Page / 47
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
they shoot well at 600

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mPisi:
Congratulating myself on getting a good deal on my 5.56, and then about to order about $1500 worth of stuff for it, between optics, mount, suppressor, bipod, internals...
View Quote

Form 4 60 days, not too bad
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:06:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#3]
Minor rant on the Gen 2's aesthetics. I wonder why they couldn't do a similar forend/fluting as the PC Carbine.

-Straight Fluting looks clean, and should take less machining time. (Well maybe not. I don't know Ruger invested in.)
-They could of used part of the PC Carbine's forend for the Gen 2 Ruger American Stock. They were coming up with a new design anyways. Would it of killed them to copy/paste this design into the new molding.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

whew!
smart man
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
1. Need a .30 can
2. See a Lahar-L for $420 plus ship and tax
3. OOS
4. Realize it was 20+ oz
5. Whew, dodged a bullet
6. Resolve to save up for Diligent Enticer L-Ti

whew!
smart man

Don't you want a k-style shorty can with these rifles?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By stgdz:

View All Quotes
1. Need a .30 can
2. See a Lahar-L for $420 plus ship and tax
3. OOS
4. Realize it was 20+ oz
5. Whew, dodged a bullet
6. Resolve to save up for Diligent Enticer L-Ti

whew!
smart man

I like quiet so much that so far it has overridden my desire for short.  And it might have gone on my 8" Elf Owl so length's not an issue there.
But I am getting more and more sensitive to weight, so I might come back to shorter cans some day.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#6]

I like quiet so much that so far it has overridden my desire for short.  And it might have gone on my 8" Elf Owl so length's not an issue there.
But I am getting more and more sensitive to weight, so I might come back to shorter cans some day.
View Quote

After buying a dozen cans, my primary criteria is weight.

Sound levels are third or fourth on my list.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:
Minor rant on the Gen 2's aesthetics. I wonder why they couldn't do a similar forend/fluting as the PC Carbine.

-Straight Fluting looks clean, and should take less machining time. (Well maybe not. I don't know Ruger invested in.)
-They could of used part of the PC Carbine's forend for the Gen 2 Ruger American Stock. They were coming up with a new design anyways. Would it of killed them to copy/paste this design into the new molding.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333164/Capture_PNG-3146581.JPG
View Quote

That would have been a really nice addition
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Received my new rifle.

I need to ask a favor, can I get some bolt pics from those with higher round counts?

Any upward pressure on the bolt during cycling seems to cause a scratch/gouge. To the point it causes some binding. I'm already starting to see it happening.

The machining on this rifle is a lot better and is not razor sharp.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:26:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stgdz] [#9]
So....

I have a yhm turbo, zev kraken, sico omega 9k, and octane 45.  I primary reload 9, 45 and 223 on my progressive and single stage my 308 loads.

We really don't hunt and just hit steel and paper targets at the cabin.  I feel like I should get a 7x39 or a blackout round but I don't have any of those dies for those or setup.

Any regrets on the 223 crew, wishing they would have went 30 caliber?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:21:08 AM EDT
[#10]
So....
I have a yhm tuebo, zev kraken, sico omega 9k, and octane 45.  I primary reload 9, 45 and 223 on my progressive and single stage my 308 loads.

We really don't hunt and just hit steel and paper targets at the cabin.  I feel like I should get a 7x39 or a blackout round but I don't have any of those dies for those or setup.

View Quote

I don't know about a couple of those cans, but put the Omega 9k on the 300BLK and have fun.  Load your own subs since you're already reloading 223, it's almost all the same..
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:45:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#11]
So I just got my new rifle back from Ruger after 6 weeks...

I was watching this video for bolt disassembly. Apparently the roll pin was never installed?!

Full Disassembly and Reassembly of the Ruger Precision Rifle Bolt

I'm getting annoyed at QC. My cocking piece is missing it's roll pin.

I wonder if I should just go ahead and order the AD Arms billet version since it's already out?  

Bolt is all polished up and I was able to debur the gouge that was forming. Im wondering if I should also slightly debur the runway? Just a pass of a file should do it. I'm not sending this back and paying another transfer fee...

So far I am not impressed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad to see that Magpul is going to introduce a lightweight version of their stock for the American.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By triburst1:
Glad to see that Magpul is going to introduce a lightweight version of their stock for the American.
View Quote

For the life of me I can't figure out why Ruger hasn't offered more stock options for these.

They could sell them in their store fore $200+ and make bank.

I just don't understand buying the Hunter when the KRG exists, or why Magpul hasn't demonstrably improved the Hunter line in the face of actual competition at the lower price point.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#14]
So....

I have a yhm tuebo, zev kraken, sico omega 9k, and octane 45.  I primary reload 9, 45 and 223 on my progressive and single stage my 308 loads.

