User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:02:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was in no way implying that Smith Ent bolts are low end. In fact I was trying to state the opposite, that they are a quality bolt that should not be bunched with run of the mill commercial junk.  
Wpns Man

Understood.

Quoted:
Where did you get the information on the grade of steel used on early bolts being inferior and relating to the use of a specific powder type?
Wpns Man

Don't have it in front of me, but BR I mentions several upgrades to the "AR-15" during Colt's production under contract 508.  Think contract 508 went from 1963-67?  One of the upgrades listed is that the bolt was made of better steel, and was shot peened to better handle the powder switch.  Ezell does not specify exactly when the switch was made. But we do know that bolts made at the beginning of contract 508 were chromed, and bolts made near the end were parked.

Quoted:
I'm sure that somewhere in it's 40 plus years of production history the use of alternate alloys may have been used. Just as the M1 Garand is a prime example of the practice during WWII production. But, any alloy used to manufacture a M16 bolt must, after being properly machined, deburred and heat treated be suitable of withstanding 52,000 CUP as it's normal diet after surviving a proof round that is considerably more.
Wpns Man

Chamber pressures were not the issue in regards to running the AR-15 on ball powder.  Ball powder has a different pressure curve at the gas port.  Modern parallel would be the M4 Carbine, same chamber pressure as a M16A4, but a different pressure curve at the gas port that results in the bolt getting battered and lessened bolt life.

Quoted:
Now, I would absolutely apply your statement to commercial chromed or phosphated bolts for that matter of undetermined manufacture and agree wholeheartedly. But, we are talking about military MP tested chrome bolts, and I have never seen one break at the cam pin hole, have chrome flake off, accelerate wear or fail headspace. Those I have personally inspected or own are in some cases approaching 40 years old and still look and perform as new, though they were obviously well used. Statistically, it has been my experience that they have outlived many of their phosphated brethren as to percentages inspected/replaced. I would not be reluctant to use one of these bolts or otherwise be wary of them in anyway providing that they(as any bolt) are not obviously damaged and will headspace properly with the intented barrel.
Wpns Man

Will get back to you on that.

Quoted:
By reading your other post, I'm glad you took time to do some testing on the extractor springs. It seems your findings confirm my theory, and I find it amusing that it's taken four generations of "new and improved" to get us back to where we started. Though there are a lot of variables which need to be taken into account such as firing cycles the individual springs have been subjected to that will affect their tension/lifespan prior to testing. I have also seen many new springs that were rendered useless by improper assembly into the extractor through the use of pliers to "squeeze it in there" rather than carefully pressing/rotating it until it seats with your fingers. So more testing should probably be done on known serviceable springs to draw the most accurate conclusions..... Good Job

Wpns Man

Thanks, and only so much you can derive from that small sample.  I do understand that extractor springs take a set very quickly, and hold that set very well.  At least that is what one of the posters at Tactical Forums found.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:07:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Got a new photo-hosting service finally.......

Thats how the Palmetto lowers were........it's unmodified.

I saw you won a waffle mag from the same guy I won one from.....get yours yet??????

Ive seen Palmetto lowers before, don't recall that they were missing the mag fence, maybe there is some variation in those?

Ah yeah, forgot about that, no I have not and I paid for mine within minutes of using the "buy it now" feature.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#3]
this here is an early eighties sendra.  I have since replaced the HG and buttstock as well as refinish it.

http://www.khalan.com/_web/k&g.jpg
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Not mine but it is an oldie..............

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

1-22infantry.org/pics/kirkendall19.jpg

sweet
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

1-22infantry.org/pics/kirkendall19.jpg

<right click,save>    Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I saw you won a waffle mag from the same guy I won one from.....get yours yet??????

Ah yeah, forgot about that, no I have not and I paid for mine within minutes of using the "buy it now" feature.

Got mine today, finish is worn, just like in the picture, am happy with it, where else can you get one?
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey WpnsMan, you ever seen a chromed USGI bolt that has the left side bevel on the lugs, but no MP markings?  I found one that was mixed in with a bunch of old Air Force stuff and figured it must be a old Colt's bolt that the MP engraving wore off of?
Link Posted: 1/14/2005 3:38:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Ekie,

Yeah, I've seen quite a few like that and even own one. The MP markings on these early bolts are very faint anyway as they were applied after the component was chrome plated and naturally passed proof firing and magnetic particle testing. I'm not sure of the exact process used to mark them but it appears as though it is lightly etched unto to surface. On some examples the contrast of the etching against the chrome takes on a dark appearance that looks almost like the MP is stamped on with paint, while on others it appears to have a more satin sheen than the bolt itself. Some of these markings are so faint they require magnification to detect and some have just plain worn off through use.

