Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Posted: 4/12/2006 10:09:07 AM EDT
The other one is huge and unwieldy.  Let's keep the bickering to a minimum here and try to hammer out the details.

So, we're sending bricks to Congress.  Awesome.  So far, everyone seems to want to send them to their own congresscritters, and that's fine, but I suggest (as someone with A LOT of experience in this area) that we first focus on House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-IL) and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN).  They are the ones with real power to make decisions on this.  AFTER we bury (figuratively) the two decision-makers with bricks, then it's great if you want to send bricks to your own guys, as well.  But these things work best if they're targeted.

Also, the likelihood that the intended recipients will ever SEE the bricks is slim.  (UPDATE!  The bricks are making it to their desks, this is awesome!)  But sending them is worthwhile because of the media attention we can hopefully get, and also that people like Rep. Tancredo can get them if they want them and use them in their own media and persuasive efforts.  Heck, one of our bricks may well end up on the House floor as a visual aid.  So this IS worth doing.

I have contacted the John and Ken Show out of Los Angeles (KFI).  I think they are our best bet at immediate coverage.  I know some of you have contacted other news outlets, so if you have, please post what you have done in this thread so we have an update and can keep track.  We don't want to annoy them or come off as unorganized.  I personally appear weekly on a show out of Portland, OR, and if we can get this organized by the weekend, I will promote this project on Monday afternoon.

I am willing to function as PR Director and media representative.  That was my job prior to having a baby in 2004 -- PR director for a large grassroots lobbying group, along with media commentator.  I have the necessary experience and a lot of connections.  But this is not my project, so I will defer to those who started this.  I am based in DC, however, so that could be helpful.  Let me know what you want me to do.

Okay, with all that said, post updates here:  what have you actually DONE in regards to this project?

eta Old thread here

EDITED ONCE AGAIN TO ADD:

DO NOT SEND LINKS TO ARFCOM THREADS TO THE MEDIA.  DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT, DON'T DO IT.

ALL LINKS SENT TO MEDIA SHOULD READ: http://www.send-a-brick.com

UPDATE 10:30 AM 4/13/06

I have a press release written.  It's been proofread.  What I need is for the brains behind this project to decide if he/she wants to be a public figurehead.  If so, I need you to PM me your name and e-mail address so I can get your approval for a quote in the release, as well as add your name.

We also need to decide when to send it out.  I am leaning toward Monday morning, because the website is still working out some kinks and we're heading into a holiday weekend (read: dead news cycle -- God willing and nothing unforseen happens, in which case we'd be bumped to the back anyway).  But ultimately, what we need is to get organized.  If you've been instrumental to this point in getting all of this underway, or if you have something really good to bring to the table, please PM me your e-mail address and other pertinent info so I can get us all in touch with each other offsite.  Talking across multiple ARFCOM threads isn't working.

UPDATE 11:00 AM 5/3/06

Appearances on Fox and Friends, Sinclair Broadcasting and local radio.  Yesterday we made Rush Limbaugh's show, too.  See details on page 19-20.  Mods, I may start a new thread soon since this one is huge, can we transfer the sticky to that one when it happens?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Media Mentions:

The Lars Larson Show (KXL 750 AM, Portland, OR and National Affiliates)
The Dave Baker Show (WLAP 630 AM, Lexington, KY)
Sue Wylie (WVLK 590 AM, Lexington, KY)
The Pat Grey Show (KPRC 950 AM, Houston, TX)
The Schnitt Show (WFLA-AM Tampa - WIOD-AM Miami - WSCC-FM Charleston)
The Chris Core Show (WMAL 630 AM, Washington, DC)
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#2]
gato

Waiting for details.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I am hosting the site and any technical concerns should come my way.

I am in the proccess of having a very good technical writer who is on board with us do some articles.

I think Lady Liberty would be a good PR rep. I also second the motion to focus first on These two gentelmen: House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-IL) and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN) And then move on to our Senate and House People.

So if there are any technical difficulties please shoot me an email.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Tag to follow this one too.

Will follow up with my effort.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#5]
tag....
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Fantastic idea!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Can we get a sticky here, please, Mods?