View Quote

@stgdz

No the 223/556 Ranch is a sweet rifle...easy and cheap to shoot!  just fun...

Red
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 2:17:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#15]
I found out MD Gun Repair LLC sells RAR/R Precision parts.

Ordered a couple of roll pins I was missing and a spare firing pin/spring

Just a heads up if you wanted some spares
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#16]

I was watching this video for bolt disassembly. Apparently the roll pin was never installed?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e8u3agMsfo

I wonder if I should just go ahead and order the AD Arms billet version since it's already out?  

Bolt is all polished up and I was able to debur the gouge that was forming. Im wondering if I should also slightly debur the runway? Just a pass of a file should do it. I'm not sending this back and paying another transfer fee...

View Quote

I don't think you need to do an FFL transfer to send a gun to and from the manufacture for work.  Why not just call Ruger and see what they say?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:26:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#17]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

I don't think you need to do an FFL transfer to send a gun to and from the manufacture for work.  Why not just call Ruger and see what they say?
View All Quotes

Honestly they just replaced the first one vs swapping out the bolt and doing some work/deburring. Which is great on them, I didn't pay a dime. But I just want to get my gun to the range already lmao.

They are going to send out a roll pin. Sadly I asked for the size but they did not give me that info.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Honestly they just replaced the first one vs swapping out the bolt and doing some work/deburring. Which is great on them, I didn't pay a dime. But I just want to get my gun to the range already lmao.

They are going to send out a roll pin. Sadly I asked for the size but they did not give me that info.
View All Quotes

Don't blame ya there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Had to check my new rifle was still here.
What's that cheekpiece?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Had to check my new rifle was still here.
What's that cheekpiece?
View Quote

https://victorcompanyusa.com/universal-cheekrest-kits
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Mos Tek delivered today.  7” 300 blk. 1:5 twist.

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Gr8Santini:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23396/IMG_1428-3158318.jpg
View Quote

Hell yeah! Did you send your action in?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By triburst1:
View Quote

That's good. I had their stock on my 5.56 for a while, and went back to the tupperware stock. The Magpul was just too heavy for what's supposed to be a light, handy rifle.  I actually don't mind the OEM stock. It's slim and light. I have the later version with the extra reinforcement in the forend.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Outrider:
Originally Posted By Gr8Santini:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23396/IMG_1428-3158318.jpg

I did.  Now I have the OEM 16” 300 blk barrel extra.  Lol
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone use the gemtech tracker with this?
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:48:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#28]
I polished my bolt a bit. Working my way up from a low grit to 1200 grit. I finished it off by hand with mothers polish and a rag. I did not touch the bolt lugs, I left those alone.
I also ran a file across the sharp part of the run way a few times, and polished that out gently by hand.

So far it's smooth as butter now. Still a couple of very minor scratches on the bolt. But they don't appear to be hurting anything. I deburred any raised areas.

So I was thinking about the scratching and gouging issue. Seems more likely to occur with an extended bolt knob. Due to the amount of slop the bolt has and the lever-edge. It was much harder to repeat with the OEM bolt handle.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By guns762:
Painted my 5.56 Ranch this last week.    Took it out again today.   69gr Sierra HPBT handloads are far more accurate than I could ever have hoped for.  

Love this rifle and set up.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1292/20240315_143925-3160203.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1292/20240315_143902-3160204.jpg
View Quote

I love it too!  Awesome camo
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I polished my bolt a bit. Working my way up from a low grit to 1200 grit. I finished it off by hand with mothers polish and a rag. I did not touch the bolt lugs, I left those alone.
I also ran a file across the sharp part of the run way a few times, and polished that out gently by hand.

So far it's smooth as butter now. Still a couple of very minor scratches on the bolt. But they don't appear to be hurting anything. I deburred any raised areas.

So I was thinking about the scratching and gouging issue. Seems more likely to occur with an extended bolt knob. Due to the amount of slop the bolt has and the lever-edge. It was much harder to repeat with the OEM bolt handle.
View Quote

Is it possible to show us the places you polished.  My bolt can be extremely finicky at times.  I was shooting the other day with a 30 round magazine and could barely cycle the bolt unless I was really working it hard, and I mean hard!  It seems the rounds are not sliding over each other well.  Also, once, a round was 1/2 way chambered and then would not go further and the bolt was somehow jammed, I worked the bolt so much it came out w/o me pushing the bolt release button?!  I would like to know how much nicer the Gen II's are over the Gen I bolt smoothness.

