Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2017 11:35:47 PM EDT
Pretty much what the title says. I have a MK116 Mod2 PWS with a Dead Air Sandman S on it and the Razor 1-6 in a Larue mount. And she is heavy so, this thing needs to go on a diet. I have been looking at ACOGs pretty much exclusively. This is my do all, beat up, truck, hunting gun. So it needs to be somewhat versital and rugged. I have been eyeing the TA33 and TA31. Let me know what you guys think. Am I overlooking anything?
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a TA33, it’s awesome, except the FOV is tiny. I don’t care though, I love it.

If that would bother you, Maybe try to find a TA11?
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:24:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I would say TA31 or TA11. I run TA31's and am looking at getting the 11.
An ACOG is exactly what you are looking for and yes you will drop a good amount of felt weight
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#3]
ACOGs are okay optics for what they do, had one for my last rifle qual and shot 40/40 with one, which was the best I had ever done. I'm normally a 27~33 shooter so I definitely attribute my score to the ACOG.

That said, ACOGs have issue with reticle bloom or fibre optics not illuminating depending on local lighting conditions, and tritium is hella more $$$ to replace than batteries. LPOs seem much more versatile for a little bit of weight.

Given you've been looking at fixed optics, I have two suggestions, a fixed-power and LPV option.

1) A Steiner M332 (x3) or M536 (x5) combat optic with an offset irons or Vortex Razor/Venom red dot. SuperSetCA has a great video that shows just how versatile such a set-up can be. You can do it with an ACOG as well but I recommended the Steiner due to a combination of great price, longer eye-relief, Steiner quality and a fast battery-powered reticle that won't wash out.

2) Steiner T5XI 1-5 is a great optic that shares a lot of features with the Razor while only being 20oz. Similarities are: bold German #4-esque reticle with BDC that's super quick to pick up even without illum, daylight bright reticle, and super clear glass. Capped turrets so you don't have to worry about being knocked off zero--and has zero reset so you can dial up and down if needed. One area where Steiner beats out the Razor (IMO) is its VERY generous eyebox, at both x1 and x5--in contrast, I found the Razor too tight at x6; couldn't get behind it without blinking out constantly. I bought the Steiner this Black Friday, waiting for it to come in.

Just a personal recommendation, I'm still new to shooting with magnified optics as the majority of personal+military shooting is through ironsights. Hope it helps though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:30:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Leupold vx6hd 1-6

light weight,tough,great glass and roughly the same price
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Leupold vx6hd 1-6

light weight,tough,great glass and roughly the same price
View Quote
I agree.

If your looking for a LPV that is lighter then the Vortex Razor, without loosing too much by way of capabilities, then the Leupold VX6HD 1-6x is a good option.

Link Posted: 12/3/2017 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Kahles 1-6x, it's a 17oz Razor.
20170924_193438 by B A, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you all for the replies. I took a good look at the Steiner fixed scopes but they are heavy.

My worry about the Leupold and the Khales is that they might not be rugged enough for my purpose. I do not baby my rifle at all.

Of these scopes I think the TA33 is in the front running. I do have the same old complaint about it about FOV. I have never owned a TA31 so I don’t know how bad the eye relief would bother me. Any ideas on these two?
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thank you all for the replies. I took a good look at the Steiner fixed scopes but they are heavy.

My worry about the Leupold and the Khales is that they might not be rugged enough for my purpose. I do not baby my rifle at all.

Of these scopes I think the TA33 is in the front running. I do have the same old complaint about it about FOV. I have never owned a TA31 so I don't know how bad the eye relief would bother me. Any ideas on these two?
View Quote
Kahles is rugged enough to be seen on a few SF guy's rifles. I've run it through several 3 gun comps and two 5k run and guns with no issues.

I've owned a TA33 before. Under no circumstances would I go back to it. Eye relief is much better than the TA31. But the FOV is like staring through a straw.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#9]
The Leupold VX6 is a great scope considering its light weight. The only things I don't like about it are that the illumination control is clumsy and the battery compartment tends to work free so I always have to unscrew it and screw it back in.  You'll usually know this is happening when the illumination starts flickering under recoil.

If you have the dough, the Kahles is the better scope due to its integrated zoom lever, better illumination control and brighter illumination, if you're talking about the GB4 reticle.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Of these scopes I think the TA33 is in the front running. I do have the same old complaint about it about FOV. I have never owned a TA31 so I don’t know how bad the eye relief would bother me. Any ideas on these two?
View Quote
So just to be clear, you'e questioning the reliability of 2 optics companies that have each been around over 3x longer than Vortex; and neither of these companies started with budget, air-soft scopes?

I know the Razor has been chosen by SOCOM but c'mon...
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So just to be clear, you'e questioning the reliability of 2 optics companies that have each been around over 3x longer than Vortex; and neither of these companies started with budget, air-soft scopes?

View Quote
I didn’t question anything. I know they are both amazing quality optic companies. However, I am not comparing them to any Vortex scope. I am looking at ACOGs at this time. So, I would argue that the ACOG has a better track record being rugged. I did employ a Vortex scope on this rifle in the past but that is because I know that it will always be taken care of no matter what. If you could say this about the Khales I might give it a shot.

