Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2017 5:36:30 PM EDT
Hello everyone,

I have a new 300 blk pistol build with a ghost firearms 7.5 inch barrel, it fired fine a few times, now every time the nickel/boron BCG and charging handle get stuck to the point that I have to break the rifle apart. It wont easily come apart, the bcg is sitting in the buffer tube somewhat. finally I was able to remove the bcg prying a screw driver against it and the mag well. I swapped the bcg out with my A2 bcg, and it works flawlessly, and the nickel/boron bcg now does not work properly in my A2 clone. Is this a bad bcg? its new from PSA.

Thanks for all of your help,

Mike
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Sound s like its bad. Did you strip it down and look for issues?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd send it back.  I got one from them that stuck a little but I used frog lube and it seems to run fine. Could be the buffer tube but bolt carrier may be out of spec.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I took it apart, cleaned it, lubed it, I didn't see anything wrong on it and it seems to function fine out of the gun. When it is screwing up, it is acting like it is partially locked in the lugs but did not go all the way forward. My ffl told me he had never seen a bcg out of spec in 30 years when I had him head space it, go figure.  Thanks for the reply....
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The last time I had an issue similar to this, it was the buffer retainer pin that was about 1mm to tall.
Filed it down and no more issues.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you sully,

I did as you suggested, removed the bolt and firing pin and placed the carrier back in the pistol. It will not go all the way forward, it is stuck again, I had to pry it back again with a screw driver. Now it seems to be working, I have re-assembled it, and cant get it to stick now, haven't fired it yet but it seems to be working, I don't get it. Maybe it just needed to be taken apart and put back together, I will update after I test fire it again, also thanks to everyone else for your comments.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Had the same issue with PSA Premium NIB BCG ordered in December as well. The machining or coating inside the gas key resulted in too small a diameter opening. It binds on the gas tube preventing the bcg from going into battery. If lubed enough it will go into battery when slammed home but has to be mortared to open it.

Called PSA today and got a return tag and will exchange for hopefully one from a different batch.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#8]
psa is not the right company to use their parts in other rifles... they have mostly all proprietary machining processes making some of their parts NOT interchangeable with other platforms, call PSA, they have good customer service even though they know the parts dont work in other brands platforms... youll prob have to buy a psa upper to run that bcg, but then youll need one of their uppers for the pins to line up, then youll have to build a new rifle based on a bcg purchase.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 1:37:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I had something very simular happen in a new build that i had done with all top of the line parts. The BCG would hang up and the charging handle was stuck about 1/2 way back. Couldn't open the rifle up so I had to mortar the hell outta it to get it to return to battery. Swapped the BCG and CH out with others...all was good. Go back to the others, stuck like hell. I lubed it to death to no avail and I'll damned, it just started working like it should. Maybe there was a tiny burr I'd overlooked somewhere, but it works like a champ now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
psa is not the right company to use their parts in other rifles... they have mostly all proprietary machining processes making some of their parts NOT interchangeable with other platforms, call PSA, they have good customer service even though they know the parts dont work in other brands platforms... youll prob have to buy a psa upper to run that bcg, but then youll need one of their uppers for the pins to line up, then youll have to build a new rifle based on a bcg purchase.
View Quote
This is false. I've bought many parts from PSA...including BCG. They have all worked perfectly. I HAVE NOT used a nickel boron so I can't comment if those are out of spec or if you got a bad one or your chamber is out of spec.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can post that all you want its BS. We virtually all use PSA parts with no issues at all. For a long time their carriers were Toolcraft and a lot of their barrels are FN.

So much for proprietary...
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sorry but no. PSA parts work fine with other parts. I have a bunch of PSA stuff mixed with other stuff.
The problem sounds like the gas key / gas tube alignment is off? Use a flat head screw driver to adjust the gas tube into place inside the upper.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Had the same issue with PSA Premium NIB BCG ordered in December as well. The machining or coating inside the gas key resulted in too small a diameter opening. It binds on the gas tube preventing the bcg from going into battery. If lubed enough it will go into battery when slammed home but has to be mortared to open it.

Called PSA today and got a return tag and will exchange for hopefully one from a different batch.
View Quote
Just to update, the replacement BCG works great no issues. Sounds like they may have bad a bad batch of NB bcg gas keys.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top