How does the bolt 'action' compare to a Tikka or Howa Mini Action?  I love the rifle but not too enamored on the action of the bolt.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:23:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#31]
Originally Posted By bmarshall1:

Is it possible to show us the places you polished.  My bolt can be extremely finicky at times.  I was shooting the other day with a 30 round magazine and could barely cycle the bolt unless I was really working it hard, and I mean hard!  It seems the rounds are not sliding over each other well.  Also, once, a round was 1/2 way chambered and then would not go further and the bolt was somehow jammed, I worked the bolt so much it came out w/o me pushing the bolt release button?!  I would like to know how much nicer the Gen II's are over the Gen I bolt smoothness.

How does the bolt 'action' compare to a Tikka or Howa Mini Action?  I love the rifle but not too enamored on the action of the bolt.
View All Quotes

Honestly this is my first centerfire bolt action.

Took these pics of the gun I sent to Ruger.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I deburred the corner circled in yellow.

Mind the glock sights. just some BUIS I was experimenting with. Seems like they clear medium height rings with the scope mounted and are also usable.

The same thing was starting to happen to the new one with the extended bolt handle. Ill get updated pics later maybe.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:35:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mPisi] [#32]
View Quote

I don't have it in my hands, but I wasn't tremendously impressed with the Howa Mini action I have.  But it may be clunky in a different way.  Everything is clunky to someone who started out with an 80-yo Enfield.

Edit:  Glock rear sight is awesome, front sight not so much...
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:40:30 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

With all my RARs I’ll oil everything then work the bolt back and forth continuously while I watch a show or movie, stopping periodically to remove everything, spray it down, wipe it, oil again, repeat. They all end up much smoother.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Painted my 5.56 Ranch this last week.    Took it out again today.   69gr Sierra HPBT handloads are far more accurate than I could ever have hoped for.  

View Quote

Very nice. Don’t set it down and turn your back on it, you might not find it again!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Got to see a gen2 today. Not bad but didn’t care for the spiral fluted barrel. Does anyone know if the stocks are backwards compatable to the gen 1s?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:10:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doc_Zox] [#36]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:34:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bmarshall1] [#37]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333164/IMG_20240114_102849982_4_jpg-3094030.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333164/IMG_20240114_102924468_jpg-3094021.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333164/IMG_20240114_103038141_2_jpg-3094018.JPG

Mind the glock sights. just some BUIS I was experimenting with. Seems like they clear medium height rings with the scope mounted and are also usable.

The same thing was starting to happen to the new one with the extended bolt handle. Ill get updated pics later maybe.
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333164/IMG_20240114_102849982_4_jpg-3094030.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333164/IMG_20240114_102924468_jpg-3094021.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333164/IMG_20240114_103038141_2_jpg-3094018.JPG

Thanks for the pix.  Mine is similar, maybe not quite as bad.  I took a knife sharpening stone and some needle files and deburred and radiused every edge I could find.  I also took the stone to any linear scratch/wear mark on the bolt (like yours) to polish it up a bit.  The zipper sound is reduced and the bolt doesn't catch on sharp edges, but still binds b/c or the sloppy tolerances allows it to.  I like the gun and would have HAPPILY paid another $25/$50 for a better designed and manufactured bolt mechanism.  I have a .223 and 300BO and they are the same.

What did Ruger do for you when you contacted them? It was not clear to me if you sent them the pix or the actual rifle, if you rec'd a new rifle was it any better?  I don't think mine's near bad enough to send in. I was also thinking about a different bolt handle but if it makes the problem worse then maybe not.

ETA @Capt_Destro
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:29:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thederrick106] [#38]
Reading the bolt scratching/ gouging posts I decided to take a closer look at my 7.62x39 and post some pics.

How many times have you guys cycled your action?

I worked the bolt on mine a couple hundred times with periodic oil.  I need to run some rounds through it and give it a good cleaning, but I can see where slamming up on this bolt could cause this.  I don't know how hard others are working the bolt, but I can feel it want to bind if I push up too hard and not forward enough.  The binding while using too much upward force is a common thing on several newer bolt action hunting rifles I have.  I don't have any high rifles, and most of my stuff is manual action that revolves around hunting.  

Probably my smoothest action is my old Remmington model 600 in 308.  I have a low-end Remmington model 700 in 30-06 that is a bit sloppier than the RAR I have.  I have a Remington model 700 in 7mm rem mag that is very smooth, but not as nice as my 600.  My Remington model 7 in 308 sits somewhere in the middle and is my primary deer rifle.  All my older guns have nicer actions, but the newer model stuff isn't bad, they just don't make them like they used to.

I could probably force a gouge into mine if I started forcing on the bolt with too much with upward force instead of working the bolt forward.  Once I get a few more hundred rounds I will report back.

The first 3 pics I took leaving the oil on the bolt as it set after me working the bolt (a lot) I then wiped the oil with my finger and took a couple more.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I am no expert just sharing my experience.  

Now to wait for my new backwoods range to dry out!  About 50 yards for normal use but I can back up to the 100 yard mark if I want.  

