Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 36
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 3:23:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone doing any competitions coming up?

There is a bunch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Soileater:

Anyone doing any competitions coming up?

There is a bunch.

Unfortunately I'm going to miss the NAGA tourney here next month, I'm trying to nurse a "shoulder impingement" back to health and that will probably take a month or two (if I'm lucky). I do plan on competing in the next NAGA tourney here which will be in July, that should give me time to heal up. I might go next month just to watch and get a feel for it but Ive done a lot of wrestling tourneys in the past so I figure its about the same level of controlled chaos.

Link Posted: 1/31/2012 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
NAGA in March up here in Utah, also Master Sylvio Behring is coming up for a seminar towards the end of March so there will be plenty of testing, demonstration and rolling during those three days
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 2:51:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Looking at Ontario opens, for free trip to abu dhabi pros
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#5]
well, good news today.

My Orthopedic Doc says the shoulder pain is mild tendonitis, gave me a shot of cortesone, some NSAIDS and a referral for therapy. That being said, I should be GTG pretty soon. I found out the therapist is also into BJJ and the docs himself is starting Krav, nothing like docs in your some sport.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, I injured my knee last night with a possible torn LCL. I was going to a calf crunch submission on a guy and he spun rather quickly before I could lock it in and as he spun he took my knee with him with two distinct popping sounds. My knee was bent at a 90 degree angle when it happened and was pushed inward. I yelled out in pain but was more shocked than anything else.

Had some guys look at it, we have doctors and physical therapists in our class and they determined the LCL most likely was sprained. I'm going to make an appt this week and hopefully an MRI will show is any other damage has occurred, hope it's just the LCL. After much thought, when I get through this I'm going to start more strength training and only go for basic submissions such as taking the back and focusing on staying on top and being more in control.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#7]
That sucks, please keep us posted.  Remember to let it heal before you go all out on it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Afterwork_Ninja:
I tried this one out last night and got a tap.  It's easy for him to get out of it, but it caught him by surprise and I noticed he didn't put the body triangle on me the second time he got my back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUnYDMXcsKo

Nice.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By JamisonLaviano:

Well, I injured my knee last night with a possible torn LCL. I was going to a calf crunch submission on a guy and he spun rather quickly before I could lock it in and as he spun he took my knee with him with two distinct popping sounds. My knee was bent at a 90 degree angle when it happened and was pushed inward. I yelled out in pain but was more shocked than anything else.

Had some guys look at it, we have doctors and physical therapists in our class and they determined the LCL most likely was sprained. I'm going to make an appt this week and hopefully an MRI will show is any other damage has occurred, hope it's just the LCL. After much thought, when I get through this I'm going to start more strength training and only go for basic submissions such as taking the back and focusing on staying on top and being more in control.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Good luck with the MRI, let us know how it goes.

Just curious, how hard are you guys rolling? We try and keep it 50-75% and we typically still end up with a few minor injuries, I typically end up bruised on the forearms and shins pretty heavily from blocking guard recoveries when I move to side control. I was "crushing" pretty hard for a couple of months and ended up with the shoulder injury and a bruised rib. It was pretty common for my intructor to tell me "you're pushing to hard"... and I didn't realize it until the injuries started stacking up.

I've been babying the rib and the shoulder and started "slow rolling/flow drills" while I try and recover and it's really working out for my technique.

I think the plan I'm going to follow is during our focused training days I'm going to slow roll, I'll push it a little harder on Saturday (open mat) so my technique improves and I don't get hurt as often. We have four guys currently wanting to do the NAGA tourney in July here so we are going to train on Saturdays for that.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#10]
We were rolling hard but not 100%, I was doing a similar move to what Frank Mir is doing in this video around 0:30, but my legs were't triangle locked in, the guy spun as I was coming up to lock it in...POP POP...ouch... If my legs were triangle'd around his leg it would've kept my knee safe. I'm guessing playing rubber guard would probably give a similar injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIC5kQhnF-w&feature=related

I definitely learned from this, although it's nice to know and perform advanced submissions, they present more danger.

I'm not scared of the man who practices 1000 different kicks, I am scared of the man who practices 1 kick 1000 times. This quote is going through my head now, when I start rolling again soon, I will only go for taking the back and getting the choke, or getting full mount and getting the choke.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 6:07:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Afterwork_Ninja] [#11]
We were rolling hard but not 100%, I was doing a similar move to what Frank Mir is doing in this video around 0:30, but my legs were't triangle locked in, the guy spun as I was coming up to lock it in...POP POP...ouch... If my legs were triangle'd around his leg it would've kept my knee safe. I'm guessing playing rubber guard would probably give a similar injury.

