Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I got bit by those bastards 7 times behind my legs last year cutting the lawn.  Hurts like hell.  After dark I poured cat clumping litter down the hole.  The really fine shit that goes into everything.  Then I watered it down really well and it sealed up those bastages.  They are not back this year.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I always wait for night fall when they are all in the hive and then strike off a road flare and shove it down their hole. The crackling is rewarding.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got bit by those bastards 7 times behind my legs last year cutting the lawn.  Hurts like hell.  After dark I poured cat clumping litter down the hole.  The really fine shit that goes into everything.  Then I watered it down really well and it sealed up those bastages.  They are not back this year.
View Quote

They do not come back to the same hole unless you live in a climate that doesn't get cold enough to kill the nest in the winter.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I always wait for night fall when they are all in the hive and then strike off a road flare and shove it down their hole. The crackling is rewarding.
View Quote

The last nest I found was discovered while I was pushmowing. They stung me 4 or 5 times before i realized what was happening. I came back, dropped the mower down low over their hole and mulched them for a while. I then stomped their hole in. It actually worked, I never saw them again.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The last nest I found was discovered while I was pushmowing. They stung me 4 or 5 times before i realized what was happening. I came back, dropped the mower down low over their hole and mulched them for a while. I then stomped their hole in. It actually worked, I never saw them again.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/XXec7zBaPxA
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#6]
When we were kids we used all kinds of shit to get rid of hornets nests.  Gun powder, various home made devices, bb guns, shot guns, gas, flaming arrows.  I was the only one who never got stung.  Since then I've still been lucky but have been nailed by the fuckers three separate times, all when mowing.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/XXec7zBaPxA
Haha!! That was freaking great!!

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, yellowjackets. The last two nests I found, I put on my beekeeping kit, and went out with one of those huge propane torches and let them have it, killing everything that tried to enter or exit the main hole and burning up their oxygen.
If the nest is big, watch out for alternate entrances nearby.
The advantage of the pyrex bowl trick is that they won't dig a new entrance/exit if there still appears to be a valid exit. Crush their hole, and they'll either dig a new one or evacuate the original.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag, for curiosity's sake
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tag, for curiosity's sake
View Quote

Same, but I'm just leaving the tab open like a free loader
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Please torture them....

I dont remember how many times i got stung as a kid just from stepping on the wrong spot walking in a field.....but it was 1 too many!

ETA....  Please detail the torture method
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

<- my "standing in awe" face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ground nesting paper wasps.  Not bees, these are hunters as the hive is a nursery.

Go ahead and kill them all.  I've run acetylene through activated carbon to deodorize it, carefully filling the nest cavity with this gas.  Used an electric initiator once the gas tube is removed.

This is an earth-shattering kaboom, completely destroying the hive.

You need a You Tube channel.
Yeah he does

<- my "standing in awe" face.

That's me right behind you. Keith, I'd pay good money to watch your channel.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, OP hasn't posted in about 2 hours.  Is he dead?

ETA:  Dibs on guns and ammo if so.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was thinking about this also.  
Maybe the bees went full Sauron on him.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:05:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Had an old rotten stump out back with a hive under it.
Dog got stung, wife got stung, I got stung.
So
I take two 3 1/2 gallon gas cans to the gas station.
Filled one with 2 gallons of Diesel and a gallon and a half of gasoline.
Filled the other with 2 gallons of kerosine and a gallon and a half of gasoline.
Wait till dark.
Pour both cans down the hole.
Throw a lit sparkler at the hole.
WOOMP
As I recall it burned for a couple of days.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:21:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Man up and smack the hive with a weed eater.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:43:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You had better luck than I did with this method.  All I got was a bunch of pissed off yellow jackets and a mower I couldn't move for a day or two.

I eventually just went to Wal-Mart and got a can of wasp spray and let loose on the entrance to the nest.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 3:27:25 AM EDT
[#18]
When I was a kid my dad, uncle, and cousins and I were putting up no trespassing signs around our property and got attacked by a bunch of yellow jackets.  My dad tried to evade them by jumping in the middle of a thick bush.  Didn't work too well because he was flailing away at them with the hammer he had for pounding nails in putting up signs.  His tactics were even worse for uncle Joe, he took a blow to the head from dad's hammer swinging when he tried to join him in the bush.  When we had cleared the onslaught from the bees my cousins and I tried not to laugh when it was explained to us why uncle Joe had blood all over his face from the blow to his forehead.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 3:33:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nah, the pic with my foot on the bowl and them swarming inside was the victory shot. In shorts too.

