BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2019 7:41:57 PM EDT
Ok so I very curious how this will turn out given the Eotech haters and recent issues /  “drama”...

If you could only choose ONE... Eotech or Holosun.
(Holosun could include Primary Arms as well

(You may think this thread is redundant with a recent similar thread but it’s different cuz there’s only 2 brands to choose from - and the purpose is trying to discover what most people consider a more trusted and reliable red dot).

And no ... Aimpoint is not an accepted answer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Why is this even a serious consideration? Only one of the two is a combat proven optic that is still in use by America’s elite forces all over the world.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#2]
One has broken on me 3 times and the company didnt stand behind their products and other company is Holosun.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why is this even a serious consideration? Only one of the two is a combat proven optic that is still in use by America’s elite forces all over the world.
View Quote
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Yet we do still have those that don’t / won’t trust EOTech any more after there negative experience or the “scandal”.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
This!   Primary Arms & Holosun make GREAT "Value" optics for your fun gun, but the EoTech is Combat Proven and Tough...
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One has broken on me 3 times and the company didnt stand behind their products and other company is Holosun.
View Quote
Im too slow. My first thought was "one of them kills a pair of batteries in 2 weeks turned off and the other is a PA"
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#6]
EOTech still has less parallax than even real aimpoint red dots.

I’ll take the eotech and some spare batteries in the grip.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep hearing “combat proven” but it is not followed up with “to fail”....  one company was sued by the US government because of failures and putting our brothers and sister in harms way with a sight that could have dramatic zero shifts due to temp.  One company made sights that are known to have high degree of failures and one company makes a sight that devours batteries.

EOTechs are good sights when they work and if you have enough batteries.  After issues that have arose from them I am glad I had a CompM4.  If you want a combat proven sight look to Trijicon or Aimpoint and they stand behind their bomb proof sights that will still work when damaged.  The EOTech only wins on the reticle and it is not that huge of a win to me.

If I had to go into combat I would take a Holosun over an EOTech any day and I would not have to lug 5# of batteries I will go through.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This!   Primary Arms & Holosun make GREAT "Value" optics for your fun gun, but the EoTech is Combat Proven and Tough...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
?????? Primary doesn't make anything in fact,  their red dots are holosun...jhc
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 2 EOTech sights.  One was an early N-cell (yeah, that was fun getting batteries for that one) that would eat batteries like a fat kid until it fell apart and the other AA model has a dim spot in the reticle and needs a wad of tinfoil in the bottom of the battery compartment to work.  Both are no longer under warranty so the N-cell model is in the junk box and the other one has been relegated to service on a .22 plinking rifle.  
By way of contrast, I have a Holosun HS510C on my RDB that has been flawless in its operation.  With features like the shake awake technology, selectable reticle (EOTech ring/dot, dot, or 65 MOA ring) auto-off after 10 minutes and solar powered backup that works when the batteries die (although the CR2032 battery life in Holosun optics can rival the battery life of my Aimpoint) after their 20,000-50,000 hour life span.  If anything goes wrong, there is a limited lifetime warranty but watching some of the torture tests online, the odds of having to use that warranty doesn’t look like it will be needed and those that have had to use the warranty, Holotech has been pretty good about taking care of the customer.  I was impressed with Holosun enough that I just recently ordered another HS503GU for my AR pistol build I’m working on.  That brings me to another advantage of the Holosun and that’s the price.  IIRC, I paid something like $300 or so for the HS510C and I just ordered my HS503GU from Botach for $129.  
So, we’re looking at more advanced features, better battery life, better warranty and at a fraction of the price.  If I can think of one thing EOTech may do better is they are rated for being submerged deeper and longer than the Holosun but since I don’t envision taking my sights into a swimming pool, it’s a rating that really isn’t all that important to me.  Nope, I’ve owned my last EOTech and while I still like my Aimpoint, I’m a Holosun convert and have no regrets in buying their optics.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've seen way, *way* more EOTechs fail than Holosun.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:47:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Redundant purse swinging thread .
View Quote
“Purse swinging” ?
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just wait for it.....
View Quote
Hmm... okay.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#15]
When you get one that works and is reliable, EOTech all the way.  Unfortunately, they've been a crap-shoot.