I have also observed slight differences in the layout of the MP itself. In relation to the extractor, represented by | they are:

MP|

M|
P |

MP

These variations are also observed on early phosphated MP marked bolts. Have not been able to tie there use to any particular time period, model or serial number range as they appear intermixed when encountered. So I would chaulk it up to manufacturer (Colt) variance in the absence of any significant number of unmolested early rifles with which to draw concrete conclusion.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 1/14/2005 5:25:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ekie,

Yeah, I've seen quite a few like that and even own one. The MP markings on these early bolts are very faint anyway as they were applied after the component was chrome plated and naturally passed proof firing and magnetic particle testing. I'm not sure of the exact process used to mark them but it appears as though it is lightly etched unto to surface. On some examples the contrast of the etching against the chrome takes on a dark appearance that looks almost like the MP is stamped on with paint, while on others it appears to have a more satin sheen than the bolt itself. Some of these markings are so faint they require magnification to detect and some have just plain worn off through use.

I have also observed slight differences in the layout of the MP itself. In relation to the extractor, represented by | they are:

MP|

M|
P |

MP

These variations are also observed on early phosphated MP marked bolts. Have not been able to tie there use to any particular time period, model or serial number range as they appear intermixed when encountered. So I would chaulk it up to manufacturer (Colt) variance in the absence of any significant number of unmolested early rifles with which to draw concrete conclusion.

Wpns Man

Great, that was what I was thinking, they do appear to be etched rather then engraved.  Did not know about the variation in MP "etching, thought they were all of the third type you mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#11]
A little background on Palmetto... I read an article in some gun mag about this awhile back, they were interviewing the son of the founder of SGW/Olympic and he recounted some history, with brief mention of Palmetto.

The first batch of lowers that SGW, now Olympic Arms, made was a run of about 900 forged lowers that look to have been milled out to some degree (look at the mag well).
Before the Oly days, SGW was Schutzen Gun Works and made barrels.

When they decided to make guns, Palmetto Armory was a name suggested to the SGW folks by a customer, and really didn't have any great significance but was just a way to differentiate those products from their barrels.

All of these lowers had the ridge that held the pivot pin detent/spring but no mag fence.

A little later, SGW became Olympic Arms and everything was under that name from then on.

Link Posted: 1/19/2005 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#12]
anyone knowwhere to get chrome sp-1 boltcarrier and bolt without the long firingpin ramp cut
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
anyone knowwhere to get chrome sp-1 boltcarrier and bolt without the long firingpin ramp cut

Billbo has had some early Colt's chromed M16 cariers with no forward assist cuts for sale.
Link Posted: 1/21/2005 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Getting closer to a Model 01:

Link Posted: 1/21/2005 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice!
Who sells paint to match the green color of the early furniture?

Quoted:
Getting closer to a Model 01:

img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ekie12091941/Model01clone1.jpg

Link Posted: 1/21/2005 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#16]
1968 Colt on loan.    

Link Posted: 1/21/2005 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Can the furniture be Dyed Green instead of Painting?
Like the black dye job alot of guys did to the ugly HK Gray plastic rifles!

I don't know a thing about dyeing synthetics, but would think dyeing black green would be tough?

Quoted:
Nice!
Who sells paint to match the green color of the early furniture?

Looks like I am going to find out huh?  Have noticed two colors, a flat OD green, like the handguard in the picture.  The other is a satin dark OD, like the buttstock and grip in the picture.  The flat OD would be purdy easy to match, don't know about the darker color.  I like the darker color allot better.

BTW, anybody got a extra brown/green left handguard, I have two right sides, and no left.

Link Posted: 1/23/2005 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Well........the "oldie" project is coming along.........

SGW/Palmetto lower, early colt upper and innards, 11 1/2" with a repro moderator, some WA Tom handguards, and .....after the longest 2 month wait of my life.....a Broadhead Armory DIAS.
Waffle mag courtesy of Auctionarms.
Just waiting on a bottle of Norrels molyresin.....this should be breathing fire soon!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/retrocar2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/retrocar1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/shorty.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/magandammo.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/wafflebottom.jpg
Link Posted: 1/23/2005 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Now that is a cool project.
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn these make me want an "oldie" more than an A4 now!
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#22]
WA Tom "E" mailed me yesterday saying my 1/14" twist superlight barrel is around a month away

I am getting close!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2005 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#23]
1968 SP1

Link Posted: 2/25/2005 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Well........the "oldie" project is coming along.........