Pretty please?  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#9]
How many stamps do I have to put on a brick to mail it to Washington DC?

-James
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#10]
tagola
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

-James

The consensus on the other thread was around $10.

Just a reminder:  Please reserve this thread as much as possible for updates and READ the other thread before posting any questions here.  99% of your questions will already be answered in the old thread, linked above.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

-James

Take it to your post office. They will weigh it and put the stamps on.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#13]
tag
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok, here is an update on the project.

We have a T-Shirt Maker, Another_Dude who is going to come up with some shirts. More details to follow. There will be no profit, anything over cost will be donated to the Minutemen.

So unless there is an arfcom uprising:

Webmaster and Content Administrator: texas_mustang_01
Web Hosting/Technical: dread-pirate
PR: Lady Liberty
Promotional T-Shirts: Another_Dude

If you need to reach me my IM will probably get full at the rate things are going so hit the "email user" link and I'll get it. Thank you for everyone who has offered and provided help. I will be getting in touch with you soon.

-dread
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#16]
TAG
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-James

The consensus on the other thread was around $10.

Just a reminder:  Please reserve this thread as much as possible for updates and READ the other thread before posting any questions here.  99% of your questions will already be answered in the old thread, linked above.

Actually, a brick will supposedly fit into a flat rate box tht you can ship for $8.50

I think it's a great idea, but I don't think it's going to go over well in Washington. I wonder what the reaction is going to be.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I sent an email to Hannity about this, with the website.

Some press would make it happen,,,

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Cost is $4.05- wrap the brick in a piece of cardboard, and then put the brick and your letter in a red USPS Priority mail envelope.  Make sure you put your return address on the envelope.

Best to you,
Cheesebeast
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I posted an official thread so I can get info out.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=454460&page=1

It will be used for official updates and calls for help, not discussion so please if you have questions, etc keep them in here.

I'll be back on around 7, so if need be, email me: [email protected]
IM box is full.

Link made hot - Wave
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Are you in 600x800 resolution?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Email sent to Laura Ingraham.  Soon to follow is Bill Bennet, Michael Medved, Dennis Prager, Hugh Hewitt, Michael Smerconish, and Jay Severin.

Followed closely after by emails to local NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, and WB? affiliates.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Here's a flyer for you all to print up and distribute:

www.freaksho.net/files/brick1.pdf

A preview:
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I sent a note to the Drudge report (referencing the www.send-a-brick.com website) that they should be aware that a lot of bricks are going to start piling up in Washington mailrooms!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Email sent to Laura Ingraham.  Soon to follow is Bill Bennet, Michael Medved, Dennis Prager, Hugh Hewitt, Michael Smerconish, and Jay Severin.

Followed closely after by emails to local NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, and WB? affiliates.

michael savage should be included.... neil boortz, and if you have local radio guys you should include them too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Sent news tips to Fox and CNN.
I e-mailed the link to everyone I know.
I IM'd the link to everyone I know.
I printed out copies of the flyer and will be posting them/handing them out around campus.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#34]
The website says to send a brick to our individual Congressmen or Senators.  Shouldn't we be sending it to a focal point to get the most coverage?  Like sending it to Denny Hastert and Bill Frist?  You need to set this up to get the most exposure, IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The website says to send a brick to our individual Congressmen or Senators.  Shouldn't we be sending it to a focal point to get the most coverage?  Like sending it to Denny Hastert and Bill Frist?  You need to set this up to get the most exposure, IMHO.

I'm sure that it will be.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Thats an easy fix............... send more than one!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#37]
When there is an official press release put out can it be posted here please. Sending the links will work but it would be better to have an actual press release. I've got a nice list of local media outlest that I can get it out to.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Here's a flyer for you all to print up and distribute:

www.freaksho.net/files/brick1.pdf

A preview:
www.freaksho.net/files/brick1.jpg

Just a thought..............I was going to send out an e-mail with the website AND this link.  However, it may be better if that PDF file is put on the website so that we can avoid posting that link or putting attachments in the e-mail.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I've got a press release and will post it later tonight for distribution for tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you in 600x800 resolution?

