Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:16:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got website problems. I can't get to the send a brick site through any link, through any browser. I get the same GoDaddy parked page that others get.

This is a problem. Anyone know what's up w/ that?

Also, I'm working on more flyers at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:23:48 AM EDT
[#2]
It looks like the actually site is at:

http://www.send-a-brick.com

Make sure all the other domains forward to that address.

I'm seeing http://sendabrick.com forward but not http://www.sendabrick.com

Lets me sure all of these are working right.

Thanks foreverybodys efforts so far.

I'm writting letters today and spreading the word.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:26:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Can you explain the Step 4 problem better?

The media page was screwed up because the Lars links was set to "mouseover" instead of "click on" It's fixed. If it still i messed up, let me know.

If people would, go click around the site and look for porblems again. Thanks.

under step 4, it looks like there are two groups of text, layered over top of each other.  that's the best way I can describe it.

and it only shows up in IE, in Firefox the text is fine.

after looking at it further, in IE, it looks like the last paragraph of step 3 is occupying the same space as the first paragraph of step 4

hope that helps.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:26:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Update on the Lars Larson show:

Send-A-Brick was talked about on Lar's National show yesterday.

He now has a section on his website where you can send a 'virtual' brick you your congressmen.

http://www.larslarson.com/LinksNStuff/PhotoGallery/SendaBricktoCongress/default.aspx
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:31:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

He now has a section on his website where you can send a 'virtual' brick you your congressmen.

http://www.larslarson.com/LinksNStuff/PhotoGallery/SendaBricktoCongress/default.aspx

Hmmm...

I hope that our real bricks don't get dumped on in favor of easier, faster and cheaper "virtual" bricks.

Way to go him for lazyfying (Americanizing?) our plan.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:56:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm...

I hope that our real bricks don't get dumped on in favor of easier, faster and cheaper "virtual" bricks.

+1, virtual bricks are NOT going to cut it.  That's DU-style laziness.  All about "feeling" like you did something, without actually doing anything.  People are more likely to follow through with this if they are invested in it, even only $5 worth.  If you pack up a brick and spend $5 on postage, you're way more likely to call and harass your legislator to make sure they got it, as opposed to an e-mail.  I do NOT like the virtual brick thing at all -- can someone call Lars Larson and bring this up with him?

ETA And I REALLY don't think we should be linking to the virtual bricks from our site -- what a disincentive!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:03:55 AM EDT
[#7]
NEW UPDATE:  I have a press release ready to go and being proofread, what I need is the "leader" of this project to give me his or her real name and sign off on a quote I took the liberty of writing for you.  PM me, thanks.

We also need to decide when to send it.  It can go out today or we can wait until Monday.  I actually lean toward Monday, because it's Passover/Easter weekend and the news cycle is going to SUCK.  But if we want to jump on it today, I think we can as soon as the website is totally fixed.

ALSO:  On the "Brick Pics" section of the website, "world" is spelled wrong.  It says "wold."
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:16:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm...

+1, virtual bricks are NOT going to cut it.  That's DU-style laziness.  All about "feeling" like you did something, without actually doing anything.  People are more likely to follow through with this if they are invested in it, even only $5 worth.  If you pack up a brick and spend $5 on postage, you're way more likely to call and harass your legislator to make sure they got it, as opposed to an e-mail.  I do NOT like the virtual brick thing at all -- can someone call Lars Larson and bring this up with him?

+2

TANGIBLE items denoting our outrage will gain attention.  Virtual representations are nothing more than an alternate of a standard form letter that, as we all know, is easily ignored and dismissed.  The idea was impact, not standard methods proven to be ignored.  

Stick to our guns, people.  Send the real things.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:20:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
NEW UPDATE:  I have a press release ready to go and being proofread, what I need is the "leader" of this project to give me his or her real name and sign off on a quote I took the liberty of writing for you.  PM me, thanks.

We also need to decide when to send it.  It can go out today or we can wait until Monday.  I actually lean toward Monday, because it's Passover/Easter weekend and the news cycle is going to SUCK.  But if we want to jump on it today, I think we can as soon as the website is totally fixed.

ALSO:  On the "Brick Pics" section of the website, "world" is spelled wrong.  It says "wold."

I haven't had the opportunity to speak with you much.  Are you well experienced in press releases?

Sorry for the stupid question - I know you're busting your butt and staying busy with this project, but my curiosity is getting the best of me.  I will help you out in any way I can, if I can.  All you need do is ask (I do semi-professional writing and editing as a side gig).  

Also, I think a female PR director definately shows a unity to the cause.  

EDIT:  fat fingers and blurry screen.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:23:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't had the opportunity to speak with you much.  Are you well experienced in press releases?