SGW/Palmetto lower, early colt upper and innards, 11 1/2" with a repro moderator, some WA Tom handguards, and .....after the longest 2 month wait of my life.....a Broadhead Armory DIAS.
Waffle mag courtesy of Auctionarms.
Just waiting on a bottle of Norrels molyresin.....this should be breathing fire soon!
img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/retrocar2.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/retrocar1.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/shorty.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/magandammo.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/wafflebottom.jpg

All I can say is "thank you" to John Norrel.......his molyresin kicks-a#&. The shorty-retro project is up and running. Found a nicer Model 601 upper on gunbroker, and a proper slick/chrome bolt carrier on Sturmgewehr. Gun runs very, very well with a standard butt/buffer....now waiting only on my XM-607 butt from WA Tom......
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/ARcarb.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/villafuego/ARcarb2.jpg
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#25]
AF M-16 upper as is with Bushy lower and Original M16 Furniture.
(The stock is A1 but I saw plenty in the AF with the same setup)
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's my clone build.

I first posted this pic here: My new toy
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#28]
OK you take the crossbow and go hide,Im the president I get the rifle and will come and look for you
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#29]
i love that pic
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Try and figure out the classification of this rifle... Colt mismatch for the Air Force.
M16 Upper Receiver, M16A1 Lower Receiver, M16A2 Stock, M16A2 Forend, M16A1 Barrel.

Sammy

Link Posted: 3/8/2005 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Try and figure out the classification of this rifle... Colt mismatch for the Air Force.
M16 Upper Receiver, M16A1 Lower Receiver, M16A2 Stock, M16A2 Forend, M16A1 Barrel.

Sammy

www.scottsdalegunclub.com/mga_machineguns/mgphotos/M16_soldier.jpg

Looks like a Colt's Model 604/M16 that the Air Force updated with an A2 stock set.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Sammy

www.scottsdalegunclub.com/mga_machineguns/mgphotos/M16_soldier.jpg

Easy , it's a later AF M16 receiver serial #> 250,000 with full mag fence . Has A2 furniture because they stopped making triange handguards/A1 grips and M16/16A1 buttstocks along time ago and A2 furniture were the suitable substitutes. Not all that uncommon config for AF M16's pre A2 conversion.

M16 with a full set of A2 furniture is an awsome BOBW combo.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Mid year 1980 carbine and a January 1968 rifle

Link Posted: 3/8/2005 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

pic11.picturetrail.com/VOL366/498052/6460528/88410079.jpg

Sweet!!!!
What is the twist of the carbine barrel?  
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Here's mine......

Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

pic11.picturetrail.com/VOL366/498052/6460528/88410079.jpg

Sweet!!!!
What is the twist of the carbine barrel?  

Well if I had to guess it would be a 1 in 12,
Marked, C MP Chrome Bore,
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#38]
well i dont have one yet but all these are AWESOME! this spot shall be reserved for my SP1 when i get it...(hopefully later this year...)
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Early carbine clones on A2 receivers

Thanks to WA Tom, and Total Silence, Inc.!
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#41]
I'll play this game:

Link Posted: 3/29/2005 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 3/29/2005 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#43]
SP1 colt.... 70s
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Clones. Waiting for Colt-653's A1 lowers.

Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 3/29/2005 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 3/29/2005 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 5:20:57 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
1965 Colt XM607 clone (16" legal length pencil barrel )
www.hunt101.com/img/217967.jpg

where do you find those Carbine A1 handguards?? I've been thinking for my second AR, i might mage a 16" Carbine like yours or like your M653 clone. can you tell me what parts you have on both? (like stocks, handguads, flashiders, etc. and sites where you got them) Please and thank you!
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ekie12091941/model60101.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ekie12091941/model60114.jpg

very nice SP1...LOVE the green furnature...is it totally original?

Not original, built it from parts.  Aiming for a clone of a 601 circa 1960, earliest production SP1's date from 1963.
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#50]
First post here...

Here's (hoping the photo post works) my 1982 SP1 Carbine I bought then along with a Sporter Target 6551 I picked up recently.  The edited out rifle to the left is a SOCOM 16...

Some nice pix in this thread.  Great site!

http://home.att.net/~k4iq/ARssmall.jpg
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top