User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/9/2005 2:22:04 PM EDT
New Orleans Police taped in beating

New Orleans Police Beating Caught on Tape

By MARY FOSTER, Associated Press Writer 16 minutes ago

NEW ORLEANS - Two New Orleans police officers repeatedly punched a 64-year-old man accused of public intoxication, and another city officer assaulted an Associated Press Television News producer as a cameraman taped the confrontations.
ADVERTISEMENT

There will be a criminal investigation, and the three officers were to be suspended, arrested and charged with simple battery Sunday, Capt. Marlon Defillo said.

"We have great concern with what we saw this morning," Defillo said after he and about a dozen other high-ranking police department officials watched the APTN footage Sunday. "It's a troubling tape, no doubt about it. ... This department will take immediate action."

The assaults come as the department, long plagued by allegations of brutality and corruption, struggles with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and the resignation last month of Police Superintendent Eddie Compass.

The APTN tape shows an officer hitting the man at least four times in the head Saturday night as he stood outside a bar near Bourbon Street. The suspect, Robert Davis, appeared to resist, twisting and flailing as he was dragged to the ground by four officers. Another of the four officers then kneed Davis and punched him twice. Davis was face-down on the sidewalk with blood streaming down his arm and into the gutter.

Meanwhile, a fifth officer ordered APTN producer Rich Matthews and the cameraman to stop recording. When Matthews held up his credentials and explained he was working, the officer grabbed the producer, leaned him backward over a car, jabbed him in the stomach and unleashed a profanity-laced tirade.

"I've been here for six weeks trying to keep ... alive. ... Go home!" shouted the officer, who later identified himself as S.M. Smith.

Police said Davis, 64, of New Orleans, was booked on public intoxication, resisting arrest, battery on a police officer and public intimidation. He was treated at a hospital and released into police custody.

A mug shot of Davis, provided by a jailer, showed him with his right eye swollen shut, an apparent abrasion on the left side of his neck and a cut on his right temple.

"The incidents taped by our cameraman are extremely troubling," said Mike Silverman, AP's managing editor. "We are heartened that the police department is taking them seriously and promising a thorough investigation."

Davis, who is black, was subdued at the intersection of Conti and Bourbon streets. Three of the officers appeared to be white, and the other is light skinned. The officer who hit Matthews is white. Defillo said race was not an issue.

Three of the five officers — including Smith — are New Orleans officers, and two others appeared to be federal officers. Numerous agencies have sent police to help with patrols in the aftermath of Katrina.

Under normal circumstances, it takes unusually offensive behavior to trigger an arrest on Bourbon Street. But New Orleans police have been working under stressful conditions since the hurricane.

Officers slept in their cars and worked 24-hour shifts after the storm. Three-quarters lost their homes and their families are scattered across the country.

"Our police officers are working under some very trying times," Defillo said. "So it's a difficult time, but it doesn't excuse what our jobs are supposed to be."

Many officers deserted their posts in the days after Katrina, and some were accused of joining in the looting that broke out. At least two committed suicide.

Conditions have improved — officers now have beds on a cruise ship — but they don't have private rooms and are still working five, 12-hour days.

Compass, the police superintendent, resigned Sept. 27. Despite more than 10 years of reform efforts dating to before he took office, police were dogged by allegations of brutality and corruption.

On Friday, state authorities said they were investigating allegations that New Orleans police broke into a dealership and made off with nearly 200 cars — including 41 new Cadillacs — as the storm closed in.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like some jobs just opened up at the NOPD.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Should see the video of these JBTs.  They were major pissed when they found a news crew on scene.  The one cop threated the producer and grabbed him by the shirt.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Despite more than 70 years.. police were dogged by allegations of brutality and corruption.

Fixed it
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Just saw the pictures on the news over here.  Usual story... a few dumb cops who couldnt control themselves and cameras in the right place at the wrong time.

They might be under pressure due to the situation, but I dont think thats going to help them in Court at all.  No sympathy for them at all.

(And thats coming from a former cop, before you all start)
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Should see the video of these JBTs.  They were major pissed when they found a news crew on scene.  The one cop threated the producer and grabbed him by the shirt.