1024x768

What browser?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I've got a press release and will post it later tonight for distribution for tomorrow.

Look forward to getting it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#42]
great work guys and gals!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Hit Lars Larson just in case, he has been talking about it already locally, not sure about the national show.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Sent email and details to the Quinn and Rose morning show based in Pittsburgh, syndicated in several states and going national on XM May 1st...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#45]
FYI:

On the takeaction.htm page, the sendabrick.jpg href is pointing to an invalid url: http://www.send-a-brick.com/www.sendabrick.com
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Hit Lars Larson just in case, he has been talking about it already locally, not sure about the national show.

Already did -- he said he had just independently come up with the idea. I think he might push it a bit now.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I just emailed three radio personalities (Gregg Knapp, Darryl Ankarlo & Glenn Beck) that are on the local radio station 570 KLIF.

Here it is:
--------------------------------------
Greg, Darryl and Glenn -

I am emailing all three of you because I regularly listen to all three of you. Like many others I am fed up with our politicians ignoring "we the people".

Here is a plan for getting their attention:

http://www.send-a-brick.com/

The site just came active about an hour ago, so refinements are being made. Initially this was going to be a thing done next week but now it looks like the date will be removed to include an action campaign that covers the entire summer.

For under $10, each person can mail a BRICK (along with a message!) to their representatives as a hint that we want the border closed to illegals! Some choose to paint their brick RED, WHITE & BLUE or otherwise decorate it - but the message is clear regardless. Build a wall if need be, but DO SOMETHING.

Individuals are spreading this link and word about it all over internet forums & message boards, and by email. We also want to let you guys in on it, in hopes that you'll let other listeners know!

Thanks,
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I just emailed three radio personalities (Gregg Knapp, Darryl Ankarlo & Glenn Beck) that are on the local radio station 570 KLIF.

Here it is:
--------------------------------------
Greg, Darryl and Glenn -

I am emailing all three of you because I regularly listen to all three of you. Like many others I am fed up with our politicians ignoring "we the people".

Here is a plan for getting their attention:

http://www.send-a-brick.com/

The site just came active about an hour ago, so refinements are being made. Initially this was going to be a thing done next week but now it looks like the date will be removed to include an action campaign that covers the entire summer.

For under $10, each person can mail a BRICK (along with a message!) to their representatives as a hint that we want the border closed to illegals! Some choose to paint their brick RED, WHITE & BLUE or otherwise decorate it - but the message is clear regardless. Build a wall if need be, but DO SOMETHING.

Individuals are spreading this link and word about it all over internet forums & message boards, and by email. We also want to let you guys in on it, in hopes that you'll let other listeners know!

Thanks,

Awesome, thanks for doing that.  In the future, I would edit out the part about "For under $10 . . . " as it kind of sounds like we're collecting money and sending bricks FOR people, which we are not.  This is totally do-it-yourself, homegrown, grassroots stuff.  I think it's important that people know that as it gives us A LOT more credibility.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#49]
One small problem with send-a-brick.com I found was the links to other sites take you OUT of the website instead of popping up the new site. You shouldn't ever have links that do that as people leave the site and may not come back! Oh, and The American Resistance link does not work....

Checking for more.....

Email link does not work. Still looking...

Illegalalien.net is a dead link...(For Sale)

Still checking!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#50]
I have emailed Michelle Malkin about this and I am going to hit the Lexington and Louisville, KY area local radio call in shows hard and heavy over the coming days. I will also post a link of this to every message board I am a member of and will email all of my friends.

BTW folks, it won't hurt to contact the same national media players numerous times. They may not make mention to this project if they only get one or two emails. But if they start getting flooded by emails from lots of different people discussing this, then it is more likely to get mentioned. I think I will compose new emails to many of the people already mentioned in this list. Also, as a way of making this easier for our members, why not post the email addresses of the various national radio/tv media personalities in this thread?

Great work on the website. Wow, has this thing come together quickly! You folks rock. I am never ceased to be amazed by the patriotism and organization of this board and it's members.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top