I definitely learned from this, although it's nice to know and perform advanced submissions, they present more danger.

I'm not scared of the man who practices 1000 different kicks, I am scared of the man who practices 1 kick 1000 times. This quote is going through my head now, when I start rolling again soon, I will only go for taking the back and getting the choke, or getting full mount and getting the choke.

I subscribe to this as well.  Although I am only 4 months into this, I was starting to feel like a knew a ton of moves, but wasn't good at any of them.  I was also having a problem with attaining a position and then stalling while I thought about what to do.

So, being the nerd I am I decided the solution should include a flow chart.  It's based off of an email from Stephan Kesting of Grapplearts.com fame.  I started with two charts, one labeled Top Game and the other Bottom game.

I started with the major positions; Closed Guard, Open Guard, Half Guard, Side Control, Mount, North/South, Back, and All Fours.  On my Bottom Game chart I chose two submissions and two sweeps/escapes for each position.  On my Top Game chart I also have two submissions for each position and two transitions to achieve a better position.  

I then drilled the shit out of these at home on the grappling dummy and when I rolled I only do whats on the chart.  It may limit my options in the short term, but I think it's worth it.  When I get all these down without having to stop and think I will add another move to that position.  I've only been doing this plan for a couple of weeks, but this has really helped me.  It's the biggest leap forward I have had since I learned to stay relaxed.

This has also made me really break down each move and learn the subtleties of every submission, pass and escape on my list.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#12]

I subscribe to this as well.  Although I am only 4 months into this, I was starting to feel like a knew a ton of moves, but wasn't good at any of them.  I was also having a problem with attaining a position and then stalling while I thought about what to do.

So, being the nerd I am I decided the solution should include a flow chart.  It's based off of an email from Stephan Kesting of Grapplearts.com fame.  I started with two charts, one labeled Top Game and the other Bottom game.

I started with the major positions; Closed Guard, Open Guard, Half Guard, Side Control, Mount, North/South, Back, and All Fours.  On my Bottom Game chart I chose two submissions and two sweeps/escapes for each position.  On my Top Game chart I also have two submissions for each position and two transitions to achieve a better position.  

I then drilled the shit out of these at home on the grappling dummy and when I rolled I only do whats on the chart.  It may limit my options in the short term, but I think it's worth it.  When I get all these down without having to stop and think I will add another move to that position.  I've only been doing this plan for a couple of weeks, but this has really helped me.  It's the biggest leap forward I have had since I learned to stay relaxed.

This has also made me really break down each move and learn the subtleties of every submission, pass and escape on my list.

Funny how these things work out... I'm on that mailing list as well and the "plan your routes" thing stick with me... I've started drawing mine out on paper. Guard pass, then side control/knee-on-belly > arm-lock/kimura submission/arm-bar, mount > cross-collar-choke/americana...

I'm heavy set at 5' 10"/205lbs and not very flexible, most of my game centers around defensive moves and chokes/arm bars for offensive moves, rarely will I attempt a triangle, my legs aren't long or flexible enough for that.

On a side note, my therapy went very well today, the PT says its simple tendinitis and I feel much better after a single round so the outlook is good. I'm still training but only slow-roll fi any at all after focused training.

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 8:40:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JamisonLaviano] [#13]
I'm purple, been in the game off and on since '02, been to Rio twice, constantly watching tournaments on you tube  and learning new moves...berimbolo whatever.... but I feel even black belts have to keep it simple and get back to the basics. If you watch black belt matches...they're not doing fancy stuff, they're just perfecting the moves they've practiced over and over.

My back to the basics game plan :

NO GI
I am thinking in Choke, when Rickson finishes everyone with a rear naked.

GI
Roger Gracie submitting everyone at the worlds with the same cross collar choke from mount.

This is simple enough, no gi i will only go for the submission with a rear naked, and with the gi i will get mount and cross collar.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 9:43:36 AM EDT
[#14]

I'm purple, been in the game off and on since '02, been to Rio twice, constantly watching tournaments on you tube  and learning new moves...berimbolo whatever.... but I feel even black belts have to keep it simple and get back to the basics. If you watch black belt matches...they're not doing fancy stuff, they're just perfecting the moves they've practiced over and over.

My back to the basics game plan :

NO GI

I am thinking in Choke, when Rickson finishes everyone with a rear naked.

GI

Roger Gracie submitting everyone at the worlds with the same cross collar choke from mount.

