedown pin seems to be out of spec.  I was completely unable to get any of my BCM or DD uppers to mount properly and actually had to have a gunsmith drill out the goddamn front takedown pin cuz it wouldn't come out with a punch/mallet.

Oddly enough, my PSA CHF uppers seat just fine on the ADMs.  I posted about it here.  

I didn't mention DD in that thread as I still hadn't purchased any of their uppers for black friday yet.  But since making that thread I've tried a few other uppers from both BCM and DD and all had the same issues.  If it was just the one BCM upper I'd assume the problem is that upper.  With multiple uppers from both of these companies, I think I can safely lay the blame on ADM.  Maybe they just had a bad batch but regardless I won't be giving them more of my money for their lowers.

I am still a big fan of their optics mounts though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I live in Utah now.  I just leave it as saying CA to try to change public perception of what CA gun owners are like.

For example:  I was able to do this while living behind the Iron Curtain.  Fully intending to use all those to arm friends and family for a revolution if Hillary won.  Thank God that didn't have to happen.

Found the guy selling LWRC lowers on gb here.  Not a bad price but his come with the LWRC enhanced fire control group which I'm guessing is just like an ALG ACT.  Plus his shipping is $25.  I think I'd be better off going with the Brownells version with the SSA-E and just selling the SSA-E, especially if they do a 10% off sale again.  
View Quote
Ah, congrats on the escape. One day I hope to be as lucky.

Given your free state status, I agree, the Brownells deal is the way to go. I’m jealous.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
POF GEN4
View Quote
My POF gen 4 is awesome also.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I am very happy with all my SanTan Tactical lowers...

https://www.santantactical.com/stt-2794
View Quote
That's not a full ambi lower though and only has an ambi bolt release.

Stick with the LMT/LWRC lowers OP, both are the best designed full ambi setups around.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#29]
American Def Manufacturing has a nice fully ambi lower
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Spikes makes a billet full ambi lower. Came standard as part of the compressor package but it's really nice and you can buy them seperately. They've beefed areas that need more beef, and pocketed areas that don't, so it comes out to the same weight as the normal non-ambi lowers. Nice big magwell that Ray Charles could find too. Comes with KNS titanium pins and a few other premium LPK parts.

BIG built-in trigger guard too. No problem shooting it with my winter gloves on.

Here
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
ummm... yeah, it has a bolt release and mag release on both sides.

STT-15 AR Lower Ambidextrous Billet Receiver - San Tan Tactical
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not a full ambi lower though and only has an ambi bolt release.

Stick with the LMT/LWRC lowers OP, both are the best designed full ambi setups around.

Exactly, it doesn't have a bolt catch on both sides. It is not full ambidextrous like the LMT and LWRC are.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:18:22 AM EDT
[#33]
LMT and LWRC would get my vote too.

I am surprised Falkor hasn't been mentioned yet.  I handled one of their rifles a few years ago and it was a pretty awesome gun with the CF wrapped barrel from Proof and it also had a Raptor since it was still in it's preproduction model.

I think a Falkor lower would look great with a SR-15/16 upper.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:21:56 AM EDT
[#34]

LWRC gets my vote.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 2:25:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Think he's referring to being able to lock the bolt back from both sides.  Seems that most ambi lowers only allow you to release the bolt, not lock it back from the right hand side.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 2:29:23 AM EDT
[#36]
so... you guys gonna judge me if I dont get a full SR-15 for my first big KAC purchase?

Damn GI Bill here is only like $1300 a month which barely covers rent and food for me.  All my toys get paid for with student loans cuz im a fuckin idiot lol
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 3:12:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
so... you guys gonna judge me if I dont get a full SR-15 for my first big KAC purchase?

Damn GI Bill here is only like $1300 a month which barely covers rent and food for me.  All my toys get paid for with student loans cuz im a fuckin idiot lol
View Quote
KAC is a waste of money... there I said it...
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 3:45:26 AM EDT
[#38]
ouch
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 5:04:49 AM EDT
[#39]
I'll be different:  AERO Presicion, has been my latest goto upper.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#40]
AXTS
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#41]
You could take a look at the Radian lowers, Ascend Armory, and Falkor Defense.

I personally have a AXTS, SanTan Tactical, Seekins, and a ADM lower.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
LWRC
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I had not considered that... Thank You.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, it doesn't have a bolt catch on both sides. It is not full ambidextrous like the LMT and LWRC are.
Just to be clear the KAC does have a Bolt Release on Both sides.

But, isn't the LMT MARS the same as the KAC as far as the right side Bolt Release?  I know the KAC right side is Release only and not manual catch.  I haven't handled the MARS but from pics it looks to work the same way.

The problem I have with the LWRC is that their Ambi buttons are too "Proud", they seem too large and oversized IMHO compared to the KAC/LMT.  But, I do like the Right side Bolt Catch/release design better, and that coming from an SR-15 owner.

Cheers,

Dave
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

But, isn't the LMT MARS the same as the KAC as far as the right side Bolt Release?  I know the KAC right side is Release only and not manual catch.  I haven't handled the MARS but from pics it looks to work the same way.

The problem I have with the LWRC is that their Ambi buttons are too "Proud", they seem too large and oversized IMHO compared to the KAC/LMT.  But, I do like the Right side Bolt Catch/release design better, and that coming from an SR-15 owner.

Cheers,

Dave
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers,

Dave
LMT MARS setup, at least the current, is a catch/release the same as the LWRC design.

Not my image, taken from the net.

Button has the ability to be pushed from the bottom to catch the bolt. Actually the LMT button design is a bit more pronounced than the LWRC as the LWRC is nothing more than the same catch/release button as on the left side. The magazine release is about the largest but its boxed in, I've never had an issue with accidental magazine dropping with it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

LMT MARS setup, at least the current, is a catch/release the same as the LWRC design.

Not my image, taken from the net.

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1583/24425259612_35e139e129_h.jpg

Button has the ability to be pushed from the bottom to catch the bolt. Actually the LMT button design is a bit more pronounced than the LWRC as the LWRC is nothing more than the same catch/release button as on the left side. The magazine release is about the largest but its boxed in, I've never had an issue with accidental magazine dropping with it.
View Quote
Thanks for the info, I must have seen an older one or something.  In that case I vote for the LMT Lower :-)

Dave
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I roll all CMT on my 5.56 guns, but ill be switching to LMT.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Hard to beat the LMT, quality and top notch reliability

Link Posted: 2/6/2018 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Love the look of the complete radian wepons rifle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 1:46:35 AM EDT
[#50]
How about the Spikes billet ambi lower?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top