Just found it
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
On Friday, state authorities said they were investigating allegations that New Orleans police broke into a dealership and made off with nearly 200 cars — including 41 new Cadillacs — as the storm closed in.

but did they make it home to their families safely?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn!

That is some true JBTing in that video. I hope they lose their jobs.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#10]
What's a little "streetside justice" amongst neighbors?  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just found it

They've been showing it all day on Fox News cable channel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#12]
corruption and misused force within the NOLA PD i can't belive it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#13]
had the producer shot that over agressive asshole cop, I wouldn't convict.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#14]
You know part of me thinks that that is over the line but then there is part of me that things that if the guy had done what he was told the first time and would have quit figting them it would have all been over.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You know part of me thinks that that is over the line but then there is part of me that things that if the guy had done what he was told the first time and would have quit figting them it would have all been over.  

even so, nothing justifys that cop grabbing that reporter. nothing at all.

kind of glad he won't be a cop much longer, unless they as usual cover for their bad cops in NOLA.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#16]
The one who grabbed the producer should be hanged. That's an incredible degree of arrogance on display - enough to warrant execution. The shitburger on the horse trying to block the camera needs to go to jail as an accomplice to the original beating.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Hell looked like the old episodes of COPS they show on Court TV to me I guess he could sue the city but it appears they are bankrupt.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

kind of glad he won't be a cop much longer, unless they as usual cover for their bad cops in NOLA.

100% Agreed, the reporter should have Fox maced him.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

would the producer have been justified in shooting that cop?

ETA: not that the other cops would probably kill him, But would he have been justified to shoot?

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#20]
American's tax dollars at work.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Too bad the old man didn't have a dog with him???????????    
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA: not that the other cops would probably kill him, But would he have been justified to shoot?

Nope, that was a 'no shoot'.  The Cop was being aggressive but not to the point of striking him, hence the mace.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, that was a 'no shoot'.  The Cop was being aggressive but not to the point of striking him, hence the mace.  

that guy was 3 times the producers size, other person attacking had a gun, placed both hands on him and drove him back into the car screaming incoherantly.?

I feared for my life.

still no?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't have a problem with the punches during the arrest. He was resisting the arrest. The officer who grabbed the producer was out of line.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#25]
It'll be nice when the charges get filed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Still nope, mace him if that doesn't take then pop him but I would still not just shoot the guy.  The mind set of just shooting someone, whether cop or not, if you don't want to be bubba's fresh meat, you better make sure that shooting was your only alternative.  I think most situations can be resolved with the proper application of OC.  Also, in this situation the reporter was being an antagonist, he was told not to be there or film and he didn't listen just like the guy getting the beat down.  When a cop tells you to do something like leave, whether he is right or wrong, you should do it.  If you do get a beat down, you will be in the wrong and the law is on their side.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#27]
tag to see the vid when I get home
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
It'll be nice when the charges get filed.

Resisting arrest? or just a drunk with four cops over reacting on him?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Still nope, mace him if that doesn't take then pop him but I would still not just shoot the guy.  The mind set of just shooting someone, whether cop or not, if you don't want to be bubba's fresh meat, you better make sure that shooting was your only alternative.  I think most situations can be resolved with the proper application of OC.  Also, in this situation the reporter was being an antagonist, he was told not to be there or film and he didn't listen just like the guy getting the beat down.  When a cop tells you to do something like leave, whether he is right or wrong, you should do it.  If you do get a beat down, you will be in the wrong and the law is on their side.

something about that statement really bothers and saddens me as an American.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#30]

I don't have a problem with the punches during the arrest. He was resisting the arrest.

Hey guy, didn't you see he was up against the wall, RESTRAINED, getting rabbit-punched like a mofo while the horseback cop tried to cover for his buds?  

Next time you get a little drunk and mouthy, go ahead and tell the cops to beat the shit out of your cranium instead of just using the pepper spray.

There's a line between subduing a guy and executing street justice.

