Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2017 7:16:54 PM EDT
I recently shot my first IDPA match and I decided to write a review on IDPA as a whole and whether it has any relevance to real life usage of a firearm.  As always I'm interested in feedback.  

Here's a link to the article and video from the match: https://gunpowdermeditation.com/2017/05/26/idpa-review/
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#2]
IDPA is a game just as much as USPSA is a game (whether they admit it or not).

The perhaps ironic thing is that USPSA is the better suited game for the guy who wants to apply "real world" tactics or use a sport for training.

USPSA is freestyle.  Use cover how you see fit.  Retain your mags or don't.  No one cares.

As long as you're safe, do what floats your boat.

USPSA also allows AIWB carry.

OP, do you think it is not possible to compartmentalize and play a gun game without applying tactics?  Treat it as a purely technical exercise?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Aimless:
Trying to argue over the real world merits of gun golf is pretty fruitless. Good luck
View Quote
It's only fruitless if you insist on falsely conflating tactics/doctrine and competition.  

Competition is a test of technical ability, nothing more.  

If I were a gunfighter, I would want both a superior knowledge and ability to apply sound tactics AND superior technical skills.  

Tactics and skills are complementary, not mutually exclusive.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wtturn:
OP, do you think it is not possible to compartmentalize and play a gun game without applying tactics?  Treat it as a purely technical exercise?
View Quote
Short term.  Sure.

Over long periods of time?  No.  I believe they'll become habits, muscle memory will form, and under stress it will become a default action.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:49:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R_S] [#5]
Repeatedly throughout the match I saw people leaning on one foot trying to balance and shoot because that was the only way they could get a shot on the target without breaking the fault line.  I had to do it myself.  It was an incredibly unstable shooting platform.  What’s one of the very first things you learn in shooting?  A good stance.  Does that mean in real life you’re always going to have one?  Of course not, but I’m not going to intentionally put myself in a bad stance if I don’t have to.
View Quote
I don't have a problem with Mike Seeklander's footwork in the picture.  He is on two feet.  I've done force-on-force using similar technique (except further back from cover) and it is the quickest way to get your shot off and get back behind cover. I would have been shot on several occasions in force-on-force training if I stepped out from behind cover to get my shot(s) off... stepping out is just too slow to shoot and get back behind cover.  I like to minimize the opportunity my enemy has to see/hit me.

That said, I completely agree that balancing solely on 1 foot is absurd.  I see "Master" shooters doing the "gun ballerina" and want to revoke their man card right then and there.  I don't think that should be allowed in the rules.

The other big problem with IDPA and cover is they force you to crowd it.  
View Quote
Depends on who sets up the course.  I've shot plenty of IDPA courses where I did not crowd cover.  I agree completely that you should not crowd cover.  I agree that a lot of IDPA shooters, including Mike Seeklander in the picture, crowd cover.  Very bad habit to form.

Shooting On The Move
View Quote
Paul Howe has my greatest respect and admiration.  I own his book and used it to train soldiers.  That said I would respectfully say that there are occasions where I respectfully disagree with him.  You may want to look at Suarez's Close Range Gunfighting.  Suarez survived a gunfight by getting off the X and shooting on the move.  Jelly Bryce also survived one gunfight in a similar way:

Jelly’s most famous gunfight in the Wren Hotel when he was attempting to arrest a fugitive gangster.  When he opened the hotel room door, Jelly saw the fugitive laying on the floor pointing a pistol at him..  Jelly quickly sidestepped, drew his .44 spl S&W revolver and fired five times before the criminal could pull the trigger.  He hit the man in the head with four out of the five shots.
View Quote
article

“In real life you would…”
View Quote
IDPA is a competition and is definitely not real life.  It does allow shooters to practice with their gun & gear in a fun and safe way.  Serious competitors are "gamers" and will seek every advantage allowed by the rules.

I was flagged for not wearing a cover garment.
View Quote
Typically first time shooters aren't required to use concealment... so I don't know why they were so strict with this.  The IDPA rules are complicated and every stage has its own complications.  It can be annoying, but can also be really good training.  Because you have to be able to think and handle a gun safely and shoot at the same time.  That takes practice and IDPA is a great place to practice that.

I’d still like to get the practice shooting in scenarios I didn’t have to create.  But I need to keep it relevant for me and avoid developing any bad habits at this juncture in my shooting timeline.  I won’t be winning any matches shooting this way but that’s not my goal either.
View Quote
That's the best mindset to have.  I'd rather win on the street than win bragging rights at a game.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top