Yes, I have a few EOTech's and no issues, but the term "combat proven" is a misnomer.  I saw a cheap WalMart scope in Afghanistan; assuming it survived, should I say it's "Combat Proven"?  Most here will never push their optics as hard as a very small minority will in a combat theater...ever.  Instead, take a look at the numerous CONUS classes and competitions and you'll see some excellent feedback on Holosun optics through some hard use.  For the money, Holosun is the top choice.  If you want something that was issued and has a questionable fail-rate in a combat environment...EOTech.

I won't give up my EOTech's yet, but if I had as much frustration as some on reliability and warranty coverage, I wouldn't hesitate to choose Holosun.  In fact, while in Afghanistan, I did purchase a EXPS-3, but I also have a half-dozen Holosun optics awaiting my return and experimentation.  I guess my odds would be 6:1 Holosun to EOTech

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 12:13:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is why I lumped them BOTH together as "Primary Arms & Holosun".    They are made in China, but still a good value & features for maximum Bang for the Buck...

However, I can't recall ever seeing US Combat troops issued or even using Holosun - Primary Arms red dots...

I had some Good EOTechs (didn't have any issues besides them eating Lithium AA like jellybeans).   But I didn't like the short life of batteries and the thermal shift problem was a sweet opportunity to get out of EOTech for what I had paid for them.   Had good use and they paid me 100% when the opened the returns for refunds over the thermal shift issues.

EDITED - that said, all my SERIOUS USE ARs all mount AimPoints for the long battery life and extreme rugged construction.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 1:25:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Hmm... okay.
View Quote
What hes saying is theres been two sides spouting the same crap in the Eotech vs whatever RDS threads, or are Eotechs G2G? threads. Your thread title seems to indicate you may have seen them already.
The anti Eotech guys will come out and say theyre a lying company they defrauded the gov and put our men and women in combat situations at risk and theyd rather own a Holosun or PA red dot. And no matter what Eotech says their shit is broke and unfixable.

The pro Eotech guys will tell how theyve had great results with their optics pre and post recall models or whatever. Then theyll say that no other optic works quite as well as Eotechs that Vortexs holo sight was a damned good effort but the Eotech does it better. Theyll point out that USSOCOM used to use Eotechs and then when the issue came out, while they were supposed to find something else Spec Ops guys still used them and SOCOM even reselected the most recent iterations of the Eotechs.

At this point some anti Eotech guy will point out that SOCOM guys can simply go to the arms room and swap optics if they have an issue with their Eotech. The pro Eotech guy will then point out that despite the possibility of the shooter being able to get a new optic in the arms room he still needs an optic to get the job done in the mean time and Eotechs were chosen for the role despite the fact that most of the high speed guys are not using BUIS nearly as much as they used to anymore. Then the same talking points will get reused over and over and over ad nausem.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 2:01:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I’ve had both. I got rid of the EOtech and kept the Holosun.

No regrets.

Battery life for the win.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 2:24:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not true at all. The advanced micro dot with the dial is all PA. The advanced micro with the push buttons the Holosun
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 4:57:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Holosun. And I walk the talk. Any of my non-scoped rifles wear Holosun/PA red dots. And with one exception, all are the PA ACSS version they collaborated on. Paired with a 3x magnifier, it absolutely kicks ass. As feature rich as any RDS available.

Full disclosure, I had one with an issue out of the box. The auto-wake/auto-off feature didn’t want to work. Primary Arms said they’d be happy to replace it. But, since it has a ~50k hour battery life, I just haven’t gotten around to sending it back. Aside from the auto-on/off issue it works perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not true at all. The advanced micro dot with the dial is all PA. The advanced micro with the push buttons the Holosun
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pa isnt making anything!  Its rebranded knock off or outright copy.  Just like millet, vortex and now holosun.  Sone of u guys haven't a clue how this works.  Internals are the same 99% of the time.  Pa isnt making anything!!@
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Holosun. And I walk the talk. Any of my non-scoped rifles wear Holosun/PA red dots. And with one exception, all are the PA ACSS version they collaborated on. Paired with a 3x magnifier, it absolutely kicks ass. As feature rich as any RDS available.

