Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/11/2019 11:06:35 PM EDT
This is a [Glock] GLR-440 stock that was permanently converted to a pistol brace using a GHW MOD-1 Pistol Brace. The entire metamorphosis only took about 20 minutes to complete.  The brace will be tested with a Glock 19.3 but will ultimately be primarily used with a G20.3 or a G17.3. The brace can be quickly deployed to 3 length settings. I intend to add a QD sling adapter to the tube extension.

Here's a few pics of the process..:

Please feel free to chime in with your commentary and/or opinions. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like it'd work, but an Endo adapter might be easier...more brace options.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 5:10:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks fantastic!

I wish Beretta would make a 93R "semi auto" clone with such a pistol brace
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 4:23:40 PM EDT
[#3]
If that's sold as a stock I don't see how adding a tailhook makes it a brace.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If that's sold as a stock I don't see how adding a tailhook makes it a brace.
View Quote
Are you being serious? Adapters that legally convert a Stock to a Pistol Brace are sold world wide.  The Gear Head Works Mod-1 Pistol Brace is one of the most popular Braces available.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks great OP. I was actually wondering why someone hadn't done that yet.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
My two centa - because you asked. You just made another stock. The position of the Tailhook is so low it could not be used as intended. If you place your arm through it, it’s not likely to like up with the grip. One thought - flip the brace over, remove the cheek piece and make sure it functions as intended. Or just don’t do anything...your choice.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My two centa - because you asked. You just made another stock. The position of the Tailhook is so low it could not be used as intended. If you place your arm through it, it’s not likely to like up with the grip. One thought - flip the brace over, remove the cheek piece and make sure it functions as intended. Or just don’t do anything...your choice.
View Quote
Good observation..! The brace does sit a little low to the bore but It works as a Brace perfectly. I’ll post photos soon. BTW, I appreciate your input.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I second this observation.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#9]
https://shockwavetechnologies.com/product/black-shockwave-blade-kit-for-glocks/
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I was always under the impression that adding a mod1 to a pistol buffer still kept it as a pistol, but doesn't automatically turn something legally classified as stock into a brace.

I'm just basing that on what I learn from these forums. There was another discussion from someone who cut down the buttpad from an M4 stock and fitted a Strongarm brace, and the general consensus was "It's still a stock".

So is the device that you started with NOT classified as a stock? I'm just trying to clarify, cause if it's legal, I'd do it to my gen4 G40 tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#11]
As designed, how do you shoot it?
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As designed, how do you shoot it?
View Quote
Not sure I understand your question. Before or after the conversion to pistol brace..?
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was always under the impression that adding a mod1 to a pistol buffer still kept it as a pistol, but doesn't automatically turn something legally classified as stock into a brace.

I'm just basing that on what I learn from these forums. There was another discussion from someone who cut down the buttpad from an M4 stock and fitted a Strongarm brace, and the general consensus was "It's still a stock".

So is the device that you started with NOT classified as a stock? I'm just trying to clarify, cause if it's legal, I'd do it to my gen4 G40 tomorrow.
View Quote
Stocks are available for purchase separately and can be modified to a pistol brace.  Pistol brace adapters are widely available for that purpose.

Most Stocks that are disassembled and converted to a pistol brace retain the ability to be converted back to a Stock.  One should not keep the factory [butt] stock components once the conversion is made.  Some Stocks have to be completely and permanently modified to a pistol brace. My Glock pistol brace cannot be converted back to a stock. Without the tailhook brace it’s just a pistol brace tube extension.

Link Posted: 3/15/2019 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I dont see how this can be used as a brace.  Simply replacing a stock butt pad, with a device designed to be used as a brace, does not make a stock a brace.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I dont see how this can be used as a brace.  Simply replacing a stock butt pad, with a device designed to be used as a brace, does not make a stock a brace.
View Quote
Sure it is. Look at adjustable buffer extensions in the AR world. Do exactly that.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sure it is. Look at adjustable buffer extensions in the AR world. Do exactly that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Take a picture with your arm in both and post please. This will explain the difference.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Take a picture with your arm in both and post please. This will explain the difference.
View Quote
I meant legally, not physically. I understand what your saying.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Perfect fit..

The brace will really shine once I attach the optic mount, optic, light and the Gemtech GM9..

Photos coming soon...

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ve decided to use the brace with a Glock 17.3 The GS is here this weekend so I’m hoping I won’t have too much trouble finding one. The G19.3 will be placed back in the Roni and kept there as the primary host pistol.

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Are you being serious? Adapters that legally convert a Stock to a Pistol Brace are sold world wide.  The Gear Head Works Mod-1 Pistol Brace is one of the most popular Braces available.
View Quote
LOP?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

LOP?
View Quote
Adjustable
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks great, good work!
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Looks great, good work!
View Quote
Thank you.

A few more pieces to the puzzle ....

Link Posted: 3/22/2019 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Please tell me it will work with a gen 2.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Please tell me it will work with a gen 2.
View Quote
Yeppers.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#26]
From the picture of it being held - It actually looks "Useful" as a brace, not just as a brace in name only!

The tailhook Mod 1 has been sold to modify MP5 stocks to braces for pistols lots of them out there - only difference here is this is actually better at being a pistol brace for one handed shooting.

How is this any different than say someone that wants a wood "grip" for a Remington TAC-14 and cuts and sands down a stock to do so?  The stock was just the source of material in the process to make it something else
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Is your Glock registered as a SBR? If not then you are not in legal bounds!
Please check with the ATF to find out for sure.
The "BRACE" is not allowed for PISTOL size weapons. ONLY for heavier types, like AR15s.
Please check so you stay out of Jail.
BUT, BOY! DO I HOPE I AM WRONG!
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Pictures are worth a thousand words. I'd say good to go.

