Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#1]
My only complaint were the perms women had.  Unnaturally frizzy hair, yuk.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]
In honor of this thread, I think I'll have some fondue and a bottle of Lancers this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ugh....  The disco Pinto....  Buddy of mine has that exact car with like 8,000 original miles.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:14:47 PM EDT
[#4]
We should have received messages from the future to go buy machine guns at the hardware store.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
PlaneJane once posted a pic of herself from back in the 70's.  

She embodies everything that was AWESOME about that decade.  

I'd like to see that pic and the 70s were bitchin.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want to get an idea what it was like in the 70's watch the movie Phantasm. I had a 70 Cuda 440. They have a black one in the movie. This movie reminds me of my life in the 70's except the super natural stuff.
I used to drive on the back roads pretty regular at 13 years old. Drove my buddies 70 Chevelle to the next big city at 15. We lived in the country. Not a lot of other kids around. Every day we were shooting,fishing,dirt bikes,snow mobiling . No cops or game comission giving you a hard time.
You had to be there. Talk about fun. try launching a 500 hp muscle car on bias ply tires listening to a Zeplin song for the first time. The girls were prettier then. It was a natural beauty type of thing. Listen to the song Chevy Van. It always brings back memories of the natural beautiful girls of the 70's. Bare foot dark natural tan cut offs and a tube top. Tube tops were easy to pull down.I would go back in a miniute.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I dunno. I kinda like my Dhobi (1970's) overcoat.

That coat is VERY cool

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ugh....  The disco Pinto....  Buddy of mine has that exact car with like 8,000 original miles.  

That is a Mustang II. Not a good representation of a 70's car.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Holy fuck, my parents kitchen looked exactly like that!
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
The fact that a lot o chicks went bra less  made up for it!!  

oh man, halter tops!!!

And tube tops!

and hot pants

but you're right disco sucked.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It wasn't ugly,it was beautiful man.

Thanks,Cheech......where's Chong?

Prison,I think.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Sorry, that is badass... Kitschy, but still badass.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Hell yes.  I never think about it that much, but that is a BEAUTIFUL car.  It was more of an exception than the rule.... most cars in the 70's looked like shit, and that trend went up right through the 90s.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I noticed that as well. Everything seems to look dirty to me.

I'm glad I missed the 70's.

Your loss.  

The 70's was a GREAT time to be a kid.

In fact, in retrospect, it may have been the best time in modern history to have been a kid.

I completely agree, it was just expected we would disappear, outside for the entire day, all Summer long,

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Far from it...

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I noticed that as well. Everything seems to look dirty to me.

I'm glad I missed the 70's.

Your loss.  

The 70's was a GREAT time to be a kid.

In fact, in retrospect, it may have been the best time in modern history to have been a kid.

I completely agree, it was just expected we would disappear, outside for the entire day, all Summer long,

The 1980s were just like that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#18]

I don't know anything about the movie Phantasm, but beyond that, this is actually a fairly accurate description ...

Quoted:

If you want to get an idea what it was like in the 70's watch the movie Phantasm. I had a 70 Cuda 440. They have a black one in the movie. This movie reminds me of my life in the 70's except the super natural stuff.

I used to drive on the back roads pretty regular at 13 years old. Drove my buddies 70 Chevelle to the next big city at 15. We lived in the country. Not a lot of other kids around. Every day we were shooting, fishing, dirt bikes, snow mobiling . No cops or game comission giving you a hard time.

You had to be there.

Talk about fun. try launching a 500 hp muscle car on bias ply tires listening to a Zeplin song for the first time. The girls were prettier then. It was a natural beauty type of thing. Listen to the song Chevy Van. It always brings back memories of the natural beautiful girls of the 70's. Bare foot dark natural tan cut offs and a tube top. Tube tops were easy to pull down.I would go back in a miniute.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#19]
You don't think people won't look back on this decade and think the same?

I mean, at least you could tell a man from a woman back then
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#20]
70's (early&late 60s);
Cop caught you drinking, it got poured out, he told you to throw the rest of the case in his trunk......
Wimminz wore next to nothing most of the time....
Free lovin'..........
Disco and nightclubs....
Bell bottoms......
Leisure suits......
Drag racing........
Beach parties with real bon fires..........
Had a shot gun in the window rack of my pick up, nobody gave a shit it was there......
Gas was about .40/gallon......
Beer 12 bucks a case........
It was fun.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There were a lot less fat people.

True but everybody smoked.

Which is probably why there were a whole lot less fat people lolol

That and even as a child I dont remember things smelling like smoke in people's homes.  Born in 65 here, was too young to get more than a hint of the 70s lol

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Much of the misrepresentation of the 1970's mixes the old avocado orange home interior of the 1950's and the crazy fashions of 1965-69. The true 1970's were earth tones, marble tiles, and wall to wall beige carpets. Hollywood misrepresents almost everything.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was watching Taxi Driver tonight. The people are all dressed like clowns. White people with afros. Then I remembered Norcal's thread about home decor of the 70's.

I know every decade has its weird fashions but there's something especially ugly about the 70's.  

Believe it or not, in forty years people will look back on right now and comment on how butt ugly everything was.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
GTFO.

The first 2 years of the 70's produced some beautiful muscle cars. After that, well, nevermind.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Very cool!
My room mate in college had one of those - "stylin".....  
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was watching Taxi Driver tonight. The people are all dressed like clowns. White people with afros. Then I remembered Norcal's thread about home decor of the 70's.

I know every decade has its weird fashions but there's something especially ugly about the 70's.  

Believe it or not, in forty years people will look back on right now and comment on how butt ugly everything was.