Full disclosure, I had one with an issue out of the box. The auto-wake/auto-off feature didn’t want to work. Primary Arms said they’d be happy to replace it. But, since it has a ~50k hour battery life, I just haven’t gotten around to sending it back. Aside from the auto-on/off issue it works perfectly.
View Quote
I like 1-4x mtacs but holosun on 2 rigs.  Great little optics
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 8:37:19 AM EDT
[#23]
The hilarity of comparing an optic that has put more shithead sub-humans in the ground than just about anything else we issue out and a shitty ripoff Chicom Aimpoint with a wannabe reticle and probably more parallax than a T-1.

Hokay.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd take a Holosun over an Eotech.

Eotech just has too many issues.

If you're considering spending Eotech money, just get an Aimpoint and be done.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
This debate comes down to people who can’t/won’t spend the cheddar for a quality optic and justify buying cheap shit by crying about thermal drift and how Eotech betrayed its customers, etc. that’s fine if you don’t buy Eotech out of principal but don’t try to church up your holosun like you would storm the beaches of Normandy with it if you could afford something better.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What hes saying is theres been two sides spouting the same crap in the Eotech vs whatever RDS threads, or are Eotechs G2G? threads. Your thread title seems to indicate you may have seen them already.
The anti Eotech guys will come out and say theyre a lying company they defrauded the gov and put our men and women in combat situations at risk and theyd rather own a Holosun or PA red dot. And no matter what Eotech says their shit is broke and unfixable.

The pro Eotech guys will tell how theyve had great results with their optics pre and post recall models or whatever. Then theyll say that no other optic works quite as well as Eotechs that Vortexs holo sight was a damned good effort but the Eotech does it better. Theyll point out that USSOCOM used to use Eotechs and then when the issue came out, while they were supposed to find something else Spec Ops guys still used them and SOCOM even reselected the most recent iterations of the Eotechs.

At this point some anti Eotech guy will point out that SOCOM guys can simply go to the arms room and swap optics if they have an issue with their Eotech. The pro Eotech guy will then point out that despite the possibility of the shooter being able to get a new optic in the arms room he still needs an optic to get the job done in the mean time and Eotechs were chosen for the role despite the fact that most of the high speed guys are not using BUIS nearly as much as they used to anymore. Then the same talking points will get reused over and over and over ad nausem.
View Quote
Ah I see. Thank you so much for explaining and with such detail. Yes I have heard the EoTech issue stuff - although I wasn’t intentionally trying to “repeat” another thread like that. I was just genuinely trying to see what people trust more at this point, EOTECH or a decent cheaper budget Chinese Red Dot.
Thank you again for explaining.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This debate comes down to people who can’t/won’t spend the cheddar for a quality optic and justify buying cheap shit by crying about thermal drift and how Eotech betrayed its customers, etc. that’s fine if you don’t buy Eotech out of principal but don’t try to church up your holosun like you would storm the beaches of Normandy with it if you could afford something better.
View Quote
I'd storm the beaches of Normandy with a Holosun.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
The debate actually comes down to the fact EOTech has an unacceptably high failure rate which I've witnessed to be demonstrated first hand far too many times.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I voted EOTech but I am more of an Aimpoint guy.

However, the Holosun 515GM "military grade" model look really good on paper.  I would be interested to see someone do a parallax test on the these models.  These cost more but still about 2/3 of an Aimpoint.

The HS515GM is a ruggedized micro red dot sight with the option of a 2 MOA dot only or a 2 MOA dot with a 65 MOA circle reticle pattern. Employing LED technology, the life time for one CR2032 battery can reach 2 years if left on constantly. However, the shake awake feature also works to extend the battery life. Extra rugged features including a CNC milled 7075 Aluminum housing, pressure tested for submersion up to 30 meters for 30 minutes and a snag free housing design that protects the windage and elevation turrets.