This is simple enough, no gi i will only go for the submission with a rear naked, and with the gi i will get mount and cross collar.

nice

Our instructor brings up Rogers cross collar feats pretty often, where are you in GA btw?

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Albany
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Albany

Well, look at the bright side, you are only two hours from the Gulf

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Got my MRI today, now the results on my appt Wednesday.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#18]
LCL sprain and partial PCL tear, no surgery...which is a relief. Will start physical therapy and wearing a hinged knee brace for 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#19]
LCL sprain and partial PCL tear, no surgery...which is a relief. Will start physical therapy and wearing a hinged knee brace for 6 weeks.

That's good news.  Don't be lazy when it comes to your PT.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Well, that could have been worse.

I tested positive (manually) for a SLAP injury on a shoulder had I previous had a SLAP repair on... don't know if it's just tendonitis or what yet, treating both shoulders with PT now.

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 12:26:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whiteshark357] [#21]
American Top Team here in S FL...... MMA / BJJ
I'm better with stand-up but the BJJ skills are necessary to get back on my feet if taken to the mat.
At 46, I'm the oldest in there by a lot right now, but managing to keep up with and sometimes even outlast the young guys.
Also did Muay Thai and Krav Maga in the past, which helps greatly.

ETA -  talking about injuries, we recently had a guy get his big toe wedged between the joint of the puzzle mat sections  while in the middle of a hard takedown. His toe was sticking out at 90* from his foot with the bone sticking out the other way.  
He  dealt with it surprisingly well and is back fighting after about only 2 months though. Of course it helps that he's 19. I would have been screwed !!
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I will go back to jiu jitsu tonight, slap on a hinged knee brace and teach technique to some white belts. I am anxious to get back and get on the move. My first session of therapy went well just strengthening the leg muscles to protect the knee while it heals.
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#23]

I will go back to jiu jitsu tonight, slap on a hinged knee brace and teach technique to some white belts. I am anxious to get back and get on the move. My first session of therapy went well just strengthening the leg muscles to protect the knee while it heals.

Very good to hear, I'm on "light duty" myself. The tendonitis in my left shoulder is nearly gone but I had a guy overextend my right shoulders AC joint a couple of weeks ago. That one is still causing me trouble, I'm doing the warmup and some of the drills but I'm not rolling.

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 9:43:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JamisonLaviano] [#24]
BUMP

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Hows it going Jamison?

I'm taking the whole month of March off to let the AC joint heal.

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Can't roll but I have been doing what I can and teaching techniques.

Very anxious to get back into it, PT has been rough, been sore after every visit. You never know how frustrating balancing on a bosu ball is until you try it.

Here's a pic to help bump the thread and motivate me and hopefully motivate you guys too.

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm right there with you, my instructor wants me to still come to class and just take it easy. My problem is that I suit up and still do "too much" and aggravate the injury so I decided to just take the month off. Now all of my old injuries are hurting because I stopped exercising .

I'll know after the first roll whether my AC joint is healed or not and I'm chomping at the bit to get back into it, I was planning on competing in the NAGA tourney in July here but it's questionable now.

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#28]
July is close, don't know if I'd risk it but depends on what shape your in.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By navvet89:
I'm right there with you, my instructor wants me to still come to class and just take it easy. My problem is that I suit up and still do "too much" and aggravate the injury so I decided to just take the month off. Now all of my old injuries are hurting because I stopped exercising .

I'll know after the first roll whether my AC joint is healed or not and I'm chomping at the bit to get back into it, I was planning on competing in the NAGA tourney in July here but it's questionable now.

Just go and take notes.  Sometimes you learn things by watching others that you would miss if you where rolling.
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Ordered a new knee brace...i'm excited about it

Link Posted: 4/20/2012 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Ordered a new knee brace...i'm excited about it

http://www.medibrace.com/assets/images/875.jpg

hopefully it works out for you

my shoulders are killing me but I'm still hanging in there,and taking a month off to let the AC Joint sprain heal pretty much clobbered by stamina and endurance.

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 3:14:15 AM EDT
[#32]

come at me bros
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By LORD-eX-Bu:

http://i.imgur.com/jb07G.jpg?1

come at me bros

more like "limp at me bro's"

Link Posted: 4/21/2012 10:55:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JamisonLaviano] [#34]
the stinky (lucky) Gi all the way to the right?!?
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Can't roll but I have been doing what I can and teaching techniques.

Very anxious to get back into it, PT has been rough, been sore after every visit. You never know how frustrating balancing on a bosu ball is until you try it.

