Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I ate the lentil stew and the shortbread cookie. I stuck the pouch in my portable
oven for about 20 minutes, opened the pouch,couple squirts of hot sauce let it cool down for a bit. Pretty good, much better than the MRE I had years ago. I will eat
the other entree later when I get hungry again.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Smokehouse_83:

So we are looking at 2ish years then they are junk?  Probably why they are cheap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Smokehouse_83:
Originally Posted By lokifox:

I would observe the 5 year rule if possible.

You can deep freeze them and they'll last indefinitely but the texture of the mains will go to shit.

So we are looking at 2ish years then they are junk?  Probably why they are cheap.

Based on watching Steve1989 and storing them in a cool dry place I bet at least a few years beyond 5 years
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#3]
2021 HDR Humanitarian Daily Ration Menu 1 & 2 Review 24 Hour MRE Tasting Test

mresteve rockin' this t-shirt:

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks great, I'll eat it.

To think, the gaza shits are whining about this food.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
That looks great, I'll eat it.

To think, the gaza shits are whining about this food.
View Quote

There's literally one video about this, and the dude didn't even live in Gaza. Just saying.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Richard-ar15:

I don't add water because I like it stewy and I only ever eat the rations out of the pouches. You've got a nice long spoon for it.

MRE Steve started the whole thing with spreading them out on a mess tray because he is showing an audience what they look like. I can see no reason to get a tray or a plate dirty if it's just me eating it.

Every ration hound should have a bunch of extra heaters saved up, but you can heat the retort pouches up quickly by dropping them in some boiling water.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:

They are really really thick. You can eat em straight out of the pouch.

I don't add water because I like it stewy and I only ever eat the rations out of the pouches. You've got a nice long spoon for it.

MRE Steve started the whole thing with spreading them out on a mess tray because he is showing an audience what they look like. I can see no reason to get a tray or a plate dirty if it's just me eating it.

Every ration hound should have a bunch of extra heaters saved up, but you can heat the retort pouches up quickly by dropping them in some boiling water.

I'm an animal. Have no problem cutting the corner off and squeezing out bites as I walk.

Familiar with power gels that get really interesting sucking them out of the package at 25f degrees and cliff bars that become a challenge to get down at the same temp.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#7]
For those of you who bought multiple cases don't expect to get a variety of main meals.

I personally think the reason they are selling them cheap is due to them not being packed correctly. We purchased 5 cases last year and have gone through two of them so far; it doesn't seem to matter what meal number the pouch says all of them are either rice with veggies, peas in tomato soup, lentil stew, or barley stew.

I have seen none of the other main meals that they suppposedly have, even though the outer bags have all had different numbers on them.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Omni:
For those of you who bought multiple cases don't expect to get a variety of main meals.

I personally think the reason they are selling them cheap is due to them not being packed correctly. We purchased 5 cases last year and have gone through two of them so far; it doesn't seem to matter what meal number the pouch says all of them are either rice with veggies, peas in tomato soup, lentil stew, or barley stew.

I have seen none of the other main meals that they suppposedly have, even though the outer bags have all had different numbers on them.

View Quote

if you were to buy an entire pallet i'm sure it'd be the same difference

a different pallet somewhere else will have different menus, it is what it is

$35 shippped, dude.  i shipped a 5lbs 4oz 18x12x7 box today via priority mail and it cost me 30 american fucking dollars
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Ordered a couple of cases, going to be a bit disappointing if SHTF never happens!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#10]

I'm an animal. Have no problem cutting the corner off and squeezing out bites as I walk.

Familiar with power gels that get really interesting sucking them out of the package at 25f degrees and cliff bars that become a challenge to get down at the same temp.
View All Quotes

Throw them inside your armor for a half hour
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Like a saddle steak but slightly less disgusting.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#12]
This thread also made me want to open one this weekend. Here is how to prepare them spicy using only what is in the ration.