Includes:

Lower 1/3 co-witness quick release mount with removable spacer
Clear flip-up lens covers
Kill flash filter

Specifications:

Reticle: 65 MOA Circle Dot
Attachment/ Mount Type: 1/3 Mount
Included Accessories: Maintenance Tools
Magnification: 1 x
Objective Lens Diameter: 22 mm
Length: 2.44 in
Weight: 7
Tube Diameter: 20 mm
Battery Type: CR2032
Color Family: Black
Color: Black
Illumination: 10DLt/ 2NV compat
Illumination Type: LED
Height: 1.37 in
Width: 1.77 in
Battery Life: Range 20,000 - 50,000 hours
Parallax: Parallax Free
W/E Travel at 100 Yds: 50 MOA
Adjustment Click Value: 0.5 MOA
Fabric/Material: Hard Anodized
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#30]
For what I use it for holosun all the way
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#31]
After three failed optics and their corporate failure to stand behind a "junk" product, EOTech is no longer even a consideration for me.  EoTech is OUT!

Holosun, Primary Arms (not all are rebranded Holosun optics), Vortex, Aimpoint, Leupold,... ANYBODY but EOTech.

It's that simple.

Battery life is a BS issue.  Once battery life exceeds a day or two, it becomes a non-issue.  The difference between 6 months and 6 years is irrelevant.

Parallax is also BS.  I know how to avoid parallax - I was trained this way from the very beginning.  I can also shoot accurately in its presence.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
After three failed optics and their corporate failure to stand behind a "junk" product, EOTech is no longer even a consideration for me.  EoTech is OUT!

Holosun, Primary Arms (not all are rebranded Holosun optics), Vortex, Aimpoint, Leupold,... ANYBODY but EOTech.

It's that simple.

Battery life is a BS issue.  Once battery life exceeds a day or two, it becomes a non-issue.  The difference between 6 months and 6 years is irrelevant.

Parallax is also BS.  I know how to avoid parallax - I was trained this way from the very beginning.  I can also shoot accurately in its presence.
View Quote
I know how to avoid parallax too but I would still rather have an optic with less parallax sensitivity because I can't predict that I will always be able to shoot with a perfectly centered dot...

With that said, I still haven't given up my T1...
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is true and my first thought as well...but, on the other hand, I have always struggled to understand why people chose to take the Eotech into combat.

I've always assumed that I was just missing something obvious, that there was something I wasn't understanding...because it just doesn't make sense: they are gigantic, heavy, and their battery life due to the holographic technology is YEARS less than a red dot.

But...there must be some reason why people still pay many hundreds of dollars for them, more than most red dots, right?  The implicit assumption is that it is easier to look through, or gives less parallax or something...but all the comparison reviews I've seen between Eotech vs Red Dot didn't show any noticeable reductions in parallax as compared to a good red dot.  (hint: Both have parallax, even the ones that say parallax free).

The Eotech also doesn't provide for some magical new optical viewing experience...you use it the same way, both eyes open, and it looks exactly like a red dot, just maybe a little granier.  In fact, there are cheap chinese clones / fake Eotechs that use red dot technology, and most people wouldn't notice a difference.

So far as I can tell, holographic tech is just a convoluted way of making a red dot sight that uses 1000x more battery juice...and somehow their marketing team succeeded in convincing everyone that it was some kind of new magic aiming tech.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
You and me both.

Every EOTech I owned (4) were lemons.

At least with PA and Holosun, you get your moneys worth. You don't get your moneys worth with EOTech.

You do with full sized Aimpoints though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've seen way, *way* more EOTechs fail than Holosun.
View Quote
An American company needs to reverse engineer all the Holosun products and make them better. Then put them out under another name
and, charge half price till they steal, uhm take over the market. I mean whats fair is fair right?
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like OP wants an Aimpoint but keeps dancing around a budget option anyways.

Deployment? ACOG or Aimpoint. I personally wouldn’t trust an EO Tech.

HD/SD? Trij, Aimpoint, EO Tech, Holosun, PA, Sig, Vortex, etc etc etc.

If it bothers you that much OP, just pony up for the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The hilarity of comparing an optic that has put more shithead sub-humans in the ground than just about anything else we issue out and a shitty ripoff Chicom Aimpoint with a wannabe reticle and probably more parallax than a T-1.

Hokay.
View Quote
This is the Optics equivalent of 1911 bros rambling on about "TWO WORLD WARS!!!"

