Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2017 11:15:54 PM EDT
A friend gave me some AeroShell grease to put on the receiver threads prior to tightening my barrel but but I don't remember if I should also put a thin film of it on the receiver end of the barrel before fitting it to receiver? Also, what are the specs for tightening the muzzle break and the castle nut?  Thanks to all!
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, a light coat of grease on the upper receiver threads as well as the barrel extension isn't a bad idea. Torque to 30-80 ft lbs. I never do less than 35, generally going for 45-55.

I never grease the receiver extension in the lower before it goes in. In fact, sometimes I put blue loctite in it.  I don't remember the specs for that if they exist. I just reef it down and either loctite or stake it.

As for muzzle brake, just not more than 80.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 2:19:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I just put a light film of Aeroshell 33ms on the extension surface and ahead of the flange as well as applying liberally to the threading on the receiver. I never put any loctite; if the upper to extension fit is loose I try another reciever of same make or different mfg
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks folks!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Torque spec for the castle nut is 38 to 42 foot pounds.

Torque spec for a rifle buffer tube is 35 to 39 foot pounds.

Torque spec for barrel nut is 30 to 80 foot pounds.

Torque spec for muzzle device is 15 to 20 foot pounds.

Grease the threads of the upper receiver and the front/FSB facing side of the barrel extension flange. There is no reason to coat the entire barrel extension with grease.

The TM calls for greasing all of the threads that have a torque spec, minus the barrel threads for the flash suppressor, but I grease them anyway.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Make sure you use graphite-free grease and loctite. I put a thin layer on the barrel extension and the threads and torque to 45 ft. Lbs.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I shot with a club member that was a Army Presidents 100 shooter.... about flash/mb he said “hand tight Red Loctite”.

HH
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:50:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Thread and unthread the barrel nut a few times with some force before you go a little harder to your desired torque output.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thread and unthread the barrel nut a few times with some force before you go a little harder to your desired torque output.
View Quote
This is very helpful.  The "standard" procedure is to torque to at least 30 foot-pounds at least 3 times before attempting to align the notch on the barrel nut with the gas tube hole in the upper.  I've had a few that took closer to 10 tries before the grease was distributed on the threads thoroughly enough to properly torque the nut.
Link Posted: 1/4/2018 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Grease it up. Keep in mind some after market barrel nuts have a max of less than 80 ft. lbs. and a minimum above 30.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I used EP grease I bought in a tub from Autozone or one of the local farm supply stores.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:19:50 AM EDT
[#12]
AeroShell 33 is the answer you seek. Follow the procedures in TM 9-1005-319-23.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top