It is raining now so they aren't really trying to go out. I'll post later when they are active and getting pissed.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 3:36:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh yeah, one thing about this - EVERYONE has to know not to kick that bowl over or it can get really ugly involving hospitals and stuff.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 3:59:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I had those little black bastards get me this spring. got bit or stung 4 or 5 times before i knew what happened. I rolled out never to return
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:05:44 AM EDT
[#22]
So you just put them under the dome?

Where is the blood, the gore? 'Murica!
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:12:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:12:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So you just put them under the dome?

Where is the blood, the gore? 'Murica!
View Quote

This gets really ugly - you'll see. This is not my first rodeo with these punks.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:16:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Only in GD are all stinging insects called bees.  

Yellow jackets is what you have and they are nasty aggressive hornet that lives in the ground. (as opposed to a similar looking but equally nasty different variety that make a round nest on the side of a barn or in a bush or tree.)  Then there are blackjackets, which also live in the ground and look like yellowjackets only they are black and white.  Not as aggressive and from my experience the nests are usually smaller than yellowjackets nests are. Don't confuse blackjackets with Bald faced/ white faced hornets though.  They are also black and white but make roundish nests in trees and on buildings.  They are in some ways less aggressive than yellowjackets are but like the guy said earlier, don't fuck with them unless you know you can get away.  Their sting is harder and the whole fucking nest will chase you for a long ways if you fuck with them.  Then there are European Hornets.  They are rare but holy shit they are big.  They are also the only ones that are fully active 24/7 so night attacks on them won't help you.
View Quote

Thanks for clearing that up.

I got nailed by those round nest dickheads trying to get through a rhododendron thicket with a pack on - I knocked their nest down then got stuck.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:20:04 AM EDT
[#26]
this has potential
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:23:26 AM EDT
[#27]
In, I hate those sumbitches.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:26:54 AM EDT
[#28]
In for the barbaric carnage.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:28:23 AM EDT
[#29]
OP, Harvster set the bee killing bar high. You better deliver.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:28:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I got nailed by those round nest dickheads trying to get through a rhododendron thicket with a pack on - I knocked their nest down then got stuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yellow jackets is what you have and they are nasty aggressive hornet that lives in the ground. (as opposed to a similar looking but equally nasty different variety that make a round nest on the side of a barn or in a bush or tree.)  Then there are blackjackets, which also live in the ground and look like yellowjackets only they are black and white.  Not as aggressive and from my experience the nests are usually smaller than yellowjackets nests are. Don't confuse blackjackets with Bald faced/ white faced hornets though.  They are also black and white but make roundish nests in trees and on buildings.  They are in some ways less aggressive than yellowjackets are but like the guy said earlier, don't fuck with them unless you know you can get away.  Their sting is harder and the whole fucking nest will chase you for a long ways if you fuck with them.  Then there are European Hornets.  They are rare but holy shit they are big.  They are also the only ones that are fully active 24/7 so night attacks on them won't help you.

I'm surprised that nobody has referred to them as wasps?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:34:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Never heard a yellow jacket called a ground bee. But yeah, they're horrible creatures.
View Quote

this...  wasps are not bee's...
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:34:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ground nesting paper wasps.  Not bees, these are hunters as the hive is a nursery.

Go ahead and kill them all.  I've run acetylene through activated carbon to deodorize it, carefully filling the nest cavity with this gas.  Used an electric initiator once the gas tube is removed.

This is an earth-shattering kaboom, completely destroying the hive.

View Quote

Keith_J never fails to deliver.

After you become an evil mad scientist and take over the world, we'll all look back on these special little moments and reflect on your humble beginnings.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:37:26 AM EDT
[#33]
OP need to capture them and brainwash them into doing his bidding.  He would become a legend.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:39:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Keith_J has the best idea so far, but you get an honorable mention for originality. How many cats did you use to plug up the hole?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:56:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:10:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Man up and smack the hive with a weed eater.
View Quote

Been there, done that.
Was in tall grass and I weed-ate the entrance hole without knowing it was there.  Got nailed only once somehow and when I stepped back from the area there was a 15 foot high tornado of yellow jackets poring around the hole.  How I got stung only once was amazing to me.
BTW, in general, yellowjackets swarm to protect the hive so they are less likely to chase than bald faced hornets are.  They swarm around the nest.  After I got stung in the above situation I could just stand there only about 10 feet away and they did not bother me again.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:17:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Is someone taking orders for coffee?  Boring as he'll here and I may fall asleep ;)

kaboom.  There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:21:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:24:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

On a smartphone but I'll link when I get to a laptop. He took the road flare route.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:24:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Just throw some sevin dust down/around the hole. They'll be dead in a day.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:27:11 AM EDT
[#41]

Be advised, the nests I've had dealings with all had night guards posted at both ends.  You must work fast.  

