BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/10/2019 1:50:42 PM EDT
I've found the Forward Control Design EMR-A magazine release to be the best option on the market, but I have yet to find the best way to release the bolt without breaking my grip. The way the EMR-A is designed it does not work with a lot of the Magpul BAD style bolt release mechanisms, but I have not tried all of the options out there. Before I go down the road of designing something myself I wanted to see what others have done.

Preferably, I would like to keep the EMR-A and find a bolt release mechanism that will do what I need it to without have to break grip on my left hand while holding the rifle and be able to release the bolt with my support hand once I seat the magazine. Currently I'm moving my left hand off the grip and moving it forward to hit the bolt release. I'm assuming someone has found a better solution that I'm not aware of yet. Thanks in advance for any input/pictures.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If you use a Troy ambi mag release the BAD lever will work fine.

Otherwise, you're limited to one of the ambidextrous lower receivers.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot left handed. I have the AAC mag release on two of mine and like them.
One thing I do not see, is when you are holding the grip with your left hand, how would you actuate the bad lever? I thought the whole point of the bad lever was for right handed shooters to be able to use their trigger finger to release the bolt. However with the way it passes through the trigger guard, I do not see how a left handed shooter can use it.
I will admit I have not handled a gun with one on it, I am just basing it off pictures and how I perceive it to function.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I use it mainly for reloads. As I insert the magazine with my right hand, my right thumb activates the lever and releases the bolt. Makes my reloads even faster than a right hander.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I use the Troy mag release and POF enhanced bolt catch...best bang for the buck for me, and great function.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Best lefty way is just to adapt, other than an ambi safety lever.
When i grab the mag with my right hand, my thumb works the button. Totally natural.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Leftie here. Stock controls on all my rifles.

ARs are a very friendly platform for southpaws as is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I use an ambi charging handle, ambi safety, stock mag release and bolt catch.

I release the mag with my right thumb and strip the mag with my right hand at the same time.

Then I hit the bolt release with my trigger finger.

If anything I would just upgrade to Geissele maritime bolt catch so you can reach it easier.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Stock controls.  Right hand thumb hits mag release.  And I just hit the shit out of the right side of the rifle with my right palm to release the bolt.  
I do like ambi or the RRA "star" safety selectors though.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I make mine totally ambidextrous:

Ambi charging handle;
Ambi selector;
Ambi mag release;
BAD Lever or Phase 5 Ambi bolt release.

These enhancements are available and they work. So why not use them?

I keep a few AR's bone stock and have no problems transitioning to them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#10]
You could try one of the various ambi lowers and see if something tickles your fancy.

Ambi lower thread
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:01:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When i grab the mag with my right hand, my thumb works the button. Totally natural.
View Quote
This.
I do not like ambi mag releases as they place the bolt release and mag release too close together. It’s an accidental control activation waiting to happen.

Bring support hand (right) up and cup magwell. Thumb to activate mag release, fingertips to activate bolt release.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:19:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I’ve left handed and have tried several different styles of ambi magazine and bolt releases (never tried a BAD style lever).  I’ve also tried them in various combinations.

The best I’ve found so far is a EMR-A style magazine release combined with a Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch with the bottom pad (that you’d use for locking the bolt back) ground down.

Grinding down the bottom pad not only provides clearance for the ambi mag catch to work but also helps to avoid mixing up the two.  That’s not as big of a deal with the EMR-A style release but with a Nordic style it’s pretty easy to hit the wrong one.

With the way the maritime catch extends rearward (more than about any other I’ve found) I can easily press the release with my trigger finder without shifting my grip.

Even if the bolt release happens to be stiff for some reason you can just rock the gun towards your finger and it’ll release.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 10:12:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I use a norgan style mag release, an enlarged bolt release, ambi safety selector also ambi charging handle

Battle Steel ambi mag release

STRIKE INDUSTRIES ENHANCED BOLT CATCH

RADIAN WEAPONS RAPTOR CHARGING HANDLE

RADIAN WEAPONS TALON SAFETY SELECTOR
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I like EMR or KAC left side mag release.

For right side bolt release, KAC ambi lower or something similar.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quoted:
Leftie here. Stock controls on all my rifles.

ARs are a very friendly platform for southpaws as is.
View Quote
Quoted:
Stock controls.  Right hand thumb hits mag release.  And I just hit the shit out of the right side of the rifle with my right palm to release the bolt.  
I do like ambi or the RRA "star" safety selectors though.

CHRIS
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I shoot left handed. I have the AAC mag release on two of mine and like them.
One thing I do not see, is when you are holding the grip with your left hand, how would you actuate the bad lever? I thought the whole point of the bad lever was for right handed shooters to be able to use their trigger finger to release the bolt. However with the way it passes through the trigger guard, I do not see how a left handed shooter can use it.
I will admit I have not handled a gun with one on it, I am just basing it off pictures and how I perceive it to function.
View Quote
Shooting left-handed, you'd activate the BAD lever with your right thumb after you've seated the magazine.  Works great.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I keep it all factory.