First boil the pepper flakes into tea/extract. see how red the water gets. tender tummy beware
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

the consistency seems about like campbells condensed soup
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 56xdx_Z:

View All Quotes

Yeah. About like the bean with bacon. Their directions is usually " add one can of water to the can of soup" which is a little too runny for me except if you're on a winter outing and need the fluids and warmth anyway. That's a tried and true method for hundreds if not thousands of years.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#15]
This thread also made me want to open one this weekend. Here is how to prepare them spicy using only what is in the ration.

First boil the pepper flakes into tea/extract. see how red the water gets. tender tummy beware
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/586072/soup1_jpg-3206040.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/586072/soup2_jpg-3206041.JPG
View Quote

Nice.

The red pepper is almost a must with them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I've eaten many ten year old MREs and haven't gotten sick, but I will warn you that a steady diet of MREs long term (over a year) will permanently fuck up your guts.

I have a bazillion MRE heaters, and not sure what to do with them but I will say that is the ONE thing that HDRs are lacking.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Wife and I tried a couple humrats.  The main units were tasty as were the cookies. The pop tart sucked ass. IMO too much sugar substituted for main units.  
All in all a good deal for the price
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I got several cases with 2022 inspection dates back in late 2022.  They take up a significant amount of space in my gear room, but they are cheap insurance a and a good supplement to your normal everyday rotation of food stuffs. Combine with a few buckets of mountain house and good to go for most emergency situations any of us would face.

They are decent for the price in my opinion.  Just said fuck it and ordered two more cases with 2023 inspection dates.

Between a couple older cases of regular style MRE and these I need to start taking them camping with me
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
Ordered a couple of cases, going to be a bit disappointing if SHTF never happens!
View Quote

Yeah I’m going to start eating mine up in 3-4 years if it doesn’t come.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#20]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/586072/soup1_jpg-3206040.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/586072/soup2_jpg-3206041.JPG
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:22:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1975] [#21]
Anyone who ordered the HDRs in the OP get theirs yet? My first order came within three days but the second order is stuck on “shipping label created”.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:23:19 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

No, that sounds correct. Were your cases packed by Sopakco?

Each of the 3 manufacturers only have 4 or 5 different mains and the numbered menus are each some combination of two of those along with (usually) an identical set of side items.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:54:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glklvr] [#23]
Originally Posted By m1awolf:
Funny,I don't remember ever giving any gifts of food to other countries...
View Quote

"A gift of food from the United States government paid for by mortgaging the future of our citizens and their descendants, against their will" wouldn't fit on the packaging.

What I wouldn't give for a good ole Pork with Rice in BBQ Sauce with a chocolate covered oatmeal cookie.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By glklvr:

"A gift of food from the United States government paid for by mortgaging the future of our citizens and their descendants, against their will" wouldn't fit on the packaging.

What I wouldn't give for a good ole Pork with Rice in BBQ Sauce with a chocolate covered oatmeal cookie.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m1awolf:
Funny,I don't remember ever giving any gifts of food to other countries...

Gorilla cookies are the best thing ever put in an MRE.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Just ate a regular MRE with 2018 inspection date for lunch today.  Everything was edible and I enjoyed it.  

Attachment Attached File

So if they have a 2018 inspection date that makes them born around 2015?  So a 9 or 10 year old MRE?

Attachment Attached File

Brought both the regular MRE and humanitarian ration...  Decided to go for the older MRE today.  I have enough that I need to use a few up.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
so you're saying that for each menu option you've gotten "B" from the list here?

Menu 1 - Variation [random] of the following:

a. Bean Salad, Brown & Wild Rice with Lentils: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
b. Barley Stew, Lentil Stew: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
c. Beans & Rice in Tomato Sauce, Herb Rice: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack

Menu 2 - Variation [random] of the following:

a. Bean Salad, Rice & Beans: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
b. Barley Stew, Peas in Tomato Sauce: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
c. Red Beans & Rice, Yellow Rice: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack

Menu 3 - Variation [random] of the following:

a. Bean Salad, Lentils & Vegetables: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
b. Barley Stew, Rice & Vegetables in Sauce: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
c. Lentil Stew, Herb Rice: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack

Menu 4 - Variation [random] of the following:

a. Beans with Potatoes, Brown & Wild Rice with Lentils: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
b. Rice & Vegetables with Sauce, Peas in Tomato Sauce: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
c. Pasta in Tomato Sauce, Yellow Rice: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack

Menu 5 - Variation [random] of the following:

a. Lentils & Vegetables, Beans with Potatoes: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
b. Lentil Stew, Peas in Tomato Sauce: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
c. Lentil Stew, Red Beans & Rice: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
Please Note: Menu contents are subject to substitution, removal and/or change by the manufacturer.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:
Just ate a regular MRE with 2018 inspection date for lunch today.  Everything was edible and I enjoyed it.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/440733798_646319997674626_44157345699301-3207978.JPG

So if they have a 2018 inspection date that makes them born around 2015?  So a 9 or 10 year old MRE?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/440696293_1194193581566395_8777114644930-3207980.JPG

Brought both the regular MRE and humanitarian ration...  Decided to go for the older MRE today.  I have enough that I need to use a few up.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/441017387_1855840558264731_1159847061338-3207982.JPG

View Quote

Those Reeses have to be pretty stale.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 1975:
Anyone who ordered the HDRs in the OP get theirs yet? My first order came within three days but the second order is stuck on “shipping label created”.
View Quote

I just got my first 2 in today!
1 more coming Thursday.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:33:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MilHouse-556] [#30]
For whatever reason I've got into watching MRE videos from Steve1989 and Me Ancient recently.

My wife is actually into them as well. I had some thoughts of going camping for night or so and bringing some MREs along to add to the fun.

It looks like the best deal is $11 per on some actual MREs with FRHs? How can this be right?

Basically $130 for 12 meals. Seems ridiculous.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:
For whatever reason I've got into watching MRE from Steve1989 and Me Ancient recently.

My wife is actually into them as well. I had some thoughts of going camping for night or so and bringing some MREs along to add to the fun.

It looks like the best deal is $11 per on some actual MREs with FRHs? How can this be right?

View Quote
inflation is a bitch, my dude.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#32]
The lentil stew was good but the pasta with beans and tomato sauce sucked. Strawberry poptart had weird crunchy chunks in it and tasted like ass. fig bar was alright.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
For whatever reason I've got into watching MRE from Steve1989 and Me Ancient recently.

The key to this is randomly finding some AD dude slangin' Menu A and B cases on OfferUp LOL

I bought 4-5 cases and felt dirty as fuck until he told me some stud prepper bought 100+ cases from him
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Scalped:

The key to this is randomly finding some AD dude slangin' Menu A and B cases on OfferUp LOL

I bought 4-5 cases and felt dirty as fuck until he told me some stud prepper bought 100+ cases from him
View Quote
no good deals like that in my AO, big shooter.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Kidnap_44:

1 more coming Thursday.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kidnap_44:

1 more coming Thursday.

Nice! If you eat one and disappear, we’ll tell the world of your sacrifice!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#36]
For whatever reason I've got into watching MRE videos from Steve1989 and Me Ancient recently.

View Quote

steve1989 transcends ordinary video entertainment, my 6 year old will sit and watch steve

seems to be a genuinely nice guy but he's in his own world and on his own time.  was having a conversation with him one minute and i haven't heard from him in a year now.  ought to write him a real life go through the mail letter since that's the only address i have for him and ask him where the hell he went.  he's not dead, there's been new videos released...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
so you're saying that for each menu option you've gotten "B" from the list here?

Menu 1 - Variation [random] of the following:

a. Bean Salad, Brown & Wild Rice with Lentils: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
b. Barley Stew, Lentil Stew: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
c. Beans & Rice in Tomato Sauce, Herb Rice: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack

Menu 2 - Variation [random] of the following:

a. Bean Salad, Rice & Beans: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
b. Barley Stew, Peas in Tomato Sauce: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
c. Red Beans & Rice, Yellow Rice: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack

Menu 3 - Variation [random] of the following:

a. Bean Salad, Lentils & Vegetables: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
b. Barley Stew, Rice & Vegetables in Sauce: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
c. Lentil Stew, Herb Rice: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack

Menu 4 - Variation [random] of the following:

a. Beans with Potatoes, Brown & Wild Rice with Lentils: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
b. Rice & Vegetables with Sauce, Peas in Tomato Sauce: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
c. Pasta in Tomato Sauce, Yellow Rice: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack

Menu 5 - Variation [random] of the following:

a. Lentils & Vegetables, Beans with Potatoes: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
b. Lentil Stew, Peas in Tomato Sauce: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
c. Lentil Stew, Red Beans & Rice: Includes Crackers, Peanut Butter, Jam, Pastries, Cookies and Accessory Pack
Please Note: Menu contents are subject to substitution, removal and/or change by the manufacturer.

View Quote

Yep, from looking at what you posted I have got the "B" option from every menu only.

We have opened 18 pouches so far and I am hoping that the next case will add some of the other mains. I would like the potatoes and other rice options, its going to be a long haul if my other three cases are all "B" options also.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/440733798_646319997674626_44157345699301-3207978.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/440696293_1194193581566395_8777114644930-3207980.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/441017387_1855840558264731_1159847061338-3207982.JPG

They were not stale and surprisingly good.  I have a couple more boxes with similar inspection dates.  Probably time to start using them on occasion.  The humanitarian rations should be fine for the next few years for emergency standby.  I don't see myself replacing the older regular MREs as I use them because of current prices.  I always liked having a couple boxes on hand for a quick grab and go option.  Last time I bought an A+B it calculated out to about $4.50 each shipped.  Not paying current asking price for what they are.

I am one of those who actually enjoys them on occasion so I would rather use them up while they are still usable.  I would probably feel differently about them if I had to live on them for any period of time like many here have.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:31:17 AM EDT
[#39]
I guess I would rather use them within the best by date, and replace them. You're not saving money letting them go bad. They aren't bad either. These aren't C rations or anything like that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

I think they should get here today, looking at tracking
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Equestrian:

I think they should get here today, looking at tracking
View Quote

When did you get a tracking email.  I haven’t even received an email receipt yet?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#43]
I think two of them might equal an average American Thanksgiving dinner.
View Quote

We sent off a couple of "dancing bears" (old AF name for the fat boy program, when they forced them to go to an aerobics class) to the desert, to a bare-bones location that, at the time, was MRE only. The MREs weren't rationed, and these dumb fucks were apparently going through three and four a day, at 1,300 calories each. That didn't work out so well.

I think the longest I had to live on them was three weeks. They'll do some strange stuff to your bowels.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#44]
The six cases that I got from Amazon arrived yesterday. They had an 8-23 inspection date. The temp stickers were good as well. Not bad for under $200 delivered.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I have one of the yellow ones that I brought home from Iraq as a souvenir.  I had no idea you could buy them on the retail market.

Interesting...
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By FistPeso:

When did you get a tracking email.  I haven’t even received an email receipt yet?
View Quote
You should have at least received a receipt/order confirmation. I would email them if the purchase went through and you didn't.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#47]
I want that shirt!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Got my case on Monday.

The blackeyed peas in tomato sauce is really good with salt and some hot sauce. The barley stew was hard to get down. It's super thick and gloopy. The shortbread cookie tastes like sawdust but the peanut butter, jam and crackers are ok

Going to order a case off Amazon to see if the menu options are different
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Osprey61:

We sent off a couple of "dancing bears" (old AF name for the fat boy program, when they forced them to go to an aerobics class) to the desert, to a bare-bones location that, at the time, was MRE only. The MREs weren't rationed, and these dumb fucks were apparently going through three and four a day, at 1,300 calories each. That didn't work out so well.

I think the longest I had to live on them was three weeks. They'll do some strange stuff to your bowels.
View Quote

I've always wondered why they don't put Metamucil in them. A good fiber intake is very healthy and generally makes people perform better when they're not constipated which is an absolute miserable feeling.

Have your butthole roto-rooted once and fiber will become your religion. Guaranteed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#50]

I want that shirt!
View Quote
#metoo
Page / 8
Top Top