Sorry for the stupid question - I know you're busting your butt and staying busy with this project, but my curiosity is getting the best of me.  I will help you out in any way I can, if you can.  All you need do is ask (I do semi-professional writing and editing as a side gig).  

Yup, that was my job pre-kids, Public Affairs Director for a large grassroots lobbying group.  This is right up my alley.  I will definitely let you know when this gets too big for one person to handle, though.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:28:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry for the stupid question - I know you're busting your butt and staying busy with this project, but my curiosity is getting the best of me.  I will help you out in any way I can, if you can.  All you need do is ask (I do semi-professional writing and editing as a side gig).  

Yup, that was my job pre-kids, Public Affairs Director for a large grassroots lobbying group.  This is right up my alley.  I will definitely let you know when this gets too big for one person to handle, though.  

Very cool!  The amount and scope of talent we have on this site never ceases to amaze me.  Well, you go girl!  Call upon me if you need any help or a second set of eyes.  Not trying to steal your thunder, and I have no experiences in press releases, just offering to help where I am able.  I know y'all are swamped right now, and volunteers are always appreciated in endeavors of this nature.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:36:59 AM EDT
[#12]
There is no thunder to be stolen.  I just like doing this stuff and haven't gotten to do it in a while since I have a toddler I'm home raising.  But I know I will need lots of help once this gets off the ground, since the toddler requires a fair bit of care and feeding and I'm trying to get two houses on the market.  Consider yourself on the PR team, Richard.  :)
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:42:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow are the DC letter carriers going to be mad.

TAG
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:42:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Pat Grey (950 KPRC Houston) was talking about send-a-brick.com on his show.  He has it linked to his home page.  Pat Grey Show
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:46:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Pat Grey (950 KPRC Houston) was talking about send-a-brick.com on his show.  He has it linked to his home page.  Pat Grey Show

Woo HOO!

And we're off!  I expect the southern border states, such as AZ, TX, NV, and CA will be heavily populating the brick site and taking their stand in ways and numbers unprecedented in the last few decades.  

This is history, folks.  I'm telling you, this is history.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes!  

BTW, I have noticed that send-a-brick.com has picked up almost 1000 hits in the past hour! Wow, is this thing taking off or what?

Keep hitting the local call-in shows. Even if the big fish such as Rush, Savage, O'Reilly, etc don't mention the site, if numerous local radio hosts pick it up, it won't matter. The publicity will still be very good. So email your local hosts. And if they don't mention it themselves, make an effort to call in on your own and bring it up.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:49:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
How many stamps do I have to put on a brick to mail it to Washington DC?

-James

Stuff it in a USPS bulk-priority envelope (free at your local post office) & pay $3.85
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:56:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Woo HOO!

And we're off!  I expect the southern border states, such as AZ, TX, NV, and CA will be heavily populating the brick site and taking their stand in ways and numbers unprecedented in the last few decades.  

This is history, folks.  I'm telling you, this is history.  

+1
This is going to be huge, a big thanks to the organizers of this. For the first time in this whole illegal immigration fiasco I feel like we can actually do something, it is far to easy to ignore e-mails but this is different.

I'm still working on my local show.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes!  

BTW, I have noticed that send-a-brick.com has picked up almost 1000 hits in the past hour! Wow, is this thing taking off or what?

Keep hitting the local call-in shows. Even if the big fish such as Rush, Savage, O'Reilly, etc don't mention the site, if numerous local radio hosts pick it up, it won't matter. The publicity will still be very good. So email your local hosts. And if they don't mention it themselves, make an effort to call in on your own and bring it up.

Yep!

I am contacting every local television and radio station in the valley, requesting that they inform the public of the send-a-brick website and our idea to send a tangible message, and to report the site as fairly as possible to allow listeners to reach their own conclusions.  

We can sit on our duffsand hope, or we can participate in an effort to let our voices be heard above the roar.  The choice is an individual one, but all teams are nothing more than individuals with common determinations and organized leadership.  We have that, so now is the time to act.  It will not be long before they are forced to pay attention to the majority of the voting populace.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:13:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Just fired off an email to Michael Savage, Andrew Wilkow of 810WGY!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:20:12 AM EDT
[#21]
You can go ahead and add a new radio talk show to the list discussing send-a-brick.com. It was just discussed on the Dave Baker Show on WLAP 630 AM in Lexington, KY. Someone called in and informed the host about the website and he went there and read off the contents as well as the mission of the site, and he mentioned the web address at least twice.

www.wlap.com/pages/baker.html?feed=124642&article=395593

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#22]
A new flier:

www.freaksho.net/files/brick2.pdf

And as usual, a preview:

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:24:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You can go ahead and add a new radio talk show to the list discussing send-a-brick.com. It was just discussed on the Dave Baker Show on WLAP 630 AM in Lexington, KY. Someone called in and informed the host about the website and he went there and read off the contents as well as the mission of the site, and he mentioned the web address at least twice.

www.wlap.com/pages/baker.html?feed=124642&article=395593

Right on my brother!  You rock!