Hit button
Grab mag
Put mag in
And hit release.  Most of the time when I jam the mag in I do it so hard it releases bolt.

Only ambi parts are CH and Safety
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I keep it all factory.

Hit button
Grab mag
Put mag in
And hit release.  Most of the time when I jam the mag in I do it so hard it releases bolt.

Only ambi parts are CH and Safety
View Quote
#METOO
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 1:40:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Knights mag release from Brownells for my PCC
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:57:12 AM EDT
[#20]
i use this setup:

Norgon ambi catch (I don't like the Troy mag release because it scratches the lower)
Seekins Precision Enhanced bolt catch
Seekins Precision ambi safety selector
Radian Raptor ambi charging handle

Works perfect for me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 5:03:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I used stock controls for years with no issues but I’ve tried a few ambi controls and like them.

The best thing was a LWRC ambi lower. This thing is great. The best ambi controls I’ve used. The left handed mag release is super easy to use and so is the ambi bolt release which isn’t that necessary.

Just plain ambi safeties are fine, from Right to Bear or wherever. LWRC just had theirs on sale for $20 so I picked up couple of those.

For mag releases I’ve used the $25 Arms Unlimited versions and I think they’re great. Similar to others for a much lower price. A little stiff at first but they’re nice and I’d recommend. I wouldn’t recommend their ambi safeties. Super uncomfortable to use compared the the GI shape.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Depends on what you're doing. For speed load, hitting the mag release, waiting for the mag to drop, and then inserting the mag is at least a few tenths slower than dropping the mag while you reach for the new one.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I use the Norgon Ambi Catch. It's the best implementation imo and also the least ugly.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Lefty here.  I make it a point to adapt to the firearm.  I do not want to become dependent on ambi or modified firearms.  If there's a lot of them layin' around, I want to be good to go with what I pick up.

One exception:  Scoped, bolt action rifles.  Those I get left-handed.  Too much trouble to reach over the scope.

Also, I adapted to the M60 by shooting it right handed, right eyed.  No way to shoot the pig left handed and survive.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lefty here.  I make it a point to adapt to the firearm.  I do not want to become dependent on ambi or modified firearms.  If there's a lot of them layin' around, I want to be good to go with what I pick up.

One exception:  Scoped, bolt action rifles.  Those I get left-handed.  Too much trouble to reach over the scope.

Also, I adapted to the M60 by shooting it right handed, right eyed.  No way to shoot the pig left handed and survive.
View Quote
Also #Metoo.  Even the M60 part.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Not to hijack the thread, but I shot an M60 just fine left handed.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Lefty here and dont use any left handed setups.  Only thing I ever change is an ambi safety on 1911s
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread, but I shot an M60 just fine left handed.
View Quote
But, why?
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.  I install the troy mag release and try to use it, but muscle memory kicks in and might right hand is on the button, and stripping in a single motion.

I don't see any need for a bolt release, never liked any of the currently marketed "solutions".

I use 45 degree talon ambi safeties.  Raptor charging handles, pulling on the right side only.  Non-F/A upper receivers to provide the most room.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:10:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've found the Forward Control Design EMR-A magazine release to be the best option on the market, but I have yet to find the best way to release the bolt without breaking my grip. The way the EMR-A is designed it does not work with a lot of the Magpul BAD style bolt release mechanisms, but I have not tried all of the options out there. Before I go down the road of designing something myself I wanted to see what others have done.

Preferably, I would like to keep the EMR-A and find a bolt release mechanism that will do what I need it to without have to break grip on my left hand while holding the rifle and be able to release the bolt with my support hand once I seat the magazine. Currently I'm moving my left hand off the grip and moving it forward to hit the bolt release. I'm assuming someone has found a better solution that I'm not aware of yet. Thanks in advance for any input/pictures.
View Quote

-Left hand holding grip, right hand on rail, empty mag in place, bolt locked back
-Grab full mag with right hand, left hand holding grip while...
-Mag release using EMR, right hand with full mag into magwell
>wrap right hand around magwell, web of right hand at front of magwell, wrapping middle finger, or index finger, around to push bolt release
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:40:25 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm not a lefty but I have the Norgon ambi mag release on all my lowers.  I love the damn thing and wouldn't have a lower without one....unless it was a retro clone lower.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I use it mainly for reloads. As I insert the magazine with my right hand, my right thumb activates the lever and releases the bolt. Makes my reloads even faster than a right hander.
View Quote
Another lefty here.  I do the same.  I can reach a stock or G bolt release with my left index finger and don’t have to break my grip.  My right hand can work the mag release, strip the mag out and reload it

