User Panel

Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Story of my MRF-DI

I actually got my rail a few weeks ago, but haven't taken any pics of it yet http://smiliesftw.com/x/hsdance.gif

It's a Troy Industries MRF-DI (Modular Rail Forend - Drop In). According to Troy it's a non-free float rail system - they're technically right, but their locking system is so fucking sweet, for all intensive porpoises it is free float.

Backstory: I was originally planning to get a Knights Armament RAS, but it isn't free float. Then I heard about the new Daniel Defense Omega Rail which IS free float. The only things I don't like about the DD OR is it creates a monolithic appearance http://smiliesftw.com/x/greddy2.gif, and the price.

At SHOT 2008 I saw the MRF-DI and it blew all the other competition out of the water. It locks to itself unlike the KAC RAS and it doesn't give a monolithic appearance to the upper. The best part: it does all this at half the cost of the other two rails! $157 shipped http://smiliesftw.com/x/eek5.gif

Enough talk, on to the pics!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i231/hossb7/ar151.jpg
mounted to my CMMG upper

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i231/hossb7/ar152.jpg
i think it wants rail covers http://smiliesftw.com/x/hsdance.gif

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i231/hossb7/ar153.jpg
note the screws that lock this bitch up tighter than a 14 year old's clam

next up is a Vickers sling, some KAC rail covers and maybe a VFG http://smiliesftw.com/x/Flag.gif
Link Posted: 4/24/2008 11:33:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey I have the smith&wesson m&p15x I love the gun and the rails but I have been noticeing they are not nearly stable enough to mount optics on and so I was just looking at your pic's and mine dont have the screws in the bottom, The part number is the same mrf-di-07 I am new to guns in general and definitely new to the ar does anybody know what the deal is with it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2008 2:38:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Can anyone get a measurement of the width?  
Link Posted: 4/26/2008 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
next up is a Vickers sling, some KAC rail covers and maybe a VFG

THANK YOU for showing some high resolution pictures.  That gives us all a much better idea of what they look like.  I seem to recall KAC rail covers not working on this rail.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Larue FVG?

Link Posted: 4/26/2008 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The KAC panels will NOT work with this rail.  Troy rails lack the KAC relief cut on the rearmost and foremost rail for them to fit.  Still a sweet setup thought, gonna build something like that using the same rail and most likely optic setup.  How do you like the compact ACOG?  Does the FSB interfere with your sight picture?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2008 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#6]
While there is no cut for the KAC panel, they still do fit. I borrowed a panel from a friend and it fit on so snugly it would NOT come off.

The 3x30 is a great optic, very light weight. I see zero shadow from the front sight.
Link Posted: 4/27/2008 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats some good stuff right there. I would like to get myself a set sometime.
Link Posted: 4/27/2008 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
next up is a Vickers sling, some KAC rail covers and maybe a VFG

THANK YOU for showing some high resolution pictures.  That gives us all a much better idea of what they look like.  I seem to recall KAC rail covers not working on this rail.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Larue FVG?

probably not a larue VFG. while it looks amazing, i'm NOT about to spend $100 on a grip.

i'm leaning towards the AAC grip, or perhaps tango down.
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 5:26:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Can anyone get a measurement of the width?  

Does no one have this answer?  HossB, would you be so kind to throw a ruler up to your rail for a measurement of width?
Link Posted: 4/28/2008 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Going by my old school dail calliper it is 2 3/16" wide at the place where the QD swivles go.  Here is a crapy pic taken with my phone.  HTH.

Link Posted: 4/28/2008 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks BRO!
Link Posted: 4/29/2008 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I run KAC RAS and love it
But I think I will buy a Troy HG for my Back Up M4
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I ordered a set of these from the OP a couple of months ago while I was waiting for my RRA to arrive. The rails feel fantastic and appear to be very goo d quality. I am very happy with them, especially for the price.