ETA:  I used to think one day there would be a civil war between the various balkanized groups in America (welfare queens v. illegals v. producers v. whatever), but I swear to heaven some cops want to ignite a powderkeg against themselves.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#31]
That reporters just damn luck that JBT's Taser was ruined in the flooding... Otherwise

ZAP!!!!!!!!!!  I been here for six ZAP!!!!!!!!!! weeks trying to ZAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

EPOCH
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Tag
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Simple battery? I hope the Feds get involved. Charges of "Assault Under Color of Authority" or something similar would be nice. A good ten years in club Fed might fix their attitudes.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Simple battery? I hope the Feds get involved. Charges of "Assault Under Color of Authority" or something similar would be nice. A good ten years in club Fed might fix their attitudes.

Article said 2 of the officers were feds.

Quoted:

Witness on the video said the drunk was surrendering until they punched him in the back of the head, then he turned and started fighting.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I am down here one street off burbon. The cops walking patrol down here are not under any preasure. Unless you count worrying wether your indited buddy will roll on you. These guys are fighting among themselves all the time, and there have been two ND's outside the police station two blocks down. I am shure 25% of these guys are honorable cops, but damn! They need to start regular drug testing, and since when can you wear a thigh holster in a titty bar?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I don't have a problem with the punches during the arrest. He was resisting the arrest. The officer who grabbed the producer was out of line.

They're teaching multiple punches to the face in DAT nowdays?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Big fucking deal.

The punches to the head for passive resistance, nah. But he was resisting and continued to do so.

Clearing a person trying to "interview" officers during an arrest, no problem. Get the fuck outta the scene news fag. You can get the story AFTER, not DURING, ass bag. Anyone who comes up onto a scene like that needs to be cleared from it.

Some of you guys are too, too much.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Big fucking deal.

The punches to the head for passive resistance, nah. But he was resisting and continued to do so.

Clearing a person trying to "interview" officers during an arrest, no problem. Get the fuck outta the scene news fag. You can get the story AFTER, not DURING, ass bag. Anyone who comes up onto a scene like that needs to be cleared from it.

You're kidding right?

ETA: I see you arent after your edit.

Coming to a city near you soon folks. You actually can hold your breath for this one.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Big fucking deal.

Quit trolling GD.

Do you normally punch people in the face to obtain compliance from restrained people? Is grabbing, pushing someone against a car and pinning them to it while yelling an acceptable way to get them to leave you alone? Particularly with no warning?

And the guy was restrained by four cops by the time the press guy asked questions. Is it the end of the world if he asks number 6 (at least) some questions?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:19:50 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Big fucking deal.

sorry man, but the same could be said about some of your "friends"

sad days are on the way for we subjects.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Big fucking deal.

You're kidding right?

ETA: I see you arent after your edit.

Coming to a city near you soon folks. You actually can hold your breath for this one.

He's trolling.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#43]
nice , striking the head for passive resistance. he was just missing a brachial stun repeatedly right ?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Let me guess, must be more to the story. Film at 11....
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was referring to the cop telling him to get away from him and he stayed there.  I was not endorsing the JBThuggery.  In short if a Cop tells you to move on, MOVE ON.  That is not an endorsement for PoPo abuse though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

but did they make it home to their families safely?

About a year ago heard one local cop say he was going home at the end of the day no matter what. I took that to mean plant drugs, guns, kick the shit out of someone, shoot someone whether they deserved it or not; whatever it took to go home at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, its like "move on nothing to see here".
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was referring to the cop telling him to get away from him and he stayed there.  I was not endorsing the JBThuggery.  In short if a Cop tells you to move on, MOVE ON.  That is not an endorsement for PoPo abuse though.

that's cool.

I don't agree with the "move on" stuff at all.

I'll take my rights to court if need be I suppose. that badge doesn't mean "above the law", just like that cop in the video is about to find out.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Basicaly, if you are a JBT and want to beat the crap out of a drunk you are arresting, and hes not complying with some resistence...  hold him against the wall and yell at him and hit him, get him riled into a frenzy and then really lay it on thick.  At this point its justified since hes genuinely resisting  That video made me sick when the cop grabbed the reporter.  BTW jeeeezus, it takes that many healthy young folks to beat up on a 65 year old drunk?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Is this the new post-Rodney King policy?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top