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

What a turd-sucking poo stabber  

He basically jacks the idea and tries to arrange it in such a way that its most potent impact (the actual, physical brick) is negated just so he can have another bauble on his website.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Another update.......

Sue Wylie, of WVLK 590 AM in Lexington, KY who just happened to have on a guest today who's planning a weekend protest against illegal immigration in the city of Lexington, just mentioned Send-A-Brick.com on her talk show also! She was commenting on how the idea of sending bricks with attached messages to Congress was "very, very interesting".

wvlkam.com/skin/graphic.php?sectionId=184&contentId=137442

Of course I wouldn't have any knowledge of how she learned about the site.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What a turd-sucking poo stabber  

He basically jacks the idea and tries to arrange it in such a way that its most potent impact (the actual, physical brick) is negated just so he can have another bauble on his website.

While I understand and actually somewhat agree with this sentiment, I must remind you and everyone else that THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE A DISCUSSION THREAD.

PLEASE reserve this thread, as much as possible, for updates and strategy only.  No commentary, please.  The real updates are getting buried.

Please see the top post on page one for a new update.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#27]
I sent an email to Lee Cruse and Dave Baker with the site (and temporary site) a few days ago to give them a head start. It looks like it got through although I didn't hear him mention it (I must have missed it.) I love the idea and support this cause!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#28]
ok, I could access the site this morning, and now I'm getting the godaddy reservation page again.

what's up?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The site has been updated.

Things we need:

1. Pictures of decorated bricks. Paints those suckers and send me pics.
2. Some to write a template letter that people can print out and send with their brick.
3. Whenever you hear, read or see Send-A-Brick in the media, send me any links and let me know about it so I can put it on the media page.

Thanks for the helps guys. Keep pushing this and keep and eye out for media.

This isn't a letter.  I've given up writing letters.  They do NOT read them.  However, a image tells a thousand words.  I'm wrapping each of my bricks in the following 8.5x11 image I created.  It says ALMOST everything I want to say.  I'm posting a low-res version.  If anyone wants the 8.5x11 300 dpi version, send me an email to my ARFCOM account, and I'll e-mail it to you.  This is a great idea- and I pray that it works.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Hey is it ok if i save that image and use it as well?

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Most definitely you can use it.  I can send anyone the full size file.  I also have it as a desktop background for your workstation.  Just send me an e-mail.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Guys USPS Flat Rate boxes are your friend.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
ok, I could access the site this morning, and now I'm getting the godaddy reservation page again.

what's up?

The domain is still brand new and has that new car smell and everything. Your browser does NOT always use the same route to get to a website. And if one of the DNS servers along that route are not updated with the new name server address then you will get the reservation page at godaddy.

Really it takes 48-72 hours for all the servers to become updated, and we are comming up on 36 hours I believe.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#34]

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/rugerp345/DontTreadonUs-webready.jpg

It looks like it says " We Will Never Close The Borders"
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Stormtrooper,

It still is a FREE Country !  You don't like my image or find it confusing?  Create your own.  I've shown it to 5 people in the office, and no one was confused.  The rattlesnake seperates the text nicely IMHO.   The text was offset to capture the readers attention.  I just don't think it is confusing, given the other text and graphics.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stormtrooper,

It still is a FREE Country !  You don't like my image or find it confusing?  Create your own.  I've shown it to 5 people in the office, and no one was confused.  The rattlesnake seperates the text nicely IMHO.   The text was offset to capture the readers attention.  I just don't think it is confusing, given the other text and graphics.

Dunno if you got my IM or not (I sometimes mean to send them and then click the wrong button), but I saw the exact same thing when I read it.

For what it's worth,

mr0w1
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stormtrooper,

Dunno if you got my IM or not (I sometimes mean to send them and then click the wrong button), but I saw the exact same thing when I read it.

For what it's worth,

mr0w1

OK.  You guys win.  I got my panties unbunched and changed it for you.  Have a great day !

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Lars just said he is trying to work on a way to send real bricks, but he has to work out details.  I sent him an email telling him that the centralized approach isn't as good as thousands or individuals sending bricks themselves.  I think he's trying to get some credit here.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#39]
I was just on the Schnitt Show - WFLA-AM, Tampa - WIOD-am, Miami - WSCC-FM, Charleston

They contacted me and have jumped on board. They've posted a link to us on their site. http://www.schnittshow.com/main.html

I did a quick little interview. Nothin flashy, but apparently he's been talking about it the whole show.