Not really, much of what has been made now, out of cheap inferior materials will not last 40 years.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I still don't mind kitchens that look like that and I am OK with those colors.  Most of my younger pictures look like they were taken in a child molester's basement, if he was letting his victims mix drinks in a co-ed environment and listen to music.  That wood panelling just screams 1967 or later.  Like an American Apparel ad, basically, with a lot more hair.  Obviously, it wasn't gray back then.  I remember getting a crew cut and realizing that my head was actually lighter ...
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really, much of what has been made now, out of cheap inferior materials will not last 40 years.

A good point.  One of my friends just build what he hopes will be his last house and he went with a cabinetmaker who was about 65 because the guy still remembered when "plywood" meant 1 inch thick or more and heavy.  That stuff was before the softwood shortage (1974 or something?) when the cost of anything wooden went up every month for a few years.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still don't mind kitchens that look like that and I am OK with those colors.  Most of my younger pictures look like they were taken in a child molester's basement, if he was letting his victims mix drinks in a co-ed environment and listen to music.  That wood panelling just screams 1967 or later.  Like an American Apparel ad, basically, with a lot more hair.  Obviously, it wasn't gray back then.  I remember getting a crew cut and realizing that my head was actually lighter ...

And then there was the shag carpet in the bathrooms.....

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and in the kitchen in some houses.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#32]
It is true on the muscle cars. In '78 my sister got a 390 '70 javelin with a four speed for $500. Her boyfriend got a plain, unmolested '70 SS396 Chevelle for around $600, they both worked at grocery stores. In those days there was still a "black part of town" in OKC. I broke down for some reason in the middle of it and had a 50 yr old or so black guy pull over and give me a jump. Better race relations, less dangerous all together. The stuff does look ugly in retrospect, but it all looked cool then. I would go back to 1978 in a second
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, ok.  That was a bad idea.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey there young one,

that was not "butt ugly" it was "in style"

born in 65' the jeans on girls in Jr. High were great, tight sweaters in winter and tight tops in spring and fall. High school in the early 80's with big hair was good also.

As a kid it was different than now, back then we were inside when we HAD to be, other than that we were outside, riding bikes, playing football, baseball, go out camping even it was in the backyard. Hell most kids now have never slept in a tent. they want to play video games and computer crap.

Then in 81 when we got our cars, it was time to go swimming in the river or ocean yes that was damn cold water, shooting, fishing and yes the girls were happy to join in and participate. How many kids do that now?
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#36]
There sure were a lot of interesting experiments in hi-fi in the 1970s.  You still see some of the same names in current companies (no, not just Bob Carver).  That was when a lot of that stuff started.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I was a kid in the 70s and I certainly remember lots of stuff looking great.

Cars, women - the fashions of the day were pretty skimpy/racy by today's standards - planes, rockets, you name it.

The 70s brought you the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders!

Part of basing your perception on film is difference in film technology over time.  Today you get Dr. Seuss surrealism when it comes to color in film and TV - in the 70s you got Technicolor or similar and it's own unique distortion of reality.

The world really hasn't changed so much as film & television have.

ETA - post above is excellent.  Some high-end 70s stereo gear was beautiful, hell some downright crappy 70s hi-fi gear looked great.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There sure were a lot of interesting experiments in hi-fi in the 1970s.  You still see some of the same names in current companies (no, not just Bob Carver).  That was when a lot of that stuff started.

I used to love to go into that special speaker room at Pacific Stereo in So Cal. Never sounded that good in my apartment.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
70's (early&late 60s);
Cop caught you drinking, it got poured out, he told you to throw the rest of the case in his trunk......
Free lovin'..........
Disco and nightclubs....
Bell bottoms......
Leisure suits......
Drag racing........
Had a shot gun in the window rack of my pick up, nobody gave a shit it was there......
It was fun.

The beer I buy is still 12 bucks a case.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Born 1970. Carefree as a kid  in the 70's. Just remember a bunch of Hippies. Early 80's I do remember my dad buying an M1 carbine at a  gun show for $ 150 bucks. Worst part about growing up was being scared to death about the Soviets dropping nukes on us but  as a 40 something now that fear pails in comparison to our current situation with our own country.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

70's (early&late 60s);

Free lovin'..........

Disco and nightclubs....

Bell bottoms......

Leisure suits......

Drag racing........

It was fun.

The beer I buy is still bucks a case.  

But you can't get Billy Beer.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

We should have received messages from the future to go buy machine guns at the hardware store.

I read that as "massages" as was like... WTF?

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#43]
The 1970's were good.  My first daughter was born in the 70's.

TV was good too, as shown here!

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#44]
I was born in 72.  What I remember was that Carter was a joke, yet better than what we have now.    The clothing was goofy.  TV and movies were cool if you were a kid.  People didn't worry about the shit they do now.  As a child you can run free all day not have to worry about stupid shit. If anybody wore a helmet while riding a bike they would be teased something fierce.  Muscle cars were still plentiful, though the new cars sucked.  I remember it as better days.  If I could go back as a young adult I would.  I would give up my cell phone, which I hate anyways, and even my computer.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Some one brought up race relations. You did not have the tension like you do today. Black,White, Hispanic all had a similar life style. Families were just trying to give their kids a better life than they had. You didn't have this gang culture crap. Sure there were gangs but not like today. Minorities mostly worked and had fathers in their family. Most of the break down in race relations and the break down of the family unit has been caused by the government and the media promoting their agenda. People regardless of race mostly got along and had a similar life style.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 7:16:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Young people...you realise in 30-40 years they will talking about now. Look how ugly and stupid those people in 2012 looked.
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Post it!....someone.

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Post it!....someone.

Yeah, really!
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/22/2012 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#50]
74 was a good year.

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top