With that said, I'm not in authority to make it official either.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I decided to do the sling swivel mod today so I drove to Academy and found the Uncle Mike's kit for 9 bucks. The kit actually contains 2 swivels. The mod was easy to do and the install only took about 5 minutes from start to finish. I drilled through the brace tube and installed the stud which is tightly secured with the nut. The stud turned out to be the perfect length with the added plastic washers on each end.

I think it came out petty good. :)

Link Posted: 3/24/2019 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#31]
So I’m off to the GS today to hunt for a Glock 17L for the brace. Will I find one ..?
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Just returned from the GS. There was a good turn out this afternoon.  I ran into a few G40s, G34s and a ton of G17s but disappointed that no one had a G17L, not even a used one. I called a local store to check inventory and was told to call back in a week. Hmmm....
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Adjustable
View Quote
What's the LOP of your setup at it's maximum extension as measured in accordance with ATF regs?
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Why not the Endo adapter and GHW tailhook gen 2? I'm not a fan of the mako stock adapter, the thing flexes like crazy, while the Endo supports the upper part of the frame as well as the bottom. The angle would probably be better also.

I have a G34 SBR with the Endo and it's fantastic. I don't see a whole lot of point of running a 17L. If a threaded bbl is used in a 34, it's just about as long as a stock G17L bbl, so outside of a tiny bit more sight radius the advantages of the L are minimal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What's the LOP of your setup at it's maximum extension as measured in accordance with ATF regs?
View Quote
It's [adjustible] to the maximum length allowed per (current) ATF regs.  Somewhere between 13" and 14".. ;)
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why not the Endo adapter and GHW tailhook gen 2? I'm not a fan of the mako stock adapter, the thing flexes like crazy, while the Endo supports the upper part of the frame as well as the bottom. The angle would probably be better also.

I have a G34 SBR with the Endo and it's fantastic. I don't see a whole lot of point of running a 17L. If a threaded bbl is used in a 34, it's just about as long as a stock G17L bbl, so outside of a tiny bit more sight radius the advantages of the L are minimal.
View Quote
I absolutely despise the look of the Endo.  Plus, mag and slide release is almost impossible to engage with it's design.

I'm an old fart, so the longer the sight radius, the better.  Truth be told,  the glock will have a mounted red dot most of the time.  BTW, the G17L is one of my grail guns, SO..... End of Freggin story! :)
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Short thumbs eh? I think I have pretty average sized hands and I can reach the controls just fine with the Endo. As with all things though, to each their own. We all have grail guns to track down in life and it's be rather boring if they were all the same!
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Short thumbs eh? I think I have pretty average sized hands and I can reach the controls just fine with the Endo. As with all things though, to each their own. We all have grail guns to track down in life and it's be rather boring if they were all the same!
View Quote
Roger that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#39]
This thread is full of examples of why a ban and turn ins work.

To keep it CoC I’ll refrain from calling you what you need to be called.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It's [adjustible] to the maximum length allowed per (current) ATF regs.  Somewhere between 13" and 14".. ;)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you, placed my order for both today.

it will be going on a G17L when I get the setup completed.

Quoted:

Ok Rambo, you start shooting first and we might back you up.. or we might just say, "Play stupid games win stupid prizes" when the feds glass you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
:rollseyes:
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#42]
So I've had a few members IM me the last few days asking how I achieved maximum 13.5" LOP on a brace that is made to extend beyond that measurement.  The modification process is easy to do. First I cut a solid piece of metal rod to the length of the width of the exterior brace tube. This small metal rod will be the Stop-Pin that will prevent the brace from exceeding maximum LOP. For reference take a look at the factory stop-pin that's located in the rear of the brace tube.

Next, with the brace attached to the glock I adjusted and measured the length of the brace to maximum LOP. I then disconnected the brace from the glock and drilled through the inner brace arm at the point where it meets/stops at the shoulder of the outer brace tube. The brace cannot/will not extend beyond 13.5" with the metal stop-pin inserted through the hole. The stop-pin will be JB welded to the inner brace arm by this weekend.

I also made a small collar that fits tightly between the retractable arm and the brace body. This collar will act as a stop that will prevent the brace from retracting during recoil.

Here's a few pics of the Mod...:

Link Posted: 3/27/2019 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Major Major Score to report.

My LGS called this afternoon to tell me that they had found a BNIB G17L sitting on a shelf in the back of the store with other inventory. They think it’s probably been there a few years. It was apparently ordered and held for a well known customer that had left the country and never returned to the store.

As mentioned, the 17L is new and unfired. How cool is that !?!

I’ve already sent the SN to Glock to document it’s date of manufacture. And yes. I plan to shoot the snot out of it..!!

Link Posted: 3/30/2019 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#44]
As-is that looks terrible as a brace - unless you always shoot with your arms extended and at a 30° angle upward.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#45]
I think that inverting the brace so that the hook fits over top the arm would work better.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
As-is that looks terrible as a brace - unless you always shoot with your arms extended and at a 30° angle upward.
View Quote
I’m 6.1 and have long arms so the slight angle to the brace is actually a more natural fit than a fully extended arm.  It allows the pistol to be placed at a comfortable position and closer to my LOS.

The quest for taller sights begins...
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Looks great!

With the red dot, add a Glock 20 in 10mm and it would be a fine hunting handgun!
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Looks great!

With the red dot, add a Glock 20 in 10mm and it would be a fine hunting handgun!
View Quote
Great minds think alike! I already have my eyes on a G40. :)
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#50]
So I’m getting a 3D printer...

;)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top