Splash gas on guards for a quick takedown, it will give you time to attach the entrance. You have five seconds before the reenforcements arrive.

Brick on exit hole.  Gasoline down entrance hole.

Retreat to safe distance.  Wait five minutes and check the hole with a flashlight for movement.

Drink a well-deserved beer and toast to success.  Or call 911.   Whichever is indicated.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:29:55 AM EDT
[#42]
We are top of the food chain folks...you are worried about a few 6 legged winged devils.

1st of all you need to get a riding lawn mower no matter how little grass you have. Right away that will give you an advantage over these devils. I mean how little do you mow your grass if you give them time to build a nest from one mowing to the next?

2nd you are the one who can goto Walmart and buy the can of foaming bee killer.  You should always have at least one can on hand.

Lastly..you are the one in this war who controls fire.

Superior intellect, higher power weapons and the stealth of night should be plenty of an advantage to destroy this enemy. Man up...don't where daisy dukes while cutting your grass and destroy everything with wings around the house.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:35:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Great job OP. I have been telling people to use the glass bowl for years. No one believes it until they see it.

For those who want them to suffer, OP has nailed it. You can thump on the bowl and they go ape shit crazy trying to get you, but all they are really doing is wearing themselves out, and you get to watch it.

I did this once, and the whole ground inside the bowl was littered with dead or dying yellow jackets. I came back the next day and they were gone. I don't know if they are actually so civilized as to bury their dead or if they are savage canabals, but either way it was a very effective way to kill a whole colony.

Great job OP.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:50:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  There are quite a few books and websites that incorrectly label yellowjackets as wasps.  They not wasps - they are hornets.  The body shape is slightly different than a wasp.  Most wasps are far less aggressive and make small open nests under eves of buildings or are solitary creatures that make small mud nests.  Most wasps are brownish or all black in color.  Some varieties have strips and look somewhat like yellowjackets but have a longer thinner looking butt.

Here is the type of paper wasp we have around here but there are many variations and color/ pattern differences around the  US.

Yellowjacket, or similar above ground round nest hornet.  (It is interesting that only the ground nesting variety is technically called a yellowjacket.  Not sure why as they are almost exactly the same in appearance.)

Ground nesting blackjacket.

Bald faced/ White faced hornet.  Above ground round nest.  Do not fuck with.  You will have to out run them for a long distance.

These bastards are European Hornets and are up to 1-3/4" long.  Somewhat rare in the US but don't fuck with them and they are fully active at night so they own the night, not you.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:52:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Park a Scag on top of the nest for a few minutes and watch the pieces fly.  It's strangely gratifying.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:53:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'd go with soap water.  Thats how I killed the nest that was on my patio.
View Quote

This.

I don't know why people bother with anything else. My cousin and I, at our grandmothers behest, used to kill thier nests all the time with super soakers filed with soapy water.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:58:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Admire pro watered in 2".

No Hornets, no beetle grubs, no damn ants, no drama.

Done.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:59:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:Going Sauron on Ground Bees
View Quote

You do realize that Sauron lost, right?  
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:02:35 AM EDT
[#49]
I stepped on a yellow jacket nest on my pistol range and got stung on the shin.
I then emptied my .22 pistol into the nest.
When they came swarming out, I retreated back to my truck and got reinforcements.

Loaded the 12 gauge with birdshot and came back to the nest.
Fired a shot into the entrance and then blasted all the yellow jackets that flew out until the shotgun was empty.
Retreat, reload, and repeat.
Several times.

"We fired our guns and the wasps kept a'comin.
There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.
 We fired some more and they kept a dying,
 Back to hell as they fell into the hole."
        - from The Battle of New Orleans by Johnny Horton

Finally, not so many came out.
Changed out the shotgun for the .30 cal for more penetration..
Blasted the hole, collapsing the nest.
Never saw another yellow jacket there.

Lots more expensive than using wasp spray, but way more satisfying.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:05:47 AM EDT
[#50]
eck, i hate those winged cunts
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top