EoTechs have a track record of very real and significant issues.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

An American company needs to reverse engineer all the Holosun products and make them better. Then put them out under another name
and, charge half price till they steal, uhm take over the market. I mean whats fair is fair right?
View Quote
I would definitely pay more for an American or Japanese version of some of the Holosun optics. A fairly considerable amount more.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I voted EOTech but I am more of an Aimpoint guy.

However, the Holosun 515GM "military grade" model look really good on paper.  I would be interested to see someone do a parallax test on the these models.  These cost more but still about 2/3 of an Aimpoint.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-9j9zreeu/images/stencil/608x608/products/54353/146183/opplanet-holosun-military-grade-micro-hs515gm-main__20585.1504289790.1200.1200__48413.1524148242.jpg?c=2

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-9j9zreeu/images/stencil/608x608/products/54353/146180/opplanet-holosun-military-grade-micro-hs515gm-back-v2__96427.1504289791.1200.1200__43923.1524148241.jpg?c=2

The HS515GM is a ruggedized micro red dot sight with the option of a 2 MOA dot only or a 2 MOA dot with a 65 MOA circle reticle pattern. Employing LED technology, the life time for one CR2032 battery can reach 2 years if left on constantly. However, the shake awake feature also works to extend the battery life. Extra rugged features including a CNC milled 7075 Aluminum housing, pressure tested for submersion up to 30 meters for 30 minutes and a snag free housing design that protects the windage and elevation turrets.

Includes:

Lower 1/3 co-witness quick release mount with removable spacer
Clear flip-up lens covers
Kill flash filter

Specifications:

Reticle: 65 MOA Circle Dot
Attachment/ Mount Type: 1/3 Mount
Included Accessories: Maintenance Tools
Magnification: 1 x
Objective Lens Diameter: 22 mm
Length: 2.44 in
Weight: 7
Tube Diameter: 20 mm
Battery Type: CR2032
Color Family: Black
Color: Black
Illumination: 10DLt/ 2NV compat
Illumination Type: LED
Height: 1.37 in
Width: 1.77 in
Battery Life: Range 20,000 - 50,000 hours
Parallax: Parallax Free
W/E Travel at 100 Yds: 50 MOA
Adjustment Click Value: 0.5 MOA
Fabric/Material: Hard Anodized
View Quote
I wonder if how the electronics are assembled / installed is improved as well. I think that’s one of the big strengths of Aimpoint’s is that aspect. I’ve read / heard that the Chinese optics don’t have as strong of a method of making sure the LED stays in its place or something like that. Something  about how they attach that aspect of the optic.

I’d probably still go with Aimpoint PRO at that close of a price point.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sounds like OP wants an Aimpoint but keeps dancing around a budget option anyways.

Deployment? ACOG or Aimpoint. I personally wouldn’t trust an EO Tech.

HD/SD? Trij, Aimpoint, EO Tech, Holosun, PA, Sig, Vortex, etc etc etc.

If it bothers you that much OP, just pony up for the Aimpoint.
View Quote
I truly don’t have money for an Aimpoint. So I’m left between Holosun / PA and Eotech. I can find Eotech 512’s for around $300 and this is truly stretching my budget a good margin. Lots of Eotech failures / problems well documented  and cuz of that I think it’s a genuine question of “what’s more reliable” - EOTECH or Holosun. I’ve rarely bought cheaper things - especially a cheaper optic. I’m definitely wanting a high assurance that it won’t fail me when I need it and honestly ... reported EOTech failures seem more abundant than Holosun failures from what I’ve experienced ...  but obviously that could be cuz EOTECH has been around longer as well.

Anyways - sure, who wouldn’t love an Aimpoint if bursary was no limit and/or everyone could afford them ? But that’s not the point of this thread.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I truly don't have money for an Aimpoint. So I'm left between Holosun / PA and Eotech. I can find Eotech 512's for around $300 and this is truly stretching my budget a good margin. Lots of Eotech failures / problems well documented  and cuz of that I think it's a genuine question of "what's more reliable" - EOTECH or Holosun. I've rarely bought cheaper things - especially a cheaper optic. I'm definitely wanting a high assurance that it won't fail me when I need it and honestly ... reported EOTech failures seem more abundant than Holosun failures from what I've experienced ...  but obviously that could be cuz EOTECH has been around longer as well.