Here's a pic to help bump the thread and motivate me and hopefully motivate you guys too.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0pKEL0lJXmA/T2yM13ewurI/AAAAAAAAAb4/cb3yG0PTwIc/s640/RIOSEMINAR1.jpg

Rickson...
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Separated my right shoulder today
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#37]
welcome to the club!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#38]

welcome to the club!!!

heh, "limp at me bro"

On a side note there was only myself, one other guy my age and our instructor on the mats this past Saturday. We worked "slow rolling" and "flow drill" techniques for two hours, I was a little sore but no additional pain from injuries since then. I'm just going to slow roll and drill for the foreseeable future since that seems to be the only way I can stay with it at the moment.

Link Posted: 4/23/2012 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By LORD-eX-Bu:
Separated my right shoulder today

What happened?
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Let one of the new guys throw me with a left handed seoinage. Guy throwing messed up and tried to pull up on my arm before I hit, screwed up my ukemi and I landed on the tip of my shoulder. Felt stuff move around too so I went to the chiropractor today and he put all my ribs back in place and reset my neck. Feel better now, shoulder is sore in some positions but not bad, I have an appointment with a sports medicine doctor thursday morning and I've been icing it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 8:41:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JamisonLaviano] [#41]
That reminds me, don't know if you guys saw the abu dhabi recently but Rodolfo Viera did a beautiful drop seonagi on Andre Galvao

Link Posted: 4/24/2012 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#42]

That reminds me, don't know if you guys saw the abu dhabi recently but Rodolfo Viera did a beautiful drop seonagi on Andre Galvao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoPl0NYpVTs&feature=player_embedded

1, 2, 3, *thwhack*

We were doing some advanced curriculum standup/take downs last night as a matter of fact. We dont normally have much standup during regular class because we dont have the space really. Our instructor has started to ad some when he can though since a few of the guys have started going to tournaments. Good class last night as well, 3 white belts, 5 blues and a purple.

My slow roll work is doing well, no out of the ordinary pain and the guy im rolling with has got the right mindset.

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 1:26:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JamisonLaviano] [#43]
Same fight but different angle, I am amazed at this throw...really, such high level but I'm guessing this is why most black belts pull guard right away instead of getting tossed like this.

It doesn't embed correctly when I add the start time, so forward it to the 2:08 mark for the seonagi...

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 4:12:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Afterwork_Ninja] [#44]
Have you guys ever been to a Royce Gracie seminar?  There is one coming up in Lubbock for $75.  I think I may check it out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 4:21:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: navvet89] [#45]

Have you guys ever been to a Royce Gracie seminar?  There is one coming up in Lubbock for $75.  I think I may check it out.

I missed a Royce Gracie seminar earlier this year here but your mention of it made me hit google and I found this:

On November the 10th of 2012 The Atlanta Martial Arts Center in
Woodstock GA will be having a seminar with 8th degree Gracie Jiu-Jitsu
Black Belt Professor Pedro Sauer. Professor is one of the most highly
sought after instructors in the U.S.

Yeah, I'll be going

Link Posted: 4/25/2012 6:04:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LORD-eX-Bu] [#46]
We're having a three day seminar this weekend with 7th Degree Master Sylvio Behring. 24 hours of BJJ instruction from one of the best instructors in the world, can't wait

This was from last year's seminar, he visits us two or more times a year.
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 9:14:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JamisonLaviano] [#47]
I'd go to any seminar I could within reasonable distance
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 9:21:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Afterwork_Ninja] [#48]
What do you guys think of this for a cheap gi?

I train mainly no-gi MMA Jiu-Jitsu right now.  I will start doing some gi work eventually, but I'm short on cash now. I'll want one for the seminar without spending too much.  I don't want to buy crap either though.  

http://www.mmaoutlet.com/FUJI-Jiu-Jitsu-Gi––P463.aspx
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#49]
I own two black FUJI gis, and that's all I wear. I've tried a lot of others but these are inexpensive, the quality is great and haven't ripped. You can't beat that price!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2012 10:52:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: navvet89] [#50]
Some of our guys have them, they seem happy with them. Combatsports.com is a good place to buy from as well, they tend to have good sales fairly often,  I picked up a great pair of nogi shorts for $20 from there myself.

eta:

Gameness GI for 29.99, wish I had the extra cash and Id buy myself one.

http://www.combatsports.com/csi/apparel/gis-kimonos/gameness-slc-420g-gi-9791.html

Page / 36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top