Definitely recommend an Ambi safety though
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Geissele CH, Radian safety, Forward Controls mag release.  Duffy’s mag release is so much better than the Norgon.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#34]
For the bolt catch, I'd go with the Geissele maritime bolt catch. It's long enough to use your index finger from the pistol grip.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm a lefty with one right-handed AR and one left-handed AR.  Both have Radian Raptor charging handles, Battle Arms Development ambi safeties, and Strike Industries bolt catches.  I have the Troy ambi mag release on my lefty AR, but honestly I rarely use it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
i use this setup:

Norgon ambi catch (I don't like the Troy mag release because it scratches the lower)

Works perfect for me.
View Quote
Good combo
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I use a Geissele maritime bolt catch and charging handle, V7 ambi selector and mag catch, and a Bootleg upper without forward assist on my right-handed AR.

I also used a stripped RRA lefty receiver set to build a dedicated lefty AR with all other parts from Geissele, V7, Radian, B5, and BCM.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Good combo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i use this setup:

Works perfect for me.
Good combo
Yes, it is. And with the Seekins mag release button it looks great on my 2a Balios Lite receiver.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Geissele  CG
Geissele Maritime bolt release
Norgon ambi mag release
BAD safety

ETA. I had standard milspec ambi safeties but I didnt' like how they dug into my trigger finger so I switched to the BAD with the thin lever on the left side. The Norgon and Maritime combo makes that area a little busy but I got used to it after a little while. I used to just have standard controls(besides the safety)but it's nice to be able to drop the old mag while grabbing for the new one. I have short fingers so the Maritime catch makes it easier to reach it without having to rotate my hand up slightly.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 3:21:38 AM EDT
[#40]
So first pic here, so please cut me some slack... but for a lefty, I enjoy the Geissele Maritime Bolt Release and Troy ambi mag release (also the BAD-ASS is pretty great)....

ETA: good enough?

Welp, HTH,
Austin
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 8:02:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Same setup on all four lowers.

Raptor ch
B.A.D ambi safety
Norgon ambi mag
Seekins and SI enhanced bolt catch.

Tried the bolt catch lever thingy once and found no need for it for my personal flavor.
In a pinch none above are really 100% necessary but makes things a bit easier for us southies, although I have been alternating shooting righty bit lately thru my semis.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#42]
For the AR platform, I adapted. Not hard to do.

To be totally ambidextrous without tools or extra parts, get a Beretta ARX100.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Lefty here, but I want a clean side to a rifle, ie, no controls as I carry the thing on a home-made Biathon rig a lot and do not want any possibility of unintended activation.

Link Posted: 2/17/2019 2:08:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, I shoot left handed. I use my personal rifle for work (no lefty controls), but if I had to use someone else's rifle I would hate to have developed muscle memory for lefty friendly controls. Our department started issuing us Sig ARs with ambi controls. They are nice, but I still prefer my personal SBR with its righty controls.

James
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Guys, everyone is worried about getting used to ambi controls and thereafter not being able to operate a non-modified carbine.

It's not really a concern. I switch from full blown ambi carbines to standard ones with no problems.

Ambi controls make running the AR15 style carbines much easier. Granted, non-modified AR15s are not that hard to run for lefty's, but if I can gain some time using friendlier controls, I'll do it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 2:06:56 AM EDT
[#46]
One question I've had is how lefty's that shoot high power efficiently change mags when slung up in prone?
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 4:38:06 AM EDT
[#47]
My rifle is set factory on those parts.  Less to fail when needed.  Just train to be as efficient as possible.

Only ambi parts are safety and CH.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is what I do and only add an ambi safety selector.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This.
I do not like ambi mag releases as they place the bolt release and mag release too close together. It’s an accidental control activation waiting to happen.

Bring support hand (right) up and cup magwell. Thumb to activate mag release, fingertips to activate bolt release.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

This times 1000.

Thumb of firing hand can switch to the selector side very quickly to activate the selector as well.  Actually feels more natural then an ambi selector.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Guys, everyone is worried about getting used to ambi controls and thereafter not being able to operate a non-modified carbine.

It's not really a concern. I switch from full blown ambi carbines to standard ones with no problems.

Ambi controls make running the AR15 style carbines much easier. Granted, non-modified AR15s are not that hard to run for lefty's, but if I can gain some time using friendlier controls, I'll do it.
View Quote
This.

I can use a non-ambi just fine, but I much prefer one with a few left hand friendly upgrades.

Me, I’m not going to put up with using a non-optimal weapon in the off chance I might have to pick up some random gun and start using it.  If I do have to, it won’t take but a second to re-acclimate to it.

Of course there are some who are just issued whatever from a pool or are stuck with whatever is assigned to them, mounted in their vehicles, etc. I get that train of thought for them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top