My rifle finally got here last week. I tried to install them today (with some qualified help) and couldn't get them on. I ADMIT I AM A NEWB but the two other folks assisting me couldn't get them on either (one is an active member here and an AR enthusiast and the other was the gunsmith/range master at our local range).

I pulled the delta ring all the way down (even used the tool) and got the front end of the top piece in easily enough. The back end just couldn't/wouldn't get on far enough for the ring to close back into place. I then took it off and tried the bottom piece. It went on fine. I just never could get the top in.

HELP.

Disclaimer: I am in no way knocking the product or the OP (seller). I just need HELP.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I ordered a set of these from the OP a couple of months ago while I was waiting for my RRA to arrive. The rails feel fantastic and appear to be very goo d quality. I am very happy with them, especially for the price.

My rifle finally got here last week. I tried to install them today (with some qualified help) and couldn't get them on. I ADMIT I AM A NEWB but the two other folks assisting me couldn't get them on either (one is an active member here and an AR enthusiast and the other was the gunsmith/range master at our local range).

I pulled the delta ring all the way down (even used the tool) and got the front end of the top piece in easily enough. The back end just couldn't/wouldn't get on far enough for the ring to close back into place. I then took it off and tried the bottom piece. It went on fine. I just never could get the top in.

HELP.

Disclaimer: I am in no way knocking the product or the OP (seller). I just need HELP.

I'll try to explain on here but I don't know the name of the parts so bare with me.
The cap behind the front sight has two detents on it.  That is what kept my top rail from going in.  I filed the part of the rail that rests again that just a hair to make it fit.  I did a little at a time to make sure I didn't take off too much.  I was going to go back and blacken the parts with some Aluminum Black but you can't hardly see where I did the work so I didn't bother.
A friend of mine had to do the same with his MI rails.  We thought it was a Colt related problem but I guess other rifles have the same issue.
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks to the last poster for the advice.

I wanted to let everyone know how FAST I rec'd a response from both the OP, Bravo Company, and Troy. I sent a quick e-mail yesterday evening asking for any advice, tips, tricks on installation of the rail to my RRA. I was not complaining or asking for anything other than advice.

I rec'd responses first thing this morning from both Bravo Company and Troy. I couldn't be happier with the replies I received from each.

Bravo Company stated it sounded like I was doing everything correctly and offered to try installing it for me, just in case. If they couldn't get it to work either, they would pull a different one off the shelf and install it. HOLY CRAP!!! What a great offer.

However, I ended up taking up Troy on their offer. The message was directly from their VP/OM. He stated they had recently done a design modification so the rails would work with Colts. He suggested the re-designed model might work for me and is sending a UPS label to return the rail to them. My new rail will ship out first thing next week when they get their next shipment.

I AM A NEW HUGE FAN of both Bravo Company and Troy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 1:20:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I should have contacted Troy first.  
I'm happy with it anyway.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Some pics from my SBR build.  I really like these, and they install easily and lock up really tight.

Link Posted: 5/15/2008 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I just bought one for $159 from a dealer here in Houston, maybe they were a little overpriced, but compared to the Surefire or other brands, it's much cheaper but supposed to be just as good quality since Troy has just started up with this item. I installed it on my new RRA 6.8 SPC Upper in less than 5 minutes, and the high grade alluminum feels great. i can't wait to get a weaponlight and other toys for it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Got a set of 7 inch Carbin last week.  Had LEO qualification this week for rifles.  Fired over 400 rounds and have no problems with movement.  Excellent purchase, very rock solid with no movement.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#20]
rifle length please...
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Got a set of 7 inch Carbin last week.  Had LEO qualification this week for rifles.  Fired over 400 rounds and have no problems with movement.  Excellent purchase, very rock solid with no movement.  

+1 These are amazing rails!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I ordered a set directly from the factory and received them today.  Mine have some changes from the first set of pictures posted.

1) Instead of using hex screws, the screws are now a slot head for a standard flat tip screwdriver.