I only had 50 yards at another spot on my property prior, but this is a bit closer to my house and has better 4x4 vehicle access & parking...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#39]

St. Patrick’s Sales are killin me.

This one is in .300, dedicated to Subsonics, thing sounds like a suppressed .22 out my basement door.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I am guessing I might have 300 or so Cycles on the bolt. One of the first things I did was radius any Edge I could find, make sure there are no Burrs or anything of that nature. I cycled it 50 or 75 times, and went back and found any marks and Polished it a little more. The zipper sound is mostly gone, but it's pretty easy to not push straight in and have it start to bind. This is my first nice bolt action, I don't have anything to compare it to so maybe this is just normal. I don't have any gouges, or scrapes that I can catch on my fingernail. The receiver had a couple of edges I could catch with my fingernails so I radiused those as well. Next time I'm at the gun store I will grab one of the newer ones and check it out. I'm using heavy silicone grease on mine to see if that can make it any smoother.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Thanks for the pix.  Mine is similar, maybe not quite as bad.  I took a knife sharpening stone and some needle files and deburred and radiused every edge I could find.  I also took the stone to any linear scratch/wear mark on the bolt (like yours) to polish it up a bit.  The zipper sound is reduced and the bolt doesn't catch on sharp edges, but still binds b/c or the sloppy tolerances allows it to.  I like the gun and would have HAPPILY paid another $25/$50 for a better designed and manufactured bolt mechanism.  I have a .223 and 300BO and they are the same.

What did Ruger do for you when you contacted them? It was not clear to me if you sent them the pix or the actual rifle, if you rec'd a new rifle was it any better?  I don't think mine's near bad enough to send in. I was also thinking about a different bolt handle but if it makes the problem worse then maybe not.

ETA @Capt_Destro
View All Quotes

ETA @Capt_Destro

Sorry I didn't get the notification. It's hard to recommend something else for this price and ability.to take AR mags. They seem serviceable. I did give Ruger all of the info/pics.

Different topic:

Also this is my 2nd rifle, but the Magpul Stock still has some play in it if I push left or right on the barrel. I'm wondering if the barrel bedding blocks are shifting slightly in the stock. I might try shimming it before I give up on it completely.

Magpul even sent out spare blocks for me to try.. I wonder what gives.

I even had the screws torqued to about 75 in lbs.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Its possible to deflect the stock, but does torque on the stock deflect the barrel/scope system?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:55:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#43]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
Its possible to deflect the stock, but does torque on the stock deflect the barrel/scope system?
View Quote

It shouldnt effect zero.

It's just annoying that I paid $280 for this stock, and I can't replicate it with the cheap stock Ruger ships with the gun.

Also in regards to deflection, I'm used to the barrel returning back to its original position. I think an easy fix is adding some material/bedding compound to the chassis itself so that I have to tap the barrel blocks into it with a mallet. I'm thinking that is where the movement is coming from.

Otherwise the blocks just drop right in and can fall out. I believe Ruger bedded theirs into the stock.

Easy enough to test out with shims or some metal tape.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Need to get the forearm cut down.

Ugliest gun ever.  Lol
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:28:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#46]
Update, looks like I tightened things up a bit. The screws they had on the sides/under the grip panels were some what under torqued.Might be possible the aluminum chassis was moving slightly Inside of the polymer stock.

Also one thing I noticed. Magpuls bedding blocks are not as wide as the ones Ruger uses. Seems like the Ruger blocks have more surface area engagement.

I might try shimming the inside of the chassis to have a tighter fit in the receiver overall
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Camouflaging a rifle seems so simple in concept but the results I see online are very rarely pleasing. Perhaps one out of every twenty paint jobs impresses me and I don’t feel bad saying that because I couldn’t do a good job if my life depended upon it. The rifles you have painted are a notable exception to the rule.

Over the years I have been impressed with the simple beauty of each and every example you have posted. And I say that as a lifelong collector of military camouflage uniforms with a very large and diverse collection.

I know that you have posted a couple of how-to threads on your sponge painting techniques but I hope you will consider posting more along those lines.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Escape_from_NY:

Camouflaging a rifle seems so simple in concept but the results I see online are very rarely pleasing. Perhaps one out of every twenty paint jobs impresses me and I don’t feel bad saying that because I couldn’t do a good job if my life depended upon it. The rifles you have painted are a notable exception to the rule.

Over the years I have been impressed with the simple beauty of each and every example you have posted. And I say that as a lifelong collector of military camouflage uniforms with a very large and diverse collection.

I know that you have posted a couple of how-to threads on your sponge painting techniques but I hope you will consider posting more along those lines.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Escape_from_NY:

I have not seen any of your other posts, but I will say the paint job on that rifle is exceptional.  Much envy.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:01:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 47
Ruger American Ranch (Page 44 of 47)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top