Anyways - sure, who wouldn't love an Aimpoint if bursary was no limit and/or everyone could afford them ? But that's not the point of this thread.
View Quote
If you can add $30 you can afford a PRO. They pop up in the EE all the time for $330 shipped to you like 5x a wekk. Go look right now there is one on there with a rubber cover for $370.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you can add $30 you can afford a PRO. They pop up in the EE all the time for $330 shipped to you like 5x a wekk. Go look right now there is one on there with a rubber cover for $370.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I truly don't have money for an Aimpoint. So I'm left between Holosun / PA and Eotech. I can find Eotech 512's for around $300 and this is truly stretching my budget a good margin. Lots of Eotech failures / problems well documented  and cuz of that I think it's a genuine question of "what's more reliable" - EOTECH or Holosun. I've rarely bought cheaper things - especially a cheaper optic. I'm definitely wanting a high assurance that it won't fail me when I need it and honestly ... reported EOTech failures seem more abundant than Holosun failures from what I've experienced ...  but obviously that could be cuz EOTECH has been around longer as well.

Anyways - sure, who wouldn't love an Aimpoint if bursary was no limit and/or everyone could afford them ? But that's not the point of this thread.
When you get to affording $300, a few $$ more gets you into an Aimpoint PRO. We had a local store have new PRO's on sale for $371 not a bad price for new.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#44]
I voted Holosun, although there are problems with warranty processing.
But I have the same problems with Eotech. So I bought a Holosun because of cheaper price.
As a European Aimpoint seems to be the best option. But I really like my Holosun green dot sight.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Jesus. A nearly guaranteed to fail optic, versus a Chinese made optic.

It pains me to say this.... but Holosun. I have more faith in Holosun shit to actually work. My EOTech shit the bed. The one they replaced it with got sold.

If I had any other option, I'd choose it. Aimpoint, DI Optical, Leupold, or an LVPO.

But... in this scenario... Holosun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#46]
never thought ARFCOM would choose chicom knockoffs ....
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:33:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Yet we do still have those that don't / won't trust EOTech any more after there negative experience or the "scandal".
View Quote
Honestly, having owned an eotech.....my issue with them is two-fold.

1)  I don't like their QC issues and delamination issues.
2)  Their stuff is great for a weapon you know you are going to a fight with before the fight happens (patrol, whatever).  But for a gun that is in a corner waiting for a fight that you don't know is going to happen.....battery life sucks and it can't be constant-on.  If they'd make a movement activated feature, it would be a lot better for me.

I don't need a combat proven optic when the PA/holosun stuff can take a pretty severe beating and keep working.  I'm not military anymore and the biggest issues my optics face is falling over or bumping around under a truck seat.  PA/holosun can do that easily.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The debate actually comes down to the fact EOTech has an unacceptably high failure rate which I've witnessed to be demonstrated first hand far too many times.
View Quote
Yep. Read the OP of this thread:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/High_round_count_optics__over_100_000_rounds__and_how_they_handled_at_our_range/5-1790052/
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I voted Holosun, although there are problems with warranty processing.
But I have the same problems with Eotech. So I bought a Holosun because of cheaper price.
As a European Aimpoint seems to be the best option. But I really like my Holosun green dot sight.
View Quote
What’s the problem with the warranty processing?
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What’s the problem with the warranty processing?
View Quote
Ordered my first Holosun green dot from a dealer in the U.S. (it was brand new and not available here in Europe).
It took about 5 weeks til it was delivered (that's the normal time it takes to pass the customs).
When it arrived I noticed a technical issue with this sight.
The dealer said: "Returns only within 30 days"- this time was over, he didn't want to help me. The manufacturer said: "Yes, usually we would replace this item in warranty, but we cannot send it to you because we don't have an export license".
They also didn't wanted to help me... because as a chinese manufacturer it would be really easy to bypass ITAR. Simply send the item directly from China factory to Europe and there will not be any troubles with ITAR because this item will never be on U.S. ground.... But like I said, they didn't want to help me.

A friend of mine sent his defective EOTech to the manufacturer in the U.S. When they received the sight they told him that they need a completed form (BIS711?) to re-export it. But no one here knows how to get this form...

So mostly it is really hard to do business with companies in the U.S. although I really like some of their products.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top