I am not trying to be argumentative just trying to find the best optic for me. I do appreciate your help.

So, what are your opinions on the TA31? I know it has a short eye relief. How damning is this in your opinion?

This optic only has to be hunting and minute of man accurate. This is not a bench rifle.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#12]
TA47C400151
https://swfa.com/trijicon-2x20-compact-acog-rifle-scope-16.html

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-acog-rco-mount-lt681/
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I didn’t question anything. I know they are both amazing quality optic companies. However, I am not comparing them to any Vortex scope. I am looking at ACOGs at this time. So, I would argue that the ACOG has a better track record being rugged. I did employ a Vortex scope on this rifle in the past but that is because I know that it will always be taken care of no matter what. If you could say this about the Khales I might give it a shot.

I am not trying to be argumentative just trying to find the best optic for me. I do appreciate your help.

So, what are your opinions on the TA31? I know it has a short eye relief. How damning is this in your opinion?

This optic only has to be hunting and minute of man accurate. This is not a bench rifle.
View Quote
I believe that ACOG's are amongst the most robust optics out there; however, I think they are mediocre in just about every other respect. I would give up tank-like ruggedness of the ACOG for the versatility of a 1x variable.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the exact same rifle with a Razor in NFA jail right now,I was contemplating your scope with a Geissele mount,but I like my Razor UH1 so much I ordered a G33 magnifier for it. While waiting for that I simply looked at the drop in moa between the tip of the bottom triangle amd the 1 moa dot,half that distance is about 560 yds,tip of the triangle is 665,and the bottom is around 760. It's my imaginary bdc
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I believe that ACOG's are amongst the most robust optics out there; however, I think they are mediocre in just about every other respect. I would give up tank-like ruggedness of the ACOG for the versatility of a 1x variable.
View Quote
The VCOG is the answer to the ACOG
Built like a tank but now variable
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I have both TA-11 and 33, the 11 is my preferred carbine optic, 33 for sbr.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
For me, running a ta-31 and a suppressor is a no go.

The 11/33’s give you more relief from the gas.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

For me, running a ta-31 and a suppressor is a no go.

The 11/33’s give you more relief from the gas.
View Quote
There is no gas to speak of with my piston gun, adjustable gas block, and low pressure can.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
The 11 isn’t too heavy or doesn’t become too combersome on your rifle?
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don’t mind it at all, compared to a variable it’s light.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/YQTUwY"></a>https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4483/37309298252_569590c388_k.jpg20170924_193438 by B A, on Flickr
View Quote
first of all nice rifle, second...the kahles is a $2100 optic..wow
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:14:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

first of all nice rifle, second...the kahles is a $2100 optic..wow
View Quote
I didn't pay anywhere near that. The EE is a wonderful thing
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:54:46 PM EDT
[#23]
The ta31 is an outstanding optic. It is less forgiving on the eye relief, but great in every other way. It won't let you down and I have used the optic in many different lighting conditions without issue.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The ta31 is an outstanding optic. It is less forgiving on the eye relief, but great in every other way. It won't let you down and I have used the optic in many different lighting conditions without issue.
View Quote
How damning is the eye relief? I might just need to source one close by and see about putting some rounds through it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#25]
OP, have you looked at the Trijicon TR24 with a lightweight Aero Precision mount?

I picked up a TR21 off the EE for a great price and added an Aero Precision SPR mount. I'm not a huge fan of the eye relief on the TR21 and would recommend the TR24, but I find the light weight of the optic and mount combo simply outstanding at about 14oz.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OP, have you looked at the Trijicon TR24 with a lightweight Aero Precision mount?

I picked up a TR21 off the EE for a great price and added an Aero Precision SPR mount. I'm not a huge fan of the eye relief on the TR21 and would recommend the TR24, but I find the light weight of the optic and mount combo simply outstanding at about 14oz.
View Quote
I have looked at them a lot. They are great in every way but I hate their reticle options. I prefer either a BDC or Mil reticle so that I can work out distance shots. Not that I do a lot of long range shooting but options are always good.

Again. Thank you to everyone helping me figure out what to do about this dilemma.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#27]
If you're set on an ACOG, I think the TA33 is the way to go.  That or the TA11.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4483/37309298252_569590c388_k.jpg20170924_193438 by B A, on Flickr
View Quote
Agreed, Kahles in Geissele mount.

Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you're set on an ACOG, I think the TA33 is the way to go.  That or the TA11.
View Quote
Didn’t think I was set on an ACOG but maybe I am. It does hit everything I want. Light, rugged, clear, compensating reticle, simple. Ok. So now I have to run through my three options.

FOV
Size/weight
Eye relief

Pick two. Haha.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#30]
This is what made my decisions

Link Posted: 12/4/2017 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Didn't think I was set on an ACOG but maybe I am. It does hit everything I want. Light, rugged, clear, compensating reticle, simple. Ok. So now I have to run through my three options.

