Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Lol Aikido judo karate ninja Judy chop.
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 1:33:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: streetstar] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VillageIdiot2:

I was big on learning Aikido as a youngster thanks to the Segal movies. Never trained in it, we didnt have any places near by to train.
I have to ask, and I don't mean any offense, but do you feel this art and the training you receive has real world applications against an aggressive opponent?
View Quote

Yes with a big caveat that akido is the ultimate in delayed gratification.    Seagal aikido (on film) is obviously highly choreographed and truly blends several different disciplines because pure akido is almost purely defensive

I knew this going in And did not pursue it because I thought it would be effective right away. I went in, knowing that, although it can be challenging – often times the training is a lot less aggressive than KM or Muay Thai.    This makes it a perfect art for people like myself as I mentioned earlier I was formerly very overweight, And with joint issues brought about by old sports injuries, combined with thinking I had to see how much I could max out on bench or squat every other time I went into a gym

This will sound kooky to some, But Akido is perfect for those who feel they need a Mindset reset and possibly to help you find your emotional center.   it can be your church, your Sunday school and your yoga class. All rolled into one .    Aspects of this can be useful in a self-defense scenario from about the first week or two if you’re talking about the mindset reset and learning to get better control of your emotions as well as having better situational awareness but I would say realistically as far as this helping you out when the shit hits the fan will probably take a year or two of dedicated - and dedicated means 3x a week at the dojo, or more plus kata on your own time - training and having proficiency at roughly the brown belt level. —- but not all akido dojo’s follow the belt structure - because a lot of the older guys feel it’s not about points or competition, like judo

As the saying goes opinions are like butt holes, everybody has one – but if somebody was strictly looking for the fastest bang for the buck In a unsanctioned fight scenario - Muay Thai it’s probably the way- coupled with a little bit of real old-school boxing training so you can learn how to throw a basic punch effectively

I know BJJ is insanely popular now, but you really don’t want to go to ground in a “bar fight” or anything similar

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top