2) There are cuts in the rails that allow for the KAC rail covers to be installed.  I installed one cover to see how well the slots worked and the cover locked into place.  I will say the KAC covers are very tight and required a light tap from a rubber hammer to get the cover off.

Overall, I am very impressed with the rails and am glad I made the decision to get them.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#23]

1) Instead of using hex screws, the screws are now a slot head for a standard flat tip screwdriver.

Mine too. I went out and got hex screws to replace the slot head.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Mine too. I went out and got hex screws to replace the slot head.

OOOOOOOO YAHHH... KAC cuts... seriously?  I just bought some KAC panels, and thought I would have to spend the extra money on the Omega rail just for KAC cuts.  Can someone conffirm this... PICS PLEASE.  if they have KAC cuts put me down for one for sure.  Thanks in advanced.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I called Troy & the guy I talked to didn't even know what I meant by KAC cuts, let alone who KAC were.  Maybe I just got a clueless guy from tech support.  Any help?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Here's some pics of the rails I received.  They aren't the best, but theu show the screws and the KAC cuts

i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/aggietke2000/P6040041.jpg
i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/aggietke2000/P6040042.jpg
i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/aggietke2000/P6040043.jpgi284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/aggietke2000/P6040034.jpg

Awsome, thanks.  and they slide on fine, they just hard to get off?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#28]
They go on just fine and lock on tight.  The hard part is getting the kac covers off.  If you plan on leaving them on, you should have no problems.

Glad I could help.
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 6:01:54 AM EDT
[#29]
The Troy drop-in Rails have worked great for me, top quality kit. Troy is making some other outstanding products as well. I picked up some used KAC rail covers that work without issues for me, but I could care less about the KAC metal spring clip used with their rail covers. Too easy to damage and once the spring is sprung the cover is done.
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I just installed one on my CarArms lower and Stag M4'gery in a matter of minutes without a blip. Seems nice and tight and looks like a factory install. It is going to be painted OD to match my lower. The money I saved on this versus the DD rail, I can go and buy a nice light to go on it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I wants 4 middy!
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#32]
How will these fit over the heavier contoured barrels (M4 SOCOM profile) ?
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 3:55:43 AM EDT
[#33]
height=8
Quoted:
I wants 4 middy!

+1!
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#34]
I love you guy's at Bravo Company.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Any word on when the flat dark earth will be available??? I want BAD !!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Do these have QD sling swivel sockets in the front as well as the rear?
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes they do.

Quoted:
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Yes they do.

Quoted:

Great news! I can't understand why other manufacturers dont' do this as well.

I hope Troy gets the middy version out soon.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wants 4 middy!

+1!

+2, I'm building a middy right now, and I havent picked my handgaurd yet
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Does anyone know if it'll fit on a POF upper? On mine, M4 handguards need to be enlarged by the delta ring on top.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#41]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
I wants 4 middy!

+1!

+2, I'm building a middy right now, and I havent picked my handgaurd yet

Me too!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Does anyone know if Troy intends to make a rifle-length version of the MRF-DI?

~BakerMike
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Does anyone know if Troy intends to make a rifle-length version of the MRF-DI?

~BakerMike

Yes. It will be next followed by the middy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Yes. It will be next followed by the middy.

Hooray! Thanks!

~BakerMike
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#45]
A pic of my MRF-DI handguards!

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Here's some pics of the rails I received.  They aren't the best, but theu show the screws and the KAC cuts

i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/aggietke2000/P6040041.jpg
i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/aggietke2000/P6040042.jpg
i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/aggietke2000/P6040043.jpgi284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/aggietke2000/P6040034.jpg

Where did you get yours from?  I want to make sure I get a set with KAC cuts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Directly from Troy
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Directly from Troy

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/2/2008 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Are there any plans to make these for mid-lengths?
Link Posted: 11/8/2008 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Are there any plans to make these for mid-lengths?

DO WANT!
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top