FOV
Size/weight
Eye relief

Pick two. Haha.
View Quote
I would go with a TA11 if eye relief is a concern. The TA33 primary use is CQB IMO. It's like looking through a T1.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#32]
The Leupold VX-6HD and Kahles K16i are both great choices.  I owned the former but decided to sell and get the latter.  Both have their positives and negatives but I like the K16i the best and was willing to pay the extra for it.  If money is a concern, you can get new/slightly used VX-6HD's for under 1k.  And since others are showing off their K16i's, here's mine on a DDM4V11 :

Link Posted: 12/4/2017 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://firearmreviews.net/pictures/guns/trijicon/fov.gif
View Quote
I have read that review a hundred times already. Haha.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://firearmreviews.net/pictures/guns/trijicon/fov.gif
I figured.

I wondered if I should have gotten a 33 after I got my 11.

So I built another rifle to try the 33
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I figured.

I wondered if I should have gotten a 33 after I got my 11.

So I built another rifle to try the 33
View Quote
And if you were walking around a large ranch which one would you choose?
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And if you were walking around a large ranch which one would you choose?
View Quote
Personally, I think the 11 is the best option of the 3.

31 has a great FOV, but you have to be right on it to use it.

33 has great eye relief, but small fov

11 has a little of each’s positives, with its weight being the negative. And it’s not that heavy.

Coming from a razor, it’ll be like it’s not even there.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:23:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I agree.

If your looking for a LPV that is lighter then the Vortex Razor, without loosing too much by way of capabilities, then the Leupold VX6HD 1-6x is a good option.

https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/566/387314.jpg
View Quote
I’ve been very interested in this optic but have yet to encounter one.  If you have used one much, could you pls tell us the pros and cons? The original was said to suffer from some barrel distortion. This one?  I’d also be interested in impressions about durability for light tactical use as some say it’s really a hunting/plinking optic.   If you have/has the original, could you compare them? Much thanks!

And if anyone else can answer these questions, pls chime in.  I’m thinking that it could be a good, lightweight alternative to the ACOG for some defensive applications. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:28:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Here’s a superb comparison (with superb pics too!) that shows how the most popular ACOG models stack up. Required reading for anyone who’s considering an ACOG purchase.

http://www.firearmreviews.net/acog-comparison/
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:36:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Already posted this, but here it is again for you, in case you didn’t see it: Here’s a superb comparison (with superb pics too!) that shows how the most popular ACOG models stack up. Required reading for anyone who’s considering an ACOG purchase.

http://www.firearmreviews.net/acog-comparison/
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 2:23:20 AM EDT
[#40]
I have only one Kahles scope.  It is an older, now discontinued Kahles Helia CL 2-7x36mm hunting scope with German #4 reticle.  It is on a mountain rifle bolt gun, has been hunted hard in remote, unforgiving terrain in terrible weather.  It has held up very well.  Breathtaking optical clarity and brightness.

To be honest, all my Leupold scopes, perhaps a dozen, have seen similar harsh use and none have given any trouble either.  My newest Leupold is a 3-9x40mm VX-R Patrol.  I got it because of the motion activated TMR Firedot reticle and matching milrad turrets.  It's on my Recce AR.  I've taken it hunting a few times.  it gets banged around, but seems plenty rugged.  I like its light 15 ounce weight.  It's not in the same league as the Kahles in low light, but far better than I expected, about VX-3 level.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Pretty much what the title says. I have a MK116 Mod2 PWS with a Dead Air Sandman S on it and the Razor 1-6 in a Larue mount. And she is heavy so, this thing needs to go on a diet. I have been looking at ACOGs pretty much exclusively. This is my do all, beat up, truck, hunting gun. So it needs to be somewhat versital and rugged. I have been eyeing the TA33 and TA31. Let me know what you guys think. Am I overlooking anything?
View Quote
Of the ACOGs, TA-33 and TA-44 are easily my favourite.  That having been said I think Elcan Spectre OS is a better optic than the TA-33, so that is what I use and I am quite happy with it.  Once you accoutn for the weight of the mount, TA-33 and the Elcan weigh almost the same.

I did a couple of articles on 4x prism sights a while back.  I am not sure how helpful they would be in your case, but here are the links:
http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=1344
http://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=1470

I do plan to pick-up TA-44 at some point.

ILya
www.opticsthoughts.com
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Kahles is rugged enough to be seen on a few SF guy's rifles. I've run it through several 3 gun comps and two 5k run and guns with no issues.

I've owned a TA33 before. Under no circumstances would I go back to it. Eye relief is much better than the TA31. But the FOV is like staring through a straw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of these scopes I think the TA33 is in the front running. I do have the same old complaint about it about FOV. I have never owned a TA31 so I don't know how bad the eye relief would bother me. Any ideas on these two?

The TA33 works much better as a red dot with both eyes open than it does as a scope.  It has the option of being a scope and has great glass, but it really shines when utilizing the BAC.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what ACOGs are for.  I like the TA11 more than the TA31, more forgiving eye relief and big field of view.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Try to find a ta11 or look at the TR25 accupoints.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Well if the OP hasn't made a decision or purchase yet, there is another new option:

Nightforce 1-8x scopes:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Nightforce-ATACR-and-NX8-1-8-scopes-are-out-/18-721480/
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top