Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2018 1:02:42 PM EDT
Springfield ROC slide will not lock back on empty mag and cannot lock it back manually. Everything else functions properly, shoots and cycles fine. What's going on?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Springfield ROC slide will not lock back on empty mag and cannot lock it back manually. Everything else functions properly, shoots and cycles fine. What's going on?
View Quote
Sounds like a problem with the slide lock.
The mag follower lifts it up to lock the slide.

Put an empty mag in and fully retract the slide.

Look down in the ejection ports and watch what is happening.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can't lock it back manually, doubt the mag follower will lift the lock. Can you move the lock to break the gun down?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you can't lock it back manually, doubt the mag follower will lift the lock. Can you move the lock to break the gun down?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#4]
You may have a sheared-off lug on the top of the slide stop or a damaged slide notch.  Alternatively, the slide stop may not be installed properly (i.e., not fully inserted flush the the frame).
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
First field strip and clean.  As you take it apart look closely at the parts.  If you don't know what they should look like get a photo of a field stripped firearm of the same type.  Often something as small as a burr will cause things to go wrong.

You'd be amazed how many times cleaning a firearm, even a supposedly clean one, will fix things.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have a recoil spring buffer in it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you have a recoil spring buffer in it?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote
The shock buffer will shorten the slide travel, which can become an issue as the 1911 slides get shorter.  Does it lock back when the buffer is removed?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably the buffer.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn! I got it, pilot error. slide stop was not completely flush, thanks ken_mays. I can't believe it still shot in this condition. Is there a trick to getting the ss in all the way? I must have tried a dozen times before it "magically" went all the way in. ( I know that's what she said.)
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Springfields tend to have a long plunger and it can be a struggle to nudge it in enough to get the SS going.  Some folks file a groove into the SS that cams the plunger out of the way and guides it so it doesn't get wedged in the slot on the SS.

Attachment Attached File

Another trick is to use a small jeweler screwdriver or similar tool inserted through the frame window from the inside to hold the plunger back while you insert the SS.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#12]
ETA  Wow! ken_mays you beat me to it!

OP, I believe you had this same issue a month ago or so. You need to push in the plunger that bears against the slide stop with a small/flat tool, while pressing the slide stop into the frame. Stock Springfields usually require this.

I have done this mod on all of my 1911s that needed it. Simple needle file work right where the plunger meets the slide stop. Be careful NOT to affect the area below the new notch(where the magazine follower engages to actuate it up to slide lock). Any good 1911 gunsmith can do this. The slide stop snaps right in after the mod.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you guys think an aftermarket slide stop might solve this? Something like 10-8 0r Wilson.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I would just get yours notched.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Another thing I've done sometimes is to remove the plunger assembly and shorten the front plunger (the stepped one that bears against the slide stop.)

Generally if you file the round end flat and then chuck it in a drill and use a file to round it again, it should be very close to the proper length.

This eliminates the need to file the slide stop (and on stainless SAs this is good because the slide stop is not stainless but chrome plated) and if you mess up the plunger, it's a $1.00 part.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Another thing I've done sometimes is to remove the plunger assembly and shorten the front plunger (the stepped one that bears against the slide stop.)

Generally if you file the round end flat and then chuck it in a drill and use a file to round it again, it should be very close to the proper length.

This eliminates the need to file the slide stop (and on stainless SAs this is good because the slide stop is not stainless but chrome plated) and if you mess up the plunger, it's a $1.00 part.
View Quote
It is definitely quick and easy to chuck the plunger up in your drill and spin it until it's a little shorter. You'll need to get it out by removing the thumb safety so look up that procedure if you don't know how. It'll be good for you to see how these parts work together, too. The whole gun comes apart with little effort once you start detail stripping it. It really makes you appreciate the mechanical mind of John Browning. All of the little "systems" that work cohesively as one machine designed well over a hundred years ago. Mind blowing.

This is a fairly new stainless SA 1911A1 Mil-Spec I have and it came with a stainless slide stop. It is a cast part though. I have run this gun pretty hard and the slide stop doesn't look worn or stressed in the least. The notch does not affect any other operation in the gun other than making it easy to snap in the frame during reassembly. It needs to be in exactly the right spot to be effective. You have to be sure not to remove any material the magazine follower contacts as well.
My notched slide stop. I would practice cutting small grooves with a needle file in something like a hard bolt head before going for it yourself. A good gunsmith should be able to do this with no trouble.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Slide locks back on manual retartaction but fails to lock back on ammo.  Its a specific mag and the leg of the follower goes up over the slide stop for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Slide locks back on manual retartaction but fails to lock back on ammo.  Its a specific mag and the leg of the follower goes up over the slide stop for some reason.
View Quote
The OP realized he did not have the slide stop all of the way in so that problem is solved. He is now addressing how to efficiently get his slide stop inserted in the frame for reassembly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top