Hopefully a Floridian was listening and can post up.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I was just on the Schnitt Show - WFLA-AM, Tampa - WIOD-am, Miami - WSCC-FM, Charleston

They contacted me and have jumped on board. They've posted a link to us on their site. http://www.schnittshow.com/main.html

I did a quick little interview. Nothin flashy, but apparently he's been talking about it the whole show.

I emailed them and called earlier to tell them about send a brick.

You did a great job!  I'll call them back again tommorrow and Monday for rush hour.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Fix the fucking website NOW.

I just referred someone to it, and they say its "unprofessional and sloppy" because pure HTML compliant browsers are fucking up the text/graphics allignment in resolutions other than 800x600.

Someone get ahold of "hosting matters" which is a good hosting company with a huge fat pipe, and see if they'll help.

Also, the BLOGGER "nzbear" might be a good resource, as he's already running the 'porkbusters' site.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Simmer down, Gonzo.  There are people that have been doing things for this project straight through since yesterday.  The important thing was to get the site rolling ASAP and corrections can be made.  The Boston Tea Party had a crappy website and it turned out in our favor.

Please reserve this thread for updates on the promotion of the Send-A-Brick Project.  There is another live thread for the discussion.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Topix has it

Now we need to make it first on the list with a google search!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I just referred someone to it, and they say its "unprofessional and sloppy" because pure HTML compliant browsers are fucking up the text/graphics allignment in resolutions other than 800x600.

Someone get ahold of "hosting matters" which is a good hosting company with a huge fat pipe, and see if they'll help.

Also, the BLOGGER "nzbear" might be a good resource, as he's already running the 'porkbusters' site.

I just talked to tx mustang and he's on it, trying to fix it.  The problem is probably that their browsers are old, and we may not be able to completely fix that right away.  But tx mustang says that if it continues much longer he's going to get help.

Please refrain from cursing people out.  Everyone is doing the best they can, as fast as they can.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just talked to tx mustang and he's on it, trying to fix it.  The problem is probably that their browsers are old, and we may not be able to completely fix that right away.  But tx mustang says that if it continues much longer he's going to get help.

Please refrain from cursing people out.  Everyone is doing the best they can, as fast as they can.

Sorry for my "trucker's mouth" -- I do apologize.    I followed up and this information may help:

It seems that people with FIREFOX, OPERA and KDE / linux based browsers are having issues, especially if they have Windows or their operating system set to use "large" fonts.  

In terms of bandwidth, once Rush and a few others link, you'll probably go down.   You organizers ought to be sure you're not paying for bandwith "by usage" at that point, and should seriously consider a "fat pipe" provider like "hosting matters" or one of the others that do the high traffic blogs.  

Again, sorry for the frustration.   I had e-mailed a listserve and got several nasty comments back, so I was feeling frustrated.  I'm an example of armchair ciommando "dumbassness" given all the work you all have been doing.   But I did send 5 bricks out this week! ;-)
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry for my "trucker's mouth" -- I do apologize.    I followed up and this information may help:

It seems that people with FIREFOX, OPERA and KDE / linux based browsers are having issues, especially if they have Windows or their operating system set to use "large" fonts.  

In terms of bandwidth, once Rush and a few others link, you'll probably go down.   You organizers ought to be sure you're not paying for bandwith "by usage" at that point, and should seriously consider a "fat pipe" provider like "hosting matters" or one of the others that do the high traffic blogs.  

Again, sorry for the frustration.   I had e-mailed a listserve and got several nasty comments back, so I was feeling frustrated.  I'm an example of armchair ciommando "dumbassness" given all the work you all have been doing.   But I did send 5 bricks out this week! ;-)

IM this to texas_mustang_01 -- it's information he needs to have and I'm not sure he's checking this thread.

Thanks for sending the bricks -- that's the most important part!

And FWIW, I use Firefox and haven't had a problem.  I'll play around with my settings and see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#47]
I use dreamweaver to build so I usually don't worry about the small percentage of people not using IE or Firefox with normal settings.

I changed all the fonts to the defaut font for each peron's computer and made them smaller so they wouldn't overlap as much. Let me know if that has helped any.

I don't know how to remedy it any other way, so if somebody want to help me out, please IM me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stormtrooper,

I love it!!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I listen to WFLA and work in Pinellas.  Heard your whole interview and it was well composed.  You made the points all of America has been screaming to Washington.  Schnitt also said the site originated from the website "AR15.com"!  ARFCOM on the air man!  I wouldn't be surprised if both sites get some extra traffic for a while.  You got props from me!

ETA--Schnitt is very PRO 2A too...  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#50]
All right I tend to move slowly on these things, but other than spreading the word, and mailing some bricks what can I do to help

ETA